TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

Magazine's The Correct Use of Soap

I'm thinking of ordering a few things online, namely a couple of albums by The Wedding Present, Wire's 154 and the Birthday Party's Pleasure Heads Must Burn DVD.

In non-music matters, I would very much like to get my hands on the Lost in Translation DVD. Very much indeed.

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

The Ladybug Transistor - The Ladybug Transistor

Nebraska is great and deserves to be called a classic. Ladybug Transistor is just a great pop album.

Picked up a legit copy of The Unicorns' Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone after seeing them at a UVA festival show on Saturday. I already knew it was wonderful, but after seeing these bizarre little Canadian men do their thing, I thought they deserved my money. If you get a chance to see them, go for it. If you're lucky, they'll tell a 12-minute ghost story using 38-key Casio keyboards and stage a fight with a homeless man.

I'm thinking of ordering a few things online, namely a couple of albums by The Wedding Present, Wire's 154 and the Birthday Party's Pleasure Heads Must Burn DVD.

In non-music matters, I would very much like to get my hands on the Lost in Translation DVD. Very much indeed.

Have you heard of 'Crime and The City Solution'? Another Mick Harvey project. I'v been meaning to check them out, many say their album 'Shine' is an unacknowledged masterpiece. I was gonna get some of Barry Adamson's solo stuff as well, but I'd better wait till payday. Ebay has fucked me over this month.

even more coltrane: 'the major works'. has "om", "kulu se mama", both editions of "ascension", and some other random track. seems pretty good. "ascension" is, of course, god-like; "kulu" is inoffensive (if unspectacular), and "om" would be pretty damn good if it weren't for that stupid fucking pretentious chanting. the random track is blah.

Can's Tago Mago finally arrived and after having listened to it I'm just about speechless. Just... wow. It feels like a handgrenade has exploded inside my head (and I mean that in a good way).

Have you heard of 'Crime and The City Solution'?

Nope.

And, excepting the Wire record (which, one day, will be mine), I ordered everything in the above post. The Wedding Present albums, by the way, are George Best and Bizarro, which are the only Weddoes albums still in print in the States (outside of Seamonsters, which I already have).

And good job on Tago Mago, Arkham. I'll never forget the first time I heard "Halleluwah"; the entire band's performance on that track is extraordinary, but Jaki Leibezeit really shines. That he was able to maintain such a tight, minimal yet extremely funky beat with little variation is a credit to his immense talent.

Guest JebusNassedar

Returned from Tower last night, with $260 of loot but only $40 being CDs.

hey, I cant help it if they had Black Adder DVDs on sale.

Anyways, the two CDs I bought were King Crimson - "The Consise King Crimson", which was influenced by all the talk about the lineups, plus having NO idea where to start, and Strapping Young Lad - "City." I havent listened to it all the way through, but I REALLY like what I'm hearing thusfar.

Strapping Young Lad - "City." I havent listened to it all the way through, but I REALLY like what I'm hearing thusfar.

That's a great album. Besides Infinity, I think it's the best thing Devin Townsend ever did. There's great tracks on that album-"All Hail the New Flesh", "Oh My Fucking God", and "Far Beyond Metal" are my favourites.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Anyways, the two CDs I bought were King Crimson - "The Consise King Crimson", which was influenced by all the talk about the lineups, plus having NO idea where to start

Depending on which prog dweeb you ask, you'll get a different answer here. I'd say the best way to go is to get In the Court of the Crimson King (their debut in..67?), Starless and Bible Black, and Three of a Perfect Pair, which is probably one of the best albums of the 80's. Adrian Belew's voice is a beautiful thing.

I have a good feeling that there's a decent selection on that cd you've got though, as KC's compilation stuff is put together very well. What's the track list look like?

In lieu of a real cd purchase(due to poorness, and buying compunerd equipment), i just picked up the lates Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles magazine with the Knuckletrax sampler platter.

On this edition is:

God Forbid, Asterius, Cannae, Necronomicon, Dan Lorenzo, Destruction, Stratovarius, Eidolon, Chris Catena, Big Iron, Stampin' Ground, Impaled Nazarene, Legion, Vader, The End, Beyone The Flesh, The Amenta, Wheatstone Bridge.

I have heard very few of these acts so I'm stoked about a little bit of discovery.

BTW Agent, may I jack your lennox sig picture? I think it would go well with my sig motif...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

If you must. I was looking for one of him getting humiliated by Hasim Rahman, but couldn't find it. There's also one other condition. You have to admit that Stratovarius sucks donks.

Guest JebusNassedar

Well, I finished City at school yesterday, while my Geometry teacher went on and on about his favorite number. good shit.

Also, the "Concise" track list:

21st Century Schizoid Man

Epitaph

In the Court of the Crimson King [Abridged]

Cat Food [Abridged]

Ladies of the Road

Starless [Abridged]

Red

Fallen Angel

Elephant Talk

Frame By Frame

Matte Kudesai

Heartbeat

Three of a Perfect Pair

Sleepless

At this poitn, my favorite tracks on the CD are 21st Century, Cat Food, Elephant Talk, and Three of a Perfect Pair. Pretty good stuff on the whole disk, but I havent gotten the time to just listen to all of it at once.

coltrane, 'meditations'. good, good stuff, seems like he was trying to synthesize that airy, spiritual 'a love supreme' sound with the harsh 'ascension' sound, and it blends together really well. but i wish he'd taken the harsh sound further, it sounds kind of pussified compared to 'ascension'.

Incubus - Crow Left of the Murder

Bob Marley - Legend

Bruce Springsteen - The Essential

Beatles - Abbey Road

Finger Eleven - s/t

Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy

Kanye West, College Dropout. If you like rap, you need it, period. If you don't like rap, you still probably ought to check it out - it's a balance of humor, superb production, and pretty much altogether great rhymes, and it's only $9.99 at most places this week. Probably the best mainstream rap release I've heard in a long time. If he releases the right singles (already off to the right start with "Slow Jamz"), this album will be huge.

Picked out Slanted and Enchanted by Pavement and Trompe Le Monde by the Pixies this weekend, and they're still both really great albums. Of course, I was buying them for the second time over, since they were included in a batch of 21 CD's that I had stolen from me quite some time ago.

Was quite tempted to pick up The Cars, but for them I think that the Greatest Hits would treat me better. Also wanted to finally get my hands on the Kill Bill soundtrack, but it was something absurd like $20-ish.

Ah well, maybe next weekend.

Was quite tempted to pick up The Cars, but for them I think that the Greatest Hits would treat me better.

Yep. Unless you're really a hardcore fan (which I'm pretty sure you're not), the Complete Greatest Hits set that runs for about $13 or $14 will be everything you need. Especially considering that I believe 6 tracks off the first album are on there.

Was quite tempted to pick up The Cars, but for them I think that the Greatest Hits would treat me better.

Yep. Unless you're really a hardcore fan (which I'm pretty sure you're not), the Complete Greatest Hits set that runs for about $13 or $14 will be everything you need. Especially considering that I believe 6 tracks off the first album are on there.

Ah, really? Well then, I'll definitely pick that up.

I DID really like the cover to the self-titled album for some reason though... I dunno, it just sort of drew me in. But if the Best Of's got half of the tracks and most of anything else good the band did, then I'm in.

Ah, really? Well then, I'll definitely pick that up.

I DID really like the cover to the self-titled album for some reason though... I dunno, it just sort of drew me in. But if the Best Of's got half of the tracks and most of anything else good the band did, then I'm in.

Just make sure you get Complete greatest hits, the one with about 22 tracks that came out in...2001, I think. The older compilation from the mid-80s is missing a lot.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I'm buying all of Nile's CDs so I've got legit copies.

First up.... In Their Darkened Shrines, the only CD in the store....

Have you heard Amongst the Catacombs... yet?

I think the best way to get Nile's stuff is to do it with the more recent stuff, and work back. They've seriously progressed as a band, but the early stuff is still lacerating and heavy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Well, I finished City at school yesterday, while my Geometry teacher went on and on about his favorite number. good shit.

Also, the "Concise" track list:

21st Century Schizoid Man

Epitaph

In the Court of the Crimson King [Abridged]

Cat Food [Abridged]

Ladies of the Road

Starless [Abridged]

Red

Fallen Angel

Elephant Talk

Frame By Frame

Matte Kudesai

Heartbeat

Three of a Perfect Pair

Sleepless

At this poitn, my favorite tracks on the CD are 21st Century, Cat Food, Elephant Talk, and Three of a Perfect Pair. Pretty good stuff on the whole disk, but I havent gotten the time to just listen to all of it at once.

That's a pretty excellent selection, really.

You however need to get Three of a Perfect Pair if you like these guys..even just a little. Fripp's guitar and Belew's vocals just blend together into this beautiful melodic vibration throughout, which is paced wonderfully with contemplative instrumentals, and free flowing rhythms. It's also frighteningly catchy in places. Namely "Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt. III," "Sleepless," and "Man with an Open Heart."

The full versions of those abridged tracks are available on:

In the Court of the Crimson King

In the Wake of Poseidon, and

Starless and Bible Black

All of which are the ungodly shit..

I'm buying all of Nile's CDs so I've got legit copies.

First up.... In Their Darkened Shrines, the only CD in the store....

Have you heard Amongst the Catacombs... yet?

I think the best way to get Nile's stuff is to do it with the more recent stuff, and work back. They've seriously progressed as a band, but the early stuff is still lacerating and heavy.

Yeah, I've got all their CDs on CD-R.....I just want to be supportive and actually pay for the CDs. So, I'm buying any Nile CD they have in stock.

Thus far, I've only seen ITDS in stores.