TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

All-Time NBA Roster Draft

I drafted Paul instead of KJ just because I think CP3 can get even better than he was this year. If we were going on careers instead of primes, I would have gone the other way. I was tempted by the Olajuwon posterizing but figured Paul would be able to make Kobe happier and could throw up a few hundred lobs to Howard the way he does to Tyson Chandler.

Well that's sort of stupid. I mean, it's your draft, and I actually like the Paul pick based on this last year alone, but you thinking Paul is going to get better shouldn't make your team better. You can't say "YEAH, I MEAN HE WAS PRETTY GOODUNALL IN 08 BUT HE'LL PROLLY BE EVEN BETTER SOMEDAY!!!" and have it count for this thing. I could say "I'm expecting Darvin Ham to come out and average 35/9/6 next year, so, take that into account when I draft him" but I h'aint going to. I think Paul will get better too, I don't disagree with you, but let's leave projection out of this thing, eh?

Well that's sort of stupid. I mean, it's your draft, and I actually like the Paul pick based on this last year alone, but you thinking Paul is going to get better shouldn't make your team better. You can't say "YEAH, I MEAN HE WAS PRETTY GOODUNALL IN 08 BUT HE'LL PROLLY BE EVEN BETTER SOMEDAY!!!" and have it count for this thing. I could say "I'm expecting Darvin Ham to come out and average 35/9/6 next year, so, take that into account when I draft him" but I h'aint going to. I think Paul will get better too, I don't disagree with you, but let's leave projection out of this thing, eh?

I didn't say that it would make my team better or that it should be factored in when evaluating my team. I simply said I picked him over KJ because their best seasons are about equal, but Paul's just coming into his prime and could get better. It was just my rationale for not picking a guy who put up monster numbers for 6-8 seasons in a row relative to a guy who has only been in the league 3 years and is probably just scratching the surface of his talent level. It's along the same lines of the Isiah/Stockton debate in this thread where the guy who selected Stockton did so (partly) because of his career numbers whereas the Isiah pick was made moreso due to what he did in his best year(s).

I've been picking based on a combination of a player's career and peak. I would personally take K.J. over Paul at this point because although Paul had a monster season last year, he needs to show that he can extend his peak to at least four years to match K.J.'s value, much like naiwf said.

Guest Vitamin X

I just need my point guard to go and feed my guys the ball. Although the point guard position is thin right now for a starting five, I'm surprised this HOFer, who was even mentioned twice in the first post as an example, is still around. If I could have this guy as player-coach, I totally would have, but I'm going for him as the starting point guard on my team since he was incredible in the assists category..

wil1-013a.gif

Lenny Wilkens, G

If I had the option to do it, I probably would've named him player-coach.

Damn, Wilkens and Cunningham were two of my sleeper picks. Well, at least I've still got this guy, who was ahead of both on my draft sheet:

Greer1.jpg

HAL GREER

"Consistency," Hal Greer once told the Philadelphia Daily News. "For me, that was the thing...I would like to be remembered as a great, consistent player."

Over the course of the 15 NBA seasons turned in by the slight, soft-spoken Hall of Fame guard from West Virginia, consistency was indeed the thing. He turned in quality performances almost every night, scoring 19.2 points per game during his career, playing in 1,122 games, and racking up 21,586 points.

He remained with the same franchise throughout his career, starting with Syracuse in 1958 and then moving with the Nationals when they became the Philadelphia 76ers in 1963. He was an All-Star for 10 straight seasons and a seven-time member of the All-NBA Second Team. He was also the second-leading scorer on Philadelphia's vaunted championship team of 1966-67.

7 All-NBA selections

10 All-Star games

21,586 career points (30th all-time)

Named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players

I really didn't want to move Iverson to point, but with this guy I might have to, although I think there are still some pretty choice points available that I could snag later. Pretty much the model of consistency, and that was before I even read the bio above. Dependable on both ends of the floor and a guy who was, aside from his first and last seasons, not susceptible to injury, or fatigue for that matter since he regularly logged over 3,000 minutes over the course of his fifteen year career. Solid all-around addition.

Glad to see some of the old guard getting taken with the recent picks, as I think they were getting overlooked for more modern guys who may be more athletic but lacked the fundamental skills that a lot of the old school guys had.

I need a defensive PG who can hit an open shot, take care of the ball, and get others involved. This guy does all that and is super clutch, Mr. Big Shot:

z22022073.jpg

Chauncey Billups.

* Gold Medal with Team USA, Tournament of Americas Olympic Qualifiers

* 2004 NBA Finals MVP

* 2004-05 NBA All-Defense Second Team

* 2006, 2007, 2008 NBA All-Star

* 2005-06 All-NBA Second Team

* 2005-06 NBA All-Defense Second Team

* 2006-07 All-NBA Third Team

Guest Vitamin X

Good pick, CW. I'm having an increasingly difficult time picking new, current era players due to my bias that basketball today is by and large inferior to what it was from `75-`99, and all the players I would have taken are gone by now. But Chauncey is a guy that's really overlooked and crucial to Detroit's success and will probably be looked back on as one of the better guards from this era, which is surprising with Nash, CP3 and so on being around.

Thanks. Yeah it's tough to judge with all these different eras. You have to look at a combination of things including size (that's one of the reasons why I stayed away from the earlier years but there are some exceptions), shooting (the 3 point shot being introduced later on), and how valuable they were to their team. I chose Chauncey over another specific player cause of his defense, shooting, and he's just a floor general. Similar to your pick of Lenny Wilkens.

If we'd done this thing 10 years ago Damon Stoudamire, Tom Gugliotta and ? would be getting drafted ahead of hall of famers. That's basically my problem with drafting current players early. And aside from the no-brainers like Duncan and Kobe notice that it's the younger stars with upside like Paul, Amare and Howard who are getting drafted early, and not the guys who have reached their early 30's and are sort of yesterdays news because they've not quite lived up to all the hype they had when they were younger. I don't want to name names of undrafted players, but you can probably guess some of the guys I'm referring to. If this draft had been done 3 or 4 years ago there would have been a different batch of rising young stars picked early.

Anyway, it's not that I think that some of those guys picked were bad choices, I just won't rate them as highly as comparable guys who've proved themselves over longer stretches of time.

I dunno people like Damon Stoudamire and Tom Gugliotta were never as good as Paul, Amare, and Howard. They never made All-NBA teams, All-Star games, etc. You have to take stuff like that into account. I'd compare them to like the Mike Millers and the Corey Maggettes of the world. Solid players but never at that level.

JESUS....Shuttlesworth that is...

t1_ray.allen.jpg

Ray Allen, SG

All-NBA Second Team: 2005

All-NBA Third Team: 2001

8-time NBA All-Star: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

NBA All-Rookie Second Team: 1997

NBA Joe Dumars NBA Sportsmanship Award: 2003

NBA All-Star Weekend Three-point Shootout champion: 2001

Holds NBA record for most three-point field goals made in a regular season with 269 in 2005-06[11]

- Some may think I'm reaching a bit here but he is exactly what I need in my starting line-up. With Duncan and Thurmond controlling the paint, Archibald distributing the ball and driving to the rim and Drexler doing everything, Allen is a perfect complementary piece. He can spread the defense and keep them honest with his shooting while also being a guy who can take the last second 3 pointer in overtime when necessary. Additionally he, in his prime atleast, was a solid defender and a team player with great character which is what I've been going after in the early going.

Good pick Goblin, the only way I think he was a reach is that I would have picked him one pick later.

My 5th pick:

post-2806-1210825789_thumb.jpg

Alex English/F/Denver Nuggets

25,000 + pts.

8 time All-Star

Led the league in scoring in 82-83 & 85-86

Playoff averages of 24.4-5.5-4.3

I guess this would be a good time to say that after the draft, I'd like all you guys to PM me your starting lineup, rotation, and a paragraph or two on what makes your team good and all that jazz. Afterwards I'll edit the info for each team into the first post of the thread, so everyone can get a glimpse of each team and their little story before making a vote.

I'd say go ahead. Had he sent someone his pick, I'm sure it would have gotten posted by now.

p1_red_getty.jpg

Red Auerbach - Coach

• NBA championships with Boston Celtics, 1957, 1959-66
  • Coached All-Star Game, 1957-67
  • NBA Coach of the Year, 1965
  • NBA Executive of the Year, 1980

The nine championship rings and being the namesake of the COTY helped, but there were many more reasons I chose him. He preached strong defensive rebounding teams, which gets Malone and Gilmore active, as well as getting out on the fastbreak, which benefits Dr. J and Adrian.

He was a well respected player's coach who tried to work with and maintain open communication with all his players. That would really be helpful on a superstar team, keeping everyone in line with each other. There's a great quote I can't remember about him saying that the only stat that counts is the win column. He's also demanding, sticks up for his team, aggressive and wants to win. That's exactly the kind of person I would want leading my squad from the bench.

I was wondering how much longer ol' Red would last.

Yeah. I kind of lucked out, especially because player wise, I was having a hell of a time making a decision for this round.