TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

All-Time NBA Roster Draft

I won't front... Great pick, Sabonis was about Hakeem level in his prime in the Euro-leagues. Too bad he wasn't able to show it in American.

Anyway my picks...

Sidney Moncrief

moncrief.jpg

Career highlights and awards

5-time NBA All-Star (1982-86)

2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1983, 1984)

1 All-NBA First Team

4-time All-NBA Second Team

4-time NBA All-Defensive First Team

1 NBA All-Defensive Second Team

Very overlooked shooting guard... Amazing man to man defense was able to shutdown the main scorer of the opposite team, was a good scoring who can give you 20 a night in his prime, hard worker who always came to play... He was intense on both sides of the court. I'm glad he droped to me.

and with the other pick...

Alonzo Mourning

nba_g_zo_268.jpg

NBA Champion: 2006

All-NBA First Team: 1999

All-NBA Second Team: 2000

2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 1999, 2000

2-time NBA All-Defensive First Team: 1999, 2000

7-time NBA All-Star: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002

Heat Franchise All-time Leading Scorer

Led NBA in blocked shots: 3.91 bpg in 1999

NBA All-Rookie 1st Team in 1993

Won bronze at the 1990 FIBA World Championship with the US national team [5]

Won gold at the 1994 FIBA World Championship [6] and the 2000 Olympic Games with the US national team

There was another person whom I thought about drafting, but I figured Alonzo would fit better with the team I have now because of his shot blocking ability. Before cancer, he was a monster. He was the best shotblocker in the NBA in his prime, while averaging around 10 boards a night along with 20 points per game. Was a dominating center in the era Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq, or also known as the era of big men... He is the next best thing IMO.

It should be also noted that with these 2 picks, I know have 3 players who have won Defensive Player of the Year awards.

Horry%20aka%20Big_Shot_Rob.jpg

Robert Horry aka Big Shot Rob

Needed a someone who I felt could knock down shots that were being created by both Pete and Earl.

Guest Vitamin X

DAMN! I was going to take Horry as my clutch time guy. Well, I guess I got Reggie for that.

I'm still pissed about that. I was totally planning on taking him in the 4th. :angry:

If you think about it, Sloan is a great coach, in his whole career he's only had a couple of bad seasons record wise. Hell he almost got the Jazz back into the playoffs the year Stockton and Malone left when he had Andrei Kirilenko as his main weapon and like nobody else.

I can see the reasoning, Czech wants Bulls, and hell, I was planning on taking him as a homer move. I've always felt that Jackson was overrated as a coach. Fucking Zen Hippie Motherfucker.

Guest Desensitized

Redemption for my oversight!

rasheed.jpg

I have a basketball crush on Rasheed Wallace. Imagine how good he would've been if he ever gave a damn.

mutombo-prst-mala.jpg

Dikembe Mutombo, C

Career averages of 9.9 points, 10.4 rebounds (12,326, 17th all-time), 2.8 blocks (7th all-time, 3,278 total blocks, 2nd all-time), .518 FG%

2-time rebounding champion (2000-01)

3-time blocked shots leader (1994-96)

4-time Defensive Player of the Year

All-NBA 2nd team (2001)

All-NBA 3rd team (1998, 2002)

6-time All Defense (3x 1st team)

8-time All-Star

mutombo-prst-mala.jpg

Dikembe Mutombo, C

Career averages of 9.9 points, 10.4 rebounds (12,326, 17th all-time), 2.8 blocks (7th all-time, 3,278 total blocks, 2nd all-time), .518 FG%

2-time rebounding champion (2000-01)

3-time blocked shots leader (1994-96)

4-time Defensive Player of the Year

All-NBA 2nd team (2001)

All-NBA 3rd team (1998, 2002)

6-time All Defense (3x 1st team)

8-time All-Star

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Dikembe~!

Most of the guys he's being compared to have been taken and looking at his numbers from this year I can't find else anyone who has a better one.

chris.paul.jpg

Chris Paul

2006 NBA Rookie of the Year

All-NBA 1st Team Selection (2008)

NBA All-Star (2008)

Led the league in assists (2008)

Led the league in total steals (2006 & 2008)

He was the quiet Celtic with the infectious smile. He was reserved and almost shy but his actions, both on and off the basketball court, spoke much louder than any words. He was a 6-7-basketball player, the captain of the team and the leading scorer. He was a devoted husband, father and friend to many. He was the torchbearer to a new Green and White generation. He was a soft-spoken yet powerful leader. Reggie Lewis, 27 years old, fell victim to natural causes and on Tuesday, July 27, 1993, Celtics fans tearfully said, 'good bye'.

Ten years later, Celtics.com fondly remembers him.

Born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, Lewis enjoyed success and early fame as a key member of a 50-0 Dunbar High School basketball team that also featured future NBA players Reggie Williams, David Wingate and Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues. But he never let undefeated seasons or 30-point scoring nights interfere or distract the soul, the personality, the man himself.

That was not Reggie Lewis, nor his style.

He went on to college to Boston's Northeastern University and became an instant success averaging 17.8 points per game in his freshman year. Three years later, he would conclude his brilliant collegiate career averaging 22.2 points while connecting on almost half his field goals (1,043-for-2,098, 49.7%). The Huskies captain graduated as the team's all-time leading scorer, ninth-best in NCAA history, and in ceremonies on January 21, 1989 had his familiar number 35 retired to the Matthews Arena rafters.

Basketball experts often use words like, 'potential' and 'prime'. Reggie Lewis played only six seasons with the Boston Celtics and he had barely reached his 'peak'.

He was Boston's top draft choice (22nd pick overall in the first round) in 1987. The Celtics top management team of President Red Auerbach, General Manager Jan Volk and Head Coach Jim Rodgers liked what they saw in Lewis on that day, June 22, 1987.

Like most rookies in Celtics history, the first year is a learning one, i.e. sit and watch, and Lewis' was no exception. But he observed and learned and pushed himself in year two and appeared in 81 of the 82 regular season games and finished the campaign averaging 18.5 points per game. More importantly, he stepped in and comforted Celtics fans' fears and worries, after Larry Bird missed almost the entire season due to surgery.

Celtics fans witnessed true flashes of brilliance in Lewis during 1991-92, as he averaged a career-best 20.8 points per game (he averaged the same figure the following season) while playing in all 82 games.

Lewis appeared in the 1992 NBA All-Star game.

Photo: Steve Lipofsky

He posted a spectacular career-high 28.0 points per game in the 1992 playoffs and was the lone Celtic to be named the NBA Eastern Conference All-Star Team.

By 1992-93 he had replaced the legendary Bird as the captain of the Celtics. The soft-spoken guard had joined a select group of Celtic greats, like, Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, John Havlicek and Dave Cowens, as the team leader. Quite often, verbal remarks seemed to take a back seat. As Auerbach said, "Reggie doesn't say a lot of words, he lets his game speak for him."

Ironically, Reggie was marking his first playoff game as team captain, on April 29, 1993 at the Boston Garden facing the Charlotte Hornets, when after pouring-in 17 points (on 7-for-11 field goal and 3-for-4 free throw shooting) in just 13 minutes he collapsed on the famous parquet floor. It proved to be his final game.

There will never be a clear method of telling just how good Reggie Lewis would have been. We caught a brief moment. We have many memories.

His spirit lives on. The beautiful Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center located in Roxbury, MA is a testament to the Hall of Fame status he has achieved in the community. He remains the only Celtic in the 57-year history of the franchise to have had 100 rebounds, 100 assists, 100 steals and 100 blocked shots in a single season (1991-92 with 394 rebounds, 185 assists, 125 steals and 105 blocked shots). And, joining twenty other distinguished legends that have had their number retired, his #35 will forever be observed and honored in the rafters of the FleetCenter.

reggie_lewis.jpg

Reggie Lewis out of Northeastern

I'm really glad I got him. Really.

With my fourth pick, I take....

artis4_050804.jpg

Artis Gilmore, Center

5x All-ABA First Team (1972-76)

5x ABA All-Defensive First Team (1972-76)

5x ABA All-Star (1972-76)

ABA MVP (1972)

ABA Rookie of the Year (1972)

ABA All-Star Game MVP (1974)

ABA Playoff MVP (1975)

1x NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1978)

6x NBA All-Star (1978, 1979, 1981-83, 1986)

ABA's All-Time Team (1997)

NBA career leader in field goal percentage (.599)

From wiki:

Despite an ABA career in which he averaged 22.3 points and 17.1 rebounds per game, NBA career averages of 17.1 points and 10.1 rebounds per game, Gilmore has yet to be elected to the Hall of Fame; he is one of several former ABA MVPs who have not received the honor. In addition to being pro basketball's all-time most successful field goal percentage shooter, Gilmore ranks among the top 25 all-time point scorers, as well as in the top ten in rebounds, blocked shots, games and minutes played. No other players with comparable statistical accomplishments have been omitted from the Hall of Fame.

Guest Desensitized

I guess "alfdogg" is the answer to the immortal question.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!! Damn you Steviekick, damn you to hell. I thought everyone had forgotten him! ARGH!!!

Hahahahahahha...how could anyone forget about Artis and his uncanny shotblocking skills?

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!! Damn you Steviekick, damn you to hell. I thought everyone had forgotten him! ARGH!!!

Hahahahahahha...how could anyone forget about Artis and his uncanny shotblocking skills?

Well they should've forgotten dammit! He was a perfect fit for my team and I had my eyes on him since the start. He almost made it back to me too... :(

Alright, after much deliberation...

Phil Jackson, Coach

philjackson.jpg

Nine rings. He had Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq, but he also handled Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq. I'm running the triangle.

With my 4th pick, I select:

post-2806-1210634761_thumb.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki/F/Dallas Mavericks

Its time for my team to get some scorers, and I think Dirk could be even better if he ever played with truly dominant low-post players (which he never has). I would try to slot Dirk in as my starting small forward which could create matchup problems for smaller 3's.

With my 4th pick, I select:

post-2806-1210634761_thumb.jpg

Dirk Nowitzki/F/Dallas Mavericks

Its time for my team to get some scorers, and I think Dirk could be even better if he ever played with truly dominant low-post players (which he never has). I would try to slot Dirk in as my starting small forward which could create matchup problems for smaller 3's.

And allow 3's to blow right past him on the other side!