TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NYU

Johnny Depp Dislikes U.S.

Does anyone have the German interview here?

I've been avoiding the thread because I'm rather indifferent to the guy. I kind of doubt he'd make comments like that just out of the blue though. If he was asked of what he thought of the current situation in the US, that's different.

I might be wrong, but I don't really think this is akin to the Dixie Chicks just suddently popping their political opinion in the middle of a performance.

Guest JMA
Most people outside of the United States hate America. Often quite passionately.

Make of that what you will

Just so you know, someone will probably respond to this and claim they're "jealous." Which I don't really agree with. People around the world who hate the States do so for different reasons, IMO.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Most people outside of the United States hate America. Often quite passionately.

Just so you know, someone will probably respond to this and claim they're "jealous." Which I don't really agree with. People around the world who hate the States do so for different reasons, IMO.

Arrogance, blind nationalism, and bullying are just a few reasons why America is usually not well liked by others.

Arrogance, blind nationalism, and bullying are just a few reasons why America is usually not well liked by others.

And us being so much sexier than everyone else...that too.

Guest JMA

There are also stupid reasons to hate America. Like wacky Muslim fundies thinking we're "The Great Satan."

Guest JMA

SOME people are blind nationalists. I wouldn't say it's fair to group all Americans that way. I hate nationalism itself, no matter the country.

Oh no Johnny Depp hates the U.S. How will I ever get to sleep?

Oh no WukenBloodstar hates the U.S. How will I ever get to sleep?

Oh no, there's a sense of anti-Americanism going on in the Current Events folder, and it's hurting my feelings! I think I'll PM Dames and tell him what's going on.

Here's what I sent:

I'm possibly being an oversensitive American as usual, but the trend of anti-American sentiment in the CE folder has turned from something that started as a joke to incessant vibes to out and out racism. The main culprits are Johnny Depp and WukenBloodstar, and while I don't for a second think it warrants a ban or a warning or anything so severe, I do think you should be aware these forums are read by wrestling fans in America, and the fact this anti-American attitude has gone unreprimanded as the acceptable face of CE is, in my opinion, kind of disgraceful and promotes the site in a very bad light.

WAHHHHHHHHHH!...

How does one get to be so witty?

Still doesn't give me reason enough to provide where I was born(and live)

Your IP resolves to a broadband company in Herndon, VA. Just pointing that out.

That was a bit naughty Mr Mod, why do you always come across like such a smug and sad twat.

'Just pointing that out'.

I'd go with blind nationalism and patriotism as the reason Americans rub so many up the wrong way. The whole "U.S.A." chant doesn't go down well.

I don't see what the big controversy here is. Some German magazine reporter asked Depp what his opinion on the subject was, Depp answered, that's it. I don't agree with his views, but it's not like I'm going to lose any sleep over it. He's not in charge of anything important: he's just some actor guy who doesn't even live here anymore. Give it a rest.

The real question is, why did the reporter ask an actor with no political credentials questions about his opinions on politics, and why did the magazine think it newsworthy enough to publish it?

The real question is, why did the reporter ask an actor with no political credentials questions about his opinions on politics, and why did the magazine think it newsworthy enough to publish it?

Well, it got people on an American wrestling message board talking about a magazine they've never heard of. I say they've more than justified publishing it to themselves.

Because, to paraphrase Prime Minister Jim Hacker, "You've only got to say a couple of lines in the East End and the press want to know your opinion about everything. Start an article with a picture of the Deputy Secretary for Trade and Industry, and nobody wants to read it."

And I know I've mentioned this counterexample before, but it deserves repetition. When, following the success of Seven Years in Tibet, Brad Pitt was interviewed by Time Magazine, he said this:

"You shouldn't speak until you know what you're talking about. That's why I get uncomfortable with interviews. Reporters ask me what I feel China should do about Tibet. Who cares what I think China should do? I'm a fucking actor. They hand me a script, I act. I'm here for entertainment. Basically, when you whittle everything away, I'm a grown man who puts on makeup."

Reading that, I felt like Diogenes at the end of my search.

Guest JMA
When, following the success of Seven Years in Tibet, Brad Pitt was interviewed by Time Magazine, he said this:

"You shouldn't speak until you know what you're talking about. That's why I get uncomfortable with interviews. Reporters ask me what I feel China should do about Tibet. Who cares what I think China should do? I'm a fucking actor. They hand me a script, I act. I'm here for entertainment. Basically, when you whittle everything away, I'm a grown man who puts on makeup."

I remember Tom mentioning the Brad Pitt thing before. It's really smart on his part.

Um...is there another quote somewhere that I'm not seeing where he says he hates the United States.

"America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth - that can bite and hurt you, aggressive," Depp was quoted as saying.

Depp said he wanted his two children, ages 1 and 4, to experience the United States "like it's a kind a toy - a broken toy maybe. Investigate a little bit, check it out, get this feeling and then get out."

I'd go with blind nationalism and patriotism as the reason Americans rub so many up the wrong way.

You're kind of forced to pat yourself on the back when you bail out EVERY country on God's green earth out of the goodness of your heart and they turn their noses up at you when you protect your own interests.

I'd go with blind nationalism and patriotism as the reason Americans rub so many up the wrong way.

You're kind of forced to pat yourself on the back when you bail out EVERY country on God's green earth out of the goodness of your heart and they turn their noses up at you when you protect your own interests.

Yep. That's the stuff...

Denying any anti-American sentiment on his part, actor Johnny Depp (news) said on Thursday that quotes attributed to him as likening the United States to a "dumb puppy" were inaccurate and taken out of context.

"I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it," Depp said in a statement released by his Los Angeles-based publicist. "It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Depp, currently starring in the swashbuckling film "Pirates of the Caribbean," issued the statement a day after the German news magazine Stern published an interview in which he ridiculed Washington's confrontation with France, where he lives, over the U.S. war in Iraq (news - web sites).

The magazine quoted the actor as saying "America is ... like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive." He was further quoted as saying he wanted his children to "see America as ... a broken toy" that they should explore, get the feel of, then "get out."

Explaining his comments a day later, Depp he had been using a metaphor that was taken "radically out of context," adding, "There was no anti-American sentiment."

"What I was saying was that, compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation," he said. "My deepest apologies to those who were offended, affected, or hurt by this insanely twisted deformation of my words and intent."

His spokeswoman added that the Kentucky-born Depp, 40, lives in the south of France with his family because his wife, actress-singer Vanessa Paradis (news), is French.

We have the oldest Constitution in the world. America as a country is far, far older than any nation in Europe, and our legislative, judicial, and executive branches are much more extensively tested, much more sophisticated, and much more mature. Europe is the snot-nosed little brat in the relationship. America is the long-suffering parent.

Guest Dmann2000
For those who work in the tourist industries and need that money, yes it is. Johnny Depp would be indirectly taking money from them and possibly costing them their jobs.

Again-

No one really cares what Johnny Depp thinks. Why? He's Johnny Depp. I really don't think anyone is going to cancel their trip to America because of what the star of Donnie Brasco says.

Wait a minute...

Al Pacino said he hates America!?!

Guest JMA

Wasn't France's revolution inspired by America? I believe it was. They wanted a goverment like ours and supported us. So, they rebelled in a rather bloody way. We renounced this, of course, and I believe we took some kind of action. This is probably one of the MANY reasons the US and France don't get along. I don't, however, agree that all the countries in Europe are "snot-nosed brats." Depp was probably just pissed because his wife and children are French, and he lashed out. I'm not going to hold it against him or imply things about him --provided he doesn't do it again. After all, generalizing Americans and America is just as bad as what some people say about France. Respect works both ways.

I hope one day countries can start respecting each other and stop living in the past.

Guest Retro Rob
Wasn't France's revolution inspired by America? I believe it was.

Yes.

They wanted a goverment like ours and supported us. So, they rebelled in a rather bloody way. We renounced this, of course, and I believe we took some kind of action. This is probably one of the MANY reasons the US and France don't get along.

I think that happened too long ago for anyone to really care about anymore. Most, if not all, of the reasons for the current problems between France and the US are due to more recent issues.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Just because someone's an actor doesn't mean he has no right giving his opinions. Just because the media will cover his opinion doesn't make him wrong to share it.

Just because you strongly disagree with a differing opinion you have no right to tell them "you can't have that opinion", regardless of who is giving them.

Ok, you are correct. Let me rephrase:

He's ana ctor with no qualifications or experience in geo-political affairs. I don't care what he thinks.

where's your qualifications? I've seen you voice your opinions enough times?

Depp has every right to say what he wants. As a movie star people are interested in his opinions and when someone asks him he's going to give an honest answer.

If you don't like that answer that's fine but it's no reason to ridicule him because he's "Just an Actor".

Where the founding fathers all career politicans? I think not. You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion.

Thomas Jefferson enrolled at William and Mary when he was 16 and studied law for five years after he graduated (which took him 2 years). He was fluent in Latin and Greek. James Madison graduated from Princeton (then the College of New Jersey) when he was 20. George Washington's brilliance in mathematics was such that he became a professional field surveyor at 15. At 17 he was commissioned as the surveyor of Culpeper county.

Johnny Depp is a high school dropout, arrested at least three times for violent crimes.

What was your point again?

This thread is incredibly stupid.

Whether Depp's worldview is ignorant, uneducated, whatever, it's still his opinion. Like if I said I think Bush isn't the proper man to lead this country. That can't be proven correct or false. It's just simply an opinion, a personal interpretation of what's going on.