TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Black Tiger

Favorite ECW show

Guest Black Tiger

I was going through my tapes to find my Guilty as Charged 1999 PPV for a review, I got to thinking about how great ECW used to be. What is everyone's favorite ECW show (be it PPV, Home Video release, or just television program)?

Mine is Hardcore Heaven '96, 1996 is my favorite ECW year (hell I just dropped a good chunk of change to complete my collection of ECW Home Videos from that year) because that's when ECW started to veer away from the garbage style and try to go for more workrate.

Terry Gordy vs Raven (only ECW match I've ever ranked *****) still holds up well and the whole arena is going nuts watching Raven "get his". Even knowing the finish, I still mark out for it.

Chris Jericho vs Pit Bull #2 (****1/2) watch as Jericho takes PB2 to a great match, something Douglas couldn't do at Barely Legal

Sabu vs RVD (****1/4) sure its a spot fest, but it's still a damn good match.

Wrestlepalooza 97...while it may not have the best matches, the drama with Raven/Dreamer is just great and I like the deal with Kronus vs The Dudleys at the end. Plus Taz vs Shane, 3 minute challenge.

And for Van Dam/Sabu I like Hostile City 96 better.

ECW on TNN was great in its short run it had one of my favorite matches of all time Super Crazy vs Tajiri in a Mexican Deathmatch. The table spots were sick.........especially the one with Tajiri doing the Double Stomp of the top rope twice because the table would not break.

Actually, I would say 95 had better workrate then 96. You had Malenko/Gurerro/Benoit, and towards the end of the year the Luchas came along. '96 is probably the best overall year though, as Heyman's storylines/bookings really had a chance to shine. Plus it was interesting to see how he would replace workers snatched by WCW.

Favorite Shows:

N2R '95

House Party '96

A Matter of Respect '96

The Doctor is In

Wrestlepalooza '97

Also I thought their TV show was great just about every week until TNN.

Guest Jimbo

Hostile City Showdown '96 *thumbs up*

Heatwave 98 is probably my favorite..Awesome + Tanaka = Markage of high degree

What was the name of the show that Brian Pillman showed up on and Cactus Jack wrestled his last ecw match?

Cactus Jack's last show was Big Ass Extreme Bash in 96...in a very good match against Mikey Whipwreck (my all time favorite)

Hostile City Showdown 95 Hands Down for me. The best ECW match ever, by far (Guerrero-Malenko), an early taste of ECW's hottest feud (Raven-Tommy), and a sick main event brawl with Cactus and Funk. This show was the shit.

Guest DR PHIL
Heat Wave '98. 'Nuff said.

And when was the RVD/Sabu Stretcher match? I LOVE that match. Was it Hostile City Showdown '96, or WrestlePalooza '97?

Neither, I think it was Hardcore heaven 96, great show.

QUOTE (deancoles411 @ Jan 30 2004, 08:27 PM)

What was the name of the show that Brian Pillman showed up on and Cactus Jack wrestled his last ecw match?

I'm pretty sure brian pillman shows up on cyberslam 96.

Wasn't the RVD/Sabu Stretcher Match on The Doctor Is In?

And I have an ECW TV DDV with some of Hostile City Showdown 95 on it. That Eddie/Malenko was just so fuckin' good. Plus the Sandman angle they started that night (Sandman isn't a wrestler, he doesn't deserve the wrestling title) is one of my ECW faves.

Guest Super Leather

My favorite complete ECW show that I've seen is Heat Wave '98. The Awesome/Tanaka match is the one I like the most on the card, with the FTW death match at second. The promos by RVD and the Dudleys are good for different reasons. Hell, I even got into the matches with Justin Credible and Chris Candido, and that's hard for me to do.

Barely Legal...I really liked it when I saw it on PPV, but now that I have a DVD of it, I think it really sucks. I only like the Sabu/Taz match for Fonzie's heel turn at the end, and the Shane Douglas/Pitbull 2 match for some reason. Wrestlepalooza '97 has some good dramatic stuff but the matches aren't so great most of the time. Anarchy Rulz '99 is decent enough, but I just can't stand the "match" involving Simon Diamond and company, at least until New Jack comes out and tries to kill everybody. They ought to have New Jack do that and nothing more in WWE...end bad matches by nailing people with toasters.

As for the comps?

Gotta go with Path of Destruction. RVD/Bam Bam for the TV title, Sabu/Sandman in the stairway to hell match, Ian/Axl's Tai Pei death match, a Jerry Lynn/Tajiri/Super Crazy 3-way, the last ECW match with Malenko and Guerrero, and the ECW TV debuts of Rey Misterio and Psicosis? Hell yah.

Deep Impact comes in second. I don't like Awesome/Justin vs. Lynn/Tanaka very much, nor am I really all that into Funk/Sandman vs. Cactus/Douglas. I would have been more into a Cactus/Funk brawl instead. In fact, I always skip past Mikey/Sandman/Austin too, come to think of it. Francine/Beulah? Let's not even talk about that. All the other matches I like a lot, and the extra with the Beulah/Fonzie match is just great to watch for the insane amount of blood squirting from Alfonzo's head.

RVD/Lynn and Awesome/Tanaka are the only two reasons to have Extreme Evolution, unless you get the DVD for a shitty shot of Spike getting powerbombed through the flaming tables. I liked half of the stuff on Hardcore History...Benoit/Malenko tag teaming, Rey/Juvie; and while I wasn't sure what to expect from the Dreamer/Brian Lee scaffold match, I figured a brawl around the arena would make sense to try getting the crowd into it. I dunno...from what I've seen of scaffold matches, it's a good idea in theory and a crappy one in practice.

That's what I've seen and also own, aside from individual matches downloaded.

Guest Real F'n Show

My favorite shows are:

Hardcore Heaven 2000 (just because I was there front row)

Heat Wave '98

Anarchy Rulz '99

Hostile City Showdown '95

Massacre on 34th Street (very underrated show IMO)

and finally Cyberslam '99 (which has a kickass Lynn/Tajiri match, and a suprisingly awesome Douglas/Credible match, plus Crazy/Mosco in a crazy spotfest, and TAKA almost killing Essa Rios with a missile dropkick and Michinoku driver)

Favorite shows I have ever seen were shows I witnessed live. ECW live shows kick the ass of any other promotions live shows, including WWF, WCW and TNA.

Heat Wave 1998

Heat Wave 1999

Anarchy Rulz 1999

November to Remember 1999

November to Remember 2000

ECW on TNN taping from Toledo (1st tv taping with spike getting driven through tables)

ECW on TNN taping from Cincy (Dreamer/Tanaka win tag titles from Impact players)

I saw all of those shows live and all of them kick my ass. My ass was literally sore the next day, that is how much ass they kicked, or I just sat on a cactus. You decide.

ECW on TNN taping from Toledo (1st tv taping with spike getting driven through tables)

6th row asile. Fun show, you can hear me marking out for Corino on the fancam.

Good show but not as good as the one they did May 2000 in Toledo. The Feb 2000 show was so-so.

6th row asile. Fun show, you can hear me marking out for Corino on the fancam.

Good show but not as good as the one they did May 2000 in Toledo. The Feb 2000 show was so-so.

You know,eventually I need to start getting the Michigan/Toledo fancam shows we went to from you. And some other stuff. I know you need the money,you whore...

and those figures.And besides some of the ones already mentioned, I always enjoyed House Party 99.

House Party 99 was solid front to back...Buh Buh and D-Von as P.E. is just great.

Damn, forgot that one. I love that show...The Dudleyz were actually funny, which is a rarity nowadays. The matches are pretty damn solid as well.

I remember from the Cincy show I starting talking to one of the atlas security guys during the intermission. I asked him if Sabu was going to be there, this was during the Sabu-WCW controversy. He had appeared the night before but I was not sure whether or not he would show up. The atlas guy said he was gone, first match after intermission a jobber comes to the ring and then a distinctive beat hits, it was Sabu. Why in the hell did that atlas security guy lie to me? I believe that was either the last or second to last Sabu appearance in ECW. Perhaps that is why I like that particular show.

I totally forgot about Cyberslam '96 which a lot of people say featured a ***** between Sabu/2 Cold Scorpio and is almost considered a hidden gem cause no one knows about it.

And the Stretcher match was at The Doctor is In.

November To Remember 1995

That show was great.

The return of Sabu, the debut of the Blue Meanie, Rey vs. Psicosis in a mexican death match, Taz turning heel, Mikey Whipwreck beating Steve Austin and Tommy Dreamer & Terry Funk vs. Raven & Cactus Jack in a wild brawl that was supposed to be Funk's last ever match.

Man that was a great show and my first look at ECW. Brilliant!

Guest Mr. Adam

There's a few I recently watched which I enjoyed quite a lot.

Big Ass Extreme Bash in 1996 is actually quite solid for what it is. Cactus's last ECW match, Rey/Juvi, New Jack's opening promo (I watched Nitro...I gotta admit... I jacked off that night). It's all somewhat good.

Guilty As Charged 99 is also not a suckfest. RVD/Storm is great about ***1/2 and everything else is at the very least watchable. The Taz/Douglas main is pretty decent too besides the obligatory fighting in the crowd stuff.

HeatWave 98 is possible the best ECW show of 98. The RVD/Sabu vs. Shinzaki/Hayabusa match is (botched)spot-acular. Some rope running segments with RVD and Hayabusa were BRUTAL to watch. Credbile/Lynn is a really good opener with a fucking bitching finisher. Awesome/Tanaka is tremendous fun and Storm/Candido was good enough by Candido's standards. Douglas sucks as a colour commentator by the way. And Francine should keep her mouth closed at all times.

But yeh, they're the last halfway decent ECW shows I've seen in the last while. TempleCom in Dublin is selling them at like 7 quid each which is pretty sweet when an ECW DVD in HMV costs roughtly 30.

As a footnote, it might seem like I'm ragging on ECW for no reason but I only got started with ECW around the end of 99 so the context can be somewhat lost on me in parts.