TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

SWF Lockdown Card February 25

Guest Aecas

*sexes up Janus to make him feel better then*

And thank you King I will be sure to keep that in mind ;)

I think calling it the Light-Heavyweight title just sounds ugly. Cruiserweight Championship just has a better ring to it IMO. Even the WWE dropped the LHW in favor of the CW.

Random note... LHW is probably more wrong, seeing as that's the 205lb category in wrestling and MMA :) in the flexible world of boxing Cruiserweight has a slightly higher weight limit to LHW though the two REALLY overlap (as it does in lucha, where it goes Welter, Middle, Light Heavy, Cruiser, Heavy) so it's probably more right.

The title is supposed to be the equivalent of the Olympic 100kg weight division, Kurt Angle's. Weight limit for that is 220.7lbs, and that's the... umm... I dunno ask Tom :) I'm pretty sure that's heavyweight and anything bigger would be superheavy or free weight.

Of course if we're supposed to be Smarks it should be the Jr. Heavyweight, like it is in Japan

Of course this could ALL be wrong - your mileage may vary.

I like cruiserweight though.

Yeah, can there actually be some clarification on the weight limit for the Cruiser title (and Cruiserweight sound SO much better than Light-Heavyweight, btw). I mean is it 220lbs, 225lbs or what?

It's not entierly accurate (not accurate at all, actually, just looking at Va'aiga's post), but CC's been calling the limit 230lbs. Fudged, but 220 means there's about three people in the division, and 225 means there's another three or so who are just a couple pounds over the limit.

-Z

230lbs sounds sensible. And I should hope you consider yourself a Cruiser at 225 Rando, after all you did challenge for the damn thing...

The title is supposed to be the equivalent of the Olympic 100kg weight division, Kurt Angle's. Weight limit for that is 220.7lbs, and that's the... umm... I dunno ask Tom :) I'm pretty sure that's heavyweight and anything bigger would be superheavy or free weight.

Kurt's weight class doesn't exist anymore. The 1996 Atlanta Olympics, where Kurt won, had 10 weight classes. By Sydney 2000, they were down to 8, replacing the 198 and 220 classes with 213. By Athens 2004, it's now down to 7, with a 96 kg/211-pound class.

The only class that's referred to by name anymore is technically called the superheavyweight class, which is used interchangeably with heavyweight since heavyweight doesn't refer to anything and is the biggest weight class in boxing. In the 70s it was unlimited, leading to such abominations as the 450-pound Chris Taylor (who later competed for the AWA) and such reasonably-proportioned competitors as the teddy-bearish 300-pound Bruce Baumgartner (who was the US's opening ceremony flagbearer in 1996, seen here executing a footsweep badly). It later got trimmed down to 130 kilos or 286 pounds, where it stayed for a long time. The US has traditionally used a 275-pound limit, but increased that to 285 in college when the other weights received a 7-pound allowance following the deaths of several wrestlers from cutting weight (although the seven-pound allowance only encourages wrestlers 10 pounds over the old limit to cut three extra pounds). It's now down to 264.

EDIT: To clarify, the college limit is 285. The international limit was cut to 264 when they reshuffled the eight down to seven in order to make the medal limit to include the women, who onyl get four weights.

Yeah, but junior heavyweight championship always sounds like it should only ever be competed for by people under 23 or something.

Whatever - I'm not getting the belt anytime soon, so I don't really care...

(5pm PCT, 7pm EST; check local listings)

hm... just noticed this... is it 5 Pacific, or 7 Eastern... because you're missing a Time Zone in there. 5 Pacific is 8 Eastern, and 7 Eastern is 4 Pacific. So Thoth... which one is it?

Are you sure? 7 Pacific doesn't jibe with any of the times actually given on the card. I corrected the time difference before I saw this post, so the card reads 5 Pacific and 8 Eastern.