TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Just refusing to job

Steiners versus Outsiders at 1997 Road Wild. All the booking made it seem like the Steiners would finally go over, but Nash complained the frequent title changes were hurting the drawing power of the belt. Keep in mind Hogan won the title back from Luger at this same PPV where Luger won the title from Hogan six days before.

Nevermind the Hogan stuff, how that explanation is REALLY bad bullshit: the Outsiders had held the tag belts for ten months straight at that point. This was already the all-time record holder for longest WCW tag title reign ever, and they'd go on to hold the belts for two more months after that. How exactly do the title changes hurt you when there are no title changes? And people wonder why I still hate Nash.

"We got one report that Kronic refused to job to Goldberg on Nitro. When you look at how the show was set up, with Kronic attacking Goldberg after his first match, it sure seems like they were being set up to do a job for him later. Then, for no apparent reason, Goldberg beat up the Harris Twins. If they did refuse to job, for Goldberg of all people, I see absolutely zero reason why they shouldn’t be fired immediately."

From Brian Alvarez, F4W, Oct 9 2000

Steve Austin was supposed to job to Scott Hall at WrestleMania X-8 to lead to the brand extension and that didn't happen.

Bret Hart refused to job to Austin at a house show in Toronto before Survivor Series 1997, so Jim Neidhart had to take the fall.

Road Warrior Animal related a story on their dvd about refusing to job to the Freebirds in the AWA. I forget the venue.

If I remember, that was at the first Superclash in September '85 in Comiskey Park. The Freebirds had scored the pinfall and the win in that match, albeit through the usual heel tactics. However, Verne Gagne went to the instant replay card and reversed the decision in favor of Animal and Hawk. For some time, I remember reading Gagne was wanting to get the belts off Animal and Hawk, and did shortly after with Jimmy Garvin and Steve Regal winning them.

Of course, it's been brought up here in another thread, but Stan Hansen refusing to job to Nick Bockwinkel in 1986. Hansen had brought major credibility to the AWA World title but Verne wanted him to put Bockwinkel over. He refused, plus Hansen wanted to also fulfill his obligation to All Japan. So Verne stripped Hansen of the championship, and the story of Hansen running over the AWA World title belt prior to returning it to Bockwinkel came about.

Ric Flair refusing to job to Lex Luger on many occasions. Most notably the GAB and Starrcade '88, and the GAB '91. At the Bash in '91 they were booking Luger to finally go over Flair. But Flair would have none of it, plus the contract dispute that took place leading to Flair bolting and taking the title belt with him when Jim Herd wouldn't pay back the $25K deposit the champ put down on the belt.

I was always a big fan of Sid Vicious refusing to do the stretcher job for El Gigante on his way out of WCW in 1991, so they end up having an abysmal match that ends with One Man Gang doing the run in.

I was always a big fan of Sid Vicious refusing to do the stretcher job for El Gigante on his way out of WCW in 1991, so they end up having an abysmal match that ends with One Man Gang doing the run in.

According to the old Observers being published on the site now, the WWF basically told Vicious to show up and do the job at Superbrawl, otherwise WCW wasn't going to release him from his contract until September.

Re: Jean Pierre LaFitte

Most people wouldn't be happy about having to loss clean in their hometown, even if it is to the company's champion. However, most people would know enough to just keep quiet about it and do their job, as it were. The real question is why someone in power didn't just tell LaFitte to shut the hell up and do what he was told to do.

The only reason I can think of is fear that Lafitte would walk out of the show and the match when he's the headliner in his hometown. Fans bought tickets to see Lafitte wrestle the champion and hopefully be the hometown hero in beating the champion, it comes to a point on what would you rather have? A compramise to make the wrestler whose headlining in his hometown and pretty much helped sell you tickets for the event happy and deal with him at a later time...or tell him to shut the fuck up and do his job and have him walk out of the event and have a lot of upset fans who are going to be wanting refunds for not seeing their hometown hero wrestle?

Here's a better question: why schedule the hometown hero to lose in the first place? Why did he have to wrestle the babyface champion? He could've easily been stuck in the semi-main, going over some midcarder, and everyone would've been happy.

Yeah...I question that as well. The match doesn't make much sense in hindsight.

Didn't the New Age Outlaws refuse to job to The Dudleyz when they first came over to WWE?

A couple nights ago, I was watching an Outsiders shoot on YouTube, and Kevin Nash said that he refused to put over the Ultimate Warrior on his way out in '96, because he "hadn't been in the trenches with us". He said he always got along with him fine, though.

Since Nash has shown up a few times, did he ever officially refuse to job to Chris Sabin?

Once he came up with a reason not to show up at the PPV, TNA didn't bother asking him again, because they knew what the score was. The great thing about Nash is that he rarely flat out refuses to job; he just comes up with a reason the match can't take place, and so never actually has to come right out and refuse to job.

But he did say in his 06 shoot, "I had an injury, and I didn't want to do the job."

One more I can recall.

The Rock putting over Booker T. on Raw. Because Rock knew Triple H would make Booker look bad like he did to The Hurricane. Rock was onto Hunter and put an end to that idea.

RE: Summerslam 99. The original theory is correct. Austin refused to job to HHH and thus Foley had to be added as he was the only person in the company that Austin was willing to lose clean to.

RE: Summerslam 99. The original theory is correct. Austin refused to job to HHH and thus Foley had to be added as he was the only person in the company that Austin was willing to lose clean to.

That one has long been shown to be untrue,

No, that's been debunked several times over.

Herb Kunze

"Mankind hit the DDT for the pin at 16:22. HHH chaired Austin's leg to give Austin a vacation. Chyna held off the referee. Jesse & Mankind were long gone. It's no secret that they wanted Jesse to come out of this match as a babyface. That would happen if he raised a babyface's hand or if he decked a heel. That meant that if HHH won, he'd have to take a bump right afterward for Jesse, which would spoil his moment, I guess. It has also been widely reported that Austin refused to lie down for HHH and that the bookers didn't want Austin to lose the title without losing. In any case, any idiot could figure that HHH would win the title the next night on RAW because Mankind can't work any sort of schedule yet"

http://rspw.org/tidbits/tidbits.990826

This is funny from the same report

"A fan behind the commnetary table had a sign that was outdated; he wanted Ahmed Johnson to leave wrestling, I think, 'cause the sign said "RESIGN AHMED JOHNSON." I know, I know. Kane sat there with headphones on, even though he didn't say anything. You know a match is sad when the best worker in the ring is Ron Simmons."

Herb Kunze

"Mankind hit the DDT for the pin at 16:22. HHH chaired Austin's leg to give Austin a vacation. Chyna held off the referee. Jesse & Mankind were long gone. It's no secret that they wanted Jesse to come out of this match as a babyface. That would happen if he raised a babyface's hand or if he decked a heel. That meant that if HHH won, he'd have to take a bump right afterward for Jesse, which would spoil his moment, I guess. It has also been widely reported that Austin refused to lie down for HHH and that the bookers didn't want Austin to lose the title without losing. In any case, any idiot could figure that HHH would win the title the next night on RAW because Mankind can't work any sort of schedule yet"

http://rspw.org/tidbits/tidbits.990826

Hasn't a lot of what Herb has 'reported' over the years been proven to be nowhere close to accurate?

I've never heard anyone reputable say that Austin refused to job to HHH. The reasons for putting Mankind in the match were both wanting Jesse to raise the hand of a babyface (not just come out as a babyface himself) and because Austin being banged up meant they wouldn't be able to have the expected great match and Mankind was put in to help carry the load.

I remember hearing somewhere that Samu refused to job the tag belts to IRS & Bam Bam at SummerSlam 94, which is why they did the house show title change with Shawn & Diesel the night before.

I remember hearing somewhere that Samu refused to job the tag belts to IRS & Bam Bam at SummerSlam 94, which is why they did the house show title change with Shawn & Diesel the night before.

Yea, I've heard that this happened because Samu didn't want to drop the belts to IRS & Bam Bam who he didn't consider to be a "real tag team" despite the fact that IRS & Bigelow had teamed up for over a month prior to SummerSlam in anticipation for that match. Bam Bam just got screwed time and again when he came back to the WWF, especially in '94 and '95, where he was supposedly promised a title run for jobbing to LT and jobbed with Tatanka to the 1-2-3 Kid/Bob Holly (which really made no sense) @ the '95 Rumble in the finals of the tag tournament.

This is funny from the same report

"A fan behind the commnetary table had a sign that was outdated; he wanted Ahmed Johnson to leave wrestling, I think, 'cause the sign said "RESIGN AHMED JOHNSON." I know, I know. Kane sat there with headphones on, even though he didn't say anything. You know a match is sad when the best worker in the ring is Ron Simmons."

"Re-sign"

Yeah, cause Diesel and Shawn were such a "real tag team" in 1994. I don't recall them ever working more than a few tag matches and had never been in contention.

In Foley's book he mentioned the SS 99 main event and said they added him because Austin was banged up and felt he could help carry the load. Also Jesse didn't want to raise the hand of the heel HHH, or maybe WWE didn't want that (or maybe both).

Guest Smues

Who cares what the reasons for it were, Foley winning at SS99 was a great moment that caught me completely off guard.

Who cares what the reasons for it were, Foley winning at SS99 was a great moment that caught me completely off guard.

Only cause it made no sense. They just took the title right off him, it was rather pointless