TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

EliteXC has had its last show; promotion to fold

So is Gina done then? She can't go to UFC

I could see Affliction running the Gina/Cyborg match as a special attraction at their next event, provided they last long enough to finally pull off that event.

That sucks to see them go. I hate to say it, but it is going to be extremely difficult for any mma promotion to gain a foothold in the North American market. Elite XC had 10 times the Television package that the UFC had. In the end it may have been a TUF reject that put the final nail in the coffin.

I thought they could rebound from the Kimbo loss but Seth couldn't just let it be. He had to take it one step further. Now I'm not excusing Pro Elite, but if it comes out that they did nothing wrong, Seth deserves to be blackballed from all major MMA promotions. If it turns out that Pro Elite did do something wrong, than you reap what you sow and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Affliction seems to be the only thing standing in the way of the UFC having a monopoly on the sport. With the way the economy is, I don't see anybody willing to spend the money it would take to compete on a national level.

It will be interesting to see who goes where. Jake Shields seems like a lock for the UFC. Robbie Lawler could go either way. Affliction might want to pick him up and have him compete with Vitor, Lindland, and Mousasi. It is important for Affliction to establish strong divisions where they can. The same goes with Feijao. He would be much better off going with Affliction. He would just get lost in the shuffle in the UFC light heavyweight division.

I think it would be wise of Zuffa to sign Gina Carano. Dana White may be against it, but I think they should add womens mma to the WEC. It would help to differentiate the WEC from the UFC. Now that they got rid of the 205 and 185 pound divisions, they can truly give the WEC its own identity.

Make 2 womens divisons in the WEC and sign the best women fighters they can get. Its not like it is going to cost them a lot. Carano may be the most expensive with Tara LaRosa being 2nd after the AFL folds. They just better make sure one of those divisions is 145 so Carano can make weight.

No. I agree that might be a good option. WEC is all about top flight competition and the women usually don't disappoint.

IE UFC Signings: Feijao was on his way there shortly; anyway. The man has a very bright future. When Nog and Anderson Silva are your trainers and they say you're a future champ... I tend to give that some credibility.

Silva will probably not be on Dana's good side right away but he has a shot. Shields, obviously. Hopefully Alvarez. Nick Diaz?

As for Kimbo; Affliction should strike while the iron is hot and put him on the January show against someone they want to build up. After that loss he can probably disappear forever. Dana will never sign Kimbo.

Kimbo's high 6 figure pay days will prevent him from signing w/ Affliction i assume. He probably will only fight once or twice more for 1 shots.

I'd love to see him vs Sapp in Japan actually. Freak show at its best.

UFC will probably look into/sign a few guys...Robbie Lawler, Jake Shields, and Eddie Alvarez come to mind immediately. Alvarez does have a deal with DREAM, but for all intents and purposes, DREAM is pretty much dead as well. I could see Dana giving Petruzelli a look...if only to fuck with the ghost of Elite XC more.

Women fighters are fucked due to this. They don't have an outlet since UFC (and WEC) will not feature women fighting. Blame Dana for that.

And Meltzer says that many of the Elite guys were paid more then they were worth, which will hurt their ability to get picked up by UFC since more likely then not, UFC will low-ball just about everyone. So many people will be stuck doing indy's, or not fighting at all. There's no real other big promotions in the world, since Affliction is all but dead itself, DREAM being in limbo, and Sengoku just...existing.

Thanks to that sweet De La Hoya money they'll be around for awhile... even if it winds up in a slightly neutered form. Don't forget they also have Trump money AND even though they lost money on their first PPV it's still one more PPV then EliteXC ever had.

The reason the UFC is not dead right now is because they "low ball" fighters. How many promotions have thrown money away spending 6 figures on guys who don't draw? Well, just about every fucking promotion in the past few years that has started up and died within a year and a half. There should not be any fighters making over 100,000 that are outside the UFC. And yet guys like Arlovski, Sylvia, Barnett, etc. are making well over that. And the promotion that signs them dies. Let's call it the Matt Lindland Syndrome. Any company willing to pay Lindland that money he commands dies because they are investing money in a fighter who no one fucking cares about and who no one likes to watch fight.

UFC does not have a monopoly. A monopoly is more than just one company having the vast majority of market share. It's more about barriers to entry. UFC can't control whether or not new promotions start-up, as evidenced by all the bandwagon jumpers in the past few years. Joe Blow could go out and start up his own fighting organization right now if he wanted to, or some rich billionaire could invest money and start competing with the UFC right away. It's just the market kills those types of people because there isn't really enough room for 2 promotions. There isn't another NFL for a reason. Or MLB. Or NHL.

I know they were in a tenous position throught their existence but if Kimbo beats Shamrock that fateful Saturday night, does EliteXC survive?

I think the win would've given CBS confidence to buy the company and make the immediate superfight with Ortiz who would've most likely signed with EliteXc.

I think Carano will only fight Cyborg on some supershow in Japan for a large purse. I don't see the incentive for Carano as she is in exactly the same position Laila Ali was in boxing, namely the beautiful face that could be marketed outside of their violent sport.

I think Lawler's best bet is AFFLICTION as he will get the payday he has never received before.

For Kimbo, I am torn about the issue. I don't know what the exact payout was but I think he may have had at least 2 more big fights and a higher payout than the half a million plus he received against Petruzelli.

Petruzelli embodies the person who can't stand prosperity.

The reason the UFC is not dead right now is because they "low ball" fighters. How many promotions have thrown money away spending 6 figures on guys who don't draw? Well, just about every fucking promotion in the past few years that has started up and died within a year and a half. There should not be any fighters making over 100,000 that are outside the UFC. And yet guys like Arlovski, Sylvia, Barnett, etc. are making well over that. And the promotion that signs them dies. Let's call it the Matt Lindland Syndrome. Any company willing to pay Lindland that money he commands dies because they are investing money in a fighter who no one fucking cares about and who no one likes to watch fight.

UFC does not have a monopoly. A monopoly is more than just one company having the vast majority of market share. It's more about barriers to entry. UFC can't control whether or not new promotions start-up, as evidenced by all the bandwagon jumpers in the past few years. Joe Blow could go out and start up his own fighting organization right now if he wanted to, or some rich billionaire could invest money and start competing with the UFC right away. It's just the market kills those types of people because there isn't really enough room for 2 promotions. There isn't another NFL for a reason. Or MLB. Or NHL.

Exactly

I am not going to crap on someone getting paid. But Kimbo getting $500k for a fight is insane. Arlovski getting $500k and Ben Freaking Rothwell getting $250 for his last fight is nuts. I like the fact that these guys are getting paydays. But do you think the UFC had much interest in a guy like Rothwell in the first place? Might he make $30k for a fight there based on his name? Was Andre getting around $70-$100k? These companies are overshooting more than they need to and it's going to bury any other upstart

EXC was still something like 60 mil in the hole, so no matter what happened during Shamrock/Kimbo, they were still fucked. It's just whatever thread of hope for making money died when Kimbo did, so they packed up shop. In other words, a nice cold dose of reality.

EXC was still something like 60 mil in the hole, so no matter what happened during Shamrock/Kimbo, they were still fucked. It's just whatever thread of hope for making money died when Kimbo did, so they packed up shop. In other words, a nice cold dose of reality.

You've read up on this right? Because everything you've mentioned is *NOT* why Elite XC has died.

Elite XC died because neither Showtime nor CBS stepped up to buy them. They were going to until the Petrugate scandal broke, and in fact had all but agreed to it. When people started claiming that they were fixing fights, or trying to influence fights, CBS got the fuck out of dodge. It wasn't because Kimbo lost, but because Elite XC tried to put in a form of a fix. They then forced Showtime to try and claim all the money they had loaned to Elite XC. THAT was what killed Elite XC. Showtime collected on all the money they had loaned, gave them three days, and Elite XC defaulted because they couldn't possibly have paid it. They could have functioned with this "sixty million in the hole" with CBS and Showtime propping them up. They had virtually been in debt this entire time. What killed them was Showtime demanding the money they had loaned once it was pushed through the channels that the deal was off. Had CBS went through with the agreement Elite XC would be fine right now, and it would have been 100% dependent on their ratings from that point on. Which were good, a fact that cannot nor should be ignored.

Kimbo Slice had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with their death beyond losing and Elite XC being shady as hell. In fact, had it not been for Kimbo drawing gates and ratings, they would have died months ago. He was the *ONLY* drawing fighter in Elite XC. Until Tito Ortiz draws independent of UFC, for right now, Kimbo Slice is the biggest draw that is not affiliated with the UFC in North America. Frank Shamrock, Cung Le, Fedor, Sylvia, Arlovski, etc, etc all have really nothing on Kimbo. Does that mean Elite XC should have built they entire house on a stack of cards? Probably not, but what the hell were they supposed to do? Die months ago with no hope?

If you don't like Kimbo Slice, fine, but don't try to misconstrue this as some kind of cosmic karma for Elite XC pushing Kimbo. It wasn't. If anything, its cosmic karma for Elite XC being incredibly sleazy and being dumb enough to get caught doing it.

As for my earlier post that mentioned Affliction...Affliction's dead. Their still going to be paying 2-3 million just on fighter purses for the next show. UFC won't let them run unopposed, and their scared to death of running against UFC. At this rate, considering it's been pushed back two times (that I remember) because of that, they'll be lucky if they ever get another show off. Right now, it's scheduled for January, but they'd have to do around 200,000+ buys to even break even with all their costs. It won't happen. And no one really knows what the fuck the Golden Boy Productions thing is either. There won't be any boxing on the next Affliction show, like had been rumored, unless things changed without me knowing..

Petruzelli embodies the person who can't stand prosperity.

What does this even mean?

Is it the same as destrucity?

Petruzelli by virtue of his victory could've campaigned for a great payday in a rematch with Kimbo or even a fight with Ortiz had he signed with EliteXC. Instead of remaining in this advantageous situation, Petruzelli had to open his mouth and bring the spectre of fixing fights to a promotion that was hanging by a thread.

Petruzelli had at least 2 big fights coming with EliteXC and could've parlayed that into something more. Now as it stands, if EliteXC is cleared he will become a pariah and at best he will fight fight for little or nothing as he was doing before.

The Florida commision has closed their investigation on Pro Elite. They sent this email to Sherdog.

“Through a preliminary investigation, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation has concluded that no wrongdoing occurred in the ProElite MMA fight between Kimbo Slice and Seth Petruzelli,” wrote Antonacci in an e-mail sent to Sherdog.com

The Florida commision has closed their investigation on Pro Elite. They sent this email to Sherdog.

“Through a preliminary investigation, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation has concluded that no wrongdoing occurred in the ProElite MMA fight between Kimbo Slice and Seth Petruzelli,” wrote Antonacci in an e-mail sent to Sherdog.com

Will any MMA company touch Petruzelli after this?