TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BoboBrazil

The Eugene Character Was Nick Dinsmore's Idea

Norman the Lunatic was a fat bastard so its not like there was a range of characters to draw from. It was either moron or hillbilly or monster fat guy.

Guest Anglesault
Anglesault, we've establishged that the Bashams bore the living shit out of you. It's all good, dude. But when they were here in OVW, they were putting on great matches left and right, giving actual coherent interviews, and their feud with Conway and Dinsmore lasted the better part of three years and kicked ass. Track down OVW tapes and watch them, especially the Iron Man tag they had. The Basham Brothers are boring as shit to you. Doug Basham and Damaja were an awesome team. Swear.

I just don't get how a supposedly great team could go so far south upon entering the WWE.

I mean to the point where they can't even be bothered tocreate double team moves.

Guest MrPhil28
Anglesault, we've establishged that the Bashams bore the living shit out of you. It's all good, dude. But when they were here in OVW, they were putting on great matches left and right, giving actual coherent interviews, and their feud with Conway and Dinsmore lasted the better part of three years and kicked ass. Track down OVW tapes and watch them, especially the Iron Man tag they had. The Basham Brothers are boring as shit to you. Doug Basham and Damaja were an awesome team. Swear.

I just don't get how a supposedly great team could go so far south upon entering the WWE.

I mean to the point where they can't even be bothered tocreate double team moves.

Haven't we established that there's a lot of guys out there who "dumb-down", so to speak, their styles upon entering the WWE? If you don't believe me, that's great. But I swear to you you'll see my point if you can get your hands on some OVW stuff. I think you can order some of their bigger shows off of ovwrestling.com, and I know there is a special OVW DVD called Before they were superstars that has some matches with these guys on it. Give it a chance, dude. Damn. :cheers:

Guest Anglesault

Haven't we established that there's a lot of guys out there who "dumb-down", so to speak, their styles upon entering the WWE?

Yes, but not to the ridiculous length that these guys apparently did.

Guest Askewniverse

AS, you should seriously track down some OVW tapes. Doug Basham and Damaja aren't as bad as you think. You shouldn't judge them solely on their WWE work. That would be like judging Ultimo Dragon solely by his WWE work (which hasn't been impressive so far).

A lot of OVW wrestlers seem to "dumb-down" when they get called up. A lot of OVW call-ups don't use some of their signature moves. Believe it or not, Randy Orton wasn't that bad in OVW. He had an awesome wheelbarrow suplex and a nice full nelson slam finisher.

WWE is sending out the following reply to fans who are sending in complaints regarding the Eugene character:

Thank you for your email to WWE. We have introduced a new character on WWE Monday Night RAW, Eugene Dinsmore. Eugene is a person with a mental disability. His dream is to become a professional wrestler.

WWE intends to portray the character of Eugene as a hero, as are the many people with disabilities around the world (many of whom are WWE fans) who must everyday face challenges to live the type of life many of us take for granted. Eugene, despite his disability, will get a chance to achieve his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. We hope that Eugene's story will encourage other people with disabilities to strive to achieve their dreams, whatever they may be.

Story background: In the recent edition of Monday Night RAW, viewers learned that Eric Bischoff, an underhanded schemer, has a nephew named Eugene. At the behest of Bischoff's sister, he has let his nephew Eugene join RAW to pursue his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. Bischoff tricks the despicable William Regal, a slimy, upper crust Englishman, to manage Eugene. Upon meeting Eugene and seeing he has a mental disability, Regal immediately complains about his task, similar to how many people who are uncaring and ignorant initially react to the mentally handicapped. However, Eugene will persevere and he ultimately will get his chance to perform in the ring. WWE is very grateful you took the time to contact us, and we thank you for your email.

Credit:411

Bwahahahahahahaha!

I don't feel sorry for Dinsmore anymore; I feel sorry for the other wrestlers. If they beat him, they just beat a "retard". If they lose, they lost to a "retard".

Stupid humans.

So Regal is "despicable," "slimy," and "ignorant?"

We hope that Eugene's story will encourage other people with disabilities to strive to achieve their dreams, whatever they may be.

Give me a break...

Guest deadbeater

You know what woiuld be cool?

If the Eugene character turns out to be an idiot savant, like 'Rain Man'.

You know what woiuld be cool?

If the Eugene character turns out to be an idiot savant, like 'Rain Man'.

Many others beat you to it. :P

Yeah, that would be a good way to run with it, but don't think WWE would do that.

AS, you should seriously track down some OVW tapes. Doug Basham and Damaja aren't as bad as you think. You shouldn't judge them solely on their WWE work. That would be like judging Ultimo Dragon solely by his WWE work (which hasn't been impressive so far).

A lot of OVW wrestlers seem to "dumb-down" when they get called up. A lot of OVW call-ups don't use some of their signature moves. Believe it or not, Randy Orton wasn't that bad in OVW. He had an awesome wheelbarrow suplex and a nice full nelson slam finisher.

I'm with you on this, Askewniverse. I've got a good collection of OVW tapes that I've bought from work and I've been more impressed with what I've seen on the tapes than anything I've seen from the Bashams on Smackdown or Rob Conway on RAW. Dinsmore is one hell of a talent as well...I just don't know if he'll be able to recover once Eugene runs it's course.

AS: Save up some dough, give me a call, and I'll send you some OVW that I think would change your tune.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Now that I've seen the show, I think that they over-stepped the mark with Nick Dinsmore's gimmick.

I can understand that they can't get rookies over without slapping a gimmick on them, but if he gets over, it will be out of pity. Besides, a gimmick like that will get only be treated like shit on-air.

Things can only go downhill from here.

See, this would be easily applauded as a good PR move by WWE. The problem is that they will undoubtedly end up turning it into a shock value gimmick and erasing any possible positive vibes they might ever get from making this kid hero. All for the sake of a cheap laugh.

You make an excellent point there, Thumbtack, very articulate and astute. You bring up a great perspective on the issue at hand, and I agree that this is a poor way to treat Zach Gowen.

Guest Trivia247

Like many here said about making Eugene a Savant of wrestling...

Imagine he is...Special but in the ring, he fights like a Puro wrestling Master... Crisp moves here and there, nice submissions etc etc

Like many here said about making Eugene a Savant of wrestling...

Imagine he is...Special but in the ring, he fights like a Puro wrestling Master... Crisp moves here and there, nice submissions etc etc

I think this might be the only way this gimmick can work.

I think this might be the only way this gimmick can work.

WWE might go the Rico route with Eugene, knowing them, which in Eugene's case would be more retardedness instead of homophobe acts in his matches and not enough wrestling.

So WWE calls up Nick Dinsmore, but yet they didn't have anything for him. WWE amazes me.

So WWE calls up Nick Dinsmore, but yet they didn't have anything for him. WWE amazes me.

Honestly, did you expect any more?

The main problem that I have here is that this gimmick CAN NOT open any more doors for Nick Dinsmore other than "comedy" match workers and "comedy" backstage skits.

That pisses me off.

I was at the RAW house show tonight and Eugene had a "match" with A-Train that was basically A-Train dominating, while Eugene kept going back to the torn stuffed Easter Bunny that A-Train had destroyed before the match. Eugene had minimal offense (all punching and the like) and eventually won, after A-Train knocked himself out and Eugene was just leaning up against him as he put his attention on the torn Easter Bunny. If you guys were expecting him to actually bring it in the ring, prepare to be disapointed, if the house shows are any indication.

The great thing is down in OVW when someone is brought in. They are brought in as someone important and Cornette always has something for people.

In the "major" leagues of the WWE no one has a clue what's going on.

Honestly, did you expect any more?

Well, I would have expected the WWE to have a shitty gimmick ready for him at least. They didn't even have that. :huh:

I was at the RAW house show tonight and Eugene had a "match" with A-Train that was basically A-Train dominating, while Eugene kept going back to the torn stuffed Easter Bunny that A-Train had destroyed before the match. Eugene had minimal offense (all punching and the like) and eventually won, after A-Train knocked himself out and Eugene was just leaning up against him as he put his attention on the torn Easter Bunny. If you guys were expecting him to actually bring it in the ring, prepare to be disapointed, if the house shows are any indication.

Yeah, that is crap. If that's all that WWE have in store for Nick Dinsmore, then he should've stayed in OVW.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
the many people with disabilities around the world (many of whom are WWE fans)

:mellow: ---> :blink: ---> :angry:

I know they don't think highly of the audience, but cmon.

I know a number of mentally challenged people who watch wrestling.

I don't have a problem with the gimmick yet. I think it's beyond stupid to jump all over something after only seeing maybe 5 minutes of him on one episode of Raw. It'll take more than that before I make any solid judgement. There has been plenty of "wrestlecrap" that's turned out to be decent.

As bad as Eugene is, people are talking about it, so in the WWE's eyes, this is a success. It won't help Dinsmore. I mean, they completely stomped on Gowen when his story was gold.

Because the idea was originally Dinsmore's, I think he was stupid to come up with it, even if he knew that WWE would take such an idea. But I place more stupidity on WWE, for not only letting the idea fly, but also for having nothing for him in the first place.

The WWE e-mail is a cookie-cutter response, basically they are telling you how you are supposed to react to the story. Anyone who got that e-mail should send it back and rip it apart. The very idea that we are supposed to see Eugene, as a hero after he was basically comic relief in his debut is a good place to start. WWE seems to forget that the stereotype is that mental illness is a joke and something to be laughed at, when in fact it is NOT a joke. Teaming Dinsmore with a heel like Regal only foreshadows this act becoming comic relief with Eugene doing something funny "unintentionally" and Regal getting mad, impatient, or whatever until the fans start booing the hell out of it, or Dinsmore is run out of the company. Seeing as how Goldust and Gowen were given disabilities and then promptly shown the door, I am not looking forward to this angle in the slightest.