TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nugget

"RVD will never win the Heavyweight title, but..."

Guest nugget

I didn't have my tv turned up all the way, but right before they started the ladder match, i thought i heard JR say that RVD may never win the heavyweight title, but the Intercontinental title is prestigious nevertheless(or something to that effect). Now can anybody else verify this or was i just hearing things?

Guest Choken One

Gotta be hearing things because if he said that we'd have 12 pages of ranting at this point...

Guest RollingSambos

RVD proved that he is world heavyweight title material tonight. I mean, the fans actually CARE about this guy. He proved that much tonight.

Guest Choken One

Well he's kinda right there I guess...

I guess he gave up on Billy Gunn fulfilling his "potential" then...

Guest nugget
"RVD is the best althlete never to have been world champion."

JR's been selling RVD on that trait for a few weeks.

thanks for the help, just had to check up on myself

Guest TheGame2705
RVD proved that he is world heavyweight title material tonight. I mean, the fans actually CARE about this guy. He proved that much tonight.

I guess Lita should get a world title then because the fans have gone crazy for her.

I guess Lita should get a world title then because the fans have gone crazy for her.

You know what they meant. RVD is still very over, in spite of bad booking.

Or the women's champion. You know, the title for her division :P

With all those injuries he's had keep him out over the last 2 years...I see why they never put the top title on him.

Wait...he hasn't been injured has he?

Oh.

Well...I understand not wanting your shows to end with a super over guy whipping the crowd into a frenzy when you win.

The only injury to keep RVD out of action was an ankle injury if I remember right. Considering guys like Triple H might go out with a sprained thumb from struggling to open a can of that bee water, maybe having a champ who just flies around the ring and is willing to lay his body on the line but keep coming back for more might generate some interest.

It's not like it would hurt the company to see if it works.

Plus, a champ who fights every night on RAW? When is the last time we saw that?

"Plus, a champ who fights every night on RAW? When is the last time we saw that?"

Ooh...good question.

It predates the RAW title

Brock jumped right away with no RAW defenses.

Rock had one non title match with Eddy on RAW...other than that I don't remember.

Taker didn't work every week on the count of the roster split and having a feud with one show while cutting a promo on the other.

Hogan obviously didn't...

that brings us back to HHH...and in his one month I think he had one defense...where he pinned...Stephanie.

So the answer is Jericho from December 2001-March 2002

Guest RollingSambos

RVD is incredibly durable (never gets hurt), he's obviously motivated when the office is treating him right (see tonight), his connection with the fans is unmatched by another other babyface on RAW (also see tonight), and he's definitely paid his dues. It'd also be a nice change of pace, the WWF hasn't had a champion this athletic and dynamic since the days of HBK.

RVD had the crowd eating from the palm of his hand, the guy could put out matches like the ladder match every week as long as he is being pushed as a main eventer, the fans were so into him that i had 2001 flashbacks, that's how pumped the crowd was, let's see Goldberg or HHH keep the fans on the edge of their seats throughout the whole match, i guess last night's main event will finally shut up those pesky RVD haters.

Guest Coffey

Rob Van Dam better wear the fucking title this time. It looks stupid as all hell when he comes out holding the title in his hand.

Guest TheGame2705

For crying out loud, so what?? The guy is over but so is Spanky, Funaki, Lita, Trish Stratus, etc. Goldust was way over too in his feud vs. the nWo. Should all those people get title runs. I don't hate RVD but can see why he isn't being pushed to the top.

He's potatoed Austin and Angle (so many times his wife got loud), injured Triple H twice (once being in a PPV main), and injured himself once. Once he proves he can go out there and not hurt someone he'll probably get more respect.

It's worse coupled with the fact that he thinks he's being so depushed like the rest of you do. Maybe if he wasn't cocky like he is in his interviews he could probably get by better too.

Bret Hart, Triple H, and even Hogan came claim they never hurt people.

For crying out loud, so what?? The guy is over but so is Spanky, Funaki, Lita, Trish Stratus, etc. Goldust was way over too in his feud vs. the nWo. Should all those people get title runs. I don't hate RVD but can see why he isn't being pushed to the top.

He's potatoed Austin and Angle (so many times his wife got loud), injured Triple H twice (once being in a PPV main), and injured himself once. Once he proves he can go out there and not hurt someone he'll probably get more respect.

It's worse coupled with the fact that he thinks he's being so depushed like the rest of you do. Maybe if he wasn't cocky like he is in his interviews he could probably get by better too.

You are comparing RVD with Spanky,Lita, Trish, etc??? And because he has busted open(not crippled) wrestlers in the past he is not allowed to be push? It sounds like you are very obsessed with RVD, hey, you'll jump into the bandwagon as soon as RVD starts getting a push. :headbang:

Guest NCJ

HHH gave Angle a cuncussion in a main event triple threat match with the Rock at Summerslam back in 2000. I don't know many wrestlers who haven't given another some type of injury other than Bret. And I think even Bret said major injury, so he probably has busted someone open accidently. RVD hasn't injured anyone since the Elimanation Chamber, and the only reason that happened was because he tried to adjust his frog splash from the cell to compensate for the low ceiling of the cage. It is wrestling and accidents happen. I mean even Eddy and CHavo, two of my favorite wrestlers, almost killed Hass twice last week. Could RVD be a little carefuler in the ring? Yes. Should the fact that he is sometimes a little sloppy stop him from being the World champ? Have you seen HHH recently or Goldberg ever. I'm one of the few net fans that dosen't hate Goldberg, but within a match RVD is way more over than Goldberg is. Goldberg might get better reactions coming to the ring, and in squashes, but in a real wrestling match few people can keep the crowd as hot as RVD can. If anything question him getting a push based on his performance when there isn't any stipulations, hardcore, Ladder/TLC, Cage.

Guest TheGame2705

You are comparing RVD with Spanky,Lita, Trish, etc??? And because he has busted open(not crippled) wrestlers in the past he is not allowed to be push? It sounds like you are very obsessed with RVD, hey, you'll jump into the bandwagon as soon as RVD starts getting a push. :headbang:

Gimmick poster

Guest TheGame2705
HHH gave Angle a cuncussion in a main event triple threat match with the Rock at Summerslam back in 2000. I don't know many wrestlers who haven't given another some type of injury other than Bret. And I think even Bret said major injury, so he probably has busted someone open accidently. RVD hasn't injured anyone since the Elimanation Chamber, and the only reason that happened was because he tried to adjust his frog splash from the cell to compensate for the low ceiling of the cage. It is wrestling and accidents happen. I mean even Eddy and CHavo, two of my favorite wrestlers, almost killed Hass twice last week. Could RVD be a little carefuler in the ring? Yes. Should the fact that he is sometimes a little sloppy stop him from being the World champ? Have you seen HHH recently or Goldberg ever. I'm one of the few net fans that dosen't hate Goldberg, but within a match RVD is way more over than Goldberg is. Goldberg might get better reactions coming to the ring, and in squashes, but in a real wrestling match few people can keep the crowd as hot as RVD can. If anything question him getting a push based on his performance when there isn't any stipulations, hardcore, Ladder/TLC, Cage.

Wasn't that because the table fell under the weight? Accidents happen but you don't want them happening with your top guy. Well unless your Vince McMahon and it's the Smackdown brand then you're fine. You can have your top guy fall on his fucking face.

Guest Trivia247

they always bill RVD at 220 which is the max weight for a cruiserweight/Lightweight

HBK bucked up to what 230 before he went heavyweight gold.

Now I don't know if RVD is still 220 except for the fact they bill him as such. but if he is Heavyweight status then they should at least mention it

Guest MikeSC

BUt the thing is that RVD can't have matches like that every night without having a Jeff Hardy burnout.

What?

Rob can't have slow, plodding matches on a regular basis?

Oh, I must disagree.

-=Mike --- the ladder match was the worst ladder match I've seen

Guest MikeSC
With all those injuries he's had keep him out over the last 2 years...I see why they never put the top title on him.

Wait...he hasn't been injured has he?

Oh.

Well...I understand not wanting your shows to end with a super over guy whipping the crowd into a frenzy when you win.

The reaction of the fans was a "frenzy"?

Intriguing what passes for "frenzy" nowadays.

-=Mike

So now that was a bad match and the crowd wasn't poping their asses off?

I swear to christ, that guy could lift off and fly like superman and you'd say it wasn't anythings special.

Guest MikeSC
So now that was a bad match and the crowd wasn't poping their asses off?

I swear to christ, that guy could lift off and fly like superman and you'd say it wasn't anythings special.

It was a bad match, sorry to say. I happen to like Christian, but this match was tedious. It looks real good in comparison to EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE SHOW, but it is RAW. Just because the rest of the show is unmitigated crap and one match is mediocre, it doesn't suddenly mean that the mediocre match is great.

The crowd was on their hands for the VAST majority of the match (a COMMON problem for Robbie boy's matches) and this "massive" pop at the end of the match only illustrates how much the crowd doesn't care about the WWE now, as the pop for that win would have seen borderline muted just two years ago.

It was the usual RVD match. Spot --- stall --- spot. It wasn't even a very good ladder match --- and I'm f'n sick of ladder matches.

-=Mike

For crying out loud, so what?? The guy is over but so is Spanky, Funaki, Lita, Trish Stratus, etc.

You can't HONESTLY be putting RVD's overness on the same level of Funaki and Spanky, or Lita and Trish. I swear, you can't be that stupid. Show me an episode of Raw or Smackdown where the crowd has been whipped into such a frenzy by any of those guys like they were with RVD last night. Hell, show me a Raw or Smackdown where Triple H or Goldberg had the crowd whipped into a frenzy like last night. Goldberg might get pops, but he doesn't get THAT kind of crowd reaction and THAT kind of appreciation from the fans.

Yawn, the potatoing of Austin and Angle was 2 YEARS AGO ! Get over it, man. He might make a guy bleed from his mouth or something occassionally, but in no way is he a menace in the ring. He injured Triple H twice ? Who hasn't injured Triple H ?! And those were freak accidents. If Triple H's muscles weren't tearing from his bone as he walked, he'd be a bit more resilient. And if he'd learn to fucking watch his body while somebody dives off a chamber, he wouldn't have injured his throat. And he injured himself once - again, who hasn't ? Game, you're grasping for straws here. With RVD's high-flying style, he's been injured seriously ONCE. Just ONCE. He deserves props for that.

He is being depushed. If he has to make it known on a radio show that he doesn't it, just so something will get done, then that is what he has to do. He got saddled with Kane for most of the year while he remained quiet. He spoke out - and weeks later, he's the Intercontinental Champion. Obviously, he was getting depushed and, if WWE does what's right after Monday night, he'll get pushed again.