TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

All-Time Wrestling Roster Draft

I think the people who missed out on this should make up the judging panel (or at least be on it). I'm having a terrific time following this thread.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer, if the plan is comparing supercards at the end of it all.

There are certain performers in this chaotic circus that we call professional wrestling that truly sells everything about him, in every way, in all places and of all things so brilliantly. They are few and far between and within that special group, this next selection manages to shine because of his unique energy and intelligence to know the moment so well. I am convinced he can make anyone look good, he can make anyone into a beloved super baby face or trick a crowd into believing the man across the ring is the devil himself. He never truly worked a technically sound 5 star match but he never needed to. He could make a garbage match feel like the main event of Wrestle Mania. He has a strange and intoxicating charisma. He is one of the greatest promo artists of all time, a master of timing and a tremendous curator in the art of selling. He has played a part in some of the greatest storylines ever presented in the wrestling business and because of his extraordinary vision, he can do that for this promotion as well.

I spoke of versatility often with my other selections because it’s vital for a promotion to have with its best performers. Unlike the others, I have every intention to simply let him be the amazing heel that he is. I do believe this selection will reveal that make-up of this promotion more then anyone else could possibly manage.

With much excitement, I have selected the 53rd pick of the draft and you can quote this; I have selected the heart of this promotion…

05.jpg

RAVEN

With Goldberg as my top face, and Vader as one of my big heels, I'd like another bad ass heel. I'm picking a guy who's a monster, and sometimes really wasn't liked by his peers, but what can't be denied is how much he drew around the country and how scary he was in the ring. Foley wanted to be like this guy, and so did many others who loved brawling. He will present a true threat to Goldberg.

Brody.jpg

Bruiser Brody.

This next one was one of my tougher decisions. I went with a guy who can sell, take and give it. Along with Bruiser Brody and Vader, we'll see some hard hitting intense action that won't be for the feint of heart. He'll take some beatings from Vader and Brody. The difference is, this guy is a little more versatile in his wrestling ability and will draw the kids and "cool" teenagers. Along with Goldberg, and Vader's mask, we have our merchandise covered.

Rob-Van-Dam---87-Photofile-Photograph-C10141175.jpeg

Rob Van Dam.

Thanks. What's really interesting, for me at least, is that I really didn't plan on Raven until Roberts was taken and in all honesty, I might have gotten an upgraded version of him.

Piper vs. Raven would be highly entertaining.

That was supposed to happen in WCW in the Summer of '99 and that's what the vignettes of Hak and Raven hanging out at Raven's house were slowly building up to. Of course, it being WCW, nothing ever came of it.

Great picks as well there, Brooklyn Zoo. I'm kind of shock that Brody hadn't been picked so far. He kind of slipped my mind. RVD was one of the guys I was downright flabbergasted as to why he hadn't been picked yet with this draft's love of current and semi-current guys. I was mildly tempted to pick up Sabu and RVD as a tag team but I figured everyone would get pissed at me and they wouldn't really fit what I'm going for.

I've got to say there have only been two or three picks in this draft that I've outright disagreed with thus far. Great selections for the most part by all of you.

I had Brody valued high, and I hate to say... RVD hadn't even came to mind, but I am shocked he lasted this long. Both are great picks.

How does everyone else keep track of their possible selections? Does anyone else have a "draft board" with all the possible selections and a pre-set ranking of how you value each name?

I just have a long list of wrestlers and when someone else comes up, I'll add to the list. The value varies I guess, or I just look for a specific type of worker.

I have a sketching of what I kind of want, and then go get a guy to fill that need. I.E. Main Event level heel... oh, Roberts is available. DRAFT!

How does everyone else keep track of their possible selections? Does anyone else have a "draft board" with all the possible selections and a pre-set ranking of how you value each name?

For my next pick, I have about 3-4 potential people in mind for that particular spot/role I'm trying to fill. The list changes if one of those picks comes off the board.

For instance, with my Rock and Roll Express pick, I had the Road Warriors easily rated as my highest tag-team. When they went off and then when the Midnight Express (My 3rd rated tag-team) went off shortly after that, I figured it was time to pull the trigger on the Rock and Roll, which was my second rated team.

The value in this draft, as in any draft, is going to be those later rounds with the talent that falls to that position. There are going to be older wrestlers, who were big names in their day, fall to the later rounds.

I pretty much have the same strategy as Diamondust does. I have 3-4 people in mind with each pick and a particular niche I'm trying to fill. I modify that list when one of them comes off the draftboard.

Honestly, there's only been one pick that really upset me and that was Anderson and Blanchard. I really wanted the Horsemen and I was banking on them falling to me in the third round. But "Superstar" Graham was a great back up choice. I really thought he was a steal in the third round. For my money, he was a borderline first rounder so it all worked out for me fairly well.

Piper vs. Raven would be highly entertaining.

That was supposed to happen in WCW in the Summer of '99 and that's what the vignettes of Hak and Raven hanging out at Raven's house were slowly building up to. Of course, it being WCW, nothing ever came of it.

Great picks as well there, Brooklyn Zoo. I'm kind of shock that Brody hadn't been picked so far. He kind of slipped my mind. RVD was one of the guys I was downright flabbergasted as to why he hadn't been picked yet with this draft's love of current and semi-current guys. I was mildly tempted to pick up Sabu and RVD as a tag team but I figured everyone would get pissed at me and they wouldn't really fit what I'm going for.

I've got to say there have only been two or three picks in this draft that I've outright disagreed with thus far. Great selections for the most part by all of you.

Yeah, there's only been a couple of picks that have been real reaches compared to the talent that is still out there.

It is important to ensure that I have a tag team taken in the early rounds and while some bigger “names” are still out there, I went to one of the biggest teams available, physically. Fitting in with the design built already, this tag team is an absolute perfect fit to lead the promotion as the chief tag team heels here. I have some hopes as to who their main rivals will be but I had to make sure that I got these guys no matter what. I wanted a team that was going to be complete heels in every aspect from their attitude, demeanor, and physically dominating wrestling style.

With the 56th selection of the draft, I have chosen

NWA_Tags_DocGordyblts1.jpg

The Miracle Violence Connection

Dr. Death Steve Williams and Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy!

It is important to ensure that I have a tag team taken in the early rounds and while some bigger “names” are still out there, I went to one of the biggest teams available, physically. Fitting in with the design built already, this tag team is an absolute perfect fit to lead the promotion as the chief tag team heels here. I have some hopes as to who their main rivals will be but I had to make sure that I got these guys no matter what. I wanted a team that was going to be complete heels in every aspect from their attitude, demeanor, and physically dominating wrestling style.

With the 56th selection of the draft, I have chosen

NWA_Tags_DocGordyblts1.jpg

The Miracle Violence Connection

Dr. Death Steve Williams and Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy!

:angry:

Well, there's goes my shot at drafting

The Freebirds

Spoilers for name drop

Also, in regards to the strategy question on this, with the way the draft is working out you're almost expected to jump on the guys you want ASAP or you're not going to get them when your turn comes back around, no matter how far you think they may drop.

Well, there's goes my shot at drafting

The Freebirds

Spoilers for name drop

Also, in regards to the strategy question on this, with the way the draft is working out you're almost expected to jump on the guys you want ASAP or you're not going to get them when your turn comes back around, no matter how far you think they may drop.

You're not the only one who is thinking that. It can technically still happen but not at the level that people would want it to happen, if you catch my drift.

I'm positively giddy about the the pick I thought of. Waiting to see if Franchise or Steviekick take the selection from me is going to drive me nuts.

You're going to be waiting a while for Franchise. I believe he works nights so it might be some time before he's around again to make his pick.