Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. I think the deal with making movies is... Oh sorry I thought this was the stunt man and Hollywood bump taking argument thread. They're similarly named.
  2. What the hell did any of this thread have to do with Impact?
  3. That's some awesome dyslexia (or something similar) there Scorby... Chris Harris of AMW, not Charlie Haas of WGTT.
  4. I honestly look forward to sarcastic comments about Impact's writing and PPV reviews than actual news. Also looking for my name in "Special Thanks". News tidbits can be hit or miss (because plans change 12 times a day) but multi-page stories that have to be thoroughly researched (like the Michael Hayes suspension) are great reads. There was recently a really interesting piece about 1908 and Gotch vs. Hackenschmidt that went into detail about wrestling's transition from legitimate to worked.
  5. http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3149992 http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3152506 Two awesome articles covering the best of the worst in print ads.
  6. Yeah, the idea of being able to read the Observer the Wednesday it was printed as opposed to the Wednesday 7 days later I get it in the mail sounds awesome. I'm just waiting for Meltz to send me whatever I need to log in. He also said Todd Martin's Raw recaps are moving too which, since F4W's website already had their own show recappers, I was a bit worried about how that was going to work. I never signed up for F4W just because I felt, even though they are different, it would be spending money on two subscriptions that were kind of the same. Now it's combined so hooray.
  7. DrVenkman PhD

    HDTV

    I bought a no name brand ("Digimate"? Who the hell are they?) 27" flatscreen HDTV on sale for $500 at Futureshop in 2006. At the time I just badly wanted to replace my loudly humming GE TV (which was originally my grandmother's and she couldn't hear the loud pitch) and figured I might as well make it an HDTV so I could be set for the future. It was only January of this year that I started watching HDTV, and for many months I was too dumb to watch TV shows in proper resolution (which seems to be a common problem with HDTV owners as I now admonish friends with units that do the same thing) because I didn't think it looked THAT stretched out until I could properly compare it. It was really good for widescreen DVDs though. I'm sure there are performance issues related to it being so cheap and from a brand I've never heard of, but it claims to do 1080p when I'm running the Xbox 360 even though I'm not using an HDMI cable (Cogeco cable here does not support HDMI for 1080p so all the TV I watch is in 720p). The only two issues I noticed early on - which seemed to have stopped now that I watch TV through an HD receiver and component cables - were: 1. Black was terrible. People with black hair / black clothes would leave brief ghosting images of their clothes and/or I would see odd pixels in it. I think some of the pixels / artifacting issues were due to the channel I was watching, though (Scream TV seems to have a not that great digital conversion for their broadcasts). 2. The corners of the screen would have a slight white light around them.
  8. This idea was batted around (since "Random Thoughts" was never supposed to be for news) but no one ever started it. Let's give it a go, ok? How about that WON/F4W merger? That's pretty exciting, maybe even exciting enough for it's own General thread... but maybe not. Ratings sure are down, aren't they? And hey, Michaels Hayes is back!
  9. Let's talk shop, or marketing campaigns designed to make us shop, as it were. I started on this in the old CTDWAT thread, but the problem there is that thread is old and should probably be locked and replaced with a "Random Thoughts" thread as per current TSM protocol. There's a pretty good series of ads on youtube in these 4 videos and I'm sure you can just about anything else on there too in individual form: Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=F7l-cYBydBg Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aTFP86ouDR8 Part 3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8d-ES_ge738 Part 4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RUWYNn8SWsc (Sorry embedded video fans, I just find they look... "off" somehow when viewed and they also make the thread too slow to load, but maybe that's just DSL talking). We don't seem to see a lot of attack ads these days. Consdiering how it turned out for Sega at the end of the 16 bit war, maybe that's for the best. Smues brought up in the original CTDWAT discussion that Sega blundered by showing terrible game footage in their "Haven't you seen the games?!' ad, and one of the memories about their anti-Nintendo ad campaign that I always remembered from when I was a kid was how Sega of America determined that the best game to use to show why Blast Processing rules and the SNES sucks was Mario Kart. Smooth move, guys. Maybe they should have done an add showing off the awesome power of Butterbean's Toughman Competition vs. Super Punch-Out while they were at it. That said, I don't think anyone who grew up in the 90s will forget the Sega yell campaign or being Welco'd Tothe Nextl evel. Or how about "Coffee? Tea? SEGA!" or ads like that? I also laugh everytime I see Joe Montana says "Does!" in the "Genesis Does" commercials. I also have a commercial on tape somewhere with Saddam Hussein saying "what the heck was that?" that amuses me. Any memorable print ad discussion would be great too. I remember either EGM or GamePro apologizing for an ad they published stating "Life's a Bitch" but I have no idea what game that was even for.
  10. I remember I really wanted to see The Headshrinkers squash Crush with a big top rope splash (because he was a jerk to Randy Savage) yet at the same time thought it would be neat if Crush and Yokozuna were tag champs. It was also kind of a weird symmetry that the two men who challenged for singles gold in 1993 were a tag team challenging for the tag belts one year later. I really do want to watch this show so I'll resort to busting out my degrading in quality VHS casette that recorded the PPV (and pre-show!) in 1994 if Cogeco doesn't get it together (they did put all the Shorties up today so that was good). I was hoping to make a new combined 93/94 tape off of 24/7 though.
  11. Yeah I forgot about the "cream spinach colour" attack ad (with Ethan Suplee!) but that video has a part 2 which features it. There's a part 3 which features what pretty much summed up how funny the attack ads became in retrospect: Donkey Kong Country. "Where can you play this? Not on Sega. Not on any 32X adapters. Not on a CD. Only on Super Nintendo!". Good stuff. Edit: This would be the DKC ad mentioned above Did Andrew have the "ARE YOU WAITING FOR NINTENDO TO MAKE ONE?" ad listed as one of Sega of America's 100 reasons for sucking?
  12. http://youtube.com/watch?v=F7l-cYBydBg I remembered Sega's smear campaign against Nintendo with Blast Processing and the original "Genesis Does What Nintendon't" campaign (not featured), but forgot about how awful their "ARE YOU WAITING FOR NINTENDO TO MAKE ONE?" Sega CD commercials were. It's very funny in retrospect. SFII:CE crushing the Mortal Kombat box is pretty awesome too.
  13. I would have to assume that if on 24/7 they inserted Real American anachronistically into a Hogan entrance, then he was coming out to SOMETHING they don't own and not silence. I don't know when he started coming out to Eye of the Tiger but let's just assume it's that. I thought the crowd noise was good enough. The Garden audience was absolutely rocking during that entire match. By slience, I meant "no entrance music", not crowd reaction.
  14. I enjoy Jericho's intro to some of these (calling Vince 84, stating the CW open featured worthy contenders "and some who weren't"). I must have confused Vince's title win with another segment because somehow I thought Arnold clocked HHH with the title and Vince pinned him. Arnold does hit HHH with the title at some point in the fall of 99 though, right? I didn't see the 2007 GAB so disregarding the Hornswoggle silliness that was a pretty fun CW title match.
  15. WON is finally going online! I am stoked to get pages of MMA news I don't want immediately, complete with audio updates! Seriously though this is a much needed move forward, especially considering my WON hardcopy usually arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday while Americans on the net seem to get it Friday and already talk about the news.
  16. Was Luke too busy with ROH commitments?
  17. Who is going through what now?
  18. I would have to assume that if on 24/7 they inserted Real American anachronistically into a Hogan entrance, then he was coming out to SOMETHING they don't own and not silence. I don't know when he started coming out to Eye of the Tiger but let's just assume it's that.
  19. I understand your point but this is at least the 5th time you've brought it up.
  20. Good stuff. I also had to laugh at SD Jones being called "the toughest competition to date" for Bulldog Brower. It just sounded so funny to hear SD Jones called tough competition.
  21. The elbow drop was a powerful move back in 1979, it seems. Flying Fred Curry seems like he should have been a bigger name with his 1979 acrobatics.
  22. Nah, if you check the KOTR thread you'll see I said I was surprisingly into this match. By the time they wrestled each other again 14 months later, not so good. You'd think having Luger and Tatanka stretch a match out to a time limit draw would be a disaster, but stranger things have happened - Tatanka and Sylvan Grenier actually had a downright decent match on a SmackDown from Detroit in 2006! I know you mean the Kona Crush gimmick, but it's a funny statement to make when Crush did in fact debut with the company 3 years prior. "I'm seeing double - FOUR Krusty's!" Sorry, I just love The Simpsons and excuses to quote it.
  23. So it's now 1994 and we're another year older, another year wiser, and knee deep into a steroid scandal that has Vince just a bit busy with the Feds. 1993's KOTR winner is now the world champion while his little brother tries to duplicate Bret's feat from the year prior. Speaking of Bret, he has his toughest challenge yet against Diesel, and if that wasn't bad enough Diesel has Shawn Michaels in his corner. What will the champ do to counteract that? And of course, the show ends in grandiose style when Roddy Piper looks to extract revenge on Jerry Lawler for mocking sick children. A main event anywhere in the country in a prior decade, and a main event on this night in 1994. Points for discussion! KOTR 94: 1. Would you have booked the tournament (with it's current seeding) any differently? How so or why not? 2. Which tournament match is the best? 3. Which non-tournament match is the best? 4. Art Donovan on commentary - is that awesomely bad or what? KOTR 93 vs. KOTR 94: 1. Which show do you enjoy more? 2. Which show had the better commentary team? 3. Which tournament bracketing do you feel was better booked?
  24. They appear to to be personal photos sent in, though Meltzer says they're all being sent to NYC to hopefully appear on the Today show.
  25. It just seemed really boring and a waste of a show, I would have hated to be have been part of the live crowd, they didn't really get treated to much that was fun. Was like 30mins of McMahon standing next to money, talking on the phone, and some ok matches. I don't know... I liked it (come on, Vince got Rick Roll'd!) but I'm in the minority. The other guy saying "holy shit" made me laugh too, especially since Score shows it on a 15 minute tape delay and could have fixed that (since they bleep "ass" and what not). http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/mania/winnersphotos/
×
×
  • Create New...