TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Examples of Announcers Ignoring PPV Matches In Progress

OK, with recently having more free time than I used to, I've been going through the WrestleManias and Royal Rumbles in chronological order. I'm currently on WrestleMania VI, the DiBiase/Roberts match.

During the match, Jesse Ventura completely ignores the match, more concerned about the fans doing The Wave (as well as periodically making joking insults about Gorilla Monsoon having eaten too many hot dogs) than the match.

What are some other examples of this happening?

It wasn't a PPV, but this was the only example I can recall:

From Raw in May '99, a few weeks before Over The Edge. Earlier in the show, The Rock was locked in a casket, which Triple H smashed with a sledgehammer, repeatedly.

It's all JR talked about during the following match, which seems really odd knowing what we do now. The match was, I believe Michael Hayes and The Hardys vs. The Brood. JR even apologised for it a few times. It may not have been Michael Hayes, but it definitely involved The Hardys and Edge and Christian.

I think a lot of the WCW PPV's during the nWo era consisted of the announcers talking about the nWo instead the match.

I remember a few times during Nitro where the announcers would be doing nothing but hype what was happening in the main even segment. IE: What is Sting going do???? This may be the greatest night in the history of this industry!!

The only match I can think of where the announcers didn't make a single mention of what was going on during the match was a the last televised appearance of Bunkhouse Buck on WCW Pro in early 1996 (though he was brought back a year or two later) where the announcers made it a point to only drive storylines home (probably some shit about the Doomsday Cage Match or something) and ignore the guy who was on his way out.

I'm trying to remember this, but didn't the WCW announcers mostly hype The Outsiders invading during the excellent Rey/Psychosis opener of Bash at the Beach 1996?

Monsoon and Heenan don't acknowledge the Tatanka/Martel match during Wrestlemania VIII until it's almost over because Heenan's still going nuts over Flair losing the title.

Yeah...and Monsoon even messes up Martel's name, calling him "The Model" Ric Flair.

Probably every PPV in WCW from 96-99. I just started watching Nitro's from 98 & the announcers don't even bother commentating on matches they just constantly talk about the NWO.

Probably every PPV in WCW from 96-99. I just started watching Nitro's from 98 & the announcers don't even bother commentating on matches they just constantly talk about the NWO.

True, that was what a lot of people hated about WCW commentary at the time.

*Rey Mysterio and Ultimo Dragon in a match*

Schiavone:"I wonder who's joining the NWO next?"

Survivor Series 1999, the 8-man involving Too Cool, which came right after Austin being run down. Lawler spends not all but a lot of the match jabbing at JR about Austin. Then when they do get onto the match, I'm pretty sure they spent a lot of time talking about Scotty's ring attire and hat and/or Brian Christopher's family heritage. One of their last memorable performances as a team IMO.

Really any episode ever of Jakked/Metal.

I saw an Essa Rios/Low-Ki match in 2001 and Hayes was talking about being in the Gimmick Battle Royal at Wrestlemania X-7.

Mania 16 during T&A vs Head Cheese, most of the short match involved JR's headset malfunctioning and Lawler continually asking "I thought you said Trish was joining us for commentary?" And of course Lecherous Lawler fawning over Trish.

Monsoon and Heenan don't acknowledge the Tatanka/Martel match during Wrestlemania VIII until it's almost over because Heenan's still going nuts over Flair losing the title.

Yeah...and Monsoon even messes up Martel's name, calling him "The Model" Ric Flair.

He also got Martel and Fair mixed up at Royal Rumble 92.