TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

All-Time Wrestling Roster Draft

I got a hellacious shift at work, I sent Mellow my pick and a backup to keep this thing rollin'. B-)

I wasn't really sure who I could pair with Inoki, but decided what better guy to use than one of his dojo classmates. With this pick I'll be selecting Giant Baba. While I still need to figure out how I want to use these two guys, I'm happy that I have them both.

baba.gif

While I still need to figure out how I want to use these two guys, I'm happy that I have them both.

Book them against each other. That would draw if you tour Japan with them headlining.

For our next selection, we continue to flesh out the singles competition with a man who has had his moves virtually raped from him...ladies and gentleman, the iNOVAtor of Offense:

nova2.jpg

Nova.

For my next selection, I can't help but go with a personal favorite here. A welcome addition to my Women's Division.

My old banner says it all...

mollyhollybanner-1.jpg

I draft the former two-time WWE Womens Champion...

Molly Holly!

On behalf of The Great Mazto...

The 171st selection...

Tatsuhito Takaiwa

takaiwa2.jpg

Works awesome and could work awesome matches with Taka or even against some of the bigger guys on my roster. If he was a couple inches taller he'd be even more known like Kobashi, Misawa, and Kawada.

I realize i'm running short on credible faces in my promotion, so it's time to book another guy I could put my secondary title on. A few matches with Regal would be intriguing. Part of the allure would be keeping this guy off the microphone and just let him kick people's asses all over my federation. With the 172nd pick of the draft, I go with..

24259892.jpg

The Worlds Most Dangerous Man, Ken Shamrock!

(Side note - is it just me, or are there other people having connection issues with the site?)

Anyways, because I'm making this on a dial-up... I'll be brief and too the point.

My next selection will be my third tag-team, and my other face team. They are a groundbreaking team, and both members are in the WWE Hall of Fame. They can easily carry the tag-team titles in my promotion, and they have a ready made feud with the Samoans and hopefully my next selection after them.

Ladies and gentlemen...

AtlasRocky.jpg

Tony Atlas and "Soul Man" Rocky Johnson!

I didn't realize those guys were still on the board, had I did, I may have given them some consideration. I wasn't a big tag wrestling fan growing up and still in many ways am the same today, so my 2 remaining tag selections are still solid and will probably stay off the board for awhile. My fed is going to focus on singles action and storylines.

Also, I was under the assumption that tag teams could eventually be split up in this draft, which is not the case. Had I known that in the 2nd round, I would have just taken Dynamite as a single.

I better start grabbing workrate guys. One in particular comes to mind.

ohtani.jpg

My midcard is going to rock. Just wait to see who I put with OHTANI.

With the next pick in the draft, I am picking a somewhat overlooked wrestler. He is a former ECW World Champion, TNA X Division and Tag Team Champion. He is a top notch light-heavyweight wrestler, somebody who I think could make an interesting match up with Pillman and as evidenced by his work in TNA with Styles, and maybe others that I'm considering. I bring to you the Whole F'n Deal, Jerry Lynn

14.jpg

Alright, my next pick is a guy I've been meaning to pick for the past five rounds or so. I hate to brag but once again I feel like I'm getting away with murder with this pick. There is no good reason this guy should still be on the board in the Tenth Round IMHO. He's a guy I was almost certain would go in the first five or six rounds.

My next pick is another wrestler who was truly ahead of his time and was one of the biggest stars of wrestling's first boom era in the 1950s. He has been an influence on professional wrestling for generations and his impact on the industry is felt to this day. And according to legend, he's one of Vince McMahon's all time favorites.

He's a former NWA World Champion, a member of the WWE Hall of Fame Class of '94, and was the very first of many legends to hold what is now known as the WWE Championship.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to present my tenth round selection and the 176th selection overall in the All Time Wrestling Roster draft...

10.jpg "The Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers

Naturally, I'm going to have him feud with Ric Flair in a "Battle of The Nature Boys" with Flair as the cocky heel champion and Rogers as the cagey veteran coming back to show who the true Nature Boy is.

How dare you disrespect a former World Champion like Jerry Lynn, al?

But seriously though, I am so glad I decided to go the old school route with my federation. Besides possibly luchadors, pre-1980 guys have been the most neglected by the drafters. There are plenty of legends still on the board and a lot of them will remain on the board for some time.

I was more bothered that Nova went before Rogers. Rogers is a great pick but he wasn't going to fit my group and I didn't want to wedge a quality guy into something he doesn't fit into.

I would have taken Rogers about four rounds ago.. but I wanted to make sure I got the best possible tag-teams left before getting some more obvious picks and being left with the Ding Dongs.

I think everyone is trying to find workers that would make sense being on the same roster. At least that is what I've been doing.

Plus, I think a lot of people in this are mostly drafting from their frame of reference, which is pretty much the last 20-25 years.

I wanted to make sure I got the best possible tag-teams left before getting some more obvious picks and being left with the Ding Dongs.

No name dropping. Somebody might want the Ding Dongs...

... but, seriously, there are so many tag teams left it's not funny.

I'm more upset I took Shane McMahon before Jerry Lynn. What a horrible pick.

The thing is, no one saw Buddy Rogers. It's easy to be like "Well he's a legend." But we're trying to build a fed that we're familiar with, getting specific workers that fit.

I'm more upset I took Shane McMahon before Jerry Lynn. What a horrible pick.

The thing is, no one saw Buddy Rogers. It's easy to be like "Well he's a legend." But we're trying to build a fed that we're familiar with, getting specific workers that fit.

Video exists. Rogers before the 1980s was THE guy in wrestling. The way people remember Flair now, they remembered Rogers then. The embodiment of the cocky heel, handsome as all hell and built. When Andy Kaufmann wanted to become a wrestler, he watched and emulated Rogers as a child.

Exactly. If I wanted a list of the biggest names my list would look alot different. We're supposed to be building a roster here...not showing how many guys we've never seen wrestle and have no connection to that we know.

I could draft a bunch of as yet undrafted guys that would make the next person to post say "ooh...about time!" ...but I wouldn't know what to do with them and I probably haven't seen them work. So why would I?

Here's the way I look at it, a lot of these legends should have definitely been picked by now. There's no excuse that Buddy Rogers should have fell to the Tenth Round. But on the other hand but with the exception of myself and Diamonddust and a few others, he doesn't really fit anybody's roster. So in a way, everybody's right...or everybody's wrong depending on your perspective.

Either way, it works out for me. Keep doin' what you're doin' fellow draftees!