TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

All-Time NBA Roster Draft

To add a 2nd color to my team. The FLYING DUTCHMAN!!!

riksmitspic.jpg

Rik Smits, C

- At 7'4, he gives me size off the bench and his offensive skills (at his peak averaged 19/7/2) are a nice counter balance to the grit and defense provided by, well, all my other big men. Smits was known for his shooting ability and was a near 80% free throw shooter (excellent for a big man). He was also a clutch playoff performer and someone who showed up to play every game. A fan favorite and very easily coachable, he'll fit in very well on my team and provide some energy and charisma off the bench.

This is not an easy pick, since there is only one team that does not have a coach until it gets back to me, but I figure I better get one now.

post-2806-1211667084.jpg

Rudy Tomjanovich/Coach

2 time NBA Champion

2000 Gold Medal Winner

He coached my first round pick to 2 NBA titles, so it is probably a good idea to pair them up again for this tournament.

To add a 2nd color to my team. The FLYING DUTCHMAN!!!

riksmitspic.jpg

Rik Smits, C

- At 7'4, he gives me size off the bench and his offensive skills (at his peak averaged 19/7/2) are a nice counter balance to the grit and defense provided by, well, all my other big men. Smits was known for his shooting ability and was a near 80% free throw shooter (excellent for a big man). He was also a clutch playoff performer and someone who showed up to play every game. A fan favorite and very easily coachable, he'll fit in very well on my team and provide some energy and charisma off the bench.

SHIT :angry:

Pau Gasol - Forward/Center

06120315501588013281321832i3.jpg

I wanted Smits, but I'll take this seven foot foreigner, instead. Honestly, he's a better fit for my team. 20 points/9 rebounds/5 assists/2 blocks... coming off the bench to play solid defense in the triangle system... I'll take it.

Also, he's been a rookie of the year, an all-star, yadda.

with my next pick,

1153202200artest4.jpg

Ron Artest - Forward

artestwithpuppies7eo.jpg

2004 Defensive Player of the Year

2004 All-Star

99-00 All Rookie Team (2nd)

02-03 All Defense (2nd)

03-04 All Defense (1st)

03-04 All NBA (3rd)

05-06 All Defense (1st)

One of the top 5 steals per game five out of the last seven games

Why Ron-Ron? Great defender against multiple positions, and he can score. As far as team chemistry is concerned, he'll fit in just fine. My coach is Auerbach, who went out of his way to help get Kermit Freaking Washington back into good standing, so Artest would be cake. Plus, playing with all kinds of legends would only keep him motivated.

Hahahaha, I love that you've got pictures of him holding puppies and standing with his family. Good pick.

Since Smits is gone :angry: I'll grab another European Center.

obradovicdivacfra0307.jpg

Vlade Divac (Serbian Cyrillic: Владе Дивац, pronounced [ˈvlaːdɛ ˈdiːvaʦ]) (born February 3, 1968, in Prijepolje, Serbia, Yugoslavia) is a retired Serbian professional basketball player who spent most of his career in the United States' NBA. At 7'1" he played at center and was known for his deft passing skills.

He gives me a good option off the bench to spell Ewing, and if I want to get frisky I could toss him in at Power Forward with Ewing.

I think this is a steal in the 9th round.

AAFQ006~Dolph-Schayes-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Dolph Schayes

NBA Hall of Fame (1973)

12x All-NBA Selection (6x on the First Team)

12x NBA All-Star (1951-1962)

NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)

Although I'm not using him as a coach, he was also NBA Coach of the Year (1966)

Did not miss a single game from February 17, 1952 until December 26, 1961 (a streak of 706 games)

19,249 points

11,256 rebounds

Definitely a steal, but I didn't think he'd get any respect from the voters so I neglected to pick him. Although the sim games have thrown a whole new variable into the equation.

Definitely a steal, but I didn't think he'd get any respect from the voters so I neglected to pick him. Although the sim games have thrown a whole new variable into the equation.

True on both aspects, the character issue on team chemistry may be null now too.

Great pick with Divac too Matzo, I was hoping he'd be around in the last round.

I was hoping Smits would fall in my lap, but I had Divac penciled in as even a first team option at Center depending on how early rounds went (he'd have been my Chris Webber slot pick, grab a ton of offensive firepower in the other slots and then work him in as a decent enough Center).

Vlade was "the other guy" who I was going to pick before deciding on Sikma.

Also, it's "The Dunking Dutchman". ;)

Andrew Toney, SG

15.9 points, 4.2 assists, .500 FG%, .342 3PT%

2-time All-Star (1983, 1984)

Member of 1983 NBA champion Philadelphia 76ers

The stats don't really do him justice, so here's a few quotes.

http://www.nbadraft.net/maurer001.asp

"Toney was amazingly strong, he and Moses were the only ones on the team that could post me up!" Barkley went on to say in the book, "I thought he (Toney) was the best player on the team when I got here. We had Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, and Julius Erving but the only one I was in awe of was Andrew."

Current Miami Heat general manager Pat Riley once said, "He's the greatest clutch player I've ever seen. The hell with Jerry West!"

"I tell you, Andrew was giving you nightmares when you thought about playing against him. He was already the Boston Strangler, so, by the time I got there, I had heard all the stories about Andrew Toney. I was given all kinds of advice on how to defend him - be physical with him, just hang on to him, fight him and hold him. I learned through my own experience that was the exact opposite way to defend Andrew. I thought it was better to just let him run wherever he wanted and try to let him get bored. Because every time he was challenged either mentally or physically, he seemed to respond."

"We're playing the Lakers, and the game is in overtime and we're down a point. We have the ball with close to 20 seconds left, so I call a timeout. The play was for Maurice to hold the ball and, at a certain point, Andrew would come off a screen for a shot. Now, I know Andrew heard me, but as the play starts, Andrew runs over to Maurice, says give me the ball and takes it from him. I'm livid. Here we've designed a play, and he just takes the ball. So, the clock is running down, and Andrew finally drives to the right of the lane. I'm not exaggerating, but three Lakers come flying at him to block the ball. Andrew lofts a 12-footer over them, banks it off the board, game over. His argument? 'Coach, I hear what you're saying but just give me the ball.' That was Andrew."

"Do I remember Andrew Toney? The Boston Strangler? Yeah, I remember him. I wish we would've had him. He was a killer. We called him the Boston Strangler because every time he got a hold of the ball we knew he was going to score. He was the absolute best I've ever seen at shooting the ball at crucial times. We had nobody who could come close to stopping him. Nobody."

Guest Desensitized

Scott Skiles: the player, not the coach. fireandthepassion

So are we still going to vote on the teams and then 14-19 play each other to get into the tournament? Vote first then whatif?sports?

True on both aspects, the character issue on team chemistry may be null now too.

Great pick with Divac too Matzo, I was hoping he'd be around in the last round.

Yeah, I don't like this computer simulation idea, especially with it just being casually thrown out there halfway through the draft. A lot of us have been drafting with chemistry and style of play in mind, with the idea of that being a judging criteria, whereas a simulator will just raw crunch numbers and the best statistical team will win, and if that was the case from the beginning people would have drafted much differently.

We should stick with the ranking of teams 1-19 by everyone to produce a consensus on the teams, and the team with the highest cumulative vote is declared to the winner. And I don't dislike the idea of turning that into seeding for a tournament and then having us vote on the matchups, but putting it in the hands of a computer simulator when we're all capable of analyzing it ourselves seems stupid.

In my mind our votes is going to be the best, but What If Sports is just the Cherry on top of the Sundae for shits and giggles.