TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

Random Thoughts 3-27-08 to 5-28-08

I'm bothered that they can't bother to announce Colin Delaney is "From Rochester, New York", yet they make time to let me know that Matt Striker is "A former Social Studies teacher in New York City". He doesn't live in New York City any more, he doesn't WORK as a Social Studies teacher and he doesn't work in New York City any more, why bother with it?

Part of the gimmick for both wrestlers.

WWE needs to give it's tag-teams "team names". I understand that they believe all teams are made to eventually be broken up and that team names kill the individuality of the wrestlers and thus the wwe would then have to re-introduce/establish a new singles identity but there is certain marketability with team names.

Today you have Cade and Murdoch, London and Kendrick, Yang and Moore, Miz and Morrison (with seperate entrances), Ryder and Hawkins, Rhodes and Holly, Jesse and Festus, Deuce and Domino, Santino and Carlito - the only team names you have are Cryme Tyme and The Highlanders.

What was wrong with Killer Bees, Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, Road Warriors, Strike Force, Hardy Boyz, Dudley Boyz, APA, New Age Outlaws, Los Guerreros, Worlds Greatest Tag Team, MNM etc?

FCW has the Canadian Bulldogs, The Empire, The Puerto Rican Nightmares. Should they ever get the call up as a team will they become "DH Smith and TJ Wilson", "Stu Saunders and Drew Galloway", and "Eric Perez and Eddie Colon" respectively?

Aren't Ryder/Hawkins known as the Rated R-Entourage/Rmy?

Miz and Morrison have called the In Crowd on the Dirt Sheet for a while, it just hasn't been used on television.

WWE needs to give it's tag-teams "team names". I understand that they believe all teams are made to eventually be broken up and that team names kill the individuality of the wrestlers and thus the wwe would then have to re-introduce/establish a new singles identity but there is certain marketability with team names.

Today you have Cade and Murdoch, London and Kendrick, Yang and Moore, Miz and Morrison (with seperate entrances), Ryder and Hawkins, Rhodes and Holly, Jesse and Festus, Deuce and Domino, Santino and Carlito - the only team names you have are Cryme Tyme and The Highlanders.

Deuce and Domino should have been called "The Greasers" all along like most of us call them.

What was wrong with Killer Bees, Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, Road Warriors, Strike Force, Hardy Boyz, Dudley Boyz, APA, New Age Outlaws, Los Guerreros, Worlds Greatest Tag Team, MNM etc?

FCW has the Canadian Bulldogs, The Empire, The Puerto Rican Nightmares. Should they ever get the call up as a team will they become "DH Smith and TJ Wilson", "Stu Saunders and Drew Galloway", and "Eric Perez and Eddie Colon" respectively?

Tag teams are only there to get guys over to the midcard/upper midcard border, and then they break up. It's easier if they've been billed independently of one another than if they had some catchy team name.

I'm a big supporter of this myself.

London and Kendrick are the longest running tag team around today as far as I know.. they're pretty synonimous with being a tagteam, yet still dont have a tag team name.

They could be a bona-fida tag-team with their own name, it would make the world of difference to them.

I'm bothered that they can't bother to announce Colin Delaney is "From Rochester, New York", yet they make time to let me know that Matt Striker is "A former Social Studies teacher in New York City". He doesn't live in New York City any more, he doesn't WORK as a Social Studies teacher and he doesn't work in New York City any more, why bother with it?

I had no idea Colin Delaney is a fellow Rochesterian. I'm even more of a mark of him than before.

Vince McMahon thinks tag wrestling is a waste of money because you have to pay both wrestlers/teams to fill a time slot that a solo match could be filling. With TNA supposedly going to focus on tag wrestling again, maybe Vince will change his tune - I mean the recent re-push of the womens division has to be because of the rating the TNA women pull on a regular basis.

I think the idea that you can reinvent a wrestler when splitting them is a positive in most instances. I mean would HBK be where he is today without first cutting his teeth as a Rocker and then being paired with a manager like Sherri? However both tag teams and managers are looked down upon.

Vince is still afraid of over-establishing two guys as a team. Look how poorly the Dudleyz split turned out, look at how the "new" Legions of Doom worked when they tried to add Droz and replace Hawk with Heidenreich, the New Age Outlaws were boring as hell as singles competitors, Strike Force's split led Martel & Santana to IC title chases but no actual victories...once you establish two guys as part of a team to that extent, they need to be Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels quality workers to be able to break free from that "I liked them better when they were *insert tag team name*" stigma.

I disagree with that. Those examples are of people who were tag wrestlers because they sucked at everything else. Some people are just mad for the tag division and have no business being singles wrestlers. Sid was not a Hart/HBK level of wrestler, and he was just as big after the Skyscrapers. It all boils down to whether the wrestler is marketable and is given the right push.

Tag team wrestling never did much for me really. Sure, you had some awesome matches back in the day between Rockers/Hart Foundation/Bulldogs and then with the Hardys/Edge/Christian and Dudleys. My problem with it has always been the same formula every match. Face gets beaten up for 5 to 10 minutes, make a hot tag, cleans house.

Hassan made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan. The guy comes out, he's Arab-American, he's from Detroit (Syracuse, really, but Detroit has a lot of Arab-Americans), he tells the truth about prejudiced Americans fearing and disliking him based on his religion & his skin color. WWE fans boo him, and even worse, they chant "USA".

Unrelated note, I still get a kick out of how much heat Volkoff's national anthem got a couple months back, and especially how fast the crowd chanted "USA" when Sheik deliberately slurred "Shuttahellup, don't say you essa, you essa!"

Does anyone know why when a wrestler gets hurt they say that he was taken to a nearby medical facility instead of a hospital?

Does anyone know why when a wrestler gets hurt they say that he was taken to a nearby medical facility instead of a hospital?

I remember when Paul Brear got burned by Mankind at the Return of the Taker IYH, he specifically went to Strong Memorial Hospital kayfabe wise.

I just decided to check out HBK/Jericho on YouTube, and probably woke the whole block up when Shawn hit the Superkick from the apron. That was one of the best spots I've seen in years! Damn...

In Dave Meltzer's most recent Wrestling Observer Newsletter he notes that head SmackDown writer Michael Hayes made racist comments towards Presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

According to Meltzer Hayes said, “How can we have a President that can’t read the constitution?” and “If that boy gets elected, I’m moving to Canada.” Many within WWE questioned McMahon’s skit mocking Obama after Obama agreed to do Raw, despite knowing there was a risk of backfire if the Hayes story and his comments got out that week.

Bobby Lashley spoke out against Hayes last week in an audio interview saying that he personally did not like him. Hayes is currently serving a 60-day suspension for making racist comments towards Mark Henry. According to a WWE spokesperson Hayes will have to undergo further evaluation before he returns to work.

According to Meltzer Hayes said, "How can we have a President that can't read the constitution?"

Because the people elected him in 2000 and 2004.

According to Meltzer Hayes said, “How can we have a President that can’t read the constitution?” and “If that boy gets elected, I’m moving to Canada.” Many within WWE questioned McMahon’s skit mocking Obama after Obama agreed to do Raw, despite knowing there was a risk of backfire if the Hayes story and his comments got out that week.

How is that racist? Maybe he just doesn't like the guy.

"OMG Obama's black so it must be racist commentz!"

Former WWF Intercontinental Champion Ahmed Johnson recently revealed in an interview that the reason he walked out of the WWF in February 1998 was to tend to his dying sister. Johnson claimed she died three days after he quit. He said he was so embarassed by the way he handled things he's never had the guts to call Vince for his job back.

He also claimed that Ron Simmons purposely injured him when Simmons kicked him in the stomach during his WWF debut as Faarooq Asad in July 1996.