TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

2008 Summer Olympics

My God, Usain Bolt broke the 100m world record after SLOWING UP AT THE FINISH. I've never seen anything like that. He probably could have gone under 9.5 if he wanted to.

Ben Johnson did the same thing, but we all know how that turned out.

Usain Bolt sure is fast. It's not that long ago a time like 9.69 seconds in the 100m was unthinkable, this guy makes it look easy. God only knows what sort of time he'd do if he didn't spend the final 20m posturing to the crowd.

What's even crazier is that the 200 is his best event and he just started running the 100 recently. If he ever learns how to get out of the blocks well, he'd run in the 9.4 range.

Yeah and pbone's like, 17. What's wrong with that?

Sorry, I don't keep up... I forget how many kids post here sometimes; this is the only message board I hang around at where the average age is so young.

In other news, the "Redeem Team" put it down on Spain...

Usain Bolt sure is fast. It's not that long ago a time like 9.69 seconds in the 100m was unthinkable, this guy makes it look easy. God only knows what sort of time he'd do if he didn't spend the final 20m posturing to the crowd.

What's even crazier is that the 200 is his best event and he just started running the 100 recently. If he ever learns how to get out of the blocks well, he'd run in the 9.4 range.

I can't wait to see him run the 200. If anyone could touch Michael Johnson's record, he's the guy.

Guest Smues

Question for you east coasters: did you get the Phelp's race live on NBC, or were you just watching it on the web feed?

Live on NBC. They showed Women's marathon, then Dara Torres x2, the 1500 men's freestyle and then Phelps with the 100 meter track semis and final interspersed in between. I think it was the weakest night of coverage since they spent about 2 1/2 hours showing the marathon and it wasn't close from about the midway point to the finish. Surely they had some other event they could have squeezed in at some point between 7:30 and 10:03.

Guest Smues

I thought as much. FUCKING BULLSHIT that we get it tape delayed then. I have no problem with some events being delayed because of the event being on the other side of the globe, but if the east coast can get it live, why the FUCK can't the west? "Oh not they'd see Phelps swim at 7pm instead of 11, that would just KILL our ratings!"

I think his point was that the race would have been live at 8 PM on the West coast and instead they probably won't get to see it until 11 PM their time, which is 3 hours after the fact despite it falling in the Olympic coverage window. The East coast was pretty lucky that Beijing catered to us quite a bit with all of the swimming and gymnastics finals happening in the prime time to midnight slot basically. The only race we didn't get live in prime time so far was the men's 100 meter on the track.

FUCK THE TAPE DELAY.

If it was live here in Hawai'i, I wouldn't have stumbled past my mom flipping stations in the kitchen, accidentally finding ESPN News with the Phelps press conference. I can't believe that she was as pissed about that as I was. I avoided spoilers all day at work, locked myself in an office for the last two hours so that no one could spoil it, and then tape delay/live feed fucks me again.

The Ravens showed Phelps swim on their big "not really hd" screens but I couldnt stay cause I was affraid I would miss the last light rail train, but I did hear a big ovation and figured he won. they gave out Ravens for Phelps signs and got the crowd chanting for him and all, it probably would have been cool if I could have stayed.

The biggest historical significant event of the Olympics and they don't even show it live in all of the US. We saw it live and we didn't even have a team in the finals. I thought NBC said they were going to show these events live this year?

Fun fact: if Phelps were his own country, he'd be 4th in the gold medal count:

China 28

USA 9

Germany 9

Michael Phelps 8

Australia 8

How about that AT&T cellphone ad where that obsessed Phelps fangirl jumps up and down screaming when he wins a race? Three weeks ago, it seemed silly. Tonight, that was probably happening in every other American household with a TV.

Im incredibly proud of my country today, to get to third in the medals table is incredibly amazing, with at least another gold and silver guaranteed today, this is fucking incredible, its going to be a good sunday!

GB now 3rd in medals table :D

And BTW WHY WHY WHY WHY does American companies ESPN, NBC continue to spout complete shite on the medals table.

How the hell can you respect a medals table which values Bronze exactly the same as Gold. Probably the worlds stupidest thing,

The IOC has ranked the nations based on total Golds for 112 years. This year is no different. Of course we all know the answer to the question though. It is so they can say that the US was number one. If the situation was reversed, they would be using the proper medal tables.

It is a bit petty to rank by medals just so USA can be first, as we speak GB is going to pick up another silver, so thats 2 golds, 3 silvers already this morning

I thought as much. FUCKING BULLSHIT that we get it tape delayed then. I have no problem with some events being delayed because of the event being on the other side of the globe, but if the east coast can get it live, why the FUCK can't the west? "Oh not they'd see Phelps swim at 7pm instead of 11, that would just KILL our ratings!"

Yeah, the west coast just got bent over hardcore by NBC.

The west coast gets screwed at every Olympics as they did tape delay coverage for us for the Atlanta and Salt Lake Olympics as well. I will not be shocked if they pull the same crap with Vancouver.