TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

All-Time NBA Roster Draft

At the end of the draft, PM your starting lineup and rotation as well as a paragraph or two giving me the goods on your team. I'll edit this post with all the info, and then everyone shall rank the teams 1-18 with the top team getting 18 points and the last team getting one.

Also, after you make your pick, PM the guy ahead of you and let him know they're up.

We already have 15 people signed up for this, which is a decent number, but if you missed this in the previous NBA Playoffs thread, you can still sign up until tomorrow (Sunday, May 4th at 12:30 PM Eastern). Until then the people in this draft can still make their picks, and if you sign up from now till then you will be added after the last person in the draft.

I randomized the draft order by numbering each poster who signed up according to when they signed up (alfdogg was the third

person to get in on this so he's number 3). And I came out with the following draft order:

1. MFerXtreme87

2. 909

3. Precious Roy

4. Vitamin X

5. CanadianChris

6. Cuban_Linx

7. AboveAverage484

8. Brooklyn Zoo

9. TheOriginalOrangeGoblin

10. Gert T

11. Jorge Gorgeous

12. Steviekick

13. The Great Mazto

14. naiwf

15. alfdogg

16. Czech

17. Broward83

18. KOAB

19. Det. Frank Pembleton

The rules are simple. You have, eh, I don't really want a time limit, but I'd say you should make your pick in 12 hours. If it gets out of hand, we can officially put that rule in. You're building a roster of 12 basketball players and one coach (13 Rounds) from the NBA, and the ABA if you feel you need to get into that player pool (serpentine draft rules, reverse order for every even round). Everyone you pick is looked at as being in their peak so if you pick Michael Jordan, it's Michael Jordan from his Chicago Bull days, not Washington Wizard days. Remember to take into account team chemistry (how the player would mesh with other players, maybe team personality, etc.) and how the coach you're picking would do with this squad (also no duplicates so if Lenny Wilkens the player is taken, then Lenny Wilkens the coach is off the board). Of course this is all subjective anyway because after the draft, the participants will choose a team (that's not their own) as the team they feel is the best out of the bunch. So if you think Kenny Anderson would have played extremely well with Tom Chambers, you better hope that others share that same opinion.

AboveAverage484, you're on the clock!

MFerXtreme87: Michael Jordan, Jason Kidd, Bill Walton, Bobby Jones, Amare Stoudemire, Ben Wallace, Mark Eaton, Carmelo Anthony, Jeff Hornacek, Sam Cassell, Michael Finley, Mehmet Okur, Dick Motta ©

909: Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Kevin McHale, Bob Lanier, Pat Riley ©, David Thompson, Glen Rice, Tom Chambers, Allan Houston, Byron Scott, Latrell Sprewell, Bill Cartwright, Elden Campbell

Precious Roy: Larry Bird, Willis Reed, Grant Hill, Jerry Lucas, Kevin Johnson, Alvin Robertson, Brad Daugherty, Shawn Marion, Terry Porter, Darryl Dawkins, Danny Ainge, Tommy Heinsohn ©, World B. Free

Vitamin X: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Reggie Miller, Dominique Wilkins, Shawn Kemp, Lenny Wilkens, Steve Kerr, Mookie Blaylock, Tony Parker, Larry Brown ©, Bruce Bowen, Glenn Robinson, Eddie Jones, Jamal Mashburn

CanadianChris: Wilt Chamberlain, Walt Frazier, Elvin Hayes, Dennis Johnson, Billy Cunningham, Manu Ginobili, Maurice Lucas, Dr. Jack Ramsay ©, Gus Williams, Dan Roundfield, Kenny Smith, Swen Nater, Anthony Mason

Cuban_Linx: Oscar Robertson, John Havlicek, Dennis Rodman, Joe Dumars, George Mikan, Detlef Schrempf, Ralph Sampson, Bill Sharman, George McGinnis, Brandon Roy, Antawn Jamison, KC Jones ©, Muggsy Bogues

AboveAverage484: Bill Russell, Bob Pettit, Allen Iverson, Bob McAdoo, Hal Greer, Dave Bing, Don Nelson ©, Marques Johnson, Paul Westphal, Gail Goodrich, Truck Robinson, Maurice Stokes, Gus Johnson

Brooklyn Zoo: LeBron James, Karl Malone, Rick Barry, Dave Cowens, Chauncey Billups, Spencer Haywood, Red Holzman ©, Larry Nance, Jo Jo White, Andrei Kirilenko, Vin Baker, Lamar Odom, Jamaal Wilkes

TheOriginalOrangeGoblin: Tim Duncan, Clyde Drexler, Nate Archibald, Nate Thurmond, Ray Allen, Charles Oakley, Micheal Ray Richardson, Mark Aguirre, Rik Smits, Kevin Willis, Dan Majerle, Reggie Theus, George Karl ©

Gert T: Hakeem Olajuwon, Gary Payton, Wes Unseld, Dirk Nowitzki, Alex English, Dwyane Wade, Dale Ellis, Fat Lever, Rudy Tomjanovich ©, Jermaine O'Neal, Paul Arizin, Otis Thorpe, Jason Kapono

Jorge Gorgeous: Shaquille O'Neal, George Gervin, Dave DeBusschere, Phil Jackson ©, Maurice Cheeks, Tracy McGrady, Horace Grant, Vince Carter, Pau Gasol, Mark Jackson, Elmore Smith, Josh Smith, Kevin Duckworth

Steviekick: Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Adrian Dantley, Artis Gilmore, Red Auerbach ©, Tim Hardaway, Drazen Petrovic, Deron Williams, Ron Artest, Antonio McDyess, Gilbert Arenas, PJ Brown, Andre Iguodala

The Great Mazto: John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Bernard King, Reggie Lewis, Chris Webber, Connie Hawkins, Richard Hamilton, Frank Layden ©, Vlade Divac, Derrick Coleman, Baron Davis, Peja Stojakovic, Thurl Bailey

naiwf: Elgin Baylor, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Walt Bellamy, Mitch Richmond, Yao Ming, Norm Nixon, Dolph Schayes, Dan Issel, Bill Fitch ©, Walter Davis, Dell Curry

alfdogg: Charles Barkley, Jerry West, Steve Nash, Dikembe Mutombo, Michael Cooper, Mark Price, Rick Adelman ©, Jack Sikma, Andrew Toney, Tony Kukoc, Tayshaun Prince, Clifford Robinson, Joe Johnson

Czech: Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, Jerry Sloan ©, Rasheed Wallace, John Paxson, Anfernee Hardaway, Norm Van Lier, Luc Longley, Scott Skiles, Austin Croshere, David Corzine, Stacey King, Random Bull

Broward83: Robert Parish, Pete Maravich, Earl Monroe, Robert Horry, Elton Brand, Mike D'Antoni ©, Bill Laimbeer, Calvin Murphy, Luol Deng, Michael Redd, Nene, Vernon Maxwell, Steve Francis

KOAB: Chris Mullin, Bob Cousy, Arvydas Sabonis, Buck Williams, Sam Jones, Gregg Popovich ©, Neil Johnston, Chris Bosh

Det. Frank Pembleton: Kevin Garnett, Isiah Thomas, Sidney Moncrief, Alonzo Mourning, Paul Pierce, Chuck Daly ©, John Starks, Larry Johnson, Rod Strickland, Marcus Camby, Nick Van Exel, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Tree Rollins

adtrack-hanesx.jpg

MJ ALL DAY!!!

(Coming from a Pistons' fan, this isn't right but what can ya do?)

Guest College Party

Man, I forgot to sign up for a draft thread again? Dammit. Stick me in at #16. You have to. I run this board.

Question.

Are the coaches part of the actual draft, or will there be a round specifically for drafting coaches?

I say toss them in the mix, it'll make things more interesting in the mid-later rounds. Will you take the coach you want or that back up SG?

The coaches are part of the draft.

Czech & Broward, i'll add you guys later today cause i'm on PSP. You guys shall be 16 & 17.

I think we'll go with the former. Theres no reason why you couldn't find another coach that isn't a duplicate.

I'm in at 18th, no one better take Chris Mullin

Now, I'm totally going to take Chris Mullin.

I think we'll go with the former. Theres no reason why you couldn't find another coach that isn't a duplicate.

I think you should make it that guys who qualify for both (Isiah, Phil Jackson, Lenny Wilkens etc.) can be chosen as either but once their off the board, they're iff the board for good. So if Jackson the player is chosen before Jackson the coach, Jackson the coach is out of the running.

I'm taking the man. The Magic Man.

magic_johnson.jpg

I bet everyone saw that coming from a mile away.

I was debating between Magic and Bird, so this is an easy choice now

bird.jpg

The pic doesn't show even though it's clear you took Bird.

I can see it in his first post, but your quote it's the Angelfire Death.

It's Larry standing next to a Big ol Burger.

Guest Vitamin X

This was easy for me seeing as how a lot of big shooters were taken. With dominant big men being more valuable than sharpshooters in the NBA, I'll be taking:

nba_dime_430.jpg

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, C and his trademark Skyhook shot.

I know there are still at least two more great big men out there, but I feel that Jabbar was the best of all of them.

Aw, man, I wanted Roger Murdock. I was even going to use the clip from Airplane! instead of Generic NBA Shot #749.

Instead, I'm "stuck" with maybe the most dominant big man of them all...

wilt100.jpg

The Big Dipper himself, Wilt Chamberlain.

Career highlights:

31,419 points (3rd all-time)

23,924 rebounds (1st all-time)

4,643 assists (44th all-time)

Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1978)

2x NBA champion (1967, 1972)

4x NBA MVP (1960, 1966-68)

1972 Finals MVP

1960 All-Star Game MVP

13x NBA All-Star

7x All-NBA First Team (1960–62, 1964, 1966–68)

3x All-NBA Second Team (1963, 1965, 1972)

NBA 35th Anniversary Team

NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

#13 on SportsCentury: ESPN's 100 Greatest Athletes of the 20th Century

Notable records held:

Most points in a game (100)

Most FG in a game (36)

Most rebounds in a game (55)

Highest scoring average in a season (50.4)

Highest rookie scoring average (37.6)

Most 50-point games in a season (45)

Most 40-point games in a season (63)

Most FG made in a season (1,597)

Highest FG% in a season (72.7)

Most rebounds in a season (2,149)

Most consecutive scoring titles (7, tied with Michael Jordan)

Most 60-point games in a career (32)

Most 50-point games in a career (118)

Most 40-point games in a career (271)

Most consecutive 50-point games (7)

Most consecutive 40-point games (14, twice)

Most rebounds in a career (23,924)

Highest career rebounding average (22.9)

Most rebounding titles (11)

Most consecutive triple-doubles (11, before blocks and steals were counted as stats)

Most FG made in a playoff game (24, tied with John Havlicek and Michael Jordan)

Most rebounds in a playoff game (41)

418px-BRussell.jpg

BILL RUSSELL

5 Most Valuable Player Awards

11 All-NBA Selections

21,620 Rebounds; 2nd all-time

12 All-Star Games

Named to the NBA's 50th Anniversary Team

William Felton "Bill" Russell (born February 12, 1934) is a retired American professional basketball player who played center for the Boston Celtics of the NBA. A five-time winner of the NBA Most Valuable Player Award and a twelve-time All-Star, the 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) Russell was the centerpiece of the Celtics dynasty that won eleven NBA Championships during Russell's thirteen-year career. Along with Henri Richard of the NHL's Montreal Canadiens, Russell holds the record for the most championships won by an athlete in a North American sports league. Before his professional career, Russell led the University of San Francisco to two consecutive National Collegiate Athletic Association championships (1955, 1956). He also won a gold medal at the 1956 Summer Olympics as captain of the U.S. national basketball team.

Russell is widely considered one of the best defensive players in NBA history. His shot-blocking and man-to-man defense were major reasons for the Celtics' success, and he inspired other players to elevate their own defensive play. Russell was equally notable for his rebounding abilities. He led the NBA in rebounds four times and tallied 21,620 total rebounds in his career. He is one of just two NBA players (the other being prominent rival Wilt Chamberlain) to have grabbed over fifty rebounds in a single game. Though never the focal point of the Celtics' offense, Russell also scored 14,522 career points and provided effective passing.

Playing in the wake of pioneers like Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, and Ray Felix, Russell was the first African American player to achieve superstar status in the NBA. He also served a three-year (1966–69) stint as player-coach for the Celtics, thus becoming the first African American coach in any major American professional sports league. However, Russell frequently battled with racism. Many sports fans in Boston shunned the Celtics during Russell's tenure with the team, and Russell received little support from the local press. When he retired, Russell left Boston with a bitter attitude, although in recent years his relationship with the city has improved.

Russell is now a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. He was named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996. In 2007, he was enshrined in the FIBA Hall of Fame.

This is a cool thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do when you're down to your 10th man and what-not. I really want someone to take Vin Baker or Pat Burke to just sit on the edge of his uber-team's uber-bench.

I think its going to get interesting by the end of the second round, as people will be questioning/explaining their logic.

I also like the idea of drafting coaches at anytime during the draft.