TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest Garvinstomp

In early 1997 WCW, someone attackewd NWO members Wallstreet and Big Bubba Rogers. There was one Nitro episode where NWO members were getting out of a limo and then you see Wallstreet go down as if someone had attacked him. Then the announcers acted as if nobody saw who did it. The same thing happened to Big Bubba Rogers on a different Nitro episode in early 1997.

Does anyone know what happened with that angle? Was it ever revealed who attacked them?

Also, I was watching the Lesnar vs. Angle match the other day from Wrestlemania XIX where Lesnar misses the shooting star and hits his head. It made me curious - did Lesnar ever successfully connect with the shooting star in any of his WWE matches?

Thanks!

In early 1997 WCW, someone attackewd NWO members Wallstreet and Big Bubba Rogers. There was one Nitro episode where NWO members were getting out of a limo and then you see Wallstreet go down as if someone had attacked him. Then the announcers acted as if nobody saw who did it. The same thing happened to Big Bubba Rogers on a different Nitro episode in early 1997.

Does anyone know what happened with that angle? Was it ever revealed who attacked them?

For some reason I remember it being implied tht Diamond Dallas Page did it.

Was the VK Wallstreet invalid NWO contract angle ever paid off?

He wasn't allowed in the NWO after a while due to a clause in his WCW contract, so he just was a WCW wrestler who wore a shirt that said WCW with a red X over it

Also, I was watching the Lesnar vs. Angle match the other day from Wrestlemania XIX where Lesnar misses the shooting star and hits his head. It made me curious - did Lesnar ever successfully connect with the shooting star in any of his WWE matches?

The botched shooting star press at WrestleMania was the only time Lesnar tried the move in WWE.

As part of the Minessota Stretching Crew (with Shelton Benjamin) he defended the OVW Southern Tag Titles on a SmackDown! TV taping, likely a dark match, in which he scored with a picture-perfect SSP, drawing applause from the crowd. I even think it was the same distance as his botched WM one, so I'd attribute his missing on not twisting enough because he was quite capable of making the distance.

So to answer Garvinstomp's question, he did perform it at a WWE show but he wasn't part of the WWE roster just yet.

The thing with Lesnar's SSP at Wrestlemania XIX was that if he had gone to the opposite corner of the ring (near side, on the right) instead of the corner he did go to, he probably would've been fine. When went to the far corner on the left, got on top of the ropes and realized how far away Angle was, there was a brief "Oh shit" look on his face before he jumped. Considering the awful landing he had, it's amazing they were able to piece together the serviceable finish they did.

He should have had the sense to at least try a less risky move, like an elbow drop or something at that point. I guess that wouldn't have been as impressive, though.

He should have had the sense to at least try a less risky move, like an elbow drop or something at that point. I guess that wouldn't have been as impressive, though.

Well, if memory serves correctly, the SSP followed an F5, so to go from his normal finisher and hit just an elbow drop for the pin might have looked a little.. well, a letdown.

I was just watching the angle where the NWO take over Nitro from 12/97. I was wondering, How long did it take them to wreck the set and get the NWO stuff out? What were the ratings like for that segment? I can't imagine too many people waited for that.

I was just watching the angle where the NWO take over Nitro from 12/97. I was wondering, How long did it take them to wreck the set and get the NWO stuff out? What were the ratings like for that segment? I can't imagine too many people waited for that.

it took quite a while if memory serves. I have some clips of that on tape somewhere.

It took a good half an hour, at least. The ratings were not that good, relatively, so the idea of a regular nWo Nitro was scrapped afterwards.

I think I've asked or wondered about this before, but the Cena/HBK match got me thinking about long TV matches again. Was there ever any logical reason given for why the Barry Windham vs Ric Flair match on the Flair DVD ended "because TV time ran out" when they appeared to have enough time to go to a break and come back to get Tony and Dusty's thoughts on the situation?

I just picked up the Classic Superstars figure of Droz. Since I haven't seen many of his matches before his paralyzing injury, I'd like to ask a few questions about they guy. Did the guy actually show any signs of talent, either in the ring or on the mic? Was he just another generic brawler at the time, or did he actually show some potential? And his gimmick was basically he was an alternative rocker or something of that nature, with Prince Albert as his sidekick/tatoo artist who showed up later, correct?

Also, I do vaguely remember his craptastic angle of being the third member of LOD 2000, with Hawk falling off the Titantron.

Droz was pretty much an opening match guy in ECW but looked good in brawls. Showed inexperience but also learned quickly.

In the WWF, he was good in what he was used for - primarilyquick offense and tag team matches. I met him in 1998 the week before Breakdown and he was really nice, talked about wrestling, his upcoming PPV match with Mero (to which he acted surprised he was wrestling Mero on the PPV, lol), and seemed to be getting better throughout '98.

The LOD stuff at least fleshed his character out of being this emotional "get the job done" guy that had some evil, sneaky intentions. The tag team with Prince Albert, although not technically good, had pros and cons. They were good enough power/brawling wrestlers to hang in the lower end of the tag division. The "Albert tries to pierce someone with a HUGE FUCKING NEEDLE" thing was actually really over.

Droz then started wearing this big, weird hat and all this female clothing and stockings regularly in matches, which made him look stupid and the fans lost interest. This happened, IIRC, after he lost a match to The Godfather and had to dress up like a hoe. Only...after the stipulations was over, Droz liked dressing that way and kept wearing the shit.

The Euro Title match with D-'Lo - I don't remember Droz in line for any singles title push, he was just a member of the undercard tag team at the time of the match.

I can remember the flying spinning elbow and flying shoulderblock were big moves of his. Sometimes came off the top. Lots of energy. Not lazy.

I totally forgot he was in ECW. Did he have any televised matches?

I loved the feud with Godfather. I have it all on tape.

Um... it was real in the sense that throwing up on cue was something he could legit do (Or at leastget something to come up, did you see Beyond the Mat).

If it was fake then there would have been a lot more liquid when he did it to make it look better (or worse).

Yes, Droz really could vomit on command. How they figured that would get him over, I had no idea.

Remember when LOD introduced him as their third member?

"Here is...PUKE!" (crowd goes silent)

For my money, the only worthwhile segment was Vince pitching the gimmick to Droz himself as seen in Beyond The Mat.

"He's gonna-heee's gonna-he's gonnaaaheeeeee's gonna PUKE, he's gonna PUKE...!"

A few WWE 24/7 related questions on World Class: I was watching the WCCW episode they're currently showing last night, and I found the Checkmate character interesting. What was the exact deal with him, as I've never see him before?

Also, Gary Hart's relationship with some of the heels was really confusing. Bill Mercer went on about him dumping Bundy and then bringing him back. Also, Hart is shown with Dragon, Checkmate, and Kabuki before their match, but then Arman Hussein was managing them at ringside. Anyone know what was going on?

One other thing...it seemed like half the roster was mentioned as having some title or other. They mentioned an All-Asian Title, and billed Jose Lothario as the Mexican Brass Knucks Champion. Were these real titles, or was Mercer just making stuff up?

Also, Gary Hart's relationship with some of the heels was really confusing. Bill Mercer went on about him dumping Bundy and then bringing him back. Also, Hart is shown with Dragon, Checkmate, and Kabuki before their match, but then Arman Hussein was managing them at ringside. Anyone know what was going on?

You'll hear reference to the "H & H Connection." I believe Hart and Hussein pooled their resources.

I was at that show live. It was one of the most boring shows I've ever been too. It took about an hour to "transform" the set while jobbers wrestled the whole time.

It was also the first time in a long long time that Raw came pretty close to beating Nitro. If I remember correctly, I think Raw's last hour actually beat Nitro's last hour. These were the final ratings that night.

December 22, 1997

WCW Nitro: 3.5

WWF Raw: 3.1

This was the night many look at where the gap between Raw and Nitro started to close.

The botched shooting star press at WrestleMania was the only time Lesnar tried the move in WWE.

As part of the Minessota Stretching Crew (with Shelton Benjamin) he defended the OVW Southern Tag Titles on a SmackDown! TV taping, likely a dark match, in which he scored with a picture-perfect SSP, drawing applause from the crowd. I even think it was the same distance as his botched WM one, so I'd attribute his missing on not twisting enough because he was quite capable of making the distance.

So to answer Garvinstomp's question, he did perform it at a WWE show but he wasn't part of the WWE roster just yet.

I may have been at the same show as you. I was at a Raw in Minneapolis in June of 2001 and one of the dark matches was Shelton/Lesnar against some jobbers. Lesnar finished the match with a picture-perfect SSP. Lesnar and Shelton also came out to the ring with Jesse Ventura. This was while Ventura was still the governor of Minnesota.

The next night at a Smackdown taping in Grand Forks ND, Shelton and Brock had another dark match but I don't remember him doing a SSP that night.

What happened to ICP in the WWF in late 1998? Were they fired or something? Because I remember them turning on the Oddities with the Headbangers, and then the four of them challenged the Oddities & Luna to an 8-man tag at Rock Bottom. Obviously, it ended up being a regular tag match.

Also, am I correct in saying that Ken Shamrock's last televised WWF appearance was being loaded into a car trunk by Chris Jericho?

What happened to ICP in the WWF in late 1998? Were they fired or something? Because I remember them turning on the Oddities with the Headbangers, and then the four of them challenged the Oddities & Luna to an 8-man tag at Rock Bottom. Obviously, it ended up being a regular tag match.

Also, am I correct in saying that Ken Shamrock's last televised WWF appearance was being loaded into a car trunk by Chris Jericho?

Yea I think so, cuz the Shamrock/Jericho match never happened at unforgiven (road dogg took shammys place IIRC)

X-Pac was the replacement. Was this trunk loading angle tied into Jericho wearing hockey gear and hitting a Lionsault on Shamrock, causing him to bleed internally, or am I imagining this angle?

^The hockey gear match was definitely Shamrock's last on-screen appearance. And IIRC, it was Howard Finkel that got locked in the trunk, not Shamrock. Could be wrong though.