TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Just J

The OaO 2003-2004 NBA Season Thread!

Guest Just J

Well it's that time of the year again. This year looks to be one of the greates in years. We have several great teams and tons of guys who are playing for different teams. Not to mention James and Anthony.

Oh yeah, The Lakers also picked up a few guys in the off season. :D

One and Only SEASON thread, are you insane? If it were followed it would run for over 8 months and probably reach 1000 pages.

Guest Flyboy
One and Only SEASON thread, are you insane? If it were followed it would run for over 8 months and probably reach 1000 pages.

Reason 10,210,934,434,979,787,343,434,090 why Johnson is a complete idiot.

There is an easy way around the Laker love, fellas.

Just don't respond to it. Post about other things going on in the league. It's too bad this thread couldn't be the one and only NBA thread, minus the Lakers. Plus, if things go right, I might post a weekly NBA column for TSM and you guys can give me holy hell about my writing!!

Guest FrigidSoul
Well I will start by saying Kobe sucks. Shaq sucks. Karl sucks. GP sucks and the Lakers suck.

As a Celtics fan I second all of that

I've been praying that somebody just continuously makes it look like they're jumping to get a rebound and instead land hard on Shaq's big toe...I hate that big goofy bastard

Guest Just J

This is a thread for all talk about the season. If it runs 1000 pages so be it. Now if only we can get some posters who can have some intelligent discussion instead of idoits flaming me. If you have a problem with me take it to NHB and leave this thread for the NBA season.

As far as the Lakers go, it's not my fault that they'll be dominating everyone this season thus being the focal point of most of the discussion.

Well, dominating or not, the Lakers are going to be the focus of much of the NBA discussion this year. And that is one of the two main reasons this year is going to suck.

Between "Ohmigawd Lebron scored 30 points, he is the greatest", "Haha Lebron scored 5 points, told you he sucks", and every Laker game being flooded with "this team has issues" and "it will be interesting to see how his teammates and the fans react." I just summed up right there, about 80% of all NBA discussion this year.

Chris Webber is out til December and the Kings are already saying they are going to be the team flying under the radar. They traded away a lot of their bench, so I think its going to be another year of falling short for the Kings. I'm a Warriors fan so I'll say I hope to just be in contention for the 8th spot at least through November.

Unfortunately for the Warriors, they lost a ton of talent and got little in return. I liked Jamison. He was a good fit in Oakland. Now you get the potentially cancerous Nick Van Exel. You also lost Gilbert Arenas, one of the future stars of this league, to free agency. Your only hope is that Dunleavy steps up big and Troy Murphy continues to build on what he did last year.

The Kings are going to be hurting a bit through December. Their bench isn't as deep as the previous 2 years. Bibby has to step up or he's going to get skunked by the Sac faithful (me being one of them). Stojakovic, Jackson, and Miller should keep the Kings in games until Webber can come back.

First of all, I'd be a fool if I said that Malone and Payton aren't an improvement over Samaki Walker and Derek Fisher. And with Sac's early injury woes, they should be able to capture the division.

But, IMHO, San Antonio will once again be the champs when all is said and done. It's hard to replace a guy like Robinson. Rasho may not be able to guard Shaq, but I think he can make just as good a compliment to Timmay as David did. Their PG position, altough they acquired Anthony Carter from Miami, took a hit with Claxton leaving. But they got Mercer, who can't have a much worse season than he did with the Pacers last year, if that says anything. They also got Hedo Turkoglu, who I think makes up nicely for the loss of Stephen Jackson. Even with the acquisitions of Dallas, Sacramento, and Minnesota, I still think SA is the best team in the league.

Golden State will probably line up:

Dampier

Murphy(underrated, damn good player)

Dunlevey

Richardson

Van Exel

Pietries(what ever that rookie 2 guard name is...he has been good), Cliff Robinson, and Speedy Claxton backing them up.

They are going to be better than people think.

First of all, I'd be a fool if I said that Malone and Payton aren't an improvement over Samaki Walker and Derek Fisher. And with Sac's early injury woes, they should be able to capture the division.

But, IMHO, San Antonio will once again be the champs when all is said and done. It's hard to replace a guy like Robinson. Rasho may not be able to guard Shaq, but I think he can make just as good a compliment to Timmay as David did. Their PG position, altough they acquired Anthony Carter from Miami, took a hit with Claxton leaving. But they got Mercer, who can't have a much worse season than he did with the Pacers last year, if that says anything. They also got Hedo Turkoglu, who I think makes up nicely for the loss of Stephen Jackson. Even with the acquisitions of Dallas, Sacramento, and Minnesota, I still think SA is the best team in the league.

Walker is a better defender and fisher is a better shooter.

What you need when you have two guys that can get 30 a night is A: Rebounders B: Defenders C: Shooters.

In Payton and Malone, you only got Payton on Defense(something that Fisher does a aight job at).

They got worse.

How is Walker a better defender than Malone? Malone is a 3 time All NBA Defensive First Teamer. Walker could only dream of making a third team, All Defense.

I do think that there may be some chemistry problems at first with the Lakers, but if egos can get checked, they'll hit stride around January or February at the latest.

The thing I am most worried about is the star power. If you think the Lakers got away with things on defense the last 4 years, it's gonna get worse this year. They are going to get calls left and right. I started to see it in last night's game. With around 17 seconds left, the Clips were trying to inbound the ball and the refs called a push off foul on Jaric over Payton. It was the wussiest push call I've seen in awhile. Laker haters need to be most worried about the murder they are going to get away with on the defensive side of the ball.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

All I will say for now is...

I'd choose Carmelo Anthony over Lebron James any day of the fucking week.

It's going to be interesting to see how Dallas does. After picking up Jamison and Walker, they add more offense to an already offensive team... BUT!!!

Where's the improvement defensively?

Well, Richardson will only be out for 3 games so his loss won't be that pivotal however I'm fearing Murphy's foot injury as that could keep him out for a while if it continues to bother him

also what's with everybody bitching at Mistah J over this? How else could we do an NBA Thread? What would you guys have preferred, several threads titled OAO Week 1 NBA Thread, OAO Week 2 NBA Thread, etc.? Personally, I think it's great to have one thread designated to the NBA Season since it helps direct content and allow for coherent discussion without drifting off topic. Hell, the damn BTVS Season 7 Thread was great in keeping discussion relevant so really what's the big deal here? You can still make topics concerning trades, etc. but I think of this thread like the OAO Week "#" threads are for the NFL, a place to discuss the actual games.

Ooh, tonight on ESPN.

Preseason action before the regular season begins.

Spurs vs Rockets followed by Lakers vs Kings.

Although these are still preseason games and won't mean dick, the starters minutes will increase as the coaches start to tighten up the lineups.

The Celtics are looking pretty good tonight so far, 53% from the field in the 1st quarter! Nets only shot 25% but they are without Jason Kidd too. Raef and E-Will are both looking solid as is Banks at PG

also what's with everybody bitching at Mistah J over this? How else could we do an NBA Thread? What would you guys have preferred, several threads titled OAO Week 1 NBA Thread, OAO Week 2 NBA Thread, etc.? Personally, I think it's great to have one thread designated to the NBA Season since it helps direct content and allow for coherent discussion without drifting off topic. Hell, the damn BTVS Season 7 Thread was great in keeping discussion relevant so really what's the big deal here? You can still make topics concerning trades, etc. but I think of this thread like the OAO Week "#" threads are for the NFL, a place to discuss the actual games.

The one and only thread was created in order to avoid an event with high interest from completely dominating a folder. Its become greatly overused, IMO. The NBA season might generate a thread a day, on average. That's completely reasonable. The OaO thread should really be reserved for an event that might inspire 10-15 different topics at the same time.

Guest Flyboy
The OaO thread should really be reserved for an event that might inspire 10-15 different topics at the same time.

Like... oh... THE PLAYOFFS.

Guest Polish_Rifle

How about a OAO I HATE THE LAKERS AND KOBE IS A RAPIST (ALLEGEDLY) THREAD!

BTW, I hate to sound like a broken record, but the basketball gods are already smiling down at the Clips. Ray Allen will miss the first 2 games of the season due to an ankle injury. Chalk up 2 easy wins for the Clips. 41 more wins to go before we take our 8th spot in the Playoffs.

Plus half the posts would consist of Johnson and someone else arguing about the Lakers.

Yup they are overrated, just hope this will not be Polish CLIPPER FAN Rifle vs Johnson. If you have ever seen the NFL Today Show mock the Cardinal fan then you know what I mean.