TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kinetic

NFL Week 2

Guest Vitamin X

Go A-Rodge! One point less than Alex Smith, but fuck that guy. Also missing from that list is Peyton Manning, who got a 28, and Brian Griese who got a 37.

Next USC #55...

McNair didn't start until year 3 and he was 24 years old at the time largely sitting on the bench for 2 years.

Umm.. read my post again. I mentioned all this... well not the bench part but when I say he only started 6 games in the first two years, that's naturally assumed. That's why I combined his first two years, because those two years can give you a better comparison to VY's one rookie year.

And Vince Young was 24 when he first assumed full time starting role.

Even still, that's a poor comparison. The first radical difference is that Young started at least double the number of games that McNair did... a huge difference in the NFL in terms of experience. Another radical difference is that Young didn't sit on the bench except for his first game whereas McNair largely sat on the bench for most of his first two seasons. It's like comparing Carson Palmer who sat on the bench for his first year to David Carr who was virtually thrown to the wolves as a rookie. The experience required to adapt to the NFL alone makes such a comparison virtually worthless.

I understand why the comparison is being made (Same team, same abilities as a QB, similar age, etc.) but the circumstances are just too radical. If you want to do a true comparison, you have to take into account the environment that the QB is undergoing. If you compare the numbers between Young and David Carr or Joey Harrington, you'll see that they are fairly similar with similar conditions.

First 2 Years (All three were essentially thrown in as saviors of their franchise while a rookie)

Vince Young (28 Starts): 4,745 yards with 21 TD vs. 30 INT

David Carr (27 Starts): 4,605 yards with 18 TD vs. 28 INT

Joey Harrington (28 Starts): 5,174 yards with 29 TD vs. 38 INT

I wasn't making a true comparison. I didn't think they were that much alike. But since people kept comparing the two, I thought why not do little research thanks to pro-football-reference.com, and see what I find. I simply posted what I found, and left the conclusions up to the readers.

I suppose I'd have to agree with you, however you do have some guys that were thrown to wolves and they turned out fine.

The "black QB couldn't succeed in Tennessee cuz they racist" thing would be a little silly considering that the two best QBs in franchise history were both black. I haven't heard anything implying that. Someone get Stephen A. on the Budweiser Hot Seat ASAP.

Hey now, Warren Moon played in Houston.

I guess the NFL isn't going to have to try very hard to prevent Chad Johnson from using the name "Ocho Cinco" on his jerseys. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,106605 Apparently part of the deal with Reebok says that he would have to buy out all of their remaining C. Johnson jerseys. Apparently there are about 100,000 jerseys out there and he'd have to buy them out at $48 a piece. Don't see that happening.

lol @ Chad Johnson.

That name-change was one of the most shameless, attention-whoring things I've ever seen. Now all he has is the same old jersey and a stupid new name. Nice job, Chad OC.

Guest דניא&#15

To repeat what migoli said in a previous thread, you guys, i.e. football fans, are the same ones who keep saying "ARGH I'M SICK OF ALL THESE FINES AND PENALTIES RABBLE RABBLE NO FUN LEAGUE RABBLE," and when one guy finally has the creativity and chutzpah to subvert Goodell's stranglehold on player conduct, it's the wrong kind of fun? Worry about the football players who are doing really retarded things. There's about half as much vitriol on the Internet directed at Ocho Cinco for changing his name as there was for Michael Vick running a dogfighting ring, and there shouldn't be any at all. How does it adversely affect your appreciation of a Cincinnati Bengals telecast if his name is Chad Ocho Cinco? Who are you to tell him what his name should be? It's completely ridiculous. Brian Urlacher could change his name to the four Led Zeppelin runes from the untitled fourth album, and I wouldn't care at all whatsoever as long as he delivers results. So which is it? Do you want athletes to creatively express themselves as best they can, or should they be consigned to their roles as anonymous and disposable water balloons of steroids who run into each other to satisfy a nation's collective bloodlust? Pick a lane. I want an answer to each question posed.

So which is it? Do you want athletes to creatively express themselves as best they can, or should they be consigned to their roles as anonymous and disposable water balloons of steroids who run into each other to satisfy a nation's collective bloodlust?

Hardly mutually exclusive concepts here. Something like end zone celebrations are fine since they reflect an in-game accomplishment in the heat of the moment. Some of the more elaborate ones get pretty silly (after the sharpie, it was all downhill with outside props), but I digress... Once you get players changing names so they can have something "creative" or "funny" on their jerseys, the NFL starts to look bush-league, or more like the XFL. There can be certain levels of "fun" in the NFL. The league certainly sees the how out of control the whole name-changing thing could get. I mean, if you were running a business, would you want your employees running around with ridiculous made up names? Surely you can see why the NFL doesn't want to allow this.

As far as me personally, I just don't think it's funny, and I think it reflects poorly on Chad Johnson's character, but I won't lose too much sleep over it. Although if we're gonna get a crazy jersey trend going, I at least want Rod Smart to legally change his name to "He Hate Me" if he's still around.

This reflects poorly on a member of the Bengals? This would have never happened if the league hadn't gotten pissed over the one time he had the velcro patch over his real name during pregame warmups (heaven forbid!).

He should buy them all and then give them to charity or Goodwill or something, just so Reebok & Goodell look like douches. Hell, they give away all the shirts & hats for the losing conference champion/Super Bowl games, they're over in Africa somewhere, what's the fucking difference? "19-0" shirt good enough for some starving African kid but "C. Johnson"'s going to break the bank?

He should buy them all and then give them to charity or Goodwill or something, just so Reebok & Goodell look like douches. Hell, they give away all the shirts & hats for the losing conference champion/Super Bowl games, they're over in Africa somewhere, what's the fucking difference? "19-0" shirt good enough for some starving African kid but "C. Johnson"'s going to break the bank?

Chad's base salary before bonuses is $3 million this year. Buying the jerseys would cost $4.8 million. I'd have to think that his accountant would advise against this, even with the goodwill and all.

Also, to expand on Czech's questions earlier, I don't care whether or not the players are having fun or expressing themselves. It's of no consequence to me because I actually do view the players as disposable. Goodell's crackdowns may be overly authoritarian, but he's perfectly within his rights to do so and his changes have enhanced my enjoyment of the league. I'm not losing any sleep over the injustices to Chad Ocho Cinco.

I'm not losing any sleep over the injustices to Chad Ocho Cinco.

You mean you aren't already losing sleep over Tom Brady's injury? That seems to be the popular opinion of Boston fans.

Not a Patriots fan. We seem to go through this every season. Not that I would expect you to keep tabs on me, but I was just talking about how I am a Raiders fan yesterday.

I saw you speak of that. I'm glad there's another Raiders fan around in addition to the others, but it is possible to like more than one team. However, consider my comment a lighthearted joke. Sorry it wasn't so applicable to you.

I'm not a Patriots fan, but the season is going to be less interesting now that the premier QB is out injured. Being that my team isn't going to do much, I do look forward more to watching games as a nuetral fan. I don't care who wins or loses, I just want to see a great game. I appreciate great players that I should otherwise should be rooting against. I hope Brady comes back and eventually becomes the same player he was at his prime. It'll suck if he's never the same player again. At least he is a pocket passer and not a scrambler, so if he loses speed it wouldn't be diminishing his best skills

Rumor has it that the Bucs are shopping Jeff Garcia.

"Jeff Garcia" and "shopping" in the same sentence makes me want to cook up a bad joke, but I'll resist the urge. What the hell is it with Gruden and quarterbacks? Sheesh.

Don't know if people have heard or not but Baltimore / Houston has been pushed back to Monday at 7:30pm CST due to Hurricane Ike treating the Gulf Coast like Tina.

Don't know if people have heard or not but Baltimore / Houston has been pushed back to Monday at 7:30pm CST due to Hurricane Ike treating the Gulf Coast like Tina.

Nice.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh hey, look! The Vikings fans came back! How was that vacation you guys took last week?

I'm not a Patriots fan, but the season is going to be less interesting now that the premier QB is out injured.

On the contrary, we'll find out this season if it really was Brady that made that team go or if it is a collective effort. They still have Welker, Moss and the defense. Once the news sunk in and I got over the doom and gloom, I've come to the opinion that this could be a rallying point; it's 2003-04 all over again with the "They don't respect us!" talk. If you listen to the team talk this week, they are sick of hearing that their season is basically over and they might as well pack it in without Brady. Plus, this IS the NFL; stupid, unbelievable shit happening is par for the course lately. I still think they are division favorites, but I doubt they get a bye and only make it as far as the divisional round at best.

Guest Smues
I'm not a Patriots fan, but the season is going to be less interesting now that the premier QB is out injured.

On the contrary, we'll find out this season if it really was Brady that made that team go or if it is a collective effort. They still have Welker, Moss and the defense. Once the news sunk in and I got over the doom and gloom, I've come to the opinion that this could be a rallying point; it's 2003-04 all over again with the "They don't respect us!" talk. If you listen to the team talk this week, they are sick of hearing that their season is basically over and they might as well pack it in without Brady. Plus, this IS the NFL; stupid, unbelievable shit happening is par for the course lately. I still think they are division favorites, but I doubt they get a bye and only make it as far as the divisional round at best.

I'm not stupid enough to ever count out the Patriots. But dear god if that We dun't get no respect! shit happens again this season I'm going to kill somebody.

Guest Vitamin X
What? I posted in last weeks thread.

It's been 4 days and I don't tend to talk about football early as fuck in the week.

It just seemed like you folks went and AWOLed it during and after the Vikes-Packers game. I saw you post in the thread last week, talking about how the Pack's 0 combined starts with their QBs was LOL funny, despite the fact that Jackson, with all of those 13 starts under his belt, tanked it and ours ended up wih a 116 QB Rating and the win.

I've come to the opinion that this could be a rallying point; it's 2003-04 all over again with the "They don't respect us!" talk. If you listen to the team talk this week, they are sick of hearing that their season is basically over and they might as well pack it in without Brady.

Aw, FUCK.

What? I posted in last weeks thread.

It's been 4 days and I don't tend to talk about football early as fuck in the week.

It just seemed like you folks went and AWOLed it during and after the Vikes-Packers game. I saw you post in the thread last week, talking about how the Pack's 0 combined starts with their QBs was LOL funny, despite the fact that Jackson, with all of those 13 starts under his belt, tanked it and ours ended up wih a 116 QB Rating and the win.

I was mostly talking about the rookie backups in GB which seems dumb imo, but how often do you see a stat like that with 0 starts out of the 3 QBs on a team?

Tarvaris didn't play as badly as a lot of people make it out, I think most of it falls on the coaching staff. Sure Jackson was inaccurate on a lot of throws, but it really seemed like they had him on a leash in the first half. The second half he played pretty well and just made a bad throw at the end. It happens, the game really could have gone either way quite easily and the fact that we played horribly and still had a chance to win at the end makes me feel better about it.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Has Rodney Harrison announced that Brett Favre has disrespected him and the Patriots by moving to the AFC East?

I wasn't making a true comparison. I didn't think they were that much alike. But since people kept comparing the two, I thought why not do little research thanks to pro-football-reference.com, and see what I find. I simply posted what I found, and left the conclusions up to the readers.

I suppose I'd have to agree with you, however you do have some guys that were thrown to wolves and they turned out fine.

Yeah, but weren't some of the guys thrown to the wolves expected to do less or they had more talent around them? I mean I think of Big Ben his rookie season, yeah he did great but at the same time he was really just doing a lot of handing off and he wasn't expected to carry the load on his shoulders.

it's 2003-04 all over again with the "They don't respect us!" talk. If you listen to the team talk this week, they are sick of hearing that their season is basically over and they might as well pack it in without Brady.

That really has been the silver lining of Brady's injury. I think Richard Seymour may trump Rodney Harrison this year.

I'm not stupid enough to ever count out the Patriots. But dear god if that We dun't get no respect! shit happens again this season I'm going to kill somebody.

This is a team that takes the lightest slight personally and uses it to motivate themselves. Now they're hearing about how the freakin' New York Jets could win the division over them or that the Patriots will not make the Super Bowl period and could struggle to make the playoffs.

If they need to bust out the "We don't get no respect" angle to fuel themselves and win games, I won't be the least bit shocked. Do I think that statement is a bit stupid on a general level? Absolutely but at the same time, you can't argue the fact that many immediately seemed to write off the Patriots as a major threat (i.e. Super Bowl/AFC Championship) once Brady went down and basically are saying that the Patriots are Brady as if the other 52 players were riding the coattails.

I don't agree with that sentiment but can understand the perceived slight that the Patriots players have taken over that message.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5999358.html

The Houston Texans will not be playing their home opener against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday night at Reliant Stadium.

The game was supposed to have been played at 7:30 p.m., but Hurricane Ike has caused damage to the stadium that has made it unsuitable for hosting the game.

"The facility will not be usable," said Shey Guinn, president of SMG, the company that manages Reliant Park.

"There's some structural damage to the roof. Part of it is off," Guinn said.

"There's also some other damage on the property caused by wind and water. We're in the process of assessing the damage," he said. "As far as the game being postponed again or played, that will be up to the NFL."

The game had originally been set for 3:15 p.m. Sunday, but because of Ike the NFL moved it to Monday night.

The Texans and Ravens will have no comment until they hear from the league. Conference calls among three are scheduled for later today.

The NFL will determine where and when the Texans play the Ravens. The Texans' bye week (Oct. 26) is a possibility. The Texans and Bengals have the same bye week. The Ravens' bye week is Nov. 9. The Texans host the Bengals on Nov. 6. The Texans could host the Bengals on Oct. 26 and the Ravens on Nov. 6.

The big question is, can Reliant Stadium be repaired in time for the Texans' next home game Oct. 5 against Indianapolis.

Rice Stadium could be an alternative. When Hurricane Katrina forced the Saints to leave New Orleans in 2005, they relocated to San Antonio and played at the Alamodome.

The last thing the Texans want to do is to play road games until Reliant Stadium is ready.

Until experts assess the damage at Reliant Stadium, nobody knows anything.

The Colts game marks the first of three in a row at home. Miami (Oct. 12) and Detroit (Oct. 19) are scheduled to come to Houston after Indianapolis.