TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Albums you regret getting after you bought them

Guest Brian

What albums have you bought, even once loved, that you just absolutely hate now? The albums that hang around in your collection but don't get listened to, the bad decisions. Everyone pre-Napster has one.

For me, it's 'Frampton Comes Alive'. I can't even stand it anymore. I bought it in the 8th grade, then ended up going to Garfield High School, where Jimi was an alum and started working with a guy who played with him, and discovered what shit Frampton was spewing.

Basically anything I bought from the age of 13 to a couple years ago. As a rule of thumb, early teens have some of the worst taste in music, so while I have a couple CDs that I still enjoy popping into the disc player now and then, I hang my head in shame when I look at the majority of my CD collection. All the garbage you'd expect a teen to listen to is there: I.C.P., Limp Bizkit, Pantera, etc.

I've also got a lot of CDs that while are considered good by some, I personally just grew out of. I'm not much into the Beastie Boys anymore, despite having a few of their albums. Same goes for groups like Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Korn and others. I'd gladly dump a lot of these, but I didn't take that great of care of most of them, so they'd likely be passed up if I tried to sell them.

I didn't buy many CDs from the age of 16 to now, as I relied heavily on the file-sharing programs, as well as just burning CDs from those who did buy the CDs. I've been buying more CDs lately and hopefully, I can eventually balance things out again between the crap and the good stuff. It's gonna take a while, though. I bought way too many CDs when I was into crappier music.

"The Other Side" by Godsmack. Decent songs, but even at the price I got it for it should be longer than 30 minutes. Also, a lot of the later day Rod Stewart stuff I have. I still absolutely love "Human" for whatever reason, but I'm going into "His only good music was done with mercury" mode. A few exceptions here and there of course, but a lot was generic pop shlock or got too sexual for my liking. Another one is the Tenchi Muyo In Love soundtrack. I got it hoping we'd get more anime soundtracks in my Best Buy, but it didn't help and I got stuck with a CD with very litlle worth my time. Impulse buying can be a bad thing. Oh, and that reminds me of another one. Andrea Bocelli's last album, Sentimentica or something. I LOVE the Tuscan Skies CD, but I just don't like his opera work as much.

I've traded most of my regreted stuff in, but there's a few still kicking around. Some ICP (though I can still listen to their first album), Dimmu Borgir after they got bad.

I also find I have a handful of cds that I have absolutely no recollection of buying, borrowing, or even listening to. For some reason I have every Limp Bizkit and Korn cd except their latest, and I have never listened to either of those bands.

Guest T®ITEC

311's From Chaos. I like three songs on that lousy thing, and every other track just runs together. Waste of time, effort, and money. Guess I should try getting one of their good albums next.

WWE Originals. God, I can't believe I bought that piece of shit.

And Masked Man, I like The Other Side! In fact I'm listening to it right now. Reminds me a lot of Alice In Chains' accoustic albums (yes, I know it's practically a direct ripoff, but being that AIC is one of my top 3 favorite bands, I have no problem saying I LIKE Godsmack, and have no problem with them taking a lot of Alice's style, since Layne is dead and Jerry is without a label, I think they make an excellent "cover" band so to speak only with their own original material. I just don't get all of the Godsmack hate out there. Definitely the best "new" band out there). So, yeah, I really like The Other Side. :)

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money

A great album, I just never ever listen to it. I paid 16 bucks for it when I coulda gotten some Mingus or something.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I bought this really horrible Neurosis collaboration with Jarboe. It's a real piece of crap that I still haven't sold or traded yet, despite never listening to it a second time. I won't, either. It sucked that bad.

Basically anything I bought from the age of 13 to a couple years ago. As a rule of thumb, early teens have some of the worst taste in music, so while I have a couple CDs that I still enjoy popping into the disc player now and then, I hang my head in shame when I look at the majority of my CD collection. All the garbage you'd expect a teen to listen to is there: I.C.P., Limp Bizkit, Pantera, etc.

What's the matter with Pantera?

Guest Jimbo

Every album I got before the age of 12...

I got this new CD player, however, being a little kid, I needed lots of CD's to be cool. Since the only CD's my parents would get were crap kiddy CD's, I convinced them to let me join on of those CD club things where you get a new catoouge each month, get 15 free cd's to sign up and join and everythign, etc.

Since I knew little, I just picked all the band sI knew.

Thus, I ended up with crappy Cardigan's, No Doubt cd's, a random Eric Clapton one (The "My Father's Eye's" one), old DMB junks, and plenty of other craptacular albums' from bands I had never really heard of, but I knew the names of. This continued on for a few more months whe I'd hear one song and then waste $20 on the album...

But the worst of all was a Kenny FUCKING G cd. :(

I knew the name, so I bought it. I listened to it for maybe a minute before turning it off, realizing that he only played the clarinet or whatever the fag does and ther ewas no signing, and haven't touched it since. It still pains me to this day.

Ever since then, I've bought very few cd's, all of which though I really like.

What's the matter with Pantera?

depends on what era of Pantera he has.

Glam Pantera

Good Pantera

Post Trendkill Pantera

I've got Far Beyond Driven and 101 Proof. I've also heard everything on Great Southern Trendkill. I had a few friends that liked them so I decided to give them a shot and even back then, I didn't quite care for them. Aside from a couple songs, most of their stuff sounded too similar for my tastes. Add in the fact that Phil Asemo's (sp?) voice is just garbage and I guess you could say I've never been much of a Pantera fan. I thought it was funny that when everyone started to say that they sucked a couple years back, their material for the most part was just like everything else they'd done.

Guest Adrian 3:16
I've got Far Beyond Driven and 101 Proof. I've also heard everything on Great Southern Trendkill. I had a few friends that liked them so I decided to give them a shot and even back then, I didn't quite care for them. Aside from a couple songs, most of their stuff sounded too similar for my tastes. Add in the fact that Phil Asemo's (sp?) voice is just garbage and I guess you could say I've never been much of a Pantera fan. I thought it was funny that when everyone started to say that they sucked a couple years back, their material for the most part was just like everything else they'd done.

I don't blame you for not feeling them then... you got the wrong albums. Trust me, Vulgar Display of Power is much better, Phil actually balances some singing in with the growling and there's more guitar solos. Cowboys From Hell is good to, if somewhat cheesey- Phil still loved to hit those high notes on that album.

'Trane I thought Legal Drug Money was a good album, but then I also got it along with about 8 other hip-hop albums for $25 from one of my boys who denounced his rap listening past and wanted to go exclusively metal. This guy also LOVES Pantera's latest albums and thinks its their best material, so you know he's got suspect taste...

the fact that you somehow expected it to NOT be a piece of shit really disturbs me.

'kid a' i bought the first week it came out, it gathered dust for a couple years & then i got rid of it. it's got some nice moments and at least one track of pure, unfiltered genius, but as a whole it just feels too sedated to engage me.

And Masked Man, I like The Other Side! In fact I'm listening to it right now. Reminds me a lot of Alice In Chains' accoustic albums (yes, I know it's practically a direct ripoff, but being that AIC is one of my top 3 favorite bands, I have no problem saying I LIKE Godsmack, and have no problem with them taking a lot of Alice's style, since Layne is dead and Jerry is without a label, I think they make an excellent "cover" band so to speak only with their own original material. I just don't get all of the Godsmack hate out there. Definitely the best "new" band out there). So, yeah, I really like The Other Side. :)

I kinda like The Other Side, I just think it should be way longer and the singer is doing overkill for an acoustic album.

Guest Nanks

Splinter - The Offspring

Life on Display - Puddle of Mudd

I love The Offspring, but I was totally devastated with this album. What crap. I refuse to acknowledge the last track so the album was less than half an hour. Bloody ridiculous

I also enjoyed Come Clean, but frankly wasn't sure Puddle of Mudd could replicate their efforts. I was right. Dreck.

unloco - Healing

I bought it after a friend of mine (whose music taste I trusted) said it was good. Now, the two or so tracks he had heard were okay...the rest was pretty blah.

I still trust his music taste, but I put it through more endurance tests before buying anything.

Ill nino's revolution

I second that. I've listened through it only once, and can only tolerate two tracks.

I'll also say:

Metallica - '...And Justice For All'. I'm a huge fan, and only purchased it for completeness sake, but the fact I prefer both 'Load' albums says a lot.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, their material changed pretty dramatically after Far Beyond Driven. Reinventing the Steel is their only post-glam cd that actively sucks donkey dick, but they were totally unmotivated going into that album, and in the process of breaking up, which they have thankfully gone through with. A fan with a passing interest really shouldn't bother with anything other than Vulgar Display of Power (which I still consider an excellent metal album), and Far Beyond Driven.

Oh, and every music fan, metal and non, should've seen Pantera live at least once. Everyone likes tits and beer and loud music, and that's what their shows are in spades.

Metallica - '...And Justice For All'. I'm a huge fan, and only purchased it for completeness sake, but the fact I prefer both 'Load' albums says a lot.

Yes, finally some one agrees with me on this.

well just Load, not Reload

Happy Mondays- Loads (haven't listened to it in years- went through a big "I love indie" phase until I turned 14, then realised I hated most of it)

Korn- Untouchables (listened to it twice- feel no need to listen to it again)

The Cranberries- From The Faithful Departed (title could well be wrong- I simply don't care about this album enough to remember)

Clawfinger- Deaf Dumb Blind (loved "The Truth", hated the rest of it)

Sonic Youth- Silver Sessions (I love Sonic Youth, but I didn't realise this album was just a wall of feedback remixed and looped for 30 minutes- bastards)

'Highly Evolved' The Vines.

Thirty.....fucking.....dollars.

UYI

Why the hell did you pay so much for it? I bought it for 8.77 or something at Wal-Mart when it first came out. I don't love the cd or anything, but wow...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, I've still got Korn's second album someplace. I can't even listen to it now, and the first one only gets a novelty chance every 3 years or so anymore.