TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

No Raw Diatribe...

Due to the fact that I'm VERY under the weather and I'm leaving for Connecticut (just for the interview) tonight, I won't be able to get the Raw Diatribe done this week.

Instead...I finally finished the first of my 3 part Diatribe on the Flair DVD.

Take a look at it and let me know what you think.

Dames

I wasn't going to let him beat me to the punch.

Then again...he's probably going to do it all in one shot and blow his load.

Dames

Great job Dames.

Between reviews like yours, and catching preview bits on Confidential, it really makes me realize just how shitty the product can be today. Flair and his opponents did 100 little things to make everything and everyone look important.

I wasn't going to let him beat me to the punch.

Then again...he's probably going to do it all in one shot and blow his load.

Dames

Please Dames, don't let me ever envision Scott Keith blowing his load again.

Ever.

My only argument is the Race match, simply because I'm a big fan of that late 70s-early 80s NWA style that was very methodical and hard hitting. There were SO many little things about that match that made it so great, specifically the point where Kiniski gets in Flair's face about using a closed fist, and then while Kiniski admonishes Flair, Race comes back and CLOBBERS Flair with one of his own...

I'm not bashing how you watched the match or anything, but I'm guaranteeing you that if you watch some more early 80s NWA up to that point or you can find some late 70s stuff, and you take the time to look for the little things...it'll make you REALLY appreciate that match, Dames.

Great review though. I always like reading them.

Brilliantly written, Dames. But I tend to find the smartmarks quite a difficult site to read. At 800*600 you have to move the side scroller to catch the full line and I think the text should be centred a little more. It's quite exhausting following it all the way over. Other than that, thumbs waay up.

Yeah, I agree with El Dandy about the Race match. While I don't necessarily agree with going the full monty on it like SK did, it was **** pretty easy.

Still...EPIC review. I cannot wait until this thing comes to Canada.

Edited by CanadianChris

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Great review like everyone else said. Probably the only WWF/E DVD I can watch multiple times and not get tired of it.

Easily replaces that piece of shit Hulk STILL Rules DVD as my favorite wrestling DVD of all time.

Can't wait to see the next two parts.

Side Question: I heard that Flairs titan tron video is an easter egg, but I can't find it. Any help?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Dames diatribe on Disc 1 kicks Scott Keiths rant.

I love how Scott Keith can hand out ***** to Race/Flair when even I (Mr. Generous) thinks it was ***1/2 tops. It was far from awesome with no flaws at all. (The end botch should knock it down automatically)

Guest Max Peter David

I even think Dames over rated that match.

And, Windham/Flair was ***** in my book.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I enjoyed the review and thought that your style was the best. The way that you reviewed it was the way I feel tht the material should be viewed. I watched the bonus features that had the pre-match buildup and then proceeded to the match. The only knock I have against it is that you should ditch the Match Background because all of that is explained well enough in the bonus features stuff. I think you put the most effort into your review out of all the reviews I've read and it shows.

Guest Loss

This was a really good review. If I pointed out all the things I really liked about it, I'd be redundant and we'd be hear all day, but I wanted to clarify one big thing that is a big misperception.

Ron Garvin was never hated by the NWA fanbase. He was an exciting wrestler who was able to bring something out of Flair that few others could -- he made you forget Flair was The Man and turned him into an emotionally driven fighter. When Garvin was challenging Flair for the title, as he did often from 1985-1987, he was pretty loved, as everyone loved their matches because they were so stiff and different from the typical Flair title defense.

As a challenger, he was very over and I wouldn't call him "great" in the ring, but he was so unique that his matches were usually intriguing. As a champion, he was in shoes he couldn't fill and was a flop, but only as a champion.

To compare, if you put the world title on Rikishi tomorrow, it wouldn't be fair to say the WWE fanbase always hated him, although they would definitely reject him on top.

Guest dvkorn

I still think your ratings are too harsh... there's harsh then there is you...

Other then that... Nice Job...