TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I'd actually say it's the opposite. McFedries seemed to be able to do next to nothing once Kampmann got him down and while Cote is known as a standup fighter he showed good positioning and ground and pound beating Jason Day in TKO this year as well as some nice ground strikes defeating Kendall.

Now if Cote lands on his back and Drew starts bombing down on him like he did with Jordan Radev, yeah, that's trouble for Pat.

I'd actually say it's the opposite. McFedries seemed to be able to do next to nothing once Kampmann got him down and while Cote is known as a standup fighter he showed good positioning and ground and pound beating Jason Day in TKO this year as well as some nice ground strikes defeating Kendall.

Now if Cote lands on his back and Drew starts bombing down on him like he did with Jordan Radev, yeah, that's trouble for Pat.

My apologies - the implication was that Cote should probably work on his ground game on the whole, not just off his back. I think we're consensus that he should in no way shape or form try to bang with McFedries. Granted Pat hits harder than Kampmann but not as hard as McFedries, and as you noted, Drew appears to have no ground game - surprising for a McMilitech guy.

Add Matt Wiman vs Justin Buccholz to the card....

So far we've got....

Kurt Pellegrino vs Alberto Crane

Patrick Cote vs Drew McFedries

Nate Diaz vs Alvin Robinson

Matt Wiman vs Justin Buccholz

Cole Miller vs Jeremy Stephens

Thiago Tavares vs Michihiro Omigawa

We've still yet to find out who Swick is fighting and there's also rumors of Corey Hill being on this card.

I believe Corey Hill confirmed it himself, saying he will make his MMA debut at UFN. Him, Chuck Liddell, BJ Penn, and Tito Ortiz are the only fighters to have their 1st MMA fights in the UFC.

Not true if you're considering all the old schoolers, which I assume you are since Tito got his start as an alternate at UFC 13. There's plenty, some of whom are still active today.

I'm talking about relevent fighters, not bums like Dan Severn.

Well then the floodgates open up as to who can be considered a "relevant" fighter. I would consider Mark Coleman very relevant, especially since he still has been actively competing in the past year (I think). Jesus, how could you forget about Randy? He actually debuted on the same show as Tito. These two are off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Well then the floodgates open up as to who can be considered a "relevant" fighter. I would consider Mark Coleman very relevant, especially since he still has been actively competing in the past year (I think). Jesus, how could you forget about Randy? He actually debuted on the same show as Tito. These two are off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Yeah I forgot Randy, how could I forget Randy man! That's an error on my part.

Mark Coleman is not relevent. He would get smoked by any Top 15 HW right now, and that's saying a lot considering how weak the HW divison as a whole is. He hasn't even fought in 2007.

I subscribed to Fight! Magazine awhile back... I got my first issue today, the one with Urijah Faber on the cover.

It's a pretty good magazine. A lot of pieces and they are all pretty well done. Definitely worth the $12.

It's $12 for the year. I personally bought a 2 year for $24.

Right now it's 6 per year, but I read on mmajunkie that it will be monthly soon.

That sounds like a pretty good deal actually.

Corey Hill will be fighting Joe Veres at the next UFN. That's the guy Gray Maynard KO'ed in less than ten seconds.

And Maynard is suppose to be fighting on the same card as well. Although his opponet isn't confirmed, the rumor is he'll fight Matt Grice.

Looks like Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazzlet is on for the March card w/ Silva vs Hendo as the main.

That's a total ground fight on paper. As much as I respect Hazelett's BJJ, I think Kos is too strong and has enough BJJ training to counter what Dustin's got. And if you want to read that as "Lay and Pray his way to victory", I totally understand. But after getting schooled by GSP, you'd think Kos would try to improve just a bit more, and I think the guy can surprise us with something new in his arsenal.

It's a pretty good magazine. A lot of pieces and they are all pretty well done. Definitely worth the $12.

Dude, I hope that was $12 for at least 4 issues, because no one should have to be pay $12 for a single issue of a magazine, ever.

I see this fight being very similar to Joslin/Koscheck aka Dustin will have a very active guard and might come close to pulling out a sub but Koscheck will use his strength and wrestling to hold him down for three rounds.

Not huge new or anything, but an interesting undercard fight for UFC 80. The King of the Cage Light Heavyweight champ is making his UFC debut. The guy is just fun to watch and a very cool person. Here's the story and an article about his one fight he had in Pride:

Light heavyweights Alessio Sakara (11-6) and James Lee (12-2) will throwdown at UFC 80: “Rapid Fire” at The Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle, England, on January 19, 2008.

MMAmania (www.mmamania.com) first learned about the match up earlier this morning from members of the Sakara management team. In addition, representatives indicated that this will be the last fight for Sakara at 205 pounds in the near future — he plans to dip down to middleweight (185 pounds) regardless of the result in the United Kingdom.

It’s been an up-and-down experience for the Sakara since his Octagon debut in October 2005. The Italian-born brawler has been unable to string together consecutive wins in six attempts (2-3 with one “No Contest). His last time out at UFC 75: “Champion vs. Champion” he got flattened by Houston Alexander in 61 seconds via technical knockout.

Without question this is a must-win for Sakara, which would also give him some momentum and confidence heading into his next fight at middleweight.

Lee is a UFC newcomer who has had tremendous success under the King of the Cage (KOTC) banner. In fact, in 14 professional contests not one of them has went the distance. He has a remarkable list of submissions to his credit and has never been stopped via strikes — his two losses are via submission.

The Pride fight:

James Lee’s first invitation to PRIDE came at a fairly inconvenient time. Late one Wednesday night, Lee found himself playing video games with his son when his phone rang. Setting aside his cupcake, Lee discovered that PRIDE was finally putting him on a fight card, something which he had been working towards for years.

It was a good thing that PRIDE called before he finished his dessert, since he was informed that they wanted him to fight in only three days.

Despite the short notice, Lee found that he couldn’t turn PRIDE down. He began negotiating, and finalized a deal by 1 A.M., giving him time to catch a 4 A.M. flight to Las Vegas.

Upon arrival, Lee found that his already strenuous three days of preparations had been cut down to two, as his medicals ate up his entire first day in Vegas. Thursday night, less than 48 hours until the fight, was his first chance to begin not only his training, but also his attempts to get down to the 205-pound weight limit.

“I didn’t get to check into the hotel probably until 8 or 9 o’clock at night. Went for a run, got up, ran again, and then hopped in the sauna at 8 in the morning, and cut 14 and a half pounds in like 5 hours,” said Lee.

FACING “THE DIESEL”

On top of everything else, Lee’s opponent for the fight was no slouch. Travis “The Diesel” Wiuff had accumulated over 40 MMA wins over the past six years.

Lee had never seen Wiuff fight, and admitted to not having a well-thought out game plan going into the fight. However, in his first attempt in the PRIDE ring, Lee tried to simply block out the stressful nature of the fight and work to give the best effort he could against Wiuff.

“I can fight a round out of shape. And I figured I’d gas midway through the second. That’ll be my breaking point. Depending on the pace of the fight,” said Lee. “I’ll go balls out, and see what happens, give it my all, one hundred percent.”

And he did. Lee connected on his first punch and did not hesitate to take advantage of the stunned Wiuff.

“I power punched him real fast. And I’m thinking the whole time, like s—t I can’t let this guy go. I better keep the pressure on him and finish this guy off before he gets some confidence.”

Lee followed with relentless rights and attempted a kimura before submitting Wiuff with a guillotine choke. All told, it took him only 39 seconds to upset the IFL and UFC veteran.

Until his inevitable return to PRIDE, Lee will continue training with MASH (Martial Arts Submission Hybrid”)—which he co-founded in 1989–as he prepares to defend his King of the Cage 205-pound title this June in his home state of Michigan

I've seen him defend his title twice at KOTC shows, in June and Last week and this goy is pretty impressive if under the radar.