TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I've seen a few people on here talk about purchasing complete years of Nitro & Raw and I was wondering where I can get those. Also, complete SNME & COTC. I know I used to see those all the time on ebay, but I don't see anything now. Anyone know where this can be found?

I've seen a few people on here talk about purchasing complete years of Nitro & Raw and I was wondering where I can get those. Also, complete SNME & COTC. I know I used to see those all the time on ebay, but I don't see anything now. Anyone know where this can be found?

Crazymax.org

The Stars and Stripes Challenge thread raised this question. Did the Lex Luger-Yokozuna feud ever have a proper blowoff? After WrestleMania X, they just went into separate directions with Luger feuding with Mr. Perfect and Yokozuna forming that short lived tag team with Crush. Did WWF just realize nobody really cared about whether or not Lex would finally give Yokozuna his comeuppance and decided to abruptly end the feud? I just found it weird that they'd build up a feud for eight months and then just end it with no big final showdown.

I don't think so. The only time I can think of where Luger squared off with Yokozuna again was in a tag title match at In Your House 2. (Allied Powers Vs. Owen / Yokozuna). IIRC Yokozuna pinned Luger.

Come to think of it, they also fought in a King of The Ring tournament qualifying match back in '95 with Yokozuna going over by countout after he legdropped Luger on the floor. I think they were sort of trying to reignite the original feud with The Allied Powers Vs Owen and Yokozuna feud.

That match happened at Nassau Coliseum in August 1991, Brody.

WWF @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - August 2, 1991 (15,000)

Paul Roma defeated Greg Valentine

The Berzerker defeated Jim Powers

Bobby Heenan pinned Mr. Fuji

Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules

Jimmy Snuka defeated Demolition Smash

The Beverly Brothers defeated the Bushwhackers via disqualification

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned the Warlord

IRS & Ted Dibiase defeated Bret Hart & Virgil when Dibiase pinned Virgil after Sensational Sherri interfered

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Must have been a classic! :P

I can't fathom that match in my head at that point and time

Oh well

Nobody asked but I believe the Fuji-Heenan match was set up on the previous house show when the Orient Express wrestled Haku & the Barbarian.

To the best of my knowledge, in the five or six-odd years they tagged together, the Hart Foundation only won two high profile matches with their finishing move, the Hart Attack clothesline:

February 7, 1987: over the British Bulldogs for the tag team titles (with liberal double-teaming, thanks to a blind eye from Danny Davis)

April 1, 1990: over the Bolsheviks (twenty-second squash at Wrestlemania).

Is that the whole list? Did the Harts never actually win a big match cleanly with their signature move?

J.R. has first worn the hat at the Rumble in San Antonio, and has worn it regularly since In Your House: Canadian Stampede.

How was Shawn able to came back in 2002 and wrestle since then? I thought his back problems caused him to retire permanently after WrestleMania XIV?

How was Shawn able to came back in 2002 and wrestle since then? I thought his back problems caused him to retire permanently after WrestleMania XIV?

He finally felt that his back could stand up to the one match with Hunter and, after praying, he went ahead. Eventually, Shawn decided he could work a limited schedule, and for the most part, since then he's wrestled such a schedule and his back has held up fine.

I believe I saw this answer somewhere else. but why was Jake Roberts not at Summerslam 89? Was it drug suspension?

While on Jake Roberts, why didn't he & Rude fight at Summerslam 88? IIRC he ended up interfering in Rude's match anyways and then the feud ended at Survivor Series when Jake started with Andre.

What happened to Z-Man? He died out towards the end of 91...I guess WWF wasn't interested in him after he left WCW?

Speaking of Z-Man....Just recently saw his match against Bobby Eaton @ the Clash of the Champions in early 91. Anyone know if that was a botched finish? Looks like Eaton actially kicks out of the backslide but the ref's hand hits the mat so they had to say Z-Man won. I wonder if Eaton was to win the title that night.

To the best of my knowledge, in the five or six-odd years they tagged together, the Hart Foundation only won two high profile matches with their finishing move, the Hart Attack clothesline:

February 7, 1987: over the British Bulldogs for the tag team titles (with liberal double-teaming, thanks to a blind eye from Danny Davis)

April 1, 1990: over the Bolsheviks (twenty-second squash at Wrestlemania).

Is that the whole list? Did the Harts never actually win a big match cleanly with their signature move?

I believe they had Smash pinned at SS 90 after hitting it, but Crush attacked the ref , and the Harts earned a DQ win

While on Jake Roberts, why didn't he & Rude fight at Summerslam 88? IIRC he ended up interfering in Rude's match anyways and then the feud ended at Survivor Series when Jake started with Andre.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this was at a time when using key feuds was really important to the house show circuit. Sometimes they would blow off in a PPV match, sometimes they wouldn't. But they were mostly used to draw untelevised events.

What happened to Z-Man? He died out towards the end of 91...I guess WWF wasn't interested in him after he left WCW?

Rick Martel stated, in his shoot interview, that Zenk, when they were teaming in 1987, overestimated his own value and copped a poor attitude whenever he was asked to do something that he didn't want to do. The last straw was when WWF management required that they adhere to dress code for some social gathering or another and Zenk scoffed at it.

Roberts missed SummerSlam 89 because he had to have a disc removed from his neck. DiBiase took credit for the injury on the TV shows.

Speaking of Z-Man....Just recently saw his match against Bobby Eaton @ the Clash of the Champions in early 91. Anyone know if that was a botched finish? Looks like Eaton actially kicks out of the backslide but the ref's hand hits the mat so they had to say Z-Man won. I wonder if Eaton was to win the title that night.

Zenk had already lost the TV title 2-3 weeks earlier at a TV taping to Arn Anderson. Typical WCW, taping title changes to air after a big show before the big show itself took place.

How did Paul Roma go from a Horsemen to teaming with Paul Orndorff? And how long ws the Assassin the manager of the team?

How did Paul Roma go from a Horsemen to teaming with Paul Orndorff? And how long ws the Assassin the manager of the team?

I believe that Roma turned on Erik Watts during a tag team match on Saturday Night some time in December 93. There was a plan set in place to have Roma turn on Arn Anderson around that time, but the whole Arn-Sid fiasco prevented that from happening, so they just went with a different scenario. The Assassin managed Orndorff for the latter part of '93, and the last appearance that I can recall was Clash of the Champions in January '94.

I always thought that was amusing, having a heel manager with a mask.

Wasn't Roma still technically billed as a Horsemen during his team with Orndorff, "The Two Pauls", though?

The entire point of putting The Assassin in front of the camera was for him to "resume his feud" with Dusty Rhodes, vicariously, with a Dustin-Orndorff program.

I'm certain that they dropped the Horsemen billing that month, since Arn was out, Flair was chasing the belt and Roma was moving on.

I really wish that they would have, you know, added a fourth Horsemen at some point during that six month run. That always irked the holy hell out of me. How hard would it have been to add another guy at the television tapings? Does anybody know if they were even considering anyone beyond Flair, Anderson and Roma?

The entire point of putting The Assassin in front of the camera was for him to "resume his feud" with Dusty Rhodes, vicariously, with a Dustin-Orndorff program.

I'm certain that they dropped the Horsemen billing that month, since Arn was out, Flair was chasing the belt and Roma was moving on.

I really wish that they would have, you know, added a fourth Horsemen at some point during that six month run. That always irked the holy hell out of me. How hard would it have been to add another guy at the television tapings? Does anybody know if they were even considering anyone beyond Flair, Anderson and Roma?

The explanation they used on TV was that Ole was the fourth one, but working more "behind the scenes."

I believe I saw this answer somewhere else. but why was Jake Roberts not at Summerslam 89? Was it drug suspension?

Jake Roberts was put out of action thanks to the dasterdly Million Dollar Man and his Million Dollar Dream sleeper hold.

Z-man vs. "Beautiful" Bobby...I love that match.

The explanation they used on TV was that Ole was the fourth one, but working more "behind the scenes."

Really? I don't even remember them mentioning it. Not even once. That's uber lame.