Atlanta @ Portland, 10:00

New Orleans @ LA Lakers, 10:30 ESPN

Sat, Feb. 21

Philadelphia @ Miami, 3:30

San Antonio @ Washington, 8:00

Sacramento @ Dallas, 9:00

New Orleans @ Utah, 9:00 NBATV

Oklahoma City @ Golden State, 10:30

I'm shocked that Terry Porter got canned. Okay, maybe not shocked but what in the hell is going on in Phoenix?

What did the honestly expect with Steve Kerr running the show?? This seems to me another classic case of the GM letting the head coach take the fall for the GM's ineptitude.

Guest Vitamin X

As a fan of a Western Conference team, it amuses me to see the Suns go down in flames. No problem. The Blazers will be more than happy to take their spot, and we can actually beat the Spurs!

The Celtics are apparently sending Sam Cassell and cash to the Kings for a future 2nd rounder. Good haul for somebody who hasn't played a minute this season.

That's too bad for the Hornets. Nice, young team on the rise and they have to tear it apart for purely financial reasons.

OKC now has a nice core with Westbrook, Durant, Green and Chandler, with five first round picks and loads of cap room the next two offseasons. They just went from afterthought to potential contender by 2011.

Guest Vitamin X

2011? They've actually been turning it around really quick since their awful, awful start. If they played in the East, I'd say they make the playoffs next year, and if one of the big three Southwest squads suffer (I think the Northwest is still going to be too tough for them to win) they might be able to squeeze in next year.

Chandler is a tremendous pick-up for them. I know Oden has a boatload of pressure on him right now, and he's slowly but steadily improving, but I keep feeling a bit of regret over picking him over Durant right now.

OKC looks like its going to be a good team sooner than later. It just sucks that the Hornets seem to be breaking it up due to financial problems. I guess they're regretting Mo Peterson.

Guest Czech please!

Tyson Chandler has Chris Paul to thank for not looking worthless.

John Paxson wants to resign from his general manager post because of "health problems," but the horseshit owner won't accept his resignation because he loves Pax too much. Bear in mind that this is the same guy who wouldn't hire Doug Collins to clean up the mess because he loves Doug Collins too much, resulting in a coach who leaves Derrick Rose on the bench in a last-second game-winning shot situation. Nebulous "health problems" were a sufficient excuse to fire Jerry Krause's slovenly ass, so why doesn't it work for a general manager with one playoff series win to his name? What's the point of even trading for Amare Stoudemire if you still have a coach who doesn't have a fucking clue how to do his job, a general manager who keeps frittering away draft picks on this romanticized notion of "character guys" who go to shit when they reach the NBA, and an owner who won't enable his front office to get the team closer to a championship?

In a related "the Chicago Bulls are a ridiculous organization that we're almost better off without" story, the team had a ceremony for longtime Bulls announcer/coach/bookkeeper/builder Red Kerr, who is dying of prostate cancer, and played Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" featuring the lyric "I ain't gonna live forever" during his tribute, as he's sitting there in a folded-up hospital bed. It was really pretty morbid and uncomfortable.

The Cavaliers are making a hard push to acquire Antawn Jamison from the Wizards. They are offering Wally Z's expiring contract, but I'm not sure what else. It doesn't seem like they'd move any of their top 7 players. If they can do this it's a potential game-changer in the East.

This is one of my favorite weeks of the year. Non-stop ridiculous trade rumors right up to the deadline. I get absolutely nothing done in the office and hit refresh on realgm and hoopshype about every 5 minutes.

I've heard the Cavaliers offered the freaking house for Amare (a lot more than the rumored pu-pu platter that was making the rounds), but Phoenix wasn't biting. Sounds like Stoudemire is staying put, especially since they dumped Porter and are going to try the run-and-gun again. I'd rather see the Cavs get Marcus Camby anyway. When healthy, they can beat Boston and win the East with their roster as it is right now, but I just can't see them beating the Lakers in a seven-game series in the Finals. L.A. has too much strength and athleticism in the post. Cavs need somebody who can bang in the post with Bynum, Gasol and Odom. Camby is a solid defender/shot blocker who would fit their team philosophy.

I don't know why the Rockets would be looking to trade T-Mac for his cousin. Vince is being more productive this year, but you gotta think long term here. T-Mac's contract runs out in 2010 like everyone else, and he'll probably retire at that point. Just let the T-Mac experiment run its course, then in 2010 use all that money to re-sign Yao, evaluate the other FA options, and go from there.

The Pistons are looking like they'll be a .500 team by season's end. Nothing's clicked for them this season

As a Cavs fan, allow me to borrow a Vince McMahon phrase: "That warms the cockles of my heart."

Guest Czech please!
The Pistons are looking like they'll be a .500 team by season's end. Nothing's clicked for them this season

If they had kept Chauncey Billups, they wouldn't have been an elite team in the conference, but they would've at least been able to give it the old college try in the playoffs. Without Billups, they're just stuck in NBA purgatory. Elsewhere in NBA purgatory, Scott Skiles is really coaching the hell out of the Bucks. That's one really shitty team masquerading as a kinda shitty team thanks to one of the better coaches in the league. They'll only get massacred by the Cavaliers for their troubles, and Herb Kohl will probably fire Skiles as a result, but that's pretty amazing what he's been able to do.

If they had kept Chauncey Billups, they wouldn't have been an elite team in the conference, but they would've at least been able to give it the old college try in the playoffs. Without Billups, they're just stuck in NBA purgatory.

The Billups trade hurt, but the real problem has been fucking idiot Michael Curry. He has zero understanding of Xs and Os, is completely incapable of making in-game adjustments, and wouldn't know a consistent rotation if it bit him on the ass. They've been getting positively mauled in fourth quarters recently and the blame for that has to fall squarely on the shoulders of the coach. With Billups the team probably could have coasted to ~50 wins based on pure chemistry and familiarity, but they were never going to get far in the playoffs with Curry at the helm.

The team had to be blown up at some point; they had a good run, but their time had passed. The Iverson trade hasn't worked out as well in the short-term as I would have liked, but it does put them in a fairly good position to undertake a full-scale rebuilding. I just hope Dumars puts all that cap-space to good use.

it's hard to take Curry that serious as a head coach. He's not that long removed out of the league, and he was a completely average player on top of that...as a player how do you think this guy can lead you somewhere? What more does he know that you? I don't think that sounded as good as it did in my head...but it makes sense to me.

I didn't like the Chauncy trade. If you're a 50 win team then don't try and fix what isn't broke.

Guest Czech please!
it's hard to take Curry that serious as a head coach. He's not that long removed out of the league, and he was a completely average player on top of that...as a player how do you think this guy can lead you somewhere?

That's terrible reasoning, Youth N Asia. There's no causal relationship between performance in one aspect of the game and another. In fact, I'd contend that the very best players make terrible coaches, because they lack the ability to connect to players who aren't as good as they were and teach them how to do things that came so naturally to them. It's why Wayne Gretzky is not a top-flight hockey coach. How can he relate to players who will never do what he could? He's in another galaxy. He can't relate. Michael Jordan had more basketball talent than anyone in history and yet he can't judge anybody else's. A coach's playing career is about as germane to the discussion as his cooking skills.

Would you suggest that only the smartest people make the best teachers? A closer look at the math department at almost any public high school in the country will reveal exceptionally bright people who couldn't transfer their knowledge if you held them at gunpoint.

EDIT: that said, Michael Curry does appear to suck, though

I am convinced that Curry is a stopgap. There is no other reason why Dumars would bring in a coach with zero experience. I have no idea who they would replace him with, but I do think that Curry needs to be gone. What he is doing is obviously not working.

I honestly thought Iverson had learned his lesson, but you can't teach that old dog new tricks. He is a scorer, and that is it. He used to be able to get three steals a game, but he's not quite up to that level anymore. Its all right that he is gone after this season, because I have already checked out. When they are losing to the Bucks, I know that the team is checking out too. Rasheed should be traded, as well.