TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NYU

Goldust Not Getting Renewed Contract

From WWE.com:

WWE has elected not to offer a new contract of Dustin Runnels, aka Goldust, after his current contract expires in mid-January of 2004.

This pisses me off so much. WHY? The hell? You keep Mark Henry but fire Goldust? The hell is wrong with them? This is a disturbingly stupid idea. I can just see it: "Well, what we have here is a popular guy with a good moveset, lots of charisma, size, and he has the unique ability to appear anywhere from the opener to the main event and not look out of place. Let's get rid of him and book an exciting Mark Henry vs John Heiderwhateverthefuck match!"

Morons.

Guest JMA

Well, they basically killed his Goldust character. He'd work well in TNA. He'll certainly get a much bigger push.

Guest JMA
He'd get a big push, but fans won't be into plain ol' Dustin Rhodes. The sensationalistic nature of Goldust is what got him over huge.

They killed the Goldust character by making him a comedy act. The only reason people liked it was because there was NOTHING else entertaining on RAW.

He'd get a big push, but fans won't be into plain ol' Dustin Rhodes.  The sensationalistic nature of Goldust is what got him over huge.

They killed the Goldust character by making him a comedy act. The only reason people liked it was because there was NOTHING else entertaining on RAW.

Right, but what I'm saying is that an ordinary Dustin Rhodes, free from the gimmick in TNA, will not be anywhere as popular or hated as he was when he was Goldust.

Dustin probably will come out of this okay, as it is likely NWA will hire him (I don't see why they wouldn't) and give him a decent push, but this is rather distressing news, if for no other reason than the WWE (surprise, surprise) really failed to realize the potential for him.

A little under a year ago, Dustin & Booker T were (arguably) two of the most over guys on RAW, but jobbing them out to the heatless team of Regal & Storm as well as Dustin's subsequent treatment pretty killed the usefulness of the Goldust character.

Yet another failed opportunity for the WWE.

This pisses me off so much. WHY? The hell? You keep Mark Henry but fire Goldust? The hell is wrong with them? This is a disturbingly stupid idea. I can just see it: "Well, what we have here is a popular guy with a good moveset, lots of charisma, size, and he has the unique ability to appear anywhere from the opener to the main event and not look out of place. Let's get rid of him and book an exciting Mark Henry vs John Heiderwhateverthefuck match!"

Morons.

They have to keep Mark Henry. He's got a very long-term, high money contract.

I find it funny that just a few months ago in an interview, Goldust stated that he culd see himself becoming World Heavyweight Champion.

My guess is Trips wanted to nip this problem in the bud before it actually got to that point (and knowing WWE, odds are it never would)

Other than that... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Goldust was awesome!

:angry:

Never stopped them from getting out of other contracts. Remember that certain someone who had a 20 year contract?

Never stopped them from getting out of other contracts. Remember that certain someone who had a 20 year contract?

The Big Show? :lol:

I'm kidding....

I'd answer that..but you know how "that situation" turns into a huge argument around here.

Besides, it just dosen't work that way with some guys. There's no "Well, you could go to WCW..which will pay you more.." now. Once it's locked in, they're stuck.

So.... why is it that Billy Gunn, Kevin Nash, and a host of other get fat contracts year after year, but the one guy who had a hell of a run w/ Booker and who really stepped up his game gets dropped?

Who books this crap?

So.... why is it that Billy Gunn, Kevin Nash, and a host of other get fat contracts year after year, but the one guy who had a hell of a run w/ Booker and who really stepped up his game gets dropped?

Who books this crap?

hhh1.jpg

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Sod whether they were right to release him or not, but a shocking lack of ethics here annoucing that a guy will be leaving the company in the near future.

I would expect an announcement when he left, and if I were Goldust I would be insulted a message like that would be posted at wwe.com

The WWE could fire anyone they wanted to - it's just a matter of "do this" "oh, you don't?" "ok... you broke the contract" oooor "piss in this cup", but they're probably worried about a race lawsuit if they fire Henry... that, and Vince is (more than likely) a Henry mark (given his "legitimate" strength and size).

Who books this crap?

hhh1.jpg

oh yeah. I forgot :P

Guest John Dub

Golddust really impressed me. I couldn't care less about his return when it was announced at the Rumble, but the following PPV (No Way Out) He brought the house down with RVD on the only watchable match of the show. He had an interesting character and, although not the best wrestler on RAW, far from the worst.

Right, but what I'm saying is that an ordinary Dustin Rhodes, free from the gimmick in TNA, will not be anywhere as popular or hated as he was when he was Goldust.

If TNA's crowd were marks, this would be true. But I don't think there's anyone at TNA shows who DOESN'T know what the current angles are going on in the WWE, and a good deal of them read the dirt sheets too.

He's a big guy with a moveset that's better than Genericism By Kevin Nash.