TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 4/7 - 4/13

I gotta say, it's pretty jarring to see Citi Field looming over the left field fence after years and years of there being absolutely nothing beyond Shea's walls. Kinda majestic, even.

Agreed. It's quite a sight out there.

Why does Schoenweis have a job? He can't get lefties out, he can't get righties out, he can't throw strikes. I'm waiting for Howard to blast one off of the front of CitiField right about now.

Fucking Delgado. How do you hit Utley in the back on a tailor made double play ball? The Mets may never beat the Phillies again.

...aaaaand the Mets record no outs on (what sounds like it was) a routine ground ball.

Your average little leaguer could have made that play, but not Carlos Delgado. I could understand not turning two, but there's no reason he couldn't have at least gotten the force at second.

Sosa will probably throw a wild pitch here to ensure that the Phillies take the lead on sheer stupidity.

I sure am glad the Mets improved their bullpen, got off to a hot start this year and proved that they could beat both the Phillies and Braves. It certainly makes me forget about the epic collapse last year seeing the way that they channeled that negative energy into a great beginning for the last season at Shea.

Os are winning 6-0 in the 6th. This is starting to become a bit unreal as they are 10 outs away from win #6 in a row. Luke Scott and Scott Moore with HRs and Burres with by far the best start by an Os pitcher this season as well.

I have a feeling Marvin's gonna be in this thread for about another week and then we'll never see him again.

And seriously, did Utley really get hit 3 times and get hit by the ball on the basepaths!?

I have a feeling Marvin's gonna be in this thread for about another week and then we'll never see him again.

And seriously, did Utley really get hit 3 times and get hit by the ball on the basepaths!?

He did.

I'm glad the O's are starting off well actually. They are a sentimental favorite being somewhat within range yet small market. And almost no city can claim a better heritage of baseball.

Um, I was posting in the weekly threads last year though not as frequently so even when the Os eventually cool off I'll still be around.

If they get through the next 2 vs Texas and 3 at Tampa, next week is going to be their first real test as they play Chicago/Toronto for 2 each and the Yankees for 3 all in Baltimore.

Oh, and with Aubrey Huff's 4 hit 4 RBI day (shoulda been 5 RBI, he had a HR reversed to a Double) he now for the time being leads the league with 11 RBIs.

next week is going to be their first real test

Their first test would have been the first game of the season. They are off to a good start, don't treat them like the '85 Bears.

next week is going to be their first real test

Their first test would have been the first game of the season. They are off to a good start, don't treat them like the '85 Bears.

The White Sox are in first in the Central, the Blue Jays are right on the Os heels and the Yankees (while losing to the Royals as I type) are the Yankees. Those 3 teams are better than Tampa/Seattle/Texas. A lot of people despite the hot start are discounting it due to who they've faced, so if they can play well next week then things might be more serious. As for me, Im just enjoying seeing the Os play the best baseball Ive seen them play in a really long time.

And the Orioles havent started 6-1 since 1998 (they started 7-1 that year) which was year 1 of the 10 year slide. Theyve already matched the longest winning streaks they had last year (which they did twice, aided by sweeps of the Royals and D-Rays).

^ Edit: What he said, with numbers. ^

The O's start off strong every year, but Marvin seems to be the only fan on the 'net who reads too much into that.

1998: 8 - 2

1999: 3 - 7

2000: 5 - 5

2001: 4 - 6

2002: 2 - 8

2003: 4 - 6

2004: 6 - 4

2005: 6 - 4

2006: 5 - 5

2007: 4 - 6

Overall: 47 - 53

Source: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/

First 10 games of the season for the last 10 years. 98 was strong, 99 and 02 were miserable, the rest were completely average.

I'm looking forward to the AL East beating the crap out of itself this year.

whynotcx8.jpg

I'll let Marvin have his fun right now because the O's are playing well and he should enjoy that, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that they'll still finish in last place.

Marvin, you missed the entire point of what I posted. I was not saying that the White Sox were on the same level as there next few series of games. I merely meant that with how the O's were predicted this year, the very first game was a test. Hey, they might win their division, who knows! However, you cannot say that they haven't had a test yet like they are some truly great team. Sox were supposed to be better than them, and that was their first game.

Edit---Shit, I didn't mean to keep typing White Sox as their first opponent. I got it confused in my head.

^ Edit: What he said, with numbers. ^

The O's start off strong every year, but Marvin seems to be the only fan on the 'net who reads too much into that.

What they said with longer-term numbers (i.e. 1/4 of the year)

1998: 20-21

1999: 15-26

2000: 17-24

2001: 18-23

2002: 19-22

2003: 18-23

2004: 20-21

2005: 26-15

2006: 19-22

2007: 18-23

They have been suck to average for every single season with the odd exception of 2005, where they ended up losing 88 games anyway.

The Mets were about to get "Rick Roll'd" every 8th inning at home when the Power of Fark took over their online ballot for a new 8th inning song but then mets management wised up to what happened.

Im personally tired of that whole thing, as well as the idiotic cat pictures and "EPIC FAIL" crap as well..

Guest Teal-y Dan
I'm a fan of the White Sox and even I'm not that optimistic about their pretty good start.

Nick Swisher is the new Aaron Rowand, isn't he. Help me.

LOL, FSN, way to air the Bucks instead of the Brewers. The Brewers' popularity ebbs and flows, but nobody likes the Bucks.

I have never seen Aaron Rowand's house, but I am willing to bet that Swisher has him beat in that category.

Hey Czech, FSN Cincy added an HD channel for me, and you're missing Cueto's second start.

Edit---Struck out the side in the second. I'm impressed with not only his control, but also his confidence to throw any pitch on any count. He threw a nasty breaking ball on a full count that should have been a ball low. The batter just knew it was coming right down the middle, and he swung 6 inches over it.

Guest Teal-y Dan

Aaron Rowand's house is built on a hill, and every now and then it unnecessarily rolls down the hill and falls apart.

I wanted to listen to 700, but the weather is shit, which is making it hard to pick up any local AM signals, let alone distant.

Aaron Rowand's house is built on a hill, and every now and then it unnecessarily rolls down the hill and falls apart.

:lol:

Swisher bought a house in Parkersburg that was formerly owned by an executive that blew his brains out last year (not in the house or even in the state). It's about a $5 M mansion sitting in the middle of an above average suburb. Very nice house.

Guest tonyjaymzretro

The O's are the early suprise right now, but what about Kansas City? They're playing very well, and I'm liking the duo of Bannister/Greinke. I doubt they'll do great, but their 5-2 start has to be almost, if not as good, as the O's 6-1 start, right?

FYI, if the O's do beat Toronto next Monday, and Tuesday, you'll see a crazed drunk fan celebrating in the stands...thats me.

. I doubt they'll do great, but their 5-2 start has to be almost, if not as good, as the O's 6-1 start, right?

Of course not. Marvin doesn't root for the Royals.