TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Man in Blak

Time to Mercy-kill NHB

A quote from Hardcore Discussion:

Funny how the majority of the topics in this folder are about how awful this board is or how insert-poster-here is going to save the board. Boring.

You seen it. You know you've thought it. And you had to know that it was coming. Again.

I think that the mods at TSM should consider closing Hardcore Discussion.

Yeah, I see the irony. I realize that waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, I was one of the people championing the return of the flaming folder. Of course, back when we were pushing for it, we were doing it on the assumption that

A) Anything and everything would be allowed

B) People posting there would be witty as well as funny

But I think it's plain to see that neither of those have come to fruition...nor are they going to arise anytime soon.

No Holds Barred/Hardcore Discussion will never be what the Flaming Folder was at the Smarksboard. We know that now. The fact that so many rules have been placed upon the folder says that even you, the mods of TSM, know this now. Even when there's been choice flame wars or occasional glimpses of hilarity, a loud section of TSM has been clamoring for NHB to be closed just because of the sheer stupidity of it all.

The flaming folder could have been a fun, "uncensored" part of the community. Now it's just a jizz-encrusted wasteland of UGS "feuds" and loveletters from PBPs. It's a glorified troll playground, where half of the threads are spent complaining about how Hardcore Discussion sucks in the first place.

Yes, I know the common defense is that "if you don't like it, then don't go in there", but the negative effects of NHB reach farther than just irritating the community here. With the board barfing up SQL errors on a weekly basis due to memory errors and network problems, you've got to drop the bomb somewhere and you might as well blow up the forum that causes you the most problems with very little gain.

Move the "classic" threads into the classic threads section, if people are really clamoring for it. Many of the random discussions present there would be right at home in General Chat. And, if people feel the need to do all of the crazy shit that they used to do in NHB, they can go somewhere else (like UGS or even WDI, for example). Considering that you're worried about over-crowding (the registration cutoff), the loss of a couple of people - people who add absolutely nothing to the rest of the board - isn't going to hurt any.

Hardcore Discussion exists to give posters an excuse to act like morons and drain board resources in the process...and TSM needs neither of those.

Just pull the plug and let everybody move on.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I gotta agree unfortunetly.

We ARE acting like morons and it's pretty pathetic

Guest Krazy Karter

I want them to close it and put the entire folder within the "TSM Classics" folder (or within a new "Defunct Folders" folder).

The same should have been done with the food forum, but some idiot merged it with General Chat...

Appreciate the sentiment, but the folder will only be revived in another format. Don't bother.

WDI.

Just merge it with GC, rename the folder "The Junk Drawer" or something, and be done with it. Message boards shouldn't "require" a folder for people to act stupid in, especially if it isn't entertaining to everyone else.

Just merge it with GC, rename the folder "The Junk Drawer" or something, and be done with it. Message boards shouldn't "require" a folder for people to act stupid in, especially if it isn't entertaining to everyone else.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Of course, posts won't count in there.

Dames

Well, I have to say, I'm against this idea. There's a lot of the same in there, true; but there's also fun little threads that pop up from time to time, little nothing threads that aren't malicious or dramatic or anything, but they are stupid, and if NHB was closed, I wouldn't have a place to put those threads. WDI, sure. But I also like perusing the "content" folders here. However, without being able to just cut loose and type up some nonsense, I dunno if I'd have the impetus to keep coming back. I know there's the OAOAST, but I treat that separately from the rest of the board. In any case, NHB is basically my impetus to come here. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but it's the best way I can explain it. At the very least, change it to something like "Stupid Nonsense" or some such. But even if it is worthless, I don't see how it being here is so horribly awful, and it does give us a place to be just plain silly.

Of course, I'd love it if more people came to WDI, but I'm not one to recruit or force the issue. Nor is that really here or there -- it just seemed to fit in the discussion. Anyway, my two cents.

Well, I have to say, I'm against this idea.  There's a lot of the same in there, true; but there's also fun little threads that pop up from time to time, little nothing threads that aren't malicious or dramatic or anything, but they are stupid, and if NHB was closed, I wouldn't have a place to put those threads.

Yes you would, that's pretty much what a folder like The Junk Drawer would be for: threads that don't really fit any of the other folders, or ones that are just for shits and giggles. I enjoy some of those dumb threads too, but a folder name like "No Holds Barred" and "Hardcore Discussion" just doesn't sound right; it kind of invites people to flame and be mean spirited.

And any thread in and other folder that gets off-topic or just dumb, it can be moved there, or, as the mods will be required to say every time, "I'm tossing this one in the Junk Drawer." (OMG PUN~!)

Although I don't frequent the Hardcore board (It really should be no holds barred in regards to what can be said, imo), I fear that if it were to be closed the stupidity of contents would be spread to other folders.

Keep it isolated...

If you merge GC and HD, then it'll just be the randomness of HD along with the content of GC. I'm all for that, provided rules on talking shit and getting off topic are still lax.

Either that or relocate the folder to WDI.

Although I don't frequent the Hardcore board (It really should be no holds barred in regards to what can be said, imo), I fear that if it were to be closed the stupidity of contents would be spread to other folders.

Keep it isolated...

It's already spread.

Take a look at the WWE folder and you pretty much see the virus known as "Ignormus Idiocious". Then again it can not be assertained if the WWE folder contracted the virus from NHB or whether the WWE folder was the host of the virus and let it spread to NHB.

Keep it isolated...

It's already spread.

Take a look at the WWE folder and you pretty much see the virus known as "Ignormus Idiocious". Then again it can not be assertained if the WWE folder contracted the virus from NHB or whether the WWE folder was the host of the virus and let it spread to NHB.

It's good to know that in your attempts to put down others as being ignorant, you got the Linnean name structure wrong. It should be Ignormus idiocious.

Wait, that just makes me feel like a geek. Bugger.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I don't really find NHB/Hardcore folder entertaining anymore since all the posters who piss off 90% of the board have been banned. So I wouldn't mind seeing it merge with General Chat (another folder I rarely visit)

My only concern is that if it merged with GC, or even if such a "junk drawer" folder were created, some of the real nonsense posts wouldn't be tolerated. That bothers me, since these usually aren't malicious and I can't see how they hurt things. But if I knew I could step into GC or this new folder and ramble about snow or my sandals, that'd be just fine. The "I'm here to save the board" and "you suck" threads can take a flying leap for all I care.

Rando, that thread was awesome. It's also a great example of what I'm talking about.

Guest Bottled Black
I had a pretty good thread in there.... for a while anyway. I guess.

Or not.

You mean Roomies? Any word on Episode 2?

I've always thought the quality in such a forum comes and goes in cycles (or at least felt it has in my time here). It has been quite good in the past, it's pretty bad right now. It will lift eventually (and yes, the whole "work the board" thing and then "why do you take this all so seriously, you loser!" is all irritating and stupid). But I think leave it there and give it time. Eventually it should pick itself up again.

That said, why aren't new registrations allowed? I think they should be, because what we need right now are some new posters in that folder because that's half the problem. Hardcore Discussion can grow stale very easily if nothing new is added.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Y'all take this too seriously. You take me too seriously, you take this all too seriously. Lighten up.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Indeed.

After thinking about this awhile....

The only reason people say "this is not a rok" over and over again is because people keep obsessing over the fact that it might be a work.

If it;s anyone's fault that HD sucks it's the people who obsess over the fighting not those who fight.

HD may suck right now but in a month's time it will be good agian, then it'll suck again, then get better.

Messageboards are just like Wrestling and life. They have good times and bad times. And bailing on a forum that has brought us some damn good moments would be akin to bailing on wrestling because it's in a bad phase.

Leave HD alone. The people who whine about sucking should either:

A. STAY THE FUCK OUT

B. (This is radical) BRING THE CONTENT. put up or shut up.

A. STAY THE FUCK OUT

Or just apply your energy to something a little more substantial like solving world peace or find a cure for cancer.

Keep it isolated...

It's already spread.

It's good to know that in your attempts to put down others as being ignorant, you got the Linnean name structure wrong. It should be Ignormus idiocious.

Wait, that just makes me feel like a geek. Bugger.

...actually, I was trying for sarcasm and not really meaning to try to kkk down, cause like, I like kkk.

...I suck at sarcasm. I need to add a sarcasm tag or something because ugh...

Oh, and why are you correcting me for Ignormus Idiocius? You mentioned that I spelt it wrong, yet you spelt exactly like how I did, but with a lower case i. Does it really make that much of a big deal?

A. STAY THE FUCK OUT

Or just apply your energy to something a little more substantial like solving world peace or find a cure for cancer.

Finding a cure for world peace?

Guest FrigidSoul

A. STAY THE FUCK OUT

Or just apply your energy to something a little more substantial like finding a cure for cancer.

that's not too difficult, all they have to do is ban ya

A. STAY THE FUCK OUT

Or just apply your energy to something a little more substantial like finding a cure for cancer.

that's not too difficult, all they have to do is ban ya

I knew I was important, but I never knew my banning was the cure for cancer.

Anyway, have a fun time on your computer tonight burning the midnight oil...I wish I could say I was envious....