TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BX

So, what's your job?

I think this might be an interesting topic. What do you people do in real life, assuming you have jobs?

I'll start.

I work at the State Theater in Falls Church, VA. It's a music venue minutes from D.C. I'm something of the venue bitch, basically doing whatever I'm told. I might be working on the lights soon, however. I'm also a member of the street team.

And uh, I do promo work for a company in Manhattan. I basically get paid to put up posters in D.C.

Guest Vitamin X

I work at Portland State University, which is also where I attend school. I do video and graphic design work, generally helping out graduate students, faculty, and staff with that sort of thing. I'm mostly focused on my education at the moment, majoring in Community Development and Communication, minoring in Journalism and Film. I'm graduating sometime next year, but I'll probably go into a graduate program by then, most likely urban planning or something similar. I figured out a while back going to school for film is by and large pointless; my school does mostly Film Studies and I need to learn production, so since I've got the journalism thing covered I just plan on doing documentaries and things of that nature for a while.

Oh, I also work independently as a video editor.

I work at Disneyland... I went from a potential manager of a security team, got fucked when the guy who I was replacing didn't wanna retire for a few more years, got moved to custodial... and well... I'm 5th manager there, which means I'm just a fucking janitor who makes more than most of the others.

If I didn't have a heart, I'd be doing what my brother and his wife do and foreclosing homes and doing auctions... but I couldn't stand going to see a family and taking away the "American Dream" from them.

I think I'll just go back to training people at LA Fitness. I can't stand doing this for a few more years just in hopes for someone higher up to retire, die, or leave.

I work in commercial real estate doing valuation and consulting assignments (which includes everything from market value appraisals to litigation to feasibility studies). I am employed by a mid-size firm and do work in California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

Up until a month ago, I was working as an Asst. Manager at one of the few Suncoasts that are still remaining. Right now, I'm going to school to be an architect. It'll be a few years before I can get an internship, but yeah, that's what I'm on the path for.

Guest Smues

"Senior Auditor" which with the turnover here doesn't take long to reach. I'm mainly an auditor for a small public accounting firm, but I also do some of that other accounting stuff as well (taxes, financial reconciliation, etc.) But mainly lots and lots of auditing, mostly of non-profits and governments.

Produce Monkey.

Technically I guess I'm the Produce 2nd which is merely a rank giving me more responsibilities at the same pay, although I do get first dibs on hours.

I work on computers (uploading files and programs, occasional repairs) at the library.

Apprentice Chef at an Oil Sands camp north of Fort McMurray. Currently we feed around 1200 a night, and growing. I am also a registered First Aider, member of Health and Safety at our camp and a Job Steward as well.

According to my clock-in card, my official title is "Large Generator Sub-Assembler." I work in a factory that makes generators for Caterpillar. My job, specifically, is to take generator poles after they've had copper wire wound around them, and get them ready to go in the oven, then get them ready for the assemblers after they get out 8 hours later. Factory jobs are the only way to get paid decently around here without some sort of specific skill, so that's what I'm doing while going to school.

Game Advisor at Gamestop.

Trying to find a second job around the area while hoping the store pulls in enough money to warrant getting another shift manager position so I can move up.

..god I wish I didn't get blackballed from Starbucks...

I was formerly what I referred to myself as a "wetback triple threat:" I was a landscaper, spinkler installer, and pool cleaner. After I decided I didn't want to spend the rest of my years doing hard, manual labor, I started working with my brother as a bouncer. I did that for a little while, and then took a simultaneous job as a food manager at Pretzelmaker (PM, REPRAZENT!). I've since left both jobs, and am currently drinking myself to death as I look for another dead-end job.[/sobstory]

< drunk

Yeah, I can make good money doing construction, but I just don't like it. I'll make it as an entertainer, I'm sure of that. I also plan to mooch money off of girls who are more successful than me. Current girl: massage therapist/college student.

Job #1

Local photo studio. I do it all- Senior pictures (my personal favorite), commercial photography, passports, sports teams, family portraits, everything. When I'm not doing that, I am producing packages and the like. I also do photo restoration with Photoshop. The only thing that I have yet to do is aerial photography.

Job #2

Library clerk. The easiest shit ever, since nobody in my town knows how to read, thus- no serious foot traffic. I sit behind a counter and do whatever I want. Adult services can be busy every once in a while, but when I work in Children's Services, things get really, really slow. I catch up on my reading during those shifts.

According to my clock-in card, my official title is "Large Generator Sub-Assembler." I work in a factory that makes generators for Caterpillar. My job, specifically, is to take generator poles after they've had copper wire wound around them, and get them ready to go in the oven, then get them ready for the assemblers after they get out 8 hours later. Factory jobs are the only way to get paid decently around here without some sort of specific skill, so that's what I'm doing while going to school.

Hey, I might have sold/rented a couple of the generators you helped build.

Hey, I might have sold/rented a couple of the generators you helped build.

Possibly. As far as I know, we're one of the three factories in North America that makes generators for Caterpillar. The others are in Mexico and Minnesota.

I work in commercial real estate doing valuation and consulting assignments (which includes everything from market value appraisals to litigation to feasibility studies). I am employed by a mid-size firm and do work in California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho.

This is what I do. But in New York.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Creative services (copywriting, graphic design, apparently directing some sort of mini-movie about a helicopter school) for a group of radio stations. I also do freelance graphic design stuff here and there.