TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Anakin/Mace is a fight I figured we'd see in this next movie. I mean hell Mace obviously has to be whacked somewhere in the film I would assume, and he's too hardcore to go down to some guards or whatever.

For whatever reason I never even thought of the two Luke/Vader duels as...well, duels. I thought of that more as plot being developed while two guys were fighting. On that basis it's the best stuff in the series, but I think the Dooku/Yoda/Obi Wan/Anakin fight is the best pure fight. It also made everyone in the theater I was in mark out like bitches. I mean did anyone exactly mark out for the first Luke/Vader fight? I was more stunned by that one than anything.

It's like comparing the story driven Macho/Warrior WM 7 match to a Rey/Eddie thriller.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi/Anakin Skywalker V. Darth Tyranus-Handicap match

-Anakin Skywalker V. Darth Tyranus II

-Mace Windu and his Jedi stable V. Emperor Palpatine

-Mace Windu V. Anakin Skywalker

-Yoda V. Emperor Palpatine

-Obi-Wan Kenobi V. General Grevious

-MAIN EVENT: Obi-Wan Kenobi V. Anakin Skywalker

Is Windu/Anakin confirmed?

I didnt think Anakin was going to have three duels in one movie.

There is no actual Anakin/Windu match. Its actually the ending to Windu vs. Palpatine handi-cap match, with Anakin doing a run-in heel turn.

Luke Skywalker V. Darth Vader-Cloud City-*****. Probably the best match of the entire series.

I disagree, as it was a total carry-job by Vader. Luke was still pretty green, and they made the right move not letting him go over yet. Besides, Vader became totally lazy after his heel turn/gimmick change, and just did a lot of hardcore garbage spots. He ended it with a good promo, though.

the Dooku/Yoda/Obi Wan/Anakin fight is the best pure fight.

**cough**spotfest**cough**

-Obi-Wan Kenobi/Anakin Skywalker V. Darth Tyranus-Handicap match

-Anakin Skywalker V. Darth Tyranus II

-Mace Windu and his Jedi stable V. Emperor Palpatine

-Mace Windu V. Anakin Skywalker

-Yoda V. Emperor Palpatine

-Obi-Wan Kenobi V. General Grevious

-MAIN EVENT: Obi-Wan Kenobi V. Anakin Skywalker

Is Windu/Anakin confirmed?

No, RJ's right.

We get Palpatine vs. some Jedi, Mace being one of them, and then towards the end of the fight, when it's only Mace vs. Palpatine (the others are dead), Anakin turns heel and, I think, cuts off Mace's arm. It's not even really a fight.

And while I'm at it, based upon what I've seen of the adaptations.....if the adaptions are correct, than

don't get too excited for any Obi-Wan / Grievous fight, cause it seems to last all of maybe five minutes, at THAT. Which would make this film much like the Phantom Menace, in which the coolest villain (there - Maul, here - Grievous) gets maybe 10 minutes total movie time before they're killed off.

Oh, and fuck George Lucas.

Guest LooneyTune
the Dooku/Yoda/Obi Wan/Anakin fight is the best pure fight.

**cough**spotfest**cough**

Yeah, big deal Anakin used TWO lightsabers, or that Yoda danced around like a black man on PCP, the fight had no story to it. It's a bunch of nothing thrown together to make the fans pop. Totally overrated.

ESB duel. It had a feel to it that made it seem REAL. The prequel duels look too choreographed. The ESB duel told a story, too. I will never change my mind about it. I love that duel.

I agree a lot with that. There isn't as much flash, but the spots are better (Vader pulling out the "I'm gonna fuck you up by tossing shit at you is still one of the most bad mother-fucker scenes I've ever watched) and the story is so much deeper and emotional. They mean so much more than eye candy, which some of the fight-scenes in the prequels feel like. All the lightsaber fights in the originals feel like they mean something more than just an action scene. Yoda/Dooku, the first quick snippet between Qui-Gon and Maul in TPM, and maybe even Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon in TPM because either the villians aren't built up enough, or the reason why they are fighting just seems transparent at times. When Obi-Wan and Vader fight, it means something, even if it isn't the fanciest. The subtext behind the fighting means more to me than the fighting itself.

That said, I agree with most of Kotzen's ratings, perhaps though a higher one on the Obi/Vader fight because it was what started it all and it had some excellent story behind it.

If anyone gets an E-C-DUB chant going during any of the duels, they better have a tape recorder on them to share the awesomeness with the smart marks.

That said, I agree with most of Kotzen's ratings, perhaps though a higher one on the Obi/Vader fight because it was what started it all and it had some excellent story behind it.

I REALLY want to give it a higher ranking, but as in wrestling, you need to have a really crazy payoff to such a long angle. I mean, it wasn't really meant at the time to have such insane buildup, but even then it already had a backstory. After Episode III, the ANH duel will either be put higher or lower. My guess is higher because that Episode III duel is going to be way too long and overblown to be good. Seriously.

Oh, and I'm really going to try and get an ECW chant going, if I remember. I might be too hyped up watching it to remember.

You have Anakin, and Qui Gon, and Obi Wan...and Luke? Why is his name so, normal?

I'm sure that Jocasta Nu or one of the Lucasfilm people on starwars.com have got a good answer for that. Because we know Lucas won't have one.

That being said, I really don't care much either way. I'm just hoping for a prequel movie that delivers...

Here's a question hopefully someone can answer, it's something I never really understood. Sort of kinda pertains to the thread.

You have Anakin, and Qui Gon, and Obi Wan...and Luke? Why is his name so, normal?

Two other possible reasons:

1) The character was the main character of a movie made in the 1970s (before sci-fi movies took off), so weird names might have been frowned upon. Hell, even Obi-Wan's gotta call himself "Ben" in that movie.

2) He was named by his Mom, and if my mom's any indication, woman pick lame baby names.

I don't think anyone understands what I mean. When I say Dooku/Yoda/Anakin/Obi Wan is the best fight of the series, I mean it as a stand alone fight. I never exactly thought of the Empire and Jedi Luke/Vader battles in those terms. That always seem like the actual story of the movie, rather than a duel. As in Luke and Vader fight a while, Emperor talks shit, they fight more, come on and turn to the dark side, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks Return of the Jedi is underrated? The Ewoks get hated on and thus people don't get what a gloriously satisfying end to the series it is.

I'm still not sure I understand.

Has anyone metioned the Jedi Temple Battle Royal? That thing's gonna get Anakin some "He's hardcore!" chants.

cabbage is refering to the actual duals as opposed to the storylines that surround them...you gotta remember though, cabbage, stroy telling is half of a wrestling match, that's why the Luke/Vader duels will always be rated higher...

I'd actually argue that there was build-up to the Yoda/Dooka fight, sicne everyone had been clamouring to see what Yoda could do since the Empire training sequences.

Regardless, I strongly dislike Yoda/Dooku because it was just a couple of random spots, and then ended with a count-out finish.

Lucas certainly isn't booking the babyfaces strong. It always seems like they have to team up to beat the heels.

They're fortunate that there would still be a bit of anticipation to see the highest ranked Jedi Master fight someone even if it was viewed in order instead of OT-PT. Still, that scene wouldn't get people as hype if these had come out first.

I'd just like to add that, though I will be buying a ticket for this film, part of me really, really loathes myself for doing so.

A rather large part, actually.

Guest Fook
Me too. This folder should just be renamed "Fanboyism" since that's what 80% of the threads amount to anyway.

I support changing the name of this folder to "Fanboyism and threads about how the Simpsons sucks now"

Oh please, we're nowhere near as bad as the Whedon supermarks and we talk about something that the majority of the population has a passing knowledge of.

I prefer to think of this place as somewhere where all nerds can live together in peace and harmony.