TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE To Now Exclusively Call Their Talent "Entertainers"

I love how in one folder people are lamenting that the board is dying and there's no discussion...

And then this thread got called out for getting discussion.

I didn't agree with that thread, to be fair.

My god...the wwe seems to be ashamed of their own product. This explanation/excuse makes no sense..as if they couldn't make this argument to the individual states in person and somehow calling them entertainers on the air is going to change their opinions? lmao...OKIE dokie mr genius.

sigh...it's things like this that is more and more making me less of a fan and i have been a fan of wrestling since 1984. It's bad that I find more entertainment watching 20 or 30 year old interviews on youtube (and god knows I love the wrestling more) than watching new and live stuff today. I used to really enjoy wrestling, even the dumber moments of the attitude era/wcw days and stayed glued to the tv set when wcw saturday night, nitro or raw was on. Now, I find myself missing half of raw flipping to football and hardly ever even watch smackdown. And one of the reasons for that is stupid shit like this.

I guess next they are going to start rolling credits at the end of each raw.

Now, I find myself missing half of raw flipping to football and hardly ever even watch smackdown. And one of the reasons for that is stupid shit like this.

That's just sad.

WCW did that for PPVs

WCW did that for PPVs

I don't think that he was talking about those who put the show together, but the real names of the "entertainers" and who they portrayed.

We need RAW with a cute little 80's sitcom opening credits thing. That ends with everyone sitting around a big dinner table or something to show how family oriented this is.

And after every major feud, the wrestlers have to have a heart to heart where they apologize to each other and hug or shake hands as the crowd goes AWWWWWWWWW

We need RAW with a cute little 80's sitcom opening credits thing. That ends with everyone sitting around a big dinner table or something to show how family oriented this is.

And after every major feud, the wrestlers have to have a heart to heart where they apologize to each other and hug or shake hands as the crowd goes AWWWWWWWWW

WWE: Full House Edition!

With the responses in this thread, you would think this was an important issue.

I'm not so sure it isn't one. The constant references to workers as "entertainers" tears at the suspension of disbelief.

It's one thing to know that pro wrestling isn't real. It's another thing altogether to have that fact forcibly shoved down one's throat.

I'm not so sure it isn't one. The constant references to workers as "entertainers" tears at the suspension of disbelief.

It's one thing to know that pro wrestling isn't real. It's another thing altogether to have that fact forcibly shoved down one's throat.

Well, it isn't as bad as Russo-era WCW where they were constantly going on and on about the "script."

At least it isn't yet...

It's hard to get a grip with this because the entertaining part of the show (Which is the actual wrestling) isnt that entertaining. In Raw, out of two hours I can say that there is only one good match while the other hour and 45 minutes is pure punch, kick, no sell, finisher and bad promos.

I've been a fan since 1985 (That's when I was old enough to know what the fuck is wrestling.) and as much as I want to stay a die hard wrestling fan, I feel like WWE are like the fuckin knicks... Love the knicks, but I hate what they done to the franchise. I remember when attitude era was in the mix, and the t.v. war between raw and nitro, I use to flip back and fourth from DX to NWO all the time, now, I'm barely watching WWE and changes upon changes is just messing this thing over.

I catch myself right now watching Heroes and MNF most of the time, flipping back to Raw to catch the good match which is coming from usually mid carders. I dont even watch smackdown anymore, because the only good match they usually have last about 8 minutes and after two commercial breaks and once again, that's with midcarders.

Vince should stop being a pussy, spend some money and get this shit rolling again. Make shows that would attract the true wrestling fans, now a 8 year old boy that all he says in school is 'you cant see me' nor a 11 year old girl that think that CENA is soooo cute I would marry him and he can do what ever he want with me (Just the thought of that makes me ill... shit, I got mental pictures.).

Seriously, stop with the changes, go back to how it use to be, and stop being a pussy.

First we see "Chris Jericho as Chris Jericho", he comes out smirking, half looking at the camera and nods, then out of nowhere, he takes a chair shot, we see Shawn Michaels step in to the picture, looks both ways to see if anyone saw that, does the startled thing as he looks at the camera/tv audience, drops the chair and does the "what, I didn't do do it" gesture while smiling and chuckling, followed by "and featuring Michael Hickenbottom as Shawn Michaels"

Are we sure that everyone knows WWE is making the best business they have ever made? You honestly think this changing of names is gonna kill them? Do you honestly think this is going to kill mainstream pro wrestling? Really?

If you're posting on a message board called The Smart Marks, your suspension of disbelief is already critically wounded.

This isn't as bad as "WWE Universe" (which many of the same people are running around in circles screaming about), but I'll honestly miss hearing "Superstars".

This isn't a real big deal, not like changing from WWF to WWE level big. But it's just another slightly annoying bit of business that frustrates fans. I already loathe and detest the term "sports entertainment" so if they just call them entertainers it might actually be an improvement.

First we see "Chris Jericho as Chris Jericho", he comes out smirking, half looking at the camera and nods, then out of nowhere, he takes a chair shot, we see Shawn Michaels step in to the picture, looks both ways to see if anyone saw that, does the startled thing as he looks at the camera/tv audience, drops the chair and does the "what, I didn't do do it" gesture while smiling and chuckling, followed by "and featuring Michael Hickenbottom as Shawn Michaels"

The part of Kane will be played by....

WWE is ridiculous. Classify them as whatever they want away from the ring, hell call them actors. But when they're in the ring or on camera for the wwe they're playing the role, the character of professional wrestlers. I don't understand why Vince can't see this.

I think the lines are blurred because of wrestlers making appearances using their wwe name. That would be something I'd rather see changed, than this current change.

"Phil Brooks, who plays professional wrestler CM Punk on WWE Raw is joining us today..."

Vince should just tell State Athletic Commissions to bugger off. It's not an athletic event, I mean does the athletic commissions stick their nose into circuses, ballets, broadway shows? Do they want to regulate actors when they play the roles of athletes in movies?

This is why I'm surprised at the lack of reaction to the MVP contract storyline. It practically spells out that it's fake.

Vince should stop being a pussy, spend some money and get this shit rolling again. Make shows that would attract the true wrestling fans, now a 8 year old boy that all he says in school is 'you cant see me' nor a 11 year old girl that think that CENA is soooo cute I would marry him and he can do what ever he want with me (Just the thought of that makes me ill... shit, I got mental pictures.).

Yeah, Vince only makes a ton of money off those people, it's totally ridiculous that he would want to keep doing so (not to mention building up the next generation of fans). What a horrible business plan!

To clarify, I wasn't saying that this single insignificant event was going to make me finally stop watching. There have just been so many changes to get the product away from what I liked about it, that I can see my interest slipping away to almost nothing. They can't say:

belt, strap, title, wrestle, wrestler, female wrestler, title-holder, etc.

If they wanted to go this route, they should get a ruling from court that they are nothing more than an entertainment company, and it is not an athletic event. However, the TV shows and PPV's should promote the characters and matches as real for the viewing audience. Kayfabe is long gone for the majority of the people, yet we still watch. All of the "realistic" aspects are being stripped away one by one, and I don't like the direction it's headed.

Every dumb decision over the last several years have brought me to this point, not just the decision to call them entertainers.

If they wanted to go this route, they should get a ruling from court that they are nothing more than an entertainment company, and it is not an athletic event.

According to numerous sources, the decision is part of a organized plan of attack towards getting WWE as a company re-classified as an

entertainment touring event, as posed to a legitimate sporting event.

I think this is what they're trying to do, Dandy.

WWE Raw presented to you in Technicolor!

WWE Raw was filmed in front of a live studio audience

Hey, you know how at the end of sitcoms that deal with a serious issue (drugs, death, abuse, rape, etc.), they have one of the lead actors come out and discuss the seriousness of said issue? Imagine the possibilities here!

WWE Raw presented to you in Technicolor!Hey, you know how at the end of sitcoms that deal with a serious issue (drugs, death, abuse, rape, etc.), they have one of the lead actors come out and discuss the seriousness of said issue? Imagine the possibilities here!

Or, you could have CM Punk call a time out, where everybody freezes except for him, as he breaks the fourth wall and communicates with the audience. Book it!

*just when I thought I might be about to start giving them another chance*

You wouldn't watch WWE because they want to call their talent "entertainers"? How pathetic.

Every dumb decision over the last several years have brought me to this point, not just the decision to call them entertainers.

What about the good decisions like what they've done with Jericho?