TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aero

Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: News/screens

So what hoops do we have to jump through repeatedly to get update points for our CAWs this year?

No, no selecting what part of the track your guy comes out to. If you want something cued up to your liking, you've gotta get audacity or another program to cut the song to how you want it to be then save it to the HD then select it as an entrance.

As far as wanting more CAW slots, I'd love it. A few friends and I have our own "federation" with about seven of us playing.

We've had to run Raw / SD on a HD and ECW off of a memory card.

No, no selecting what part of the track your guy comes out to. If you want something cued up to your liking, you've gotta get audacity or another program to cut the song to how you want it to be then save it to the HD then select it as an entrance.

Weak, however I do like your idea Broward.

So what hoops do we have to jump through repeatedly to get update points for our CAWs this year?

Apparently the "Mystery Mode" mentioned in a lot of the Q&A articles is for the CAWs and other roster members. They have yet to announce exactly what this new mode is or how it will work. They also have not discussed CAWs or their advancement at all.

IGN is still showing videos on the game, they recently have showed Umaga, Kane, Cryme Time, Mickie James, and Ashley.

Kane has his old music, not the song from Finger 11, but his old music.

They also have a video up showing Career Mode, it doesn't explain anything that's going on. It's just a video that shows the mode and honestly, I had no idea what was going on.

It shows that you can change the Raw, Smackdown, and ECW rosters and that you can maybe choose what title your going after. It showed HBK wrestling for the #1 contendership for an IC title shot and then after the match, it looks like the match you have gets rated (by stars!) and I guess depending on how your match gets rated, stats get automatically updated and you get points that you get to put towards certain things. The screens were going pretty fast so I couldn't tell what was being updated.

Okay the new mode has been shown on IGN in this article. It sounds like a very bare-bones championship-pursuit, without any frills. The way I'm reading the article, you have to unlock all the fighting abilities, but they don't tell you exactly how each ability is unlocked. I hope that's not quite the way things work, as that would be very annoying. I don't like my CAW to start off blander than Cody Rhodes, dammit. I'm also a little disappointed that they couldn't put in at least a text-box story into this Career Mode. How hard could it be to cut and paste the nigh-infinite model from SD:HCTP?

On the upside, you do get to choose the championships you get into and the match types, and it seems like your attributes improve based on how your CAW operates in the ring. If you do a lot of high-flying, your speed will go up faster. If you're using submissions, your submission rating will rise; reversals and grapples raise your technical rating, and it sounds like using your UC grapples will probably kick up your strength. I wasn't able to tell if this mode could be two-player co-op, but they way IGN describes it, I don't see how it could be. Co-op play will probably be limited to Exhibition, Online, and the RTW mode with Rey/Batista, unless they're bringing back the old PPV mode or something similar.

I'm still interested in Road to WM mode, but I like the sound of the career mode as well. It sounds very linear and basic, but I've always like modes that are based on contendership and winning matches.

Regarding the roster leak: THQ's official website had a page with a roster listing of a little more than 50 wrestlers, but it was quickly pulled. The roster was missing some significant wrestlers like MVP (who's obviously in), so it likely wasn't a final roster. THQ has said it wasn't the final roster, and Ashley, who wasn't listed either, was IGN's WOTD yesterday.

Great they're making it so only one player can upgrade one CAW at a time by playing one mode that takes hours to complete again. Fuck I hate THQ.

Great they're making it so only one player can upgrade one CAW at a time by playing one mode that takes hours to complete again. Fuck I hate THQ.

Not just that Scroby, but the GAME assigns you the stats based on HOW you play. Its... its like a WWE IQ!!!~~11 *sigh*

Apparently, if you use a ton of weapons, it boosts your hardcore rating but doesn't do shit for say..your submissions or high-flying. So now instead of being able to train a certain aspect (like last year) or simply assign points to a given area, I now have to go thru hours of tedious gameplay so that I can build my CAW's up to how I've had them in past games.

At least I won't feel bad fighting a 99 OVR online anymore, as I know at least once that jerk had to play the shit out of Career mode getting disqualified in every non-Extreme-rules match to slowly get his Hardcore stat up.

Oh, and there's a career mode for the guys not in the Road to Wrestlemania mode. Kinda sounds like the really, really old Smackdown careers where you just wrestled all the time without storylines and shit, but more details are needed.

Read Michael Alexander post a few posts above yours Oldskool, and read the article he has linked.

Looks like the rosters been revealed/leaked, whatever, with picture proof.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/d...3/svr09%20pics/

Quite a few new people I'm happy about. Londrick, finally! Edgeheads. MVP in a worthwhile suit. Don't really play as divas personally, but Victoria's finally back in the game, which a lot of forums have been clamoring about for years. In fact they got most of the divas. Oh yea, did I mention Londrick?

Looks like the rosters been revealed/leaked, whatever, with picture proof.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/d...3/svr09%20pics/

Quite a few new people I'm happy about. Londrick, finally! Edgeheads. MVP in a worthwhile suit. Don't really play as divas personally, but Victoria's finally back in the game, which a lot of forums have been clamoring about for years. In fact they got most of the divas. Oh yea, did I mention Londrick?

Awesome. Thanks for the link. I will definately be spending much time using London, Kendrick and Yang. Looks like Hornswoggle is playable too. I wonder how that will work. Now, are there going to be legends this year? I wasn't sure if there still was with the whole Legends game coming, however, that is the only way Flair and Tazz really make sense.

Hornswoggle and Tazz are most likely unlockable. I really hope they have Tazz's ECW theme in it. Man I love that song.

The roster will be fairly expansive this year. And they have threatened to expand it further through DLC. I can't say I'm all that thrilled with Career Mode, but between the huge roster and the Create-a-Finisher, I can say I'm definitely getting the game. Even the Road to Wrestlemania might be fun...I'm still a little annoyed that I'm apparently going to have to slog through a lengthy character-building mode to get my CAWs up to snuff, though.

On the upside - Trevor Murdoch is in! I hope that means that a well-animated "Sweet and Sour" tag finisher is going to be in there...

Shame Noble isn't in considering he was fairly prominent in the months leading up to any assumed cut-off. I was hoping for Knox, of course. But assuming they come through on DLC and we get an updated Noble and the Beard in all its glory, it should be okay.

I like Trevor's theme song, was that the song he was using when he was doing the singing gimmick?

IGN just tossed up a vid of MVP. They gave him his drive-by boot to the head as a signature move. It looks almost like he's stomping them in the head rather than kicking them. Anyway, here's the link to IGN's video.

Game calls it the "players boot".

Also there's a video of the Brothers of Destruction going against Cryme Time in a ladder match.

I think the Brothers of Destruction entrance is the best entrance I've seen in a video game. Just the timing of everything is perfect.

This photo of a promotional game box seems to indicate a "Highlight Reel" feature that will let you record your matches or moves and share them online. I'm not certain it's legit, but it sure as heck looks real to me. Now, if this allows us to use this footage to create our own TitanTron video, that would be all kinds of awesome... *continues wishful thinking*

Anyway, here's the photo:

P9300463.jpg

The highlight feature could be cool. Do you know what edition of the game that is though? The case looks to be a PS3 one, so I am just wondering if that is the regular or special edition. I know the special edition last year was PS3 exclusive and had at least one bonus match, and this feature is listed under the Edge vs. Undertaker match. Just curious if this is this year's PS3 special edition and an exclusive feature.