TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

WWE Draft 2008

While JR should have been told in advance, I don't think heading to SD! should be considered a demotion in that the draft went pretty well for SD! last night and it could be argued they are trying to build up SD! and JR is a part of that. Of course Umaga was jobbed out on Raw, Hardy is one strike away from being fired and Raw bookers didn't know how to book Kennedy - so after those three picks Ross was right in feeling slighted, however with HHH heading to SD! I think that should have went a long way in changing his opinion of the move.

SD! is home to HHH and the Undertaker for crying out loud, probably the two biggest power players in the wwe.

I'd say JR should just retire if he feels so strongly, however he's only 56 years old and needs the wwe publicity for his BBQ sauce publicity.

I would say that Ross' feelings were hurt that he wasn't told, for one thing. The man used to be a top executive for this company, and he likes working the live show with his friend and long-time colleague. The show he is on has the longest tenure, the best ratings, and maybe his current schedule is more suitable for his other business interests. He has worked that schedule for years.

The other side of the coin is that WWE likes the announcers to be genuinely surprised by the outcomes to get a truer emotion from their announcing. It has been reported that they do not know when a match will finish, and sometimes do not know who will win. I thought JR was wither doing an excellent job of acting surprised/disgusted last night, or he had no clue that was going to happen.

I side with JR on this one. The company should have talked to him and notified him before the show.

I bet that this deal with JR is going to turn into a big story over the next few days.

I wouldn't be shocked if he left the company over it.

As many of you know, I was “drafted” to Smackdown Monday night in the “random lottery”. Obviously that means I will be leaving Monday Night Raw and my long time partner Jerry Lawler.

I am not happy about this surprise development.

I also contemplated calling it a career Monday night and not going to Houston to tape SD.

After speaking with my wife and thinking on this matter until 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, I have decided to do the right thing for the fans who care and the talent who care and begin my new assignment.

It has been explained to me that the WWE’s Smackdown tenure on My Network is a high priority within the corporation. Allegedly, my presence is needed in that effort.

Many are speculating about when I learned of this development…the same time those of you were watching at home. I should have detected something with the demeanor of certain individuals either thru their plastic, poker faces or the perceived smirk that I thought I might have seen on some of their faces during the day.

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that’s not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

I will miss working with the King as the wrestling biz is one in which a guy can count his legit friends on one hand…even after a 30 plus year career. King has been like a brother to me….albeit an “older brother”. ;) We will remain friends no matter that our team has been corporately imploded.

I believe that I have been strongly loyal to the WWE no matter the hands that were dealt to me over the years. In my tenure there I have earned a good living of which I am thankful. I will fulfill my commitments that I have made because unlike many in the business, my word is still my bond.

I can’t predict how long my Smackdown tenure will be, but I can promise that no matter how long or short it is that I will do my utmost best while sitting at ringside. I am not the kind of man who will “phone in” a damn thing.

My sincere thanks to all of you who have supported me on RAW over the years. I hope I was able to provide you a memory or two. Hopefully, we can create new memories now on Smackdown.

Based on my professional experiences, I look at each broadcast as potentially my last, which helps keep me motivated. So with that said we begin another chapter in my crazy life in the unpredictable world of ‘rasslin.

I still plan on attending RAW in my home market of OKC next Monday and I hear that tickets are still available. Any one have any extras?

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/

The other side of the coin is that WWE likes the announcers to be genuinely surprised by the outcomes to get a truer emotion from their announcing. It has been reported that they do not know when a match will finish, and sometimes do not know who will win. I thought JR was wither doing an excellent job of acting surprised/disgusted last night, or he had no clue that was going to happen.

That was WCW. WWE lets their annoucers know whats going on ahead of time. They have scripts right in front of them. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the WWE didn't let the annoucers know about any of the draft selections. Tazz sounded really pist off last night about how ECW was being treated all last night and it really didn't sound like he was acting it up at all.

I think all three shows benefited from last nights draft. HHH leaving Raw is a plus for that brand because it sucked up too much television time and dominated the upper card - now they only have one Superman in Cena. On the other hand HHH going to Smackdown is good for that brand, because in the very least it will give the brand more focus from the writing crew. Kane NEVER fit ECW, so him leaving it addition by subtraction, whereas Kane on Raw as the dominant bigman at worst is a harmless move for the brand - put Kane in any match where you'd previously have used Snitsky and Kane has already paid off.

Rey Mysterio- He's on his last legs as a performer as his body is breaking down. I like seeing him head to the flagship for one last run. He counteracts the Jeff Hardy move as far as popularity goes and has some fresher matches waiting for him on Raw as well. Feuds I want to see - HBK, Jericho, CM Punk, London/Kendrick

CM Punk- It was time for Punk to move to one of the big shows, and while he could have weit to SD! just as easily, with how the draft worked out I'm happy he's on Raw. Given the lack of heels on the show at the moment, I wouldn't mind seeing Punk heel, but I don't expect that is on the horizon any time soon. I think Punk will bide him time in the upper mid card for the next while. Feuds I want to see - HBK(!!), Cena, Batista, Mysterio, Jericho, Regal

Batista- Done to counteract HHH's move. Dave was ready for the switch with his feuds with Edge and Undertaker running their course. He really doesn't have any money feuds waiting for him on Raw other than Cena though. Feuds I want to see - Cena, Punk and Regal.

Kane- Kane offers nothing special anymore. I'm still a believer that he should put his mask back on for one last run. However like I mentioned above if Kane jumping to Raw means less Snitzky then I'm all for the move. Of course we'll probably get a Snitzky/Kane feud sooner than later. Feuds I want to see - None really. Maybe Santino, and against Cena and Orton if he put his mask back on as part of a big push.

HHH- HHH making the move is probably better than moving every over SD! heel to Raw. It also sends the message that SD! isn't the B-Show. Feuds I want to see - Edge(sorry Edge), MVP, Finlay. HHH vs Undertaker does nothing for me, though that has to be the early candidate for the WM "Streak" match.

Jeff Hardy- Down to his last strike, you knew this move was coming. I would have liked to see Matt remain on SD! and have the Hardy Boyz treated much like how DX as a special attraction is handled. Feuds - Undertaker, Edge, MVP and possibly Finlay, though that might be too much of a styles clash.

Umaga-Everybody and their uncle saw this coming as soon as the draft was announced. Unfortunately a lot of Umaga's possible feuds were switched to Raw. Batista, Mysterio, Punk and even Kane all made certain sense. However this was made for one match and one match only - Undertaker. Feuds- Undertaker, Edge, Big Show, MVP, Finlay

Ken Kennedy- Show have never left in the first place. Raw didn't know how to book him, of course his injuries and suspensions didn't help either. Being behind the Who Killed Vince storyline would have "made" Kennedy. I hope Kennedy isn't kept a face though, he's a terrible face. He really needs to be built up again. Feuds - Big Show, Finlay and MVP

Matt Hardy- While this could be looked as the ultimate demotion, I think it finally gives Matt the chance to carry the ball and run with it. With Punk gone ECW will look for another centerpiece and Hardy will be given every opportunity to be that person. It will be interesting to see how the title situation is worked out, but if Matt fails it will be of his own doing, and not because he was never given the opportunity. Feuds - Benjamin, Kingston, Morrison, Miz and hopefully Elijah Burke. With ECW being taped before Raw by the end of the summer there is also a possibility for crossover matches there as well.

No, JR has mentioned that he doesn't like to know when the finish is coming so he can call it with real reactions. He knows what matches are happening when, and the script covers every detail of how the show is laid out otherwise. He might know when a match should wrap up due to the time constraints, but he liked to have that real reaction. I believe he said it was more so on PPVs, which is where he doesn't even like to know the winner.

That was WCW. WWE lets their annoucers know whats going on ahead of time. They have scripts right in front of them. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the WWE didn't let the annoucers know about any of the draft selections. Tazz sounded really pist off last night about how ECW was being treated all last night and it really didn't sound like he was acting it up at all.

I know you hate "the dirtsheet folk" because you think it sullies your business with speculation that isn't really news, but Meltz/Alvarez are pretty sure the only on-screen talent that knew what was up was HHH (because the move was done to accommodate his and Steph's new pregnancy schedule or something) and maybe Batista. Tazz really was mad. This isn't new though, this is how they did the crappy draft in 2005 where it ran 4 weeks (and Jericho didn't know his guest on the Highlight Reel was John Cena) and in 2007 when guys had to log on to WWE.com to see where they ended up in the supplemental draft. That said, it IS pretty WCW of them, but it makes things "more real" for the draft, which is fun for the fans.

Where the hell is al with his draft analysis?

So Matt was drafted to ECW...I'm a little confused. Aren't ECW and Smackdown sharing talent, or is that all done now? If not, why does this matter?

Edit: Nevermind. I see what's going on.

I know you hate "the dirtsheet folk" because you think it sullies your business with speculation that isn't really news, but Meltz/Alvarez are pretty sure the only on-screen talent that knew what was up was HHH (because the move was done to accommodate his and Steph's new pregnancy schedule or something) and maybe Batista. Tazz really was mad. This isn't new though, this is how they did the crappy draft in 2005 where it ran 4 weeks (and Jericho didn't know his guest on the Highlight Reel was John Cena) and in 2007 when guys had to log on to WWE.com to see where they ended up in the supplemental draft. That said, it IS pretty WCW of them, but it makes things "more real" for the draft, which is fun for the fans.

Where the hell is al with his draft analysis?

Well like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the annoucers weren't informed on the draft moves, but when it comes to matches and other things, I'm sure that the annoucers know whats going on. If you read Bobby Heenan's book he talks about how when he went from WCW back to the WWE he felt so much better at annoucing because WCW didn't give any information about what was happening to their annoucers while the WWE made sure to give that information to their annoucers. So that's what I ment, if their was any confusion.

And that's not really why I don't like Meltzer and Alvarez, I just don't like how people really believe everything the two of them have to say.

An unrelated note but somehow tying WCW announcers being out of the loop and Bryan Alvarez together, I was reading an archived F4W with a hilarious Thunder review. There was a 6 man tag but for whatever reason Tony didn't know the participants and kept complaining about Mike Sanders being on the ring apron, then became confused when he was tagged in.

Many are speculating about when I learned of this development…the same time those of you were watching at home. I should have detected something with the demeanor of certain individuals either thru their plastic, poker faces or the perceived smirk that I thought I might have seen on some of their faces during the day.

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that’s not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

I was a little shocked when I read that. That's just bascially asking to get fired.

or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

JR still rocking the 56k?

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that's not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

I was a little shocked when I read that. That's just bascially asking to get fired.

Which would be great for him since he wouldn't have done the wrong thing by quitting. Smart man.

Plus, WWE can't really fire him, at least not until they find another lead announcer. I mean what are they going to do, put adamle on smackdown, no way. I guess they could bring in Styles from wwe.com, but they don't like him either.

I guess they could bring in Styles from wwe.com, but they don't like him either.

Not to mention they made him stop calling moves properly anyway.

As far as going to Connecticut each week to do Smackdown post production, that's not going to happen. Either Mick Foley can handle it or the WWE can install a DSL line in my home to facilitate the work.

Which would be great for him since he wouldn't have done the wrong thing by quitting. Smart man.

I know the guy has been with the company a while, but to me, that just screams unprofessionalism.

He works for a company that lets it's employees know on live TV that they've just had they're job switched to one they don't want. That's unprofessionalism.

Besides...according to PWInsider, WWE installed a way for Cole to redo Smackdown from his home...so that was a shot at them to tell them they'd being doing the same for him.

Thoughts on the Draft:

Rey Mysterio - to Raw, from Smackdown: I wasn't very excited about the first draft pick last night. I think that Rey's size and style make him a much better fit for Smackdown and after his "do it for Eddie" title run two years ago, I don't want to see him anywhere near a World title again. I'm not really sure what he'll do on Raw, but I would like to see him in matches with HBK, Jericho, and Punk just for the hell of it.

Jeff Hardy - to Smackdown, from Raw: I was hoping we'd see this happen. I unfortunately can't see Jeff Hardy ever being the champion on Raw, but a title run on Smackdown seems not only possible but probable. He has a near 10-year rivalry with Edge that can be taken to a whole new level, and I can't wait to see what happens with that. Hopefully it will lead to a ladder match at some point. I was also excited that they were going to have Matt and Jeff on the same show to be used as a team every once in a while, but..

Matt Hardy - to ECW, from Smackdown: What the fuck? That was my initial reaction to this move. I just don't get it. Matt Hardy is good and all, but I really don't see him being the face of a brand and I don't know why they couldn't just keep him with Jeff. Plus, he has a Smackdown title. Hopefully, he will retain the US Title at Night of Champions. Then when Big Show (a Smackdown superstar) wins the ECW title, Vickie can trade TBS for Hardy and the titles can be back where they belong. Big Show would then be the main face of ECW for a while.

CM Punk - to Raw, from ECW: A big loss for ECW, but hopefully a big win for Raw. Punk's popularity is really getting up there..hopefully it won't die and have to be rebuilt up as a result of the move (see: Mr. Kennedy).

Jim Ross and Michael Cole - switched: I hate Michael Cole and JR IS Raw. Fortunately, this is the only draft pick that I really didn't like.

Batista - to Raw, from Smackdown: Anything that gets Batista away from Edge is a good thing. I'm very glad to see Big Dave back on Raw. I see the championship in his near future, and hopefully a full-blown heel turn until Orton is ready to come back.

Umaga - to Smackdown, from Raw: I really was hoping for Umaga to go to ECW, where he could get back together with Armando and play the heel monster to Big Show's babyface monster. I guess Smackdown is good enough, though he's still on the same show as Jeff Hardy. Their matches have been decent, but way overdone.

Kane - to Raw, from ECW: Thank you. I hated when Kane was drafted to Smackdown and I'm glad he's back home. I don't why, it might be because he wears red and black, but I've always thought Kane should be on Raw. Hopefully he will give the title to Big Show at Night of Champions and start a new monster run on Raw. The mask coming back would be great, but I don't see it happening.

Mr. Kennedy - to Smackdown, from Raw: I guess this is a good thing. Kennedy will have a chance to really shine on Smackdown and hopefully get a title reign sometime in the next year or so. Plus, he's got the feud with Edge all set up and ready to go. I'm also glad to see Kennedy and MVP back on the same show. I'd love to see a feud between those two.

Triple H- to Smackdown, from Raw: I don't know if I really see this lasting. I was hoping it would be Cena rather than HHH moving to Fridays, but I'll take what I can get. It'll be interesting to see if Smackdown finally gets the recognition it deserves as a separate but equal show. I see Triple H retaining (and Batista winning the WHC) at Night of Champions to do a title switch.

All in all, I'm very happy with how the draft switched things up. Now the main event scenes are:

Raw: Cena, Batista, Jericho, Orton, HBK, Kane, Punk

Smackdown: Edge, Kennedy, Triple H, Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, Umaga, MVP

I can't wait to see what happens on Sunday and where things go after that.

He's frustrated is all. To commentate SD! you have to be there live to be seen at ringside calling the match, and then you have to head to WWE head quarters in Connecticut on Friday to do post production where the announcers add in commentary to make it seem like the show is live i.e. mention current events and such. So the move basically doubled his work and travel time, and really for no reason.

Mr. Kennedy - to Smackdown, from Raw: I guess this is a good thing. Kennedy will have a chance to really shine on Smackdown and hopefully get a title reign sometime in the next year or so. Plus, he's got the feud with Edge all set up and ready to go. I'm also glad to see Kennedy and MVP back on the same show. I'd love to see a feud between those two.

I forgot all about the Kennedy/Edge MITB issue until you mentioned it. I was at a loss last night why Kennedy was gesturing at Edge - it all makes sense now.

Raw will get anyone important that they're missing, Smackdown will get a couple of people who mean little on Raw and aren't doing anything anyway so as to make up the numbers a little and ECW will get maybe 2-3 guys total.

Serious answer? Batista probably goes to Raw, Punk probably ends up on Raw, judging from recent months booking they do one incredibly bizarre switch just to surprise everybody (JR and Adamle maybe?) and everybody just goes where they want when they're needed anyway within a month.

Wow, I was pretty close.

Aside from thinking they'd give anything more than half a shit about ECW. Substitute '2-3' for '1 and take away their World Champion.'

Edited by King Cucaracha

JR Blog about the Draft Part 2:

Upon Further Review…

Filed under: Personal, Wrestling — on June 24, 2008

Changes in one’s life take some adjusting to especially at my stage of the game. This week I received an unexpected change in my professional address. Within hours of writing an emotional blog, I am positively moving on. I am going to do all I can to make Smackdown the best program the WWE produces. Working side by side with Mick Foley should be fun. It will be entertaining I assure you. Mick is a great friend and a man I greatly respect. The Smackdown roster is loaded with exceptional talent and the WWE wants the brand to grow and I intend to do all that I can in my role to facilitate that growth.

The abruptness of the “trade” shocked me. I most likely responded in a non professional way in the eyes of some fans. That’s their prerogative and each has the right to their opinion, As do I. Not to be cliche, but wrestling has been great to my family and me. I owe it to the business to “man up” and to kick ass on Smackdown. That’s my plan. My emotions are what they are and I will not apologize for my candor or honesty. My feathers were ruffled…poor me. I still bring bona fide passion to every broadcast and fully expect to deliver come show time. As I write this I am in the midst of some travel delays, but I will definitely be in Houston and will be looking forward to “business picking up”. I will practice what I have preached and feel that after sleeping on this major change all things happen for a reason. Life is good. My tank has been re-fueled. Let’s have some fun. For those of you that were offended by my earlier rant I apologize. For those that think “old J.R.” can’t get the job done, I suggest you sit back and watch. I wish my good pal The King and Michael Cole great success but my professional priority is to help Smackdown kick ass. In more ways than one, “the game is on”.

Boomer Sooner!

J.R.

I don't think I like HHH moving over to Smackdown. Smackdown seemed like a place where people could shine and do more than they were able to do Raw. I was excited to see Jeff Hardy and Mr. Kennedy move over to Smackdown as I got the feeling, that they'll finally get more to do and have better chances to win a World Championship and be in better feuds....then HHH is drafted to Smackdown and my hope for good championship programs is shot into the dust.

I don't think I like HHH moving over to Smackdown. Smackdown seemed like a place where people could shine and do more than they were able to do Raw. I was excited to see Jeff Hardy and Mr. Kennedy move over to Smackdown as I got the feeling, that they'll finally get more to do and have better chances to win a World Championship and be in better feuds....then HHH is drafted to Smackdown and my hope for good championship programs is shot into the dust.

On one hand I agree. At least on Raw you could have Superman vs Superman, now you'll have HHH dominate one show and Cena dominate the other. Maybe Hunter will tear another quad or something. Also from what I can gather the in-the-know sites are saying his move is pregnancy related, so who knows if he'll jump back to the flagship after Steph gives birth. Maybe it will give him just enough time to bury Edge and MVP...

On the other hanr the presence of HHH should elevate the whole brand to be treated as an equal to Raw.

At the end of the day I have more interest in SmackDown, more interest in Raw (as in, what will they build the show around without HHH?), and ECW airs here at 12am Friday so I couldn't (or is it "could"?) care less what they do with it.

At the end of the day I have more interest in SmackDown, more interest in Raw (as in, what will they build the show around without HHH?), and ECW airs here at 12am Friday so I couldn't (or is it "could"?) care less what they do with it.

Venkman is learning well :D

SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT UPDATE

by Dave Scherer @ 8:12 PM on 6/24/2008

The supplemental talent draft is scheduled to take place tomorrow. We will have more information on it when it becomes available.