TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thanks for the Fish

Armageddon 2008

Now if only they had actually done it a year ago when it could have mattered.

They were just starting to put him in title contention a year ago, so they should have put it on him without even building him up to the spot (which they did here, and not too bad, all things considering, by the way)? Thats a big what the fuck statement there.

Some of us also have to get off the idea of having "big" moments like this title win saved for supposedly a bigger show. All of the ppvs, in theory, should be treated equally in what comes out of them, and it would be nice to see things happen like this on a ppv that was, on paper, ok looking but unexpected in how the outcome was. It made me really feel like I got my $50 worth out of the show, and definately made it feel anything but a throwaway show in the aftermath.

Jericho/Cena and Punk/Rey were also extremely strong bouts too, I'd put Rey/Punk at *** 3/4, Jericho/Cena at ****, and the triple threat main event at **** as well.

So is Punk told to find a new finisher?

Better dig up them Puro tapes again!

Rey slipped on his own feet coming down, so it wasn't any of Punk's fault on that move.

I wonder how bad Rey's injury is?

Both Meltzer and PWI have said Rey didn't suffer a broken nose, which is a good thing.

Punk should have been allowed to keep the Anaconda Vice, because he can do it on both big and small guys and there's no risk of injury.

I think Jeff's reign is a transition one which ends with dropping it to Triple H but not at Wrestlemania. I think they'll go for the swerve and have Jeff retain there and Hunter gets it the next month at Backlash. As for who Jeff faces at the Rumble, I think they'll have him face whoever it is that they decide to have as his attacker which I think will be Tomko, who they won't mind putting Jeff over. If Jeff's reign is to be something more long term, it'll depend on if he Garvin's the belt or not and, most importantly, if he keeps his nose clean.

http://www.dailymotion.com/samba_elmy/vide...22008-p17_sport

Jeff's title win for anyone who didn't see it. I missed the show last night (I thought Edge would retain for sure) and even though I knew that Hardy had won, I still marked the fuck out watching this video. Such an amazing moment.

Thanks for the link! This will definitely be an all-time classic moment. Jeff kneeling with the belt, after they cut the announcer's mics, is a great visual. Congrats WWE, I dared you to make me mark-out more than CM Punk winning the World title, and you've done it!

I'm watching this again, and where the hell is the "No reaction"? The crowd went crazy.

I watched it the first time without headphones (just out of my laptop speakers) and thought it was a good but not great reaction. Then I watched it with headphones on and god damn..the crowd exploded. And I cried.

Everyone in my section was kind of looking around for how Hardy WASN'T going to end up getting the three count...so no one really reacted until the hand dropped the third time. I've never been around so many people who were so sure a guy wasn't winning that it was a legit shock/happy pop when he did.

Even I didn't think he was going to win until he actually did. Even though all of the promos during the show were for this match and not Cena/Jericho. Even though it went on last. I didn't really think WWE would pull the trigger on Hardy...and if they did...I didn't think it would be at Armageddon in shitty Buffalo.

There was a moment when I thought Hardy was going to win, and then Kozlov knocked him off the top rope. That's when I turned to my friend and said "the lesson is...don't do drugs".

That was such a brilliant tease spot. Once Kozlov had HHH out of the picture it looked like nothing was stopping Hardy...but then he was stopped again.

I still marked out more to CM Punk's win, but I think Jeff's win was quite classy. I really liked how the audience were allowed to soak up the atmosphere with no commentary. Now imagine Jeff doing the same thing in TNA. Tenay and West wouldn't stop screaming and we wouldn't be allowed to live the moment.

I still marked out more to CM Punk's win, but I think Jeff's win was quite classy. I really liked how the audience were allowed to soak up the atmosphere with no commentary. Now imagine Jeff doing the same thing in TNA. Tenay and West wouldn't stop screaming and we wouldn't be allowed to live the moment.

Pun intended?

So I skimmed this (key word - SKIMMED), and this is what I took out of it:

I support Jeff Hardy winning the title, but having him when the title in a triple threat was just a way to sell PPVs so it was stupid

I fully agree with this! In the future, WWE should try and book matches or create possibilities based on things that WON'T sell PPVs. They're just being silly otherwise.

So I skimmed this, and this is what I took out of it:

I support Jeff Hardy winning the title, but having him when the title in a triple threat was just a way to sell PPVs so it was stupid

I fully agree with this! In the future, WWE should try and book matches or create possibilities based on things that WON'T sell PPVs. They're just being silly otherwise.

Where did I say that? Or are you making up a quote? Why not quote what I actually wrote? Pretty shady otherwise.

Nope, not me either. I didn't post anything about Hardy winning the title.

Nah, he was talking about me, but rather than quoting what I actually said, decided to bastardize what I said. My contention was that Hardy's big win should have been saved for WM, not some throw-away PPV that will pull a low buyrate. They traded a storyline for a cheap pop.

I don't think anybody believed Hardy had a chance at winning the title at Armageddon, so I don't know how his win sold PPV's, I guess maybe the replays (if anybody buys those). Maybe in the future the shitty throw-away PPV's might do better in the "anything can happen - remember Jeff Hardy's first win" sort of way.

Hardy's chase was the big win storyline that WM25 was waiting for. Maybe the bookers didn't trust him with being the ME of WM given his history and his two strike status. It was around this time last year that he got his second strike afterall.

Hardy winning the title doesn't change anything. It actually makes it worst, because it's gimmicky like they tried to make the PPV worthwhile by giving Hardy the title. I like Jeff getting the title, but the timing was all off. It was like the wwe painted themselves into a corner and knew they couldn't have him lose another title match, especially couldn't take the pin and HHH wasn't going to be pinned so they gave him the title.

Also Edge losing the title after a month is a joke as well. Hardy should have won the title at WM from Edge. Hardy could have been taken out of the title hunt by the attack last month, starting a feud with the perpetrator. Tomko is available to start at any time. They could have booked a storyline involving Edge, Christian, Tomko, Matt and Jeff Hardy - hell Kizarny and Helms as well if they really wanted to go big.

"It actually makes it worst, because it's gimmicky like they tried to make the PPV worthwhile by giving Hardy the title" was the line I was focusing on. I understand your point, but really, shouldn't they be trying to make PPVs worthwhile? People do pay for these things.

Considering all but one of the PPVs are not Wrestlemania, and discounting Summerslam, the Rumble, and Survivor Series, that leaves...8, 9 PPVs a year that don't sell on name alone.

Doesn't it make sense to book PPVs to sell the ones that need selling rather than building to a PPV people are going to buy anyway?

I found this slightly amusing towards the end.

The following was submitted by reader Derek Greser regarding an incident his friend was involved in at this past Sunday's Armageddon pay-per-view in Buffalo.

WWE Fan Robbed of History

By: Derek Greser 11/15/08

This past Sunday at WWE Armageddon 2008, history was made. In a shocking conclusion to the event, Jeff Hardy captured the WWE Championship. This would mark the first time that the high-flying Superstar would capture what is considered to be crown jewel of the sports entertainment business. Any fan of the WWE and/or Jeff Hardy can tell you this has been a long time coming. The event emanated from HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY. The event marked the 2nd ever Pay-Per-View event in the city and venue's history, as well as its first major title change.

29-Year-Old Tom Griffith attended the event, and had front-row seats. Tom has been a 20-year tenaciously loyal fan of the WWE. I know Tom personally and I can say that without question, the WWE is one of the biggest passions in his life. Tom has attended over 25 live events in Buffalo, Toronto, Philadelphia and Rochester. He has purchased countless WWE DVD's and box-sets (many on their release date), video games, memorabilia, clothing, and roughly $7000 dollars on pay-per-view events.

Unfortunately for Tom, he was not able to witness history. Prior to the main event, Armageddon featured a mid-card bout between Batista and Randy Orton. Tom, an avid fan of Randy lead his friends in a raucous chorus of boos Batista's entrance. They even dared to direct a naughty hand gesture (The same that mega-star Stone Cold Steve Austin used on television for years) at the 300 plus lb. powerhouse dubbed "The Animal". Batista himself made eye contact with Tom and his friends, and got right in their face before ascending the ring apron. Due to the quality of Tom's seats, this was clearly visible to fans at home as well as in the arena.

Tom then received a signal from one of the cameramen working outside the ring. This WWE employee made the "slit the throat" gesture at Tom which universally means "cut it out". Tom nodded, and decided that he had expressed himself enough. Minutes later, approximately 8 imposing looking men dressed in gray suits asked if they could speak with Tom in the aisle. Tom obliged and was then walked out of the arena, concluding in the gray suits tearing his ticket up in front of him. The explanation Tom was given was "The person renting this building tonight has requested you be removed from it". Tom spent the rest of the event outside in the freezing rain waiting for his friends who were still inside to drive him home.

In the past, WWE has encouraged their fans to express themselves. Vince McMahon has encouraged fans to bring signs to their support, or anti-support of his performers. This leads to the question; why was Tom removed? He was not involved in an altercation with anyone performing at or attending the event. He was not publically intoxicated. The only possible reason Tom was removed is that the powers-that-be at WWE wanted to protect the image of their Superstar Batista, who is presented as a fan-favorite.

The right thing to do here is to refund Tom's ticket price. In the interest of fairness, this should be the very minimum. The best case scenario is to give Tom priority seating at the next WWE event at HSBC to make up for this obvious mistreatment of a great patron and fan. This article will be sent to World Wrestling Entertainment as well as HSBC Arena and Tickets.com. The ball is now the court of these companies. Will any of them step up to right this wrong?

I am asking for the support of the Pro-Wrestling community to please let Tom's story be heard. Let's protect the right to express ourselves as fans, and paying customers.

- Derek Greser

While I agree you paid to see a show, and encouraged to boo/cheer whoever you want, you're also under the rules of a 'family friendly' entertainment show. The fact that he wants priority seating at the next show is ridiculous.

I also found it funny that the guy's friends stayed for the rest of the show.

Re: Hardy's title win...

Since NOBODY really believed he was going to win the title having held off so long, the "money is in the chase" rule didn't apply.

Now that he's actually won the thing, have Edge screw him out of the title at the Rumble. Fans will then be clamouring for him to win it back... Jeff can chase the title up to Wrestlemania, and maybe draw some big bucks.

That's how I would do it, anyway.

Re: Hardy's title win...

Since NOBODY really believed he was going to win the title having held off so long, the "money is in the chase" rule didn't apply.

Have you been watching WWE the past x number of months? They clearly had been building him up to get the belt eventually. It doesn't matter if we believed it was going to happen at the ppv or not. In fact, dare I say its better than we didn't believe it, the unpredictability factor went up a bit because of that supposed "fact" according to you.

And for what it's worth, I definately had a feeling he was getting the belt at the ppv. I even commented on it early in the show in this thread. Just seemed to be building to this since he came so close so many times. And it was a triple threat, which set up an easy out for HHH. In fact, that was pretty much the only reason why I ordered it.

Khali's new theme song was great, and the two title matches were pretty solid. I'd give this show an easy thumbs up and advise everyone who hasn't seen it to check it out, even if they dislike Cena and Jeffrey a lot like I do. That Cena/Jericho match was really good.