TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

MMAWeekly referred to Dong Sik Yoon as Japanese.

James Hirth thinks Wiuff is still an awesome Lightheavyweight, despite getting subbed by Easy Tappings, who by the way is gonna' beat Jamal "Badass Sub Grappler Who Already Bitched Horwich & Wiuff" Patterson.

I REALLY fucking hate MMA journalism.

My first reaction, HOLY FUCKING SHIT THat's out of the blue. I always wondered what would happen if a fighter just all of a sudden died like that, I mean we're all surprised by injuries and stuff like that, but something like a sudden death. This is kinda close to that.

My second reaction:

I REALLY fucking hate MMA journalism.

Ryan Bennett died in a car accident yesterday at the age of 34.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6053102341.html

A good article on Brandon Vera. Dana White says that an HBO deal is coming soon, which is interesting. Vera made about $70,000 in the last fight, half from Sponsorship, half from 16/16.

And, of course...

"If things keep going like this, it's going to be crazy in a few years," ultimate fighter Forrest Griffin said. "We're all going to be millionaires."

I wanted to mention the Kuniyoshi Hironaka defeated JJ Machado in a submission wrestling match yesterday on points. Why do I mention this?

1) To point out how good some of the Japanese BJJ'ers are getting.

2) To show how much Shinya Aoki rules by proxy.

Horinaka won on 3 takedowns worth 1 point each, from what I've heard he didn't engage Jean Jacques on the ground for long at any point so JJ didn't even have the chance to rack up points for sub attempts (which were worth 3 points).

Meh. Aoki would've simply broken Hironaka's arm again had he tried that with him.

Basically, I think that DSE told Silva to "take it easy" on Yoshida. I mean Yoshida got messed up but not nearly as messed up as he could have been

Silva apparently was "pacing himself" in that fight actually. He could have went out to finish and went hard but he chose to pace himself so he could 1) test his cardio that he'd been training up for the tournament 2) be able to rest after a half-rate performance before giving a 100% performance against Rampage. You can feel free to dismiss this but it's what Silva told my buddy who attended his seminar last year so even though it may be a bit of a BS for a poor performance but there's probably some truth to it.

It still doesn't explain his lack of effort in the rematch. Also, considering a good number of Brazilians would be willing to work fights between teammates, it's not much of a stretch to think Silva would intentionally take it easy on Yoshida for some reason.

JJ is getting old now. Apparently he still tapped BJ Penn 5 times in a row recently when he visited but he basically didn't get to play his game against Hironaka from what I have heard so it's not surprising he lost. Lister OWNED him at ADCC so I think he's lost his competitive edge personally.

I honestly think Yoshida is just really good at stifling Silva's style. Like I said, he may have been making excuses last year to my bud (incidentally Silva only turned up for the last 10 minutes for questions, pictures and autographs after Ninja, Rafael Cordeiro and Rudimar Fedrigo took the actual seminar... kinda bullshit if you ask me, I'm kind of glad I didn't cough up the money for it) but Silva claimed to have been pacing himself.

Incidentally, Ryan Bennett was a good man and good reporter and all of us at Sherdog will miss him as part of the MMA community and have sent our condolences to his family. We hope they can recover from this terrible loss.

I wanted to mention the Kuniyoshi Hironaka defeated JJ Machado in a submission wrestling match yesterday on points. Why do I mention this?

1) To point out how good some of the Japanese BJJ'ers are getting.

2) To show how much Shinya Aoki rules by proxy.

Horinaka won on 3 takedowns worth 1 point each, from what I've heard he didn't engage Jean Jacques on the ground for long at any point so JJ didn't even have the chance to rack up points for sub attempts (which were worth 3 points).

Meh. Aoki would've simply broken Hironaka's arm again had he tried that with him.

JJ is getting old now. Apparently he still tapped BJ Penn 5 times in a row recently when he visited but he basically didn't get to play his game against Hironaka from what I have heard so it's not surprising he lost. Lister OWNED him at ADCC so I think he's lost his competitive edge personally.

It could also be because Lister's an excellent grappler from 2 weight classes higher who isn't content to lay on guys as much as Arona. Besides, even closer to his prime JJ lost to Serra, so it's not as though he's ever been unbeatable, and it should still serve as notice considering Hironaka is, at best, a very distant second in his weight class on the Japanese grappling scene.

Did anyone ever play the UFC video game? Just wondering if it was any good? I bought an older UFC DVD the other day and found an advertisement for it.

The first TAP OUT got good ratings from reviewers, but all the UFC games that I have played pretty much sucked. MMA is so hard to get right and developers don't get the nuances of anything (and even if they did, it would be near impossible to put it in game form), and when punches make the sound of you hitting a baking tray, there is a certain amount of realism lacking. The best MMA game IMO is the K-1 Grand Prix game for PS2, and that's a kickboxing game. The PRIDE game was fun, too, but the replay value sorta goes down after a while.

It seemed like it'd be hard to get the mechanics down on a sport like this.

I wonder is it possible to get every UFC on tape or DVD? I know like UFC 21-28 are hard to find or whatever. But I wonder if they'll ever be re-issued?

I mean I can't even find Vendetta on DVD or anything around that era at my local Best Buy. The earliest I found was UFC 43.

I wish i knew of a good UFC torrent site.

You know a friend pointed out.....what happens to BJ Penn now? He was the champion. He was stripped and then he lost to GSP. So what does he do now? Claw his way back up? Is he up for it?

"Check out the July issue of Playboy magazine (on news stands June 9th) featuring the “20Q” interview with UFC President Dana White. White keeps the conversation raw as he discusses why tensions are high on The Ultimate Fighter, what distinguishes a real warrior and why the UFC crushes the WWE."

-UFC.com

Go Dana.

So nobody in Chute Boxe Academy speaks english? I would'nt mind seeing a IFL style team vs team PPV show of Chute Boxe Academy vs Miletich Fighting System Elite or whoever is the top team currently in UFC. It would only take a few episodes of UFC Unleashed and UFN shows with nonstop shrills from Goldberg, Rogan, Bravo, Quadros to get the fighters over.