TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Unlike other sports, where you know that a 6th seed usually has no chance in hell of ever being able to go far in the Playoffs, in Hockey, you do get those scenerios.

I wouldn't say that

Before Anaheim last year, the Western rep in the Cup final was almost always Colorado or Detroit for a good while, and the Devils were the only team from the East that could seem to win the cup.

The question is, though, will the potential SC final bring in some new people, eager to see fresh faces in the final, or will it drive people away because of the unfamiliar teams/names factor?

I would hope that some people would give it a shot, just to see the emergence of one of the biggest stars in the game for a long time to come in Jarome Iginla. He's been great.

Either series will be interesting. Philly will think that they can push around the smaller Flames forwards, which won't work, as that's what Detroit's power forwards tried. Tampa will use speed to get around Calgary's defense, which won't work, as Vancouver and San Jose found out. The SCF will be interesting to say the least. As it is now, I hope Tampa makes it, just because there would be a lot more excitement with end-to-end action.

I don't think it makes a difference who represents the East in the Cup; those of us that are going to watch it will watch it, and those people that wouldn't have watched it won't watch it anyways. The only difference might be who's more likely to draw a bigger local crowd, TB or Philly?

Congratulations to the Flames, and their fans. After so many years of mediocrity, it's good to see them not only making the playoffs but excelling all the way through. If it ends up being Calgary vs. Philly, I'll actually be rooting for the Flames.

Im really happy for the Flames Im going to be rooting for them in the finals over The Bolts or Flyers for sure.

Is this the first time since 1994, a Canadian team has made the Stanly Cup Finals?

I'll be rooting for Calgary if they play the Flyers. I wouldn't mind either Tampa Bay or Calgary winning.

If it does turn out to be Calgary/Tampa Bay that has to be the biggest suprise Stanly Cup finals ever.

Yes, Vern, Calgary's the first Canadian team to make the Cup since Vancouver in 1994 ... and if they win, first to win since Montreal in 1993. (it's crazy, from like 1985 - 1990, it was all Canadian Cup winners, yet since then there's only been 1.)

(it's crazy, from like 1985 - 1990, it was all Canadian Cup winners, yet since then there's only been 1.)

Might I also add that the only teams that won the cup in that span of time were from the province of Alberta?

No, I think I need not. :P

Did Montreal move out west sometime in the mid-80s and I forgot about it?

I'd think Western Canada would've noticed the stench by now

Maybe things have changed, but when I was growing up in Calgary cheering for the Oilers was a grievious sin.

Flik, are you from Edmonton?  I'm just curious how Oiler fans are taking this.  Are people from Edmonton cheering for the Flames or against the Flames?

Yup, Edmontonian. Yup, we aren't taking this well to see our counterparts tear the fuck up in the Playoffs. And last I checked, it still is a grievious sin to cheer Calgary if you are a true fan..

But as for myself, fuck it. We've finally got a Canadian making a damned run and even though I'm bitter that it is the Calgary Flames, I still would rather have a fucking Canadian team over the Americans winning the Cup.

General reaction around here is most people are happy we've finally got a Canadian team there and are cheering them on. Although, they are like me, and bitter.

However, if you check my posts from the beginning, you'll know I'm a huge Kipper fan (since going to the Flames) and I'm cheering him on, so I might as well cheer his team on.

You know, this whole "Canada's team" thing is such crap. On the cover of the Vancouver Province today, they had a giant picture of one of the Flames and the headline "Canada is going for the Cup!" or some such garbage. Hello, this isn't the Canadian national team. Half of the players on every team in the league are Canadian, and two of the three most important Flames are Finnish and American.

I don't mind the Flames at all, I was definately cheering for them against the Red Wings. But I do not get this crazy nationalistic fervor that has built up around them. The World Championships were a few weeks ago, and Canada getting to the gold medal game made the cover of nothing, yet the Flames make the cover of a Vancouver newspaper? Craziness.

I was really hoping the Sharks would score with 5 seconds left last game. They were a good team.

You know, this whole "Canada's team" thing is such crap. On the cover of the Vancouver Province today, they had a giant picture of one of the Flames and the headline "Canada is going for the Cup!" or some such garbage. Hello, this isn't the Canadian national team. Half of the players on every team in the league are Canadian, and two of the three most important Flames are Finnish and American.

We don't consider them the "Canadian Team".

I'm just fucking happy we've got a Canadian team competiting in the Stanley Cup Finals. I thought it wouldn't happen for at least another 5-10 years from now.

Hence why I'm happy we have one now.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

This Philly/Tampa game is tremendous.

Great crowd. Great teams. Great series. Tons of drama.

Who says hockey is dead?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Son of a bitch. Primeau does it AGAIN.

Oh well...Game 7 in Tampa Saturday night.

Admit it, the Flyers DESERVED to win that. They dominated Tampa from the opening faceoff of ovetime to the final goal.

Dominated is a strong word, Zsasz ... they played well, potentially even a bit stronger than TB, but I don't know if I'd use the word dominated there.

EDIT: I just re-read your post, and saw that you were referring to OT only ... I'd thought you meant the entire game (bell-to-bell). I take back my original statement, as I'll agree that Philly played a much stronger OT than Tampa did.

And am I the only one that thought, as soon as Primeau scored that game-tying goal, "if Tampa goes on to lose this series, Keith Primeau will be public enemy #1 in Tampa"? The same way that Red Sox fans say "Bucky Fucking Dent" it'll be Keith Fucking Primeau.

Primeau may end up PE #1 in Tampa, but he is our new god in Philly. And just two years ago everyone here hated him for running Barber out of town. No one has ever made a public image turnaround like that. Iverson should be taking notice.

From my own personal experience I didn't hate him for running Barber out of town (that was the team, he took the bullet). I hated him because he sucked. Do I even need to bring up the mantra the announcers had during last year's playoffs of "Primeau is the best player on the ice who hasn't got a point yet".

Very true.

He's been awesome so far, I'll give him credit, but in the past, he's been invisible when his team needed him the most.

The MENSA convention on ESPN last night was saying that even if the Flyers lost, Primeau would demand consideration for the Conn Smythe ... has anyone, ever, won the trophy even though they didn't play in the Cup finals? Because I think that's a dangerous precedent to start; what if a team loses in the 7th game of the second round, but their goalie's GAA in the games that they won was 0.00? Even though they didn't get to their Conference Finals, would he get consideration??

My three who would have a shot for each team would be Flames; Iginla, Kiprusoff, Gelinas. Flyers; Primeau, Esche, Kapanen. Lightning; LeCavalier, St. Louis, Khabibulin.

And I do not think that you should be able to win the Conn Smythe if you do not play in the Finals. Conn Smythe is the MVP of the playoffs. If you aren't valuable to bring your team to the next level, you don't deserve consideration for it. Plus, how would they reward it?

Your Stanley Cup is coming, Calgary, first, the Conn Smythe winner...Keith Primeau!! He played well for three rounds, but Philadelphia didn't advance

*Primeau comes on the ice in street clothes*

Thoughts on last night's game:

-Flyers looked like crap to start off. Their defense was awful.

-Lacavalier is just tremendous.

-Flyers start to get the puck in the offensive zone but show NO signs of being able to mount a consistent offense.

-Lightning defense gets REALLY strong.

-Both teams play standstill hockey, good defense, a few attacks.

-Flyers commit STUPID, STUPID penalty, leading to go-ahead goal for Lightning, heading into 2nd intermission.

-Flyers throw EVERYTHING at Lightning in third. Finally, Primeau steps up AGAIN and ties it.

-Crowd is loud, good stuff.

-Overtime: Few STUPID Flyers mistakes lead to odd-man rushes for Lightning, saved by quick defensive plays, bad passes or Esche's goaltending.

-Overtime: Flyers pick up the offense, crashing the board. Gagne keeps trying.

-Gagne sneaks it past Khabibulin after 2 bounces!

AMAZING GAME.

I was critical on the Flyers, but as a Philadelphia area native and fan since forever, they made WAY too many bad passes, shitty offensive attacks, and played with little energy for WAY TOO LONG in a "*must win* Game 6. They really got things going in the 3rd period and OT!

Hope this carries over to Game 7...which is gonna be a FIGHT.

Let's Go Flyers!

I thought that last night's game was sloppily played on both fronts. Bad D, bad goals, bad hockey. It was exciting for sure, but still sloppy.

You know, looking at both of these teams after last night's game, I must say that neither team looked like they should be playing for a shot at the Stanley Cup. It was just that bad of a game.

Then again, that's just one game. But simply, awful hockey played. Though, the best entertainment I've had from a hockey game in a while.

Thoughts on last night's game:

-Flyers looked like crap to start off. Their defense was awful.

-Lacavalier is just tremendous.

-Flyers start to get the puck in the offensive zone but show NO signs of being able to mount a consistent offense.

-Lightning defense gets REALLY strong.

-Both teams play standstill hockey, good defense, a few attacks.

-Flyers commit STUPID, STUPID penalty, leading to go-ahead goal for Lightning, heading into 2nd intermission.

-Flyers throw EVERYTHING at Lightning in third. Finally, Primeau steps up AGAIN and ties it.

-Crowd is loud, good stuff.

-Overtime: Few STUPID Flyers mistakes lead to odd-man rushes for Lightning, saved by quick defensive plays, bad passes or Esche's goaltending.

-Overtime: Flyers pick up the offense, crashing the board. Gagne keeps trying.

-Gagne sneaks it past Khabibulin after 2 bounces!

AMAZING GAME.

I was critical on the Flyers, but as a Philadelphia area native and fan since forever, they made WAY too many bad passes, shitty offensive attacks, and played with little energy for WAY TOO LONG in a "*must win* Game 6. They really got things going in the 3rd period and OT!

Hope this carries over to Game 7...which is gonna be a FIGHT.

Let's Go Flyers!

So are you going to post in the NFL threads again Eagle boy?

On topic. I enjoyed the game.