TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

I can't see them being coaches.

Dana White wants to set up coaches that will fight at the end of the season. The only time that didn't work was the 2nd season, but that was because Franklin beat Tanner. Had Tanner won him and Hughes would've fought.

Randy = Coach of Vets

GSP = Coach of up-and-coming fighters/dudes getting a second chance.

Seems pretty simple to me.

People are going to have a hard time trying to understand GSP, because of his thick french accent.

Guest Brian

Well, it seems Stevenson told MMAWeekly he's fighting Yves Edwards at UFC 61.

Sounds like a good match up. Joe's striking is pretty bad but he's got pretty good takedowns and a good ground game. I think if he can close the distance and take Yves down, it should be a win for Joe Stevenson.

Yves should merk his ass.

GSP would be a good coach. He's good at explaining stuff, is super patient, and is humble enough to deal with some ego-driven former UFC fighters who would assume that they don't need to be on the show to be back in the game. GSP would be best equipped to deal with the Johnny Drama type- "I am the fuckin' game pal!"

What do you guys think should be learned by people wanting to fight MMA. It's complicated, they should do it all, but in terms of priorities? Personally, I feel it's ground defenses and wrestling first, than striking, than some more complex ground game stuff. As most top fighters these days have shown, strikers are making their mark.

I dunno. St. Pierre has taken up almost every aspect of fighting pretty well, but in terms of overall experience, he's still on the low side. And, as someone at BK mentioned, you can't teach athleticism, which GSP has in excess.

Oh, and on the accent: it may not be a big problem in training where you have all the time in the world to fully explain what you're saying, but during a fight, when a fighter needs good advice from his corner at a second's notice, trying to decipher an accent can be crippling.

Yeah, Lei Tong brings up a good point. I think alot of the UFCer's will be bitter and will not want to listen to guy who's much younger then him.

Joe Stevenson Vs. Yves Edwards should be an awesome fight. But damn I feel sorry for Joe, because he could lose this one. 2 loses since winning the contract won't look good at all.

Anyone hear any news about Rashad Evans? I really hope he's learing BJJ well.

Guest Coffey

Ultimate Fighting was just a topic of conversation on Between the Lines on ESPN. They had one, hypocritical fat fuck that went as far as to say that MMA "isn't a sport" and that it's "barbaric" yet he's a "big boxing fan."

It certainly didn't paint a pretty picture.

Is MMA heading the same direction as pro-wrestling as it pertains to the mainstream media?

I think MMA is in a current standing that pro wrestling has never had, simply due to it being a legit sport. Wrestling (and more specifically the WWE) are pretty much viewed as a joke, albeit a very profitable one in the media.

Here's an interesting question to all that was posed in this months issue of Grappling: Will the cage hold back the progress of MMA because of the stigma attatched to it? Would UFC converting to a ring give them more credibility because it seems more like boxing?

Boxing does more damage to you then MMA, in my opinion.

I've been boxing for 4 years now, and the amount of headshots boxers take is much worse then any injury you get in MMA.

Yeah, perception is reality, for the most part, in regards to MMA and the public at large. MMA seems more dangerous than boxing because of things like striking on the ground, knees, stomps, elbows, etc. despite the reality being MMA has less deaths than most mainstream sports, as well as serious injuries. The cage looks more dangerous than a ring. It's gritty, and there is never a positive connotation with cages. But, the cage -for those who watch the UFC- is probably more of a selling point. The UFC has used a cage for so long, I can't see them moving away from it.

That absolutely does not answer the question I posed.

I wasn't trying to answer your question, dickhead. If I was answering it I would've had your post in a quote. I was bringing up a point.

It's so open-ended, and it's also easy to say "Muay Thai, Freestyle Wrestling, BJJ, Boxing, etc". I think, in regards to priorities, other than conditioning, footwork is one of the most important things for a fighter to develop, since so many fighters today have bad footwork. In regards to "weapons" a leg kick and a jab, a double leg takedown, and general ground control, would be the first things I would work on, if I were a fighter. I think you could get by on those things alone to get through the lower tier, and maybe even the middle tier of fighters, if you developed them well enough.

What's everyones opinion on Mork?

Very explosive & powerful striker, he could use a bit more polish on his technique, though his K-1 MAX success would suggest that it might not need much. His knees are obviously his best weapons (Blue would chime in that "Wanderlei wishes he could knee like Mork), though he has good power in his hands, too.

As for weaknesses... well, his ground game is obviously not up to snuff. He's still pretty much dead meat on his back, and while he powerful striking and sheer athleticism can get him out of binds against diminutive featherweights while on top, the ground as a whole is still a bad place for him. Unfortunately, I believe his success in MAX will lead him to possibly abandon ground training altogether for a time.

Some SHOOTO youngin' action, courtesy of MSIA:

Yuki Konishi (Shooting Gym Kobe) vs. Yusuke Mikami (Mimura Dojo) - November 13th, 2005

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ejGTvWkM7o8

Jun Kitagawa (Shooting Gym Kobe) vs. Anthony Netzler (Team BOON!) - July 29th, 1998

http://youtube.com/watch?v=grgOsmQNVxc

Masashi Yozen (Shooting Gym Osaka) vs. Kintaro (R-BLOOD) - May 8th, 2005

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qEJ3RnYypc

Hiroyuki Tanaka (Chokushinkai) vs. Hiroshi Uemura (ALIVE) - September 21st, 2003

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNINl97pE-g

Hiroyuki Tanaka (Chokushinkai) vs. Takao Tamura (Paraestra Hiroshima) - November 13th, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6k4fHLDio

The 10 count is used in all SHOOTO matches (and the 10-8 scoring that goes with them). Definitely not a good thing, but luckily doesn't influences too many matches.

As for the different classes:

Class C: Amateurs; 2 round bouts; head gear & shin guards;

Class B: Rookies & relatively unexperienced fighters; 2 rounds;

Class A: Veterans, contenders and champions; 3 rounds

SMOOOTH guard work in the Tanaka/Tamura fight. Side mount, back, switch to opposite side mount, full mount back to side mount. I need to invest in some SHOOTO DVD's. That was a fucking nifty lil bout.

To any admins:

If I start ripping some SHOOTO fights from my collection, any chance I could get a sticky thread for them?

SMOOOTH guard work in the Tanaka/Tamura fight. Side mount, back, switch to opposite side mount, full mount back to side mount. I need to invest in some SHOOTO DVD's. That was a fucking nifty lil bout.

I second the niftyness of that fight. SWEEEEEEEEEET finish.