TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2009 World Baseball Classic

Final WBC rosters were set today so might as well get this thread up for the tournament that begins next week. Ya it's still hard to take it all that seriously but it's the closest thing to real competitive baseball we have until April 5th. All games will be televised live on either ESPN, ESPN2, or MLB Network.

And I'll just predict now that the U.S. blows it in pool play again.

Full Schedule

Pool A - Tokyo

China

Notable Players: None

Chinese Taipei

Japan

Notable Players: Ichiro Suzuki, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Kosuke Fukudome

Korea

Notable Players: Shin-Soo Choo

Pool B - Mexico City

Australia

Cuba

Mexico

Notable Players: Adrian Gonzalez, Joakim Soria, Oliver Perez

South Africa

Pool C - Toronto

Canada

Notable Players: Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Russell Martin

Italy

Notable Players: Frank Catalanotto

United States

Notable Players: Jake Peavy, Dustin Pedroia, David Wright

Venezuela

Notable Players: Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Zambrano, Francisco Rodriguez

Pool D - San Juan

Domincan Republic

Notable Players: Alex Rodriguez, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez

Netherlands

Panama

Notable Players: Carlos Lee, Manny Corpas

Puerto Rico

Notable Players: Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado, Javier Vazquez

Ugh, an article came out in cincy today about how the Dominican team is going to use Edinson Volquez and Cueto as two of their top three starters. Hopefully they lose in the first round. Nothing like having your potential number 2 and 3 starters miss a potential freaking month of spring training. I hate the WBC, what horrible idea, and what a horrible time to do it.

Despite all the problems surrounding this event it was great fun to watch the first time around. I'm really looking forward to this, although I'm still baffled as to why Italy, Australia, South Africa and the Netherlands even bother.

Guest Czech please!

The Selig Baseball Classic is terrible. I hope they never do it again. How can you declare anyone to be the best at anything when all the best players are smartly opting out and the pitchers are on strict allocations? It's a folly. Genius is absolutely right to be concerned with Edinson and Cueto. Remember all those dead arms in 2006? They're going to be at less than full strength before ol' Dusty even gets his hands on 'em!

I've noticed around the Internet that a lot of Canadians take this seriously. Figures.

Think of the WBC as their spring training.

I'd just rather Volquez and Cueto stay under the watchful eye of one Dusty Baker. Nothing could go wrong with Dusty leading the way. He played with Hank, dude.

I've noticed around the Internet that a lot of Canadians take this seriously. Figures.

Ha. I wouldn't say I'm taking it seriously, though.

Despite all the problems surrounding this event it was great fun to watch the first time around. I'm really looking forward to this, although I'm still baffled as to why Italy, Australia, South Africa and the Netherlands even bother.

I'd look out for South Africa. Not this time around, but maybe in the next WBC. Baseball has been exploding over there in recent years and will probably only continue if one of their players crack the majors at some point. I think right now they only have 6 or 7 guys in minor league systems over here though. The Netherlands and Italy have pretty highly regarded professional leagues, but I don't see them being competitive. I don't know what Australia has going for them. The organizers probably just wanted it to look like the game covered more of the globe than it actually does and there weren't a ton of options where people would at least know how to play.

South Africa has a 17 year old pitcher on their roster by the name of Dylan Lindsay who the Royals signed a couple of months ago. I'm interested in getting a chance to see him pitch.

I love watching live baseball of any kind. I think the hand-wringing of fans regarding their own players is overblown. You can get hurt in ANY game. Why sweat these ones moreso than any other?

Guest Vitamin X

Agreed with al, and this is my only chance to get to cheer Cuba on as the ragtag team of amateur commies taking on the millionaire ballplayers from the Major Leagues. Hopefully they'll avenge the loss to Japan and they should dominate Pool B as well.

Guest Czech please!
I love watching live baseball of any kind. I think the hand-wringing of fans regarding their own players is overblown. You can get hurt in ANY game. Why sweat these ones moreso than any other?

Because these games don't matter, and they're compromising their spring training for this. I love live baseball too. That's why I watch it nearly every day for half the year. I don't need this thing, though. As for the hand-wringing from fans, what about the same hand-wringing from the players themselves and their bosses regarding this whole thing? You know, the ones who have opted out of this farce or have strongly recommended that their players worry about their jobs first? The Rays held Kazmir and Balfour out of this. Smart move.

What offends my baseball sensibilities most of all is this half-baked notion that this declares a "real world champion." Haha, no it doesn't. This is a handful of major leaguers with misplaced priorities putzing around in spring training against the Nippon Ham Fighters. The real world championship will always be decided in the World Series, because it takes the best teams from the leagues with the best talent in the world. I'm not saying that there isn't legitimate baseball talent in Japan and Cuba, but the best of the best play here.

Guest Vitamin X

Not to be too much of a homer/nationalist here, but I really think a lot of Cuban teams could've beat a good chunk of WS champions in the past, judging by how dominant they usually romp through international competition. Obviously it's a different animal altogether, but it's a bit presumptious to just say that the best of the best play here. If that were true, we wouldn't have to import so much talent from around the globe to stock up our major leagues, much like the NBA is becoming (although Americans are still clearly king in that sport).

This might sound a little crazy and far-fetched but why couldn't they have the World Baseball Classic sometime in December/January in a domed stadium somewhere?

I know theoretically guys will play harder in the WBC, but they could just as easily get hurt in a spring training game. I also think people on this board are underestimating the popularity of the event. Maybe it hasn't caught on that much in the US yet, but world wide, my understanding is that people actually care about it.

Some interesting potential comebacks in this thing, too. Corey Koskie is going to be play for team Canada. For those who don't remember, he's been out of baseball for almost three years since suffering a freak concussion during a routine play while with the Brewers.

Guest Czech please!
Obviously it's a different animal altogether, but it's a bit presumptious to just say that the best of the best play here. If that were true, we wouldn't have to import so much talent from around the globe to stock up our major leagues, much like the NBA is becoming (although Americans are still clearly king in that sport).

No, I meant that the best players from around the world come to the major leagues (and now the NBA as well) because that's the highest level of competition in the world. The Japanese leagues aren't on par with ours, nor are Cuba's. I think the mistake many people are making is comparing this with soccer, where you have legitimate talent all throughout the Premiership and the Bundesliga and here and there and everywhere, and then the World Cup on top of that. Baseball hasn't evolved along the same lines as soccer; while it's very much an international game w/r/t the talent base, the talent distribution isn't as international. I hope that relations with Cuba can start to normalize in the next four years so that we can see more of their top players come to the bigs. Alexei Ramirez was a romp to watch last summer. Other than Cuba, though, I don't think there's much that we're not seeing for six months.

One alternative to jeopardizing major leaguers might be to use college players (more in the spirit of amateur world competition anyway), or recently retired major leaguers who feel like screwing around in batting practice again. I bet players like, say, Ryan Klesko, J.T. Snow, Kenny Lofton, guys like that could still play the game at a high enough level to get by for something like this. As for Italy fielding a team, Patrick Reusse from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune had a good analysis of that. "Nick Punto is playing for Italy. Nick's never even been to Italy. What the hell is this."

Maybe it hasn't caught on that much in the US yet, but world wide, my understanding is that people actually care about it.

Well if they care about it, they're idiots, or they have nothing else to care about. The reason everyone rallied behind the 1992 Dream Team was that it was all of our guys that we watched every week, steamrolling everybody else. I mean, what was the international presence in the NBA at that time, relative to today? Detlef Schrempf? Our favorite players from our favorite teams come from any number of countries. My favorite players on the Cubs are from the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Why am I compelled to root for Team USA in this?

You don't have to. You can root for whoever the hell you want.

To clarify the Punto on Italy thing, I believe the rule is that if at least one of your grandparents was from that country, you can play for them. Yeah, it's stupid, but I think it's basically a way to balance the talent out a bit.

I guess my feeling would be this thing would offend US fans less if it was promoted as more of an international Goodwill Games type thing for baseball, and not as a serious competition.

Guest Czech please!
Yeah, it's stupid, but I think it's basically a way to balance the talent out a bit.

Don't you think it's indicative of how contrived this whole thing is, if Bud has to bend the rules to invent these national teams that wouldn't exist otherwise? "Hey, your last name ends in a vowel. That's Italian enough for me!"

Here's a real cookie from noted Selig nuthugger Phil Rogers in the Trib:

Instead of supporting the sport that has provided them with a handsome living and celebrity . . . they will put on blinders and worry about delivering for the team that pays them.

THOSE BASTARDS.

I specifically centred my two allocated days off next week around the NHl trade deadline. I regret doing so, as I'd kinda like to go to this, even though, like Treble, I'm not taking it that seriously.

Quite frankly, I should be more like Treble in most aspects.

Guest Czech please!

Was it Trebs that pointed out how CBC/TSN/whoever's baseball coverage prefaces every Canadian player's name with "Canadian," e.g. Canadian Jason Bay facing off against Canadian Rich Harden, essentially making it just like this board? This is why I said it doesn't surprise me that Canadians are taking this more seriously than we are. Their de facto national team is doomed to mediocrity, whereas their real national team might actually be pretty good. Canada's contributions to baseball are overlooked: Ferguson Jenkins, Larry Walker, pinwheel caps. Paul Molitor just seemed Canadian.

For those who are curious about who to watch for on the Japan roster... Note: 2008 Stats from official Nippon Site (Translated to English)

The Pitchers

- Toshiya Suiguchi: 10-8 with a 2.66 ERA and 213 K in 196.0 IP

- Tetsuya Utsumi: 12-7 with a 2.73 ERA and 154 K in 184.1 IP

- Kyuki Fujikawa: 8-1 with a 0.67 ERA and 90 K in 67.2 IP

- Satoshi Komatsu: 15-3 with a 2.51 ERA and 151 K in 172.1 IP

- Hikashi Iwasuma: 21-4 with a 1.87 ERA and 159 K in 201.1 IP

- Yu Darvish: 16-4 with a 1.88 ERA and 208 K in 200.2 IP

The Hitters

- Shuichi Murata: Hit .323/.397/.665 (1.062) with 46 HR

- Hiroyuki Nakajima: Hit .331/.410/.527 (0.937) with 21 HR and had 55 BB vs. 96 K

- Michihiro Ogasawa: Hit .310/.381/.573 (0.954) with 36 HR

- Seiichi Uchikawa: Hit .378/.416/.540 (0.956) with 14 HR

Was it Trebs that pointed out how CBC/TSN/whoever's baseball coverage prefaces every Canadian player's name with "Canadian," e.g. Canadian Jason Bay facing off against Canadian Rich Harden, essentially making it just like this board? This is why I said it doesn't surprise me that Canadians are taking this more seriously than we are. Their de facto national team is doomed to mediocrity, whereas their real national team might actually be pretty good. Canada's contributions to baseball are overlooked: Ferguson Jenkins, Larry Walker, pinwheel caps. Paul Molitor just seemed Canadian.

I think there are a lot of delusional people, based on beating the US last time, that think Canada has a chance. They have some really good hitters, but the pitchers they have coming are shit. I'll be shocked if they beat anyone besides Italy in the first round.

I also wonder how much of A-Rod's decision to play for the Dominicans over the Americans this time around was based on the fact that the US team would have to play in Toronto as opposed to San Juan, where I think the reaction to him would be a lot warmer.

They're dropping like flies from the American team as Grady Sizemore, Brad Hawpe, and Joe Nathan have all pulled out plus Brian Fuentes will miss the first round of pool play due to "family issues." Shane Victorino was already added to replace Sizemore but no word on other replacements.

Guest Czech please!

Meanwhile, Carlos Marmol pulled out and then came back in. That son of a bitch. Fuck him. Like he has abuse points to spare.

Some interesting potential comebacks in this thing, too. Corey Koskie is going to be play for team Canada. For those who don't remember, he's been out of baseball for almost three years since suffering a freak concussion during a routine play while with the Brewers.

Oh my god.

I just realized Corey Hart and Corey Koskie aren't the same person.

They're dropping like flies from the American team as Grady Sizemore, Brad Hawpe, and Joe Nathan have all pulled out plus Brian Fuentes will miss the first round of pool play due to "family issues." Shane Victorino was already added to replace Sizemore but no word on other replacements.

BJ Ryan also dropped out, but all the replacements have now been named. Fuentues is being replaced by John Grabow for the first round, then they'll reassess after that. Grabow may stay with the team or may go back to Pirates camp. Adam Dunn took the Hawpe spot. Joel Hanrahan and Heath Bell take the two closer spots.