TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 7/28 - 8/3

Guest Cal Moriarty

Congratulations, KingPK, you really got one on me! Too bad the quality of your team has been diminished, but you sure got me there, heh heh.

I questioned the Sox deal a bit when I thought Griffey would DH and spot the guys in the corner, but CF? Are the White Sox fucking crazy?

whitesox_275.jpg

"You better stay out of White Sox business."

Bay to the Red Sox. Manny to the Dodgers. Details on the way.

EDIT: I'll wait to hear which prospects they had to give up, but provided it's not one of the top guys I'm ecstatic.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Well, good to see that the Pirates are still willing to be fleeced by large-market teams under new management. However, they've reunited the brothers LaRoche! This is better than the Wilsons!

Red Sox sent Craig Hansen to Pittsburgh. Whaaaaaaatever. This certainly helps the Dodgers a lot, though.

Congratulations, KingPK, you really got one on me! Too bad the quality of your team has been diminished, but you sure got me there, heh heh.

I just liked that it took all of two minutes for someone to post about a trade. Quit trying to make everything about you, Czech.

Yeah what was the White Sox thinking trading for a hall of fame talent with 600 home runs? I mean, commit them to Arkham or something. If only I could get an overrated player like Jason Bay instead...

Guest Cal Moriarty

I just liked that it took all of two minutes for someone to post about a trade. Quit trying to make everything about you, Czech.

Oh, stop; you have your opposite-of-favorites here, and from reading the other board, I know where I stand.

Yeah what was the White Sox thinking trading for a hall of fame talent with 600 home runs? I mean, commit them to Arkham or something. If only I could get an overrated player like Jason Bay instead...

But he's not the same player.

Yeah what WERE the White Sox thinking trading for a hall of fame talent with 600 home runs? I mean, commit them to Arkham or something. If only I could get an overrated player like Jason Bay instead...

not to be a dick, but i had to say something. you are better than this.

Holy shit. I just hope L.A. didn't trade Matt Kemp. Anyone else, I'm fine with. Ethier/LaRoche/DeWitt..any of them. Just not fucking Matt Kemp!

You mean that injury-prone Hall of Fame talent that's batting .245 this year? He'll help the White Sox, but having him play OF over DH is a mistake.

EDIT: Brendan Moss and Craig Hansen are the Sox prospects heading out. I'm getting more satisfied.

Edited by KingPK

Yeah and about 590 of them came when he was still a halfway decent ballplayer. Ken Griffey is a league average hitter and a below average defender. He's an upgrade over Paul ".650 OPS" Konerko, but that's not saying much.

And since when is Jason Bay overrated?

Guest Cal Moriarty
Holy shit. I just hope L.A. didn't trade Matt Kemp. Anyone else, I'm fine with. Ethier/LaRoche/DeWitt..any of them. Just not fucking Matt Kemp!

They traded Andy LaRoche and Damian Moss, I believe.

Yeah, Thome and Griffey have over 1100 home runs between them, but that doesn't really have a great deal of bearing on their current performance.

Never mind.

Does this trade put the Dodgers in the driver's seat in the West? The division is so close that any big addition should help.

I can't wait to see what Alyssa Milano says about this trade on her blog!!!

"Too bad Manny Ramirez doesn't pitch or else I'd totally fuck him."?

Guest Cal Moriarty

I'm pretty sure Prince Fielder just got ejected for arguing with the home plate umpire on a pop fly to left. Weird.

Oh, and yes, this should totally make the Dodgers the team to beat down the stretch. They probably won't win the division with more than 86, but that's where they're at out there.

The Red Sox overpaid for Jason Bay, but I'm just happy that Manny is gone. Moss and Hansen are decent, cheap players with upside but I don't see us crying over the loss in the future.

First of all, thanks for the correction St. Gabriel.

Second of all, I was mostly facetious. I understand that Griffey isn't the same player anymore, but like KingPK said, he'll help the White Sox. That's what they need. Help. That's why he was acquired. To help. He isn't expected to be the centerpiece of this revamped Sox offense or defense. He's a veteran player that has experience, can hit for power when he isn't being beat by good pitchers, and if nothing else, it's a name value to get more people to come to the games. The White Sox, I don't think, operated under the premise of being a great defense to begin with. Swisher wasn't that good of a centerfielder defensively, and I think his value is at 1B, so when you do that, you don't want to put Brian Anderson in the lineup even if his defense is ok. This is where Junior comes in.

Third of all, I said Jason Bay is overrated for the simple reason he's only getting recognized because he was the only player worth a damn the last few years with Pittsburgh.

I wonder what the Dodgers do with the outfield now.

Of course, it should be Ramirez-Kemp-Ethier, but I have a feeling Juan Pierre will steal a ton of starts from Ethier or Kemp and there's still that fat fuck Andruw Jones kicking around.

So I'm heading to the White Sox/Red Sawx game on the 10th next month. I've lost the chance to see Manny, but I got the chance to see Griffey now... well alright then.

I'm gonna take a wait and see attitude on this trade, but my mind first went "GODAMNIT GODAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNITGODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT".

Guest Cal Moriarty

Can Juan Pierre be waiver-traded? Just be rid of him entirely, and go Ramirez-Jones-Ethier. Probably do have to play Andruw Jones.

I can't wait for the fascinating Manny-Torre dynamic. Oh boy.

I'm gonna take a wait and see attitude on this trade, but my mind first went "GODAMNIT GODAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT GODDAMNITGODDAMNIT GODDAMNIT".

Your first impulse was the correct one, because now the Red Sox are not as good as they were with him. I think Red Sox management has gotten a little cocky. When they jettisoned Nomar, that was different, because he was still old and bad, and improved by replacing him. This is different. How long does Boston have Bay?

Your first impulse was the correct one, because now the Red Sox are not as good as they were with him. I think Red Sox management has gotten a little cocky. When they jettisoned Nomar, that was different, because he was still old and bad, and improved by replacing him. This is different. How long does Boston have Bay?

I disagree. When considering offense and defense, Bay/Manny is probably a wash or a minor downgrade at worst. But now they have the Manny conflict settled and have their right-handed power hitting LFer for next year at a $12.5 million discount. And do that they just had to give up their 5th outfielder and heart attack inducing Craig Hansen? I can live with that.

I don't think you grasp that Manny had to be moved. There was no other option. Granted, you never want to move one of your best players in the middle of a pennant race, but all things considered the team came out well.

Plus, with not having to worry about the options and with guys like Schilling and Timlin coming off the books, they have quite a bit of cash to throw around in the offseason, correct?

Guest Cal Moriarty

I'm pretty upset with the Brewers' employment of Caveman Baseball in the 9th inning today. Gagne threw a 3-0 behind Edmonds's back because he had two homers and 5 RBIs on the day. Then Fielder freaked out at an umpire and refused to go into the clubhouse after being tossed. If Yost called for that, screw him.

I don't think you grasp that Manny had to be moved. There was no other option.

No, I don't grasp it. Great teams with great managers are supposed to be able to overcome this bullshit. Why isn't Terry Francona, who's reputed to be one of the better players' managers out there, able to reach this guy? Is he too upset about being banned from wearing fleece? What happened? These things should be overcome. Maybe part of the problem is that the organization has been openly treating him as disposable for about five years, which is certainly not as smart as, say, putting luxury seats on the Green Monster.

Plus, with not having to worry about the options and with guys like Schilling and Timlin coming off the books, they have quite a bit of cash to throw around in the offseason, correct?

By going from Manny to Bay, and considering the free agents they have, they should have $30-$40 million to play with this offseason with the only true question mark being an upgrade or replacement at catcher. That gives the team a ton of flexibility to try and do something about SS or CF.

I don't think you grasp that Manny had to be moved. There was no other option.

No, I don't grasp it. Great teams with great managers are supposed to be able to overcome this bullshit.

They did to the tune of two world championships. It's just that this year Manny made it quite clear that he was not going to be satisfied with two more option years and wanted one more long-term deal. The FO wasn't going to give him that.