TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonddust

Wrestlemania XXIV Discussion Thread

WWE.Com concluded their "Top Ten Matches that Made Us Sweat". Feel free to pick it apart as is your want.

10. WrestleMania 21 (2005): Money in the Bank Match -- Edge vs. Kane vs. Chris Benoit vs. Christian vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho

9. WrestleMania X8 (2002): WWE Championship -- Chris Jericho vs. Triple H

8. WrestleMania X (1994): Intercontinental Title Ladder Match -- Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels

7. WrestleMania III (1987): Intercontinental Championship -- Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat

6. WrestleMania X-Seven (2001): WWE Championship No Holds Barred Match -- The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

5. WrestleMania XII (1996): WWE Championship 60-Minute Iron Man Match -- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

4. WrestleMania III (1987): WWE Championship -- Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

3. WrestleMania VII (1991): Retirement Match -- Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior

2. WrestleMania X8 (2002): Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock

1. WrestleMania 23 (2007): World Heavyweight Championship -- Batista vs. The Undertaker

Shocked Austin/Hart isn't on there.

Also from Meltzer, I'm pretty certain someone mentioned this earlier:

--WWE has already learned of TNA's plan to fly a plane with a banner that reads something like "Watch TNA Impact" at some point during Wrestlemania. Well, it's not like it'll air on the broadcast. There are several other incidents that we're trying to get confirmation on that have taken place in recent days.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal's site says 68,148 tickets have been sold as of last Monday, so with the papered fans there should be 75,000 or so. I don't think having to paper this kind of event is a bad thing since nearly 70,000 tickets have been sold already.

At http://www.cfnews13.com/ they have video of the set being constructed. That tent over the ring is pretty high up. If there's any blowing rain the ring will still get wet, I think.

Meltzer is reporting that TNA is planning to fly a banner over WM24 that will advertise Impact on Spike.

Predictions:

Winners

Team Playboy

Finley

Kane wins Battle Royal wins ECW title

Punk wins MITB

Michaels

Batista

HHH

Mayweather

Undertaker

Man, I can't believe all my predictions are faces.

You are most likely not aware, dx, but there is a separate predictions thread. Post your predictions, there, too.

Whoops, my mistake. Just getting use to the new format of the board. Not use to all these threads.

Guest DCH

For the first time ever, they're advertising it in Australian newspapers. And not jsut a small ad either. It's a huge fucking double L spread with some stupid article in the middle. THe events being advertised are Show/Mayweather and both Main Events. Here in aus they still call it the WWF whenever they refer to it, which is once a year, so this is fucking big. Still not gonna order it I don't think. I don't order stuff since I can't really afford the 30 dollars Australian on monday nights when I have work to do. There no way im forking out 60 dollars. And it's Monday for Aus because we're a day ahead. Also explains why Aus gets to wacth Smackdown before the US

WWE.Com concluded their "Top Ten Matches that Made Us Sweat". Feel free to pick it apart as is your want.

10. WrestleMania 21 (2005): Money in the Bank Match -- Edge vs. Kane vs. Chris Benoit vs. Christian vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho

9. WrestleMania X8 (2002): WWE Championship -- Chris Jericho vs. Triple H

8. WrestleMania X (1994): Intercontinental Title Ladder Match -- Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels

7. WrestleMania III (1987): Intercontinental Championship -- Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat

6. WrestleMania X-Seven (2001): WWE Championship No Holds Barred Match -- The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

5. WrestleMania XII (1996): WWE Championship 60-Minute Iron Man Match -- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

4. WrestleMania III (1987): WWE Championship -- Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

3. WrestleMania VII (1991): Retirement Match -- Randy Savage vs. The Ultimate Warrior

2. WrestleMania X8 (2002): Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock

1. WrestleMania 23 (2007): World Heavyweight Championship -- Batista vs. The Undertaker

Shocked Austin/Hart isn't on there.

Not shocked they didn't put WMXX's main event on there, but am shocked they left _any_ match with 'He Who Must Not Be Named' on the list.

After watching the HOF, I'll mark out if the Rock cuts a promo with Santino. I'll mark for the Rock regardless, but Rock/Santino would make me happy.

I'm looking forward to seeing Flair/Michaels, and the age that I am, having watched Flair for most of my adult life, its going to be a very emotional time, its just giving me goosebumps thinking about it now, roll on tonight.

I can't find anyone who's ordering Mania tonight. It's the one show that I hate to miss bar the Rumble (which I also missed). So I'm hoping for a great stream tonight.

So the big question: With no Eugene, who is used to transition a segment into a vehicle for WWE Legends to appear on camera? Will we not get a wacky segment this year? (Technically it was Booker that initiated the Hallway of Freaks segment at WM22, but it was Eugene that got Ted DiBiase to do his laugh).

After watching the HOF, I'll mark out if the Rock cuts a promo with Santino. I'll mark for the Rock regardless, but Rock/Santino would make me happy.

The Rock's already back in California shooting a movie

I haven't been this hyped for Wrestlemania, since WM21...

Almost all the matches have potential to be in the good-great range.

Finlay Vs. JBL is going to he a stiff, hard nose brawl. They are going to beat the living shit out of each other. JBL's best work is when he's in a No-DQ slugfest, and Finlay is a very stiff worker.

Batista Vs. Umaga should be good. I think Batista is underrated here, he can't carry a bad wrestler to a good match but give him the right opponet and he will produce. Umaga is a good worker as well, he's pretty much in the same boat as Batista. I think their styles mesh well together.

The match I'm looking forward to the most, without a shadow of a doubt is MITB VI... With everything surrounding Jeff Hardy it makes it all the more interesting. None of us know what direction the WWE is going go with this match. Jeff Hardy was the dead locked favorite to win this match, but none he's not evening taking part of it. I think the best idea is for MVP to win it.

The main events should be good... I thought the WWE did really good job hyping the Triple Threat, but not so well with Taker/Edge. But either way, Taker/Edge will be good, you don't even really have the build up that match.

Don't care for BunnyMania.

HBK is going to be on his A-Game tonight, and Flair is going to give it his all. Should be a classic match, the atmosphere for it should be amazing.

Mayweather/Big Show has the potential to surpass Lawerence Taylor/Bam Bam Bigalow as the best celebrity vs. wrestler match. LOL.

Don't really care for the ECW Title, but if Kane wins it, I'll problay be more interested.

So the big question: With no Eugene, who is used to transition a segment into a vehicle for WWE Legends to appear on camera? Will we not get a wacky segment this year? (Technically it was Booker that initiated the Hallway of Freaks segment at WM22, but it was Eugene that got Ted DiBiase to do his laugh).

I would want to see Santino trying to knock down all the legends but end up eating his words but he'll probably get involved with Snoop again during the BunnyMania.

I took a look and apparently the sunset in Orlando tonight is at 7:43. I hope WWE could time it just right and have the MITB winner on top of the ladder securing the briefcase at that precise moment. I think it would make for a very good visual.

Edit: Not that's a big deal but it appears Richards has replaced Matt Striker in the Battle Royal. Odd to see Richards slapped on the heel side.

Dave Scherer is reporting that Team 3D, AJ Styles, Frankie Kazarian, and Earl Hebner were all over the WWE Fan Axxess events telling people to come watch the TNA Impact tapings.

I haven't been this hyped for Wrestlemania, since WM21...

To be honest, I'm really not pumped for Mania this year, but that doesn't mean I don't want to watch it.

Finlay/JBL - could have been a great fued, but the storyline leading to it has been to ridiculous for words.

Big Dave/Umanga - Don't care for either worker.

MiTB - It's been the highlight for the past 3 years and should be once again.

Bunnymania - Urgh... a poor excuse to get all involved on the card.

ECW Battle Royal - Since Chavo won the belt, I don't really care about it anymore. It would be nice to see Kane lift the gold, but it would probably hurt him more than benifit.

HBK/Flair - I'm not a fan of either and feel they're both passed it. But I know they will pull out an awesome match. Would have prefered if a younger wrestler got the rub, but we can't have everything in life.

Mayweather/Show - Really really don't care.

Edge/Taker - Should be a good match but the builds been pretty lame.

Orton/Cena/HHH - As much of a fan as Orton as I am, I don't want to see him win (I like title changes at Mania). I don't think we're ready for another Cena run and I don't really fancy another HHH run. So I'm at a lose with any outcome.

Overall, outside of MiTB, I only want to watch the show because it's Mania.

The only match/scenario I'm that interested in seeing live is Flair-Michaels, and with only a few hours to go I'm really tempted to order the PPV. There's some curiosity over Mayweather/Show, but not enough to give me that final nudge and make the order. I'll probably end up ordering at the last minute.

We've covered how poor the build has been for this event but the fact remains that aside from two matches, this is a very strong card on paper. Which can always be deceptive. People are really sleeping on Batista-Umaga. These two guys typically step it up big time in these type of matches and I don't expect any less here. TBS/Mayweather is such a spectacle, almost unlike anything else we've seen. It'll be quite surreal when that all happens. We got a pair of world title matches that should be sound as the previous WM main events. As long as the WWE title match is booked along the lines of WMXX triple threat and not WMXXII, it should be really good. Undertaker and Edge could go either way in quality, which makes it intriguing.

The concept of anyone getting a rub from beating Ric Flair is ridiculous. Maven beat Flair. Beating Flair isn't an accomplishment anymore. After Sting and HHH, Shawn was the absolute right choice for Flair to close out his career. I think pressure will hurt the performers just a bit but it will still be a very good match. JBL-Finlay is a match people are getting excited for and I'm not sure why that is. It'll be okay but I don't think people will get what they expect here. MITB is textbook but it works. As long as they keep it suspenseful and don't replicate too many spots, the crowd will eat it up. The good chance of Matt's surprise return will add to this match. Don't forget the elements this show will take place in, making it that much more unique.

WM hasn't really disappointed since WM16. Some were better and some don't hold up but they have been consistently entertaining and worthwhile.

Whoever pushed the idea to have Wm in an outdoor stadium should be fired. If there is blowing rain getting in the ring, they better hope in the very least that the MITB ladder match happens in a dry spell, as does Mayweather/Show and hopefully Flair vs HBK.