TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

Once upon a time... Smackdown > RAW

Remember when we all bowed down to Smackdown and bitched about RAW? It looks like those days have changed? What do you think was the defining moment showing right now that RAW is dominaing Smackdown?

For me, it was the couple weeks from WM to the re-draft. Up to that point, I found pretty much every SD more enjoyable than Raw (except for a few shows here & there). After the draft, SD lost it. I hate Bradshaw, the Dudleyz (all 3), and I'm not particularly fond of RVD - since the redraft, all of those guys got prominant spots on SD. Combine that w/ Rikishi/S2H holding the tag belts, TWGTT being split up leaving Haas doing nothing, no Brock, no Angle (except for GM) - SD has just been flat.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

Or WWE focusing all their energy on making RAW better...........

Moving RVD and Booker T to SD yet Bradshaw gets the title shot instead...

Shelton Benjamin beats Triple H, on Raw showing that younger guys with a lot of potential can get proper pushes and look like stars, and the right booking decisions will be made from time to time.

And then on Smackdown, Bradshaw is main eventing, Charlie Haas is working against RVD every week for no apparent reason, and Spike Dudley is the new star of the Cruiser division.

Shelton Benjamin beats Triple H, on Raw showing that younger guys with a lot of potential can get proper pushes and look like stars, and the right booking decisions will be made from time to time.

Both Randy and Shelton have the same push but seriously neither were ready. Randy screws up his finisher and Shelton needs help on promos.

Guest Adrian 3:16

I've actually like Raw better for quite a while now- better characters and storylines.

But I would always try to catch Benoit on Smackdown. When they lost him, that was nail in the coffin.

Smackdown, at this point, is too boring for me to even watch. I like Eddie, but I don't love him the way I do Benoit. I loved Angle, but he's not wrestling now. I like Big Show, I like Cena (even though they're toning him down too much), and that's about it really. Booker and RVD are too far gone for me to care about anymore, and everyone else I really like is on Raw (Shelton, Rhyno, Tajiri).

I honestly would have no problem if they dumped the few guys I like on Raw and pull the plug on Smackdown at this point. Its that bad.

And Shelton's promos are just fine far as I can tell...

Cena is way too much of a crowd whore for my liking these days.

Especially with that lame-ass Deez Nuts line.

Smackdown went down for me when Benoit left, mostly, but Bradshaw in the main events and Angle not wrestling isn't helping much either.

Maybe we should change the WWE forum's description. Here's the old one... "Come here to discuss the latest Smackdown, or bitch about the latest Raw."

Moving RVD and Booker T to SD yet Bradshaw gets the title shot instead...

Making Book say that SD is the minor leagues and having RVD as a clueless pothead idiot , but the biggest insult is JBL as a main eventer.

To me the big problem with Smackdown is that since the draft they have spent too much time on the Raw guys and Bradshaw. Instead of getting a great cruiserweight match like the four way on Velocity, we had the Dudley Boyz bore us to death, Bradshaw on for 20 minutes and Spike getting squashed be a generic hoss.

Smackdown arguably has the three most over wrestlers in the company(U.T., Eddie and Cena), yet one hasn't been on T.V., one hasn't wrestled the past two weeks and the other is having 2 minute squash matches with jobbers. Give them something decent to do and things would be ok.

Hopefully this week's show will be better with RVD vs. Booker T and Chavo vs. Nunzio. Give these matches time, have the Undertaker finally show up, and have Eddie wrestle a match and the show might be watchable.

Guest Anglesault

Personally, I think everything went to shit in October 2003, when the Bashams got the tag belts.

Even during some REALLY bad World title and main event storylines, the tag belts and tag champions and all their matches were keeping SD!'s head above water.

And then they give the belts to the most heatless, boring tag team in the company and watch them destroy everything Angle/Benoit, Edge/Rey, Los Guerreros, WGTT and Eddy/Tajiri did for those belts.

Benoit jumping ship was really the difference. Lesnar leaving and Angle going out destroyed the Smackdown main event scene.

Raw's just been utlizing their talent better and also they have more of it.

The main event scene has been pretty solid from top to bottom.

HHH/HBK/Benoit has been entertaining, although it's not an overly hot feud or anything

Foley/Orton has been good

Jericho/Christian has been good

And then you have Edge v.s. Kane, which isn't good but is appealing because it's a return.

You've got Benjamin a guy they've pushed pretty well.

Flair/Batista are holding down the tag belts and even though they're not a *great* team, they're over and people care when they lose the belts. Orton is a good IC champ.

I mean, even with Foley leaving, you're going to have a hard time screwing that main event/midcard scene up for a while.

They're set for a while as they can feud any of the 8 guys in that 8-man tag + Jericho, Edge, and Kane and Christian isn't that far behind.

Now, the problem is after that there's a *huge* dropoff as far as the roster goes.

Do you guys really think they have intentionally made SD! worse? I think it all started last year when Heyman stopped writing and Vince/Steph became more involved in the direction of SD!. Since last year SD has become dull. I tape the shows and sometimes don't even watch.

Both Randy and Shelton have the same push but seriously neither were ready. Randy screws up his finisher and Shelton needs help on promos.

Orton has gone over HBK, RVD, and Foley in the ring, and has been pushed solidly for months. Benjamin has gotten one victory over HHH and has only been pushed for two weeks. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Guest Anglesault
Do you guys really think they have intentionally made SD! worse?

Without a doubt.

Ever since Angle became GM and there have been promo segments instead of matches at the end of the show, has definitely killed smackdown for me. Plus why don't they show the Undertaker on TV anymore. I think it would have been great for him to come out on the RAW LKottery show at the end and take out everyone. RAW has definitely improved since Survivor Series in my opinion.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Yes, I think that it was when we hit 2004 that things started to turn around. As we approached WrestleMania, it became more evident. And now, it's a 180 degree turn, although SmackDown! is (at the moment) not bad the in way that Raw was - Raw still possessed the electricity of a longer, live show.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Another thing that I think you're all forgetting is that SmackDown! suffered with the departure of the Undertaker. Could this have made Raw seem better than what it was?

Well, I highly doubt it, but SmackDown! still suffered.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

RAW has always been better to me because of one simple word. LIVE. Smackdown I can read what happens and say "Fuck this, I'll go out or watch some baseball". Raw anything can happen.

But the quality in wrestling dipped when Benoit left. On Smackdown, he pretty much had goo matches with all the talentless hosses like Morgan (green still) and Nathan Jones (pro-breast feeder).

And right now, I've cold turkeyed Smackdown for 3 weeks. If the spoilers suck, I won't watch again, and if they don't suck, odds are I'd rather watch Yankees/Devil Rays or whoever Yanks play on Thursday (if anyone).