TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dorianb

Potential WWE "Big Surprises"

Sounds obvious but the best surprises are the ones nobody could predict. Who could guess a guy Cornette slaps around in developmental would win the Intercontinental title in front of his "home country fans" then turn into one of the most entertaining talents in the organization?

You mean Santino Marella right? A cross promotion angle would really hep boost ratings and would surprise, though the way WWE acts as if there is no competition points against that. If Sting went to the E I would mark though.

WWE is the #1 wrestling promotion on the planet. Unlike 1997, they don't need to cross-promote with an indy fed to win a Monday night quarter-hour. There's WWE, then there's everything else. WWE doesn't need to dirty its hands with indy wrestling.

The ECW revival was close enough (bringing in the non-glamorous likes of Sabu, Balls Mahoney, The Sandman, etc.).

WWE vs. UFC

I know, but that would be surprising.

LESNAR VS. ????

It would make a ton of money imo. I remember them doing that Lion Den's match with Owen and Shamrock at SummerSlam 98.

Of course, the outcome may be pitiful like the Brawl for it all(which I liked because it was something off the wall).

IMO, this is the closest thing they have to the days of people having dream bouts of the likes of Inoki vs. Ali in the 70's or Tyson vs. Hogan in the 80's. Boxing's heavyweight division is more boring and stagnant than the wwe's.

But it would never ever happen, and UFC fans would shit all over it. Too many logistical nightmares.

A cross promotion angle would really hep boost ratings and would surprise, though the way WWE acts as if there is no competition points against that.

Explain this idea further. How would WWE working with any promotion boost ratings? There's only one other promotion that has TV and PPV, and there'd be no incentive for WWE to work with them.

Just because it's a "surprise" doesn't make it a good idea.

And to the earlier point of Dreamer being built up...I can see it. He got a hell of a reaction when he beat Shelton Benjamin in a dark match before the recent Slammy Raw.

Then again, that show was in Philly...

Dreamer winning the Rumble might seem like a nice visual, but it's such a stupid idea since Dreamer's a jobber and ECW's a third rate brand. People like Tommy Dreamer, but not in the let's shoot him to the moon kind of way.

But it would never ever happen, and UFC fans would shit all over it. Too many logistical nightmares.

A cross promotion angle would really hep boost ratings and would surprise, though the way WWE acts as if there is no competition points against that.

Explain this idea further. How would WWE working with any promotion boost ratings? There's only one other promotion that has TV and PPV, and there'd be no incentive for WWE to work with them.

Just because it's a "surprise" doesn't make it a good idea.

And to the earlier point of Dreamer being built up...I can see it. He got a hell of a reaction when he beat Shelton Benjamin in a dark match before the recent Slammy Raw.

Then again, that show was in Philly...

Dreamer winning the Rumble might seem like a nice visual, but it's such a stupid idea since Dreamer's a jobber and ECW's a third rate brand. People like Tommy Dreamer, but not in the let's shoot him to the moon kind of way.

5-7 years ago, Dreamer winning the Rumble could have been a really intriguing angle.He still had a good sized base of fans who probably would have gotten solidly behind the underdog in his pursuit of the Wrestlemania title match while Bischoff or whomever schemed to take it away from him because he wasn't a "main eventer". And it really would have given the Rumble a shakeup and removed a bit of the predictibility factor since every year, you know there are only a handful , at most, of realistic people ever in the Rumble that are actually going to win it.

It still could be done but not with Dreamer at this stage. At least, I don't think it could.

I'm not sure WWE and UFC will ever work together again. For someone reason I think Vince feels burned by Dana, he plugged the UFC pretty heavily throughout 96/97, and took Severn and Shamrock in return. While that might have been a nice exchange, no doubt Vince feels he made the UFC what it is today by giving them 'time' on his product.

Now the UFC is hotter then wrestling and wants nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure WWE and UFC will ever work together again. For someone reason I think Vince feels burned by Dana, he plugged the UFC pretty heavily throughout 96/97, and took Severn and Shamrock in return. While that might have been a nice exchange, no doubt Vince feels he made the UFC what it is today by giving them 'time' on his product.

Dana White wasn't the owner of UFC then, and the UFC of today has nothing to do with the UFC of the mid-90s.

Vince did allow Spike to air The Ultimate Fighter, which did help UFC reach its current popularity.

Well, now that Vince is going for this PG13 demographic, Sting might be more inclined to sign on. Wasn't his gripe always that WWE was too adult/"raunchy" ?

I'm wondering how Sting feels about some of the content TNA puts out as far as language and things like that. TNA seems raunchier than the WWE these days.

The above is true. TNA doesn't make me feel so much like a 5 year old as WWE does. But their commentary kinda makes me feel just as retarded. In regards to a cross-promotion agnle, a lot of indy fans etc would probably mark to the idea that WWe acknowledges them, hence boosting ratings, even if only by a little bit. It's more of something that would definitely make me tune in. Andsomething that surprises the audience generally gets viewers ala Punk's title win.

Dana White wasn't the owner of UFC then, and the UFC of today has nothing to do with the UFC of the mid-90s.

Vince did allow Spike to air The Ultimate Fighter, which did help UFC reach its current popularity.

I thought they also mentioned Brock and the UFC on WWE.com prior to his debut there.

I thought they also mentioned Brock and the UFC on WWE.com prior to his debut there.

These things are some of the problems in ever seeing UFC and wwe working together.

Then again who thought we would see wwe stars on wcw's nitro?

Not the same thing I know being different type of products, but it's why it is in the dream scenario

Everyone knows WWE is scripted. If UFC worked with them, then everyone would question whether UFC is a work or not.

Remember how people thought the XFL would be worked?

The MCMGs responding to an open challenge for the Tag Titles would be possibly the best thing in wrestling ever, as long as they give Shelley a mic. It'd be the tag team equivalent of Jericho's WWF debut.

Of course, they'd look tiny, but hey.