TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

How legitimate, if it all, was Vader's attack on Good Morning Kuwait, and his subsequent arrest?

Vader was told by the English speaking producer to 'ham it up' when the host asked the "Is wrestling fake?" question. He did, and apparently it went too far for the hosts liking, and he filed charges. In that respect, it started out as a work, but it turned very real, including the arrest and detainment.

And as WWE 24/7 is now remidning me, it lead to Ken Shamrock cutting "incredible" promos where he called Vader a bully, then called out Mike Tyson for God knows what reason, citing he was a bully too.

Was this before the Tyson/Holyfield bitting incident. Didn't WCW want to bring in Tyson before that fight and WWE mocked them after the fight?

How legitimate, if it all, was Vader's attack on Good Morning Kuwait, and his subsequent arrest?

Vader was told by the English speaking producer to 'ham it up' when the host asked the "Is wrestling fake?" question. He did, and apparently it went too far for the hosts liking, and he filed charges. In that respect, it started out as a work, but it turned very real, including the arrest and detainment.

And as WWE 24/7 is now remidning me, it lead to Ken Shamrock cutting "incredible" promos where he called Vader a bully, then called out Mike Tyson for God knows what reason, citing he was a bully too.

Was this before the Tyson/Holyfield bitting incident. Didn't WCW want to bring in Tyson before that fight and WWE mocked them after the fight?

It was about two months before the bite fight.

Funny that WWE would mock WCW for that, then bring Tyson in themselves six months later.

I remember there was rumblings of the WWE wanting to do a Shamrock/Tyson fight.

Who had the idea for "Crow Sting" and how far in advance did they know they were going to change Sting completely? Any worries over a lawsuit?

Who had the idea for "Crow Sting" and how far in advance did they know they were going to change Sting completely? Any worries over a lawsuit?

Eric Bischoff stated in his book that Scott Hall came up with the idea.

Scott Hall I think, or maybe Nash said Sting was supposed to be the original third guy in the nWo, so I think they knew that some kind of change was coming regarding him for a few months prior to the storyline.

Scott Hall I think, or maybe Nash said Sting was supposed to be the original third guy in the nWo, so I think they knew that some kind of change was coming regarding him for a few months prior to the storyline.

It was Nash. I was just listening to one of his shoot interviews. Hogan saw that the angle was getting hot and decided he wanted to get in and as Paul Harvey would say, you know the rest of the story.

The story I heard was that Sting was going to turn out to be the third guy at Bash at the Beach '96 if Hogan got cold feet at the last minute about his heel turn.

Ok this question has bugged the hell out of me for a while and just watching the 10 team match at Survivor Series '88 just brought it up again;

What the heck was the explanation behind the double turn in the match? How did Fuji justify turning on Demolition? And for that matter, how did the PoP explain taking on Fuji as their manager? The crowd seemed just as I confused as I was/am.

IIRC, Fuji thought Demolition was getting soft and they weren't listening to him. I'm guessing the Powers of Pain took him as a manager since he already led one team to the titles. I marked out when they played Demolition's music after the face turn to virtually no reaction.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Ok this question has bugged the hell out of me for a while and just watching the 10 team match at Survivor Series '88 just brought it up again;

What the heck was the explanation behind the double turn in the match? How did Fuji justify turning on Demolition? And for that matter, how did the PoP explain taking on Fuji as their manager? The crowd seemed just as I confused as I was/am.

All of this is kayfabe, obviously, though I realize after looking over the post there could be some confusion.

I think your question implies that Fuji did intentionally pull down the ropes, which is certainly how it seemed and what Ax claimed happened down on the floor. But Fuji denied it, started to hit Ax with the cane, and then Smash grabbed him, threw him to Ax, and Ax bodyslammed him. If Fuji really didn't pull the ropes down on purpose on Smash, then the Powers of Pain coming to help him up was their way of acquiring him to be their manager. In that scenario there was no prior agreement between Fuji and the Powers of Pain for Fuji to become their manager.

I think that's how it was supposed to be. Look back at the match and see how Fuji was up on the ropes calling for Demolition to bring someone over to whack with the cane, but they didn't do it. So either Fuji pulled down the ropes on Smash to punish him for not listening and bringing someone over to whack with the cane, and then Ax got pissed at him for doing it OR it was an accident by Fuji and Ax got pissed. I don't think there was supposed to have been any prior understanding between the Powers of Pain and Fuji that he would sabotage Demolition and then become their manager.

While I believe the answer is probably "Tradition/habit" as well as secure fanbases but why did WCW hold so many PPV's at the same venue almost every year?

Superbrawl-San Francisco

Halloween Havoc-Vegas

Starrcade- D.C/Nashville

Fall Brawl-Winston Salem

WW3-Norfolk/Detroit

Great American Bash-Baltimore

Bash at the Beach-Orlando/Daytona

While I believe the answer is probably "Tradition/habit" as well as secure fanbases but why did WCW hold so many PPV's at the same venue almost every year?

Superbrawl-San Francisco

Halloween Havoc-Vegas

Starrcade- D.C/Nashville

Fall Brawl-Winston Salem

WW3-Norfolk/Detroit

Great American Bash-Baltimore

Bash at the Beach-Orlando/Daytona

Some of those made sense geographically and theme wise... Baltimore was a good location to host The Great American Bash as was Daytona hosting Bash at the Beach.

When did the Hardy's start out as Jobbers in the WWF? I know there's a match on Youtube from 94 with Jeff Hardy vs Nickoli Volkoff. They couldn't have been over 16 back then. Did they fake there age or something?

So I bought Volume 1 of the Rumble Anthology and I'm watching the 91 Rumble, and I knew Shane Douglas had a brief run in late 90/early 91, but I was surprised that a) he last nearly a 1/2 hour and b) how much Monsoon and Piper were putting him over. I know Douglas left to take care of his sick Dad, but were there plans to push him big in 1991? Anyone know or did Shane ever say anything in a shoot about that first Fed run?

Jushin Thunder Liger and Sting.

Did they ever lock up other than the lethal lottery at Starrcade 92. The crowd went nuts when they were first facing off in that match, and the little bit I saw made me think that it could have been a good one.

When did the Hardy's start out as Jobbers in the WWF? I know there's a match on Youtube from 94 with Jeff Hardy vs Nickoli Volkoff. They couldn't have been over 16 back then. Did they fake there age or something?

I'd forgot about Jeff in May 97 against RVD, which I'm currently watching on 24/7.

I also remember them as jobbers against the Truth Commission on Shotgun around the time of the Montreal screwjob. They stole the show, and I even recall a Hardy chant for two jobbers.

Guest Lee_The_Pea
So I bought Volume 1 of the Rumble Anthology and I'm watching the 91 Rumble, and I knew Shane Douglas had a brief run in late 90/early 91, but I was surprised that a) he last nearly a 1/2 hour and b) how much Monsoon and Piper were putting him over. I know Douglas left to take care of his sick Dad, but were there plans to push him big in 1991? Anyone know or did Shane ever say anything in a shoot about that first Fed run?

I don't know the real answer but he could have been groomed for a push more like Tatanka's. T.V wins and a ppv intercontainental title match. Lets not kid our selfs in 91 he was not going to be pushed to the moon but if he stayed to 93 he would have had a good opportunity, being more of a non steriod guy.

According to Douglas, he was going to get a big push as a babyface rock star type, somewhat similar to what Shawn Michaels wound up becoming. Jimmy Hart had recorded a song and IIRC a music video vignette for the push and everything. As a young mark for Douglas back then, I remember pulling for him to win the Rumble, because as an impressionable 9 year old I fully admit at one point liking the Dynamic Dudes.

Does anyone else remember a Saturday morning show called "WWF New York" in the summer of 1998? It was on after LiveWire, but not on USA, it was on some local NY station that I had at the time. JR was one of the commentators, and if I remember correctly it had a few matches with jobbers, intersperced with Raw highlights. Anyone?

Never heard of that one. I know in 1990-'91 WCW had a show on WGN called WCW Chicago that had syndicated matches hosted by Tony Schiavone and WCW New York hosted by Jim Ross (I believe on WPIX).

I do remember WWF New York...never saw it of course, but I remember it being a WWF program for probably a year or so.

Anyone remember that awful WWF show on WGN around '97 or so, that was on Saturday mornings? It was just another "RAW re-hash" show hosted by Todd Pettengill. It was like "Here's more of the same, and we're not putting much effort into it, either."