Bread Finals

Cheddar Biscuits vs Garlic Bread

Taters!

Fuckin' Baked Potato vs French Fries

Grains and Grains

Couscous vs. White Rice

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You starchy faggots.

Cheddar Biscuits over Cornbread??? Christ.

Garlic Bread is a juggernaut. Skunked those hush puppies.

Mac and Cheese (Fried Okra got knocked out, this is my go to side)

Cheddar Biscuits (They is good)

Fuckin' Baked Potato (Simply superior to it's fried sliced knock off)

Couscous (Vendetta vote for White Rice knocking out Fried Okra)

Mac and Cheese (My pick at this point for winner though I'm still not sure whether it qualifies as a side dish)

Garlic Bread (I like cheddar biscuits but they're one of those foods that's almost better in moderation. I could eat Garlic Bread for weeks without getting sick of it)

French Fries (Closest battle of this round. I went with fries cause they're a senimental favorite)

Couscous (White rice is just too bland for me to give it another vote)

Mac and Cheese = Side Dish. When is it ever a Main Course? College Lunches excluded.

Picnic Finals

Corn on the Cob vs Macaroni and Cheese

Bread Finals

Cheddar Biscuits vs Garlic Bread (Man, I'm having a hard time picking bread)

Taters!

Fuckin' Baked Potato vs French Fries (The fatass in me)

Grains and Grains

Couscous vs. White Rice

Macaroni and Cheese. I've already talked about how much I dislike corn on the cob.

Garlic bread. Cheddar biscuits are great too, but I'm a sucker for garlic bread.

French Fries. All things considered, this SHOULD be the winner of the tournament.

White Rice. Never had couscous so I can't vote for it. But white rice shouldn't be in the semi finals.

Picnic Finals

Corn on the Cob

Bread Finals

Garlic Bread

Taters!

French Fries

Grains and Grains

White Rice

Guest Vitamin X

Picnic Finals

Corn on the Cob

No Mac and Cheese, you are not a side dish. Furthermore, you're not even that good on the side. Corn on the cob is essential to any good summer BBQ.

Bread Finals

Cheddar Biscuits

The Cheddar Biscuits miracle run continues! I completely didn't notice Hugh Puppies were going against Garlic Bread, because I just saw Garlic Bread and said FUCK I'm voting for that- but in retrospect, I don't think I like Garlic Bread all that much. You get bad garlic bread, it's hard or too crispy or burnt or way too much butter on them and then it just tastes like grease- garlic bread is one of those sides that makes you feel like you'll get too full or fat WHILE you're eating it. No thanks. I've never had a bad cheddar biscuit in all my life. CHED-DAR BIS-CUITS! *clap clap, clap clap clap*

Taters!

French Fries

French Fries wins again for the "when they're good, they're GOOD" and even bad fries are better than a good baked potato.

Grains and Grains

White Rice

Couscous is okay, but White Rice is way more versatile. Again, I really feel like I would prefer to be voting for Brown Rice here, but White Rice is essentially one of the main components of one of my favorite foods (sushi).

Mac and Cheese = Side Dish. When is it ever a Main Course? .

About half of the time I have Mac and Cheese, it's as a main dish or as some kind of co-main dish. Maybe it's just me but I have a feeling there are some people who will back me up on this.

Guest Vitamin X

I rarely if ever have had Mac and Cheese as a side dish. The only time I can think of it being a side dish is during picnics, BBQs, buffets, etc.- places where you're expected to combine a bunch of different things all together.

Corn on the cob. Good corn on the cob is fucking fantastic.

Garlic bread. How the fuck did cheddar biscuits beat cornbread? I'm not even sure what the fuck cheddar biscuits are.

Shit, shit, shit, uh, baked potato. I guess. Tough one there.

White rice. Too good to lose to something that sounds like a 3 year old imitating a train.

Guest College Party

Corn on the Cob: I don't like macaroni and cheese.

Garlic Bread: I don't like "cheddar biscuits."

French Fries: sure

Couscous: more adventurous

Guest Vitamin X
How the fuck did cheddar biscuits beat cornbread? I'm not even sure what the fuck cheddar biscuits are.

Once again!

1859.jpgCheddar-Bay-Biscuits.jpg

Moreover, there's usually garlic powder in cheddar biscuits, so it's like getting garlic bread, but with cheese in biscuit form. HOW COULD YOU HATE ON THAT.

I do love cornbread, but come on.

I call shennanigans on VX's comments about bad fries being better then a good baked potato. I defy you to put cheddar sauce, chives, seasoning salt and bacon bits (fakin' bacon even) on a baked potato and put it above bad fries. Simply impossible.

Mac and Cheese is like a side 90% of the time, ya'll just weird. Unless you are busting out my ex-wife's Mac and Cheese on Chili then it's a co-main, but still secondary to the Chili.

Also a Baked Potato is infinitely superior to bad fries. It's like, not even close. Fuckin' Baked Potato is better than most _good_ fries.

Guest Vitamin X

ah yes, but look at all the stuff you have to put on them to make it "good". What defines a bad french fry? I'd say something like a bland, droopy, overly greasy, or burnt fry. Overly salted fries even have their drawbacks. But do they ever really taste bad? Not really. To me, they're just disappointing. And easily fixed. Throw some seasoning salt (like Lowry's or whatver) on them and shake them up and boom! they're awesome again.

My beef with baked potatoes is not what can go on them so much as what the potato itself is like. They take so much longer to cook, and even when fully cooked 1. you can't eat them right away because they're too hot, 2. they're too soft or too hard on the inside, and 3. they are nowhere near as versatile as fries are. How many varieties of baked potato are there? Not a whole lot, before they start turning into baked french fries. But fries you've got shoestring, you've got curly, you've got steak fries, you've got so many different condiments to choose from- cheese, chili, mayonnaise, salt, fuckin how about that bacon one from Jack in the Box? Basically, fries ARE the better, evolved version of the baked potato. Oh, and fries can be baked or fried as well- I usually do mine with rosemary and olive oil in the oven, then put some black pepper on it and/or garlic.

Okay, criticizing baked potato for it's lack of versatility and acting like fries taste different when they're curly or shoestring is the comedy moment of the millenia.

Guest Vitamin X

What, they do! The texture is totally different.

Okay maybe the difference between curly and shoestring isn't a great comparison, but the difference between, say, seasoned curly fries and steak fries is huge. Curly fries are crispier, maybe a little greasier, and steak fries are big, nice, thick, and potatoey. A baked potato is just that. Baked a potato, cut a slice into it and then cover it with as many things as you can. You can't do anything else, otherwise it's no longer a baked potato, but then maybe a stuffed potato, mashed potato, or fries.

Okay, criticizing baked potato for it's lack of versatility and acting like fries taste different when they're curly or shoestring is the comedy moment of the millenia.

That's a fuckin' retarded statement, dude. Retarded as shit.

Anyway...

Mac and cheese

Garlic bread

Fries

White Rice

With okra gone, I don't really care anymore... but I did nominate fries, so...

Okay maybe the difference between curly and shoestring isn't a great comparison, but the difference between, say, seasoned curly fries and steak fries is huge. Curly fries are crispier, maybe a little greasier, and steak fries are big, nice, thick, and potatoey. A baked potato is just that. Baked a potato, cut a slice into it and then cover it with as many things as you can. You can't do anything else, otherwise it's no longer a baked potato, but then maybe a stuffed potato, mashed potato, or fries.

I was rethinking my position on why Fries aren't better than Baked Potatoes and remembered that I'd be the only one who had to experience The Squat `n Gobble (a local joint in Orem, Utah when I was a kid) Fries of Death. If you are 7 years old, and go, this is too much grease, then there is a problem. Rather, if you where ME at 7 and have troubles eating something you know there's a problem. I was the kid who would eat stuff for money.

After that fries sorta have a bad light cast on them.

I'll concede the broader horizon of the fry, but damnit. Baked Potatoes are just so damn good, if done properly.

I can see where you're at but this is all speculation because it depends on where you're getting the fries. McDonalds vs Wendy's, cooked in a pan vs deep-fryer, all different.

Picnic Finals

Corn on the Cob

Bread Finals

Garlic Bread

Taters!

French Fries

Grains and Grains

Couscous

Corn on the cob, as predicted, does indeed knock out my nominee. Garlic bread vs cheddar biscuit was a CLOSE call

Guest College Party

A curly fry from Hardee's is NOT the same as a shoestring fry from Steak n Shake AT ALL. What a ridiculous thing for you to say.