TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 6/12 - 6/18

This week, Neifi Perez rats to the feds about his use of HGH and then the media apologizes to Barry Bonds realizing that there are no performance enhancing effects.

2 1/2 weeks of interleague starts on Friday as this year we go back to the West/West, Central/Central, East/East match-ups.

Instead of saying who's starting each game I'm posting the team leaders in hits by pitch for each team from 1986 so you can share them at the water cooler tommorrow.

MONDAY

Rockies at Nationals (Tim Wallach)

Devil Rays at Tigers (Chet Lemon)

White Sox (John Cangelosi) at Rangers (Don Slaught)

Orioles (Jim Traber) at Blue Jays (Jesse Barfield)

Brewers (Jim Ganter) at Reds (Buddy Bell)

Royals (Lonnie Smith) at Angels (Brian Downing)

TUESDAY

Cardinals (Tom Herr) at Pirates (Jim Morrison)

Rockies at Nationals

Braves (Ozzie Virgil) at Marlins

Mets (Gary Carter) at Phillies (Juan Samuel)

Devil Rays at Tigers

Indians (Tony Bernazard) at Yankees (Mike Pagliarulo)

Orioles at Blue Jays

Brewers at Reds

Astros (Glenn Davis) at Cubs (Ron Cey)

White Sox at Rangers

Red Sox (Don Baylor) at Twins (Kirby Puckett)

Giants (Chris Brown) at Diamondbacks

Dodgers (Bill Madlock) at Padres (Tim Flannery)

Royals at Angels

Mariners (Phil Bradley) at A's (Jose Canseco)

INTERLEAGUE

Tigers/Cubs

Yankees/Nationals

Orioles/Mets

Red Sox/Braves

Diamondbacks/Rangers

Indians/Brewers

Dodgers/A's

Twins/Pirates

Devil Rays/Phillies

White Sox/Reds

Royals/Astros

Padres/Angels

Giants/Mariners

Blue Jays/Marlins

OMG~!!!! You referenced Glenn Davis! He was one of my favs back in the 80s. He was great in '86, and he also briefly brought Curt Schilling to the 'Stros who was then traded to the Phillies for...believe it or not, Jason "Stoolpigeon" Grimsley.

Baseball Prospectus is reporting that Rich Harden is likely going to have Tommy John surgery. Yup that was the other shoe I was waiting to drop for him. If this is confirmed then they are going to have to at least attempt to re-sign Zito.

Guest StylesMark

Well Kotz, it's not THAT bad. Getting swept by the A's is not a good thing though.

And god help me if the Phillies beat the Yankees when they play. I live WAY too close to Philly to be hearing that shit.

Well Kotz, it's not THAT bad. Getting swept by the A's is not a good thing though.

And god help me if the Phillies beat the Yankees when they play. I live WAY too close to Philly to be hearing that shit.

Getting swept by the A's is bad but not nearly as bad as falling apart against the shitty Chicago team.

Griffey should come back to Seattle for interleague next year, right? Last year, the NL Central played the AL East...this year, they play the AL Central, I believe. Next season, they should hit the AL West and line up against Seattle.

Guest Smues

Cincy should have played in Seattle in 04 when the AL West played the NL Central for the 2nd time, but interleague scheduling never seems to work like you'd think it would. I doubt the league is intentionally keeping Griffey out of Seattle, although I do figure just by chance the year after he retires the Reds will play in Safeco.

Tigers pull it out against Tampa in the bottom of the 13th after tying the game with two runs in the bottom of the 9th. Granderson with an RBI single to win. Pretty cool.

Griffey should come back to Seattle for interleague next year, right? Last year, the NL Central played the AL East...this year, they play the AL Central, I believe. Next season, they should hit the AL West and line up against Seattle.

Can they schedule around Junior's bi-monthly injuries?

the tigers are actually good. about 2 years after i said they would be. but still. validation of sorts. i know its a measily victory over the devil rays, but coming back in the 9th inning in indicative of a good team.

It's also indicative of a team that couldn't put Tampa Bay away in the first eight innings. Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously pulling for the Tigers to win the Central, but I'm not 100% sold that they can keep it going for another three and a half months.

Glenn Davis. Man, it seemed like he was about 80% oh the Astros' homers and RBI back in the day.

Yeah he was traded to Baltimore for starting pitcher Pete Harnisch (man what a goofball, made Charlie Kerfeld look sane), Steve Finley (fast, but no bat outfielder) and pitcher Curt Schilling (headcase in the bad sense of the word). Not a bad trade, even though it left a huge hole in the lineup for about 3 years.

It's also indicative of a team that couldn't put Tampa Bay away in the first eight innings. Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously pulling for the Tigers to win the Central, but I'm not 100% sold that they can keep it going for another three and a half months.

scott kazmir is a great pitcher.

see, you're a glass half empty kida guy....

many teams can struggle in the first part of a game, the great ones need to finish. the tigers weakness is in the closer role. and maybe a bit in the batting order. but i think they cna sustain the pace that they are on.

If the Tigers can somehow foist Todd Jones onto some closer-starved team in the hunt (Atlanta, maybe?), I think they'll improve just by getting him off of the roster. Rodney is more than capable of closing out games for that team.

I started to make a post about how many bad moves the Tigers have made in the past couple of off-seasons, decided against it, then went and read they're interested in Jeromy Burnitz and here I am again.

Bad moves.... the Tigers haven't made any bad moves really the last few years. They went from being the worst team in a generation to being in contention halfway through the season. They aren't yet there, but they have put the pieces in place, gotten rid of some shit players, and fixed the farm system. Nothing they have done has screamed, bad move

They're only where they are because of the homegrown talent. Pudge has been okay, but not what people were expecting for the kind of bucks he got. Same goes for Ordonez. Signing Troy Percival was one of the stupidest moves made in the 2004 off-season and I think the Tigers front office and maybe six fans were expecting Todd Jones to be the guy they saw in 2005. If Kenny Rogers stays true to form, he'll experience a somewhat significant dropoff in the second half.

I don't think any of the free agent signings have pushed them over the top. It's just a matter of developing solid talent and the kids they had on the team in 2003 growing into very good players.

They have very good young developing starters like Bonderman, Maroth, and Verlander, and non of them has had to deal with any pressure since a) there hasn't been any to begin with and b) the Rogers signing added a veteran and a guy who could hold down the fort at the top of the rotation till one of those guys fully becomes a #1. I didn't like it for them at first, but it's worked out.

In all fairness, the deals that brought Bonderman, Polanco and Carlos Guillen have worked out very well for the Tigers. Also, don't forget that they picked up Chris Shelton in the Rule 5 draft for little more than the cost of an airplane ticket to fly him to Detroit. Their dips into free agency have been sketchy, but the rest of their transactions actually haven't been as destructive as you'd think.

You have to think bringing in veteran guys like Percival, Orodonez ( whom now healthy is having an All-Star caliber year), and Pudge ( a first ballot HOF catcher) helped in speeding up the development of the younger plays on the team. These are guys who know how to play the game the right way and I don't think that the Tigers would be in a position to contend for a post season berth without what these guys bring in the club house and in spring training and pre-game.

You can't put a dollar sign on VETERAN PRESENCE~!

Glenn Davis. Man, it seemed like he was about 80% oh the Astros' homers and RBI back in the day.

Yeah he was traded to Baltimore for starting pitcher Pete Harnisch (man what a goofball, made Charlie Kerfeld look sane), Steve Finley (fast, but no bat outfielder) and pitcher Curt Schilling (headcase in the bad sense of the word). Not a bad trade, even though it left a huge hole in the lineup for about 3 years.

Yikes, not a bad trade? Well okay the Astros kind of wasted what they got in the deal but Davis' production fell off drastically after being traded so it was a great deal pulled off by Houston, while one of the worst trades ever by the Orioles.

Rumors are going around that the Dodgers are interested in Alfonso Soriano. Why, I don't know. Power, I guess.

Can someone explain how Cincy can go on the road and sweep the 2 main teams in the NL Central BACK TO BACK and then come home and drop 4 in a row at home.

This team is confusing me a lot this year- TRADE LARUE FOR SOME BULLPEN HELP.