TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I can't see that being the actual main events... I'm pretty sure they are going to throw Okami/Silva in there.

Brock is responsible for like the 4th highest buyrate in MMA history.... Granted he won't be quite the freakshow draw this time around.

Well it was already proven Lesnar wont be the main event... It's going to be Fitch/GSP...

Adrenaline MMA has joined the HDNet stable of promotions for their first three shows.

Their first show, headlined by the freakin' Snowman, I'll probably skip but their second show is supposed to have Timmay and Ben Rothwell on it in separate bouts... probably worth watching that one.

I figure this warrants a thread....

From the Junkie...

Former World Wrestling Entertainment performer and decorated amateur wrestler Bobby Lashley is the latest signing for the Kentucky-based American Fight League.

A source close to the 31-year-old told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Lashley will be introduced as an AFL signee -- perhaps the organization's biggest to date -- during tonight's "Bulletproof" show at Phillips Arena in Atlanta.

Rumors of Lashley's possible transition into MMA heated up over the past month, but few expected such a high-profile figure to sign with an organization so new to the national scene.

AFL officials declined to comment today, but one executive said some "major signings" will be announced at tonight's show, which features a main event between AFL lightweight champ and former UFC fighter Diego Saraiva.

Terms of Lashley's contract aren't known, but it's expected to be a non-exclusive deal.

Lashley, a two-time NAIA national wrestling champion while at Missouri Valley College, also won two armed-forces titles while serving in the U.S. Army. He signed with the WWE in 2003 and debuted with the organization in 2005. His character won titles in both the WWE and Extreme Championship Wrestling organizations.

Lashley received some mainstream popularity when he was chosen to represent Donald Trump in a "Hair vs. Hair match" with WWE Chairman Vince McMahon in 2007. Lashley won the staged match, so McMahon was forced to shave his head. However, Lashley was released from his WWE contract earlier this year.

Lashley, of course, won't be the first WWE wrestler turned MMA fighter. Former WWE superstar Brock Lesnar signed with the UFC in 2007 and debuted with the organization in February. Lashley is unlikely to match Lesnar's popularity in MMA, but like his fellow WWE alumnus, he's likely to convert some pro-wrestling fans into MMA viewers.

The AFL, a Kentucky-based organization born from the Caged Inferno promotion, has held three events to date. Its first arena show was held in March at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky. Tonight's "Bulletproof" show (see our event preview) is the first-ever MMA event to take place in Phillips Arena, which is September's rumored UFC 88 host venue.

The AFL's other recent signings include Saraiva, "The Ultimate Fighter 2" cast member Dan Christison, highly ranked featherweight Raphael Assuncao, UFC veteran Junior Assuncao, and highly touted prospect Douglas Lima.

If there was something more to it than "Bobby Lashley signs with retard MMA promotion", then it could warrant a thread. Like, if there was a date, an opponent, etc. Right now it's all "Hey, isn't Lashley a big roided up black guy? How is THAT gonna work?".

If there was something more to it than "Bobby Lashley signs with retard MMA promotion", then it could warrant a thread. Like, if there was a date, an opponent, etc. Right now it's all "Hey, isn't Lashley a big roided up black guy? How is THAT gonna work?".

This is a wrestling board... Lashley is more known then that. Lashley offically announcing his MMA debut is pretty big news considering this is a wrestling board. This is bullshit.

I can see why this may warrant a thread due to it being a wrestling board, but in and of itself its not really threadworthy.

I think it's in the right place. The point about the Kimbo post was more that the guy had 2 posts in just over a year and less that the post wasn't threadworthy.

I really could care less about Lashley or Kimbo, btw.

(Edit: I just realized how bad that sounded. Um, how about that Syesha chick on American Idol?)

I've been watching a bunch on Versus this afternoon, after seeing 4 Urijah Faber matches, I gotta say I like this kid...what do people here think of him?

Awesome fighter. Easily the best 145'er out there and a legit Top Ten in terms of Pound for Pound. It's not like he's completely invinceble but at this point I don't see any one area of his game any fighter in that weight class could expose. Especially after the Pulver fight I think people have gained a newfound respect for his stand-up game.

I think it's almost inevitable now that Dana brings in Kid and/or Inoeue (sp?) to fight Urijah after the way the Jens fight went.

Kid isn't going anywhere. Dana was asked about him before the weigh-ins at 83 and said that the price tag that he gets overseas is huge and they likely wouldn't pay it.

I get that, but that's the clear #1 vs. #2 fight and after Faber vs. Pulver doubled the best ever rating the WEC ever pulled, they might be looking into it more.

Just so no one gets alarmed - I'm moving this WEC discussion to CTDWAT.

Hey guys, what do you think would have happened if Kevin Randleman continues with upsets and finishes Fedor after the awesome... almost like a German Suplex at PRIDE's Critical Countdown '04? Runs right through Ogawa, then gets choked out by Nogueira? Or could he have possibly won it all?

It's just one of those defining moments in the Legend of Emelianenko, but it's one of my favorite "What if?" situations of the sport.

I get that, but that's the clear #1 vs. #2 fight and after Faber vs. Pulver doubled the best ever rating the WEC ever pulled, they might be looking into it more.

Just so no one gets alarmed - I'm moving this WEC discussion to CTDWAT.

I can't see them pulling Faber/Pulver ratings if they brought Kid in simply because past buyrates/ratings show that if the North American audience doesn't know the fighter there's less of a chance they'd tune in and Kid has never had any kind of exposure outside of Japan and Europe.

Yeah, you got to build the guy up through packages and other fights... while there is a chance he could shit the bed and you're left with this huge salary that never turned out the way you wanted it to.

WILD BOYS! WILD BOYS! WILD BOYS!

I am trying to remember the Pride in which during the fighter parade, the song played was the mixture of the theme of every fighter on that card. I think it may have been a Shockwave. Anybody knows?

Hey guys, what do you think would have happened if Kevin Randleman continues with upsets and finishes Fedor after the awesome... almost like a German Suplex at PRIDE's Critical Countdown '04? Runs right through Ogawa, then gets choked out by Nogueira? Or could he have possibly won it all?

It's just one of those defining moments in the Legend of Emelianenko, but it's one of my favorite "What if?" situations of the sport.

Randleman loses the next good fighter he faces, like usual.