TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

All-Time NBA Roster Draft

Hardaway_Remarks_Basketball_NY157.JPG

Tim Hardaway - Point Guard

• Hardaway recorded 5,000 points and 2,500 assists faster than any player in NBA history except Oscar Robertson. Hardaway accomplished it in 262 games; Robertson took only 247
  • Hardaway shares the record for second most steals in an NBA Playoffs game, with 8 in Game 2 of the 1991 Western Conference Semifinals against the Los Angeles Lakers and in Game 4 of the 1992 Western Conference First Round against the Seattle SuperSonics
  • In 1991-92, Hardaway became the 7th player in NBA history to average 20 points (23.4 ppg) and 10 assists (10.0 apg) in a season, a feat he accomplished again in 1992-93 (21.5 ppg, 10.6 apg).
  • 5-time NBA All-Star
  • 2000 Olympics Gold Metal Winner

Tim was a great point guard who could defend and run his team on the offense. He was great on the fast break, which would work well with Dr. J's cutting to the basket and Dantley shooting.

I had a really hard time deciding between which member of Run TMC I wanted. I knew I wouldn't be able to get them both and I had even put in all of Tim's info then decided I'd rather have the better shooter for this particular team.

I wanted to have Run TMC come off my bench, even though C was already taken.

Remember to PM the guy following you after you make your pick. Let him know to do the same.

SG/SF - Tracy McGrady

mrgrady.jpg

7-time All-Star

2-time NBA Scoring Champ (2003 - 32.1 ppg) & (2004 - 28 ppg)

7-time All-NBA (2 First, 3 Second, 2 Third)

2001 Most Improved Player

-45 regular season games with 40+ points, 4 with 50+, 1 with 60+, and he's had some in the play-offs, too.

-Shares the record for most three's in one half, with 8.

-Actually excells in the playoffs, with 28.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg and 6.1 apg.

I actually tried to get out of my Maurice Cheeks pick to pick up Tracy, but I got 'em both, so I'm a happy man.

I just wanted to say, there is one currently active player that I'm quite surprised hasn't been taken yet.

And there he goes.

And there goes the one I was surprised was still on board. The one who I said last year would've been gone by round 3.

My pick:

MJ's personal bodyguard...

oak.jpg

Charles Oakley, F

- One of the toughest and most tenacious rebounders of all-time and one of the most punishing defenders of all-time. He'll give my team character and be a big guy to send in if somebody decides to cross the line with Duncan. A solid scorer as well who was good from the free throw line and could pass the ball reasonably well. He'd be a great 6th/7th man on my team and someone I can bring in for Allen when I want to play big. A front line of Thurmond/Duncan/Oakley is one not many teams would excel against and, easily, one of the best defensive front lines possible.

haywood_bw_254.jpg

Spencer Haywood.

4 Time NBA All-Star/1 Time ABA All-Star

2 Time All-NBA Team/2 Time All-NBA 2nd Team/All-ABA Team/All-ABA Rookie Team

ABA MVP/ABA All-Star Game MVP/ABA Rookie of the Year

Career 20 and 10 in the NBA, along with nearly 2 assists and a block a game.

This gives my lineup a scoring punch off the bench.

And there goes the one I was surprised was still on board. The one who I said last year would've been gone by round 3.

My pick:

MJ's personal bodyguard...

oak.jpg

Charles Oakley, F

- One of the toughest and most tenacious rebounders of all-time and one of the most punishing defenders of all-time. He'll give my team character and be a big guy to send in if somebody decides to cross the line with Duncan. A solid scorer as well who was good from the free throw line and could pass the ball reasonably well. He'd be a great 6th/7th man on my team and someone I can bring in for Allen when I want to play big. A front line of Thurmond/Duncan/Oakley is one not many teams would excel against and, easily, one of the best defensive front lines possible.

:(

Nice pick CW, Haywood was on my short list, but I'm gonna go with:

Bing1.jpg

DAVE BING

18,327 career points scored

5,397 career assists

Named one of the 50 greatest players

7 All-Star games

Bing, like Iverson, can play both guard positions, and if I bring him off the bench for Iverson I won't be losing much scoring. Both of my points are more of scorers than floor generals or distributors, but I'm not worrying too much about that Russell isn't exactly a ball hog, Pettit would complement either Bing or Allen as an inside scorer, and Hal Greer contributes in many other ways other than scoring points. This isn't to say that Bing and Iverson are ball hogs; ball hogs don't get 5,000 assists, and they would obviously defer to Pettit or McAdoo on the inside if need be. Looks like my team is slowly starting into a high scoring team with guys like Iverson, Pettit, McAdoo, and now Bing, and Russell and Greer both don't to be relied on as scorers and can't contribute positively to a fast breaking, high scoring team. Sorry I'm kind of rambling and unclea, but I'm in a hurry and you guys know of what I speak.

I also need a 6th man, so who better than the reigning Sixth Man of the Year:

ManuGold.jpg

Manu Ginobili

2001 Lega A (Italy) MVP

Euroleague 2000-01 Finals MVP

2002 Lega A MVP

All-Tournament, 2002 FIBA World Championship

2002–03 NBA All-Rookie Second Team

Olimpia de Oro (2003, 2004 (shared))

2004 Olympics MVP

2004–05 NBA All-Star

All-Tournament, 2006 FIBA World Championship

50 Greatest Euroleague Contributors (2008)

2007–08 NBA Sixth Man of the Year

2007–08 All-NBA Third Team

A terrific scorer and defender. He's a perfect fit for my team, even if he didn't play in the 70s.

DAVE BING

18,327 career points scored

5,397 career assists

Named one of the 50 greatest players

7 All-Star games

I actually tried out Dave Bing, Spencer Haywood and Connie Hawkins on NBA 2K8 to test them out. He was also on my short list.

It's been 12 hours, I'm making my pick.

This dude is the perfect 6th man for my team. Pretty fucking psyched that he's still available, I was afraid he might go this round.

2377620354_08ce6b44a6.jpg

Alvin Robertson, G

One of the best defensive guards ever, he made 6 all defensive teams, led the league in steals three times, and was top 5 in the category 8 times. He was also pretty well rounded, career averages of 5.2 boards, 5 assists and 14 points per game, though in his prime he was more of a 17-6-6 type guy. Can play or defend either guard position, like I said he's an ideal 6th man for me and a compliment to the players I already have.

I would've taken him with one of my next picks.

Come to think of it, that's the 2nd time you've stolen a pick from me (the price I pay for having the #1 overall pick I guess). Bastard.

I just cannot fucking believe this guy hasn't been picked yet. Of all the dudes I thought would slide, I never would've thought I would've had the chance to pick him. He might not be the best fit, but I can't resist at this point. I will say though, he would be sick with Magic. Could you imagine Magic running the court with David Thompson? His basketball skill was just silly.

David_thompson_dunk.jpg

He was number two on my draft list, only reason he wasn't higher is because I thought his peak, although excellent while he was at it, didn't last as long as other players I had listed higher.

I know CW said we could take ABA performance into consideration when drafting, but personally I'd prefer to just keep it to strictly NBA.

When I picked Cooper, my choice was between him and Alvin Robertson. In the end, I just felt that Cooper's outside shooting made him a better fit for the team I'm trying to build.

Guest Vitamin X

210px-Kerr-bulls.jpg

G and all-around clutch badass Steve Kerr

This feels like a bit of a reach here, but I'm taking him in the same spirit as a Mr. Robert Horry that was selected way earlier. In fact, according to wiki:

Steve Kerr and Robert Horry, another famous reserve player and clutch shooter, alternated NBA Championships for a decade, and combined to win 12 championships over a 14-year period. Either Kerr or Horry was on the roster of every NBA Championship team from the 1993-94 season through the 2002-03 season. Kerr's teams were winners in the NBA Finals in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2003. Horry's teams were victorious in the NBA Finals in 1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005 and 2007. Each won 3 titles playing for Phil Jackson-coached teams (the Lakers and Bulls), and every other championship with a team from Texas (the Spurs and Rockets).

With Kerr being the leader in offensive rating for a career and one of the best 3-point shooters in NBA history, I figured he's the perfect guy to bring off the bench to sub for Reggie Miller or bring in for Lenny Wilkens to go for a bigger, more outside-shot oriented squad.