TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDevilAndGodAreRagingInsideMe

Why ESPN sucks

Guest Smues

David Aldredge and Norman Chad are the only two replacement hosts I can think of that I like/can stand. With Aldredge leaving ESPN that narrows it down to just Norman Chad. Oh and Bob Ryan.

They apparently have decided to shunt PTI and ATH to ESPNNews as well.

That must be repeats because I watch both of those shows everyday.

And Jay Mariotti needs to leave the show. He has the biggest ego and hasn't missed a show yet. Ugh, I can't stand him.

Guest Redhawk

From ESPN.com's story on Ricky Williams' retirement:

His stunning retirement ends one of the most unusual NFL careers in recent history. The Saints traded away almost an entire draft to make him their first-round choice in 1999, the fifth pick overall. To spice up his arrival, the Heisman winner out of the University of Texas wore a wedding dress for photo ops with the coach who engineered the trade -- former Saints coach Mike Ditka.

Wasn't the "photo op" actually for the cover of ESPN Magazine? It seems like they're ashamed of their own cover shoot.

Unfortunately for Williams, New Orleans became a personal hell. He developed a personality disorder that required medication and often wore his helmet during interviews.

I didn't know wearing your helmet constituted as hellish.

And I know I'm griping, but the word "unusual" is used at least three times in the article. That just bugged me for some reason.

To spice up his arrival, the Heisman winner out of the University of Texas wore a wedding dress for photo ops with the coach who engineered the trade -- former Saints coach Mike Ditka.

That doesn't sound like they're ashamed of their cover shoot. That sounds like they're stating that he wore a wedding dress after he got drafted.

I didn't know wearing your helmet constituted as hellish.

It does when you have a personality disorder that makes you unable to talk to people normally.

Seems like you're reaching on those two examples.

Guest Redhawk

Saying "he posed for photo ops" when those photo ops were for your own magazine seems like a weird way to put it. I would think you'd say, "he posed on the cover of ESPN Magazine wearing a wedding dress" -- unless you wanted to downplay that such a cover ever happened.

The way the second sentence is phrased makes it sound like wearing his helmet was part of his "personal hell." Even after the anxiety disorder was made public, Williams said (or at least I remember reading) that the helmet thing didn't have much to do with it. That was more him just being eccentric.

Stephen A. Smith is very popular amongst the younger viewers

Get YOUR wiggity-whack new Stephen A. Smith action figure, with mad crazy screaming action! Just twist his ankle and he'll say one of four off-da-hizook phrases!

"The Pistons WILL go home in 4!"

"That offense was TERRWABUL!"

"LET! ME! TELL! YOU! WHY! THEY'LL! WIN!"

"SLAVA MEDVEDENKO!?!"

And now you can give Stephen A. a place to speak with the new NBA Times Square playset! Comes complete with desk, plasma TVs, and Greg Anthony.

And if that's not enough, now you can take Stephen A. from the studio to the street with the new Streetball playset! Have Stephen A. challenge Bill Walton to a game of hoops.

The National Basketball Association: buy all our playsets and toys.

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

I don't know how Stuart Scott is still allowed to cover sports. I mean, he nearly went blind because he couldn't catch a football.

That should be grounds for dismissal.

With Aldredge leaving ESPN that narrows it down to just Norman Chad. Oh and Bob Ryan.

For some reason, I've just never liked David Aldridge. He's always been very annoying to me, and I have no idea why. So I can't really say that I'm sorry he's leaving ESPN.

Bob Ryan is a great replacement host. But the next time Wilbon goes somewhere and needs a replacement, they should bring in WOODY PAIGE~!

Stephen A. Smith isn't horrible on PTI. He's alot more subdued and even tempered. Like a normal human being. It's when he's on SportsCenter, or in the NBA studio does he become terribly annoying.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Wow...... Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless on PTI...... I think I just died and went to hell.

Wow...... Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless on PTI...... I think I just died and went to hell.

I was wondering who that gay guy was.

I just saw the Flops countdown today when I had nothing better to do...how can they forget Eric Lindros? It seems like there were a lot of NFL rookies who were like "well they were good...but not as good as we thought."

Here's a guy that's supposed to have size, speed, strength, and pass Gretzky and Lemieux with ease. After refusing to play in Quebec City, Philadelphia basically trades half the organization over to the Nordiques for this guy, a whole slew of decent players like Duchesne, Hextall, and some dude from Sweden named Peter Forsberg. Lindros produces for a while, but his parents bitch constantly, he gets the captaincy taken away from him in public, and gets concussed time and time again. He was worse than Ryan Leaf, in my opinion, because the players that the Flyers sent away built the Nordiques into a Cup-caliber team over the years.

Guest Redhawk

To the casual sports fan, though, Lindros was considered a star at his peak. I'd know, because I'm not a hockey fan but I always knew who Lindros was. Didn't he lead the Flyers to the Finals one time? By that alone I wouldn't call him a bust.

I must say that I have reached the end of my rope with Mariotti.

Jeter, Sheffield, and Rodriguez are due up for New York. Chris Berman has the call:

"Well, this guy had a pretty decent ERA until now. You'd better get your blanket ready and go to bed soon, fans, but make sure to catch Sportscenter right after the game, which should be any minute now."

I am firmly convinced that this world would be a better place if Berman was lined up against a wall and shot...

But he's god!

God I hate it whenever they pimp him like he's something special.

But Lindros was SO hyped up. At the very least, I'd say Forsberg+ for Lindros has to go down as a boneheaded trade.

If they did a 'worst trades of the last 25 years' it'd definitely be high up on the list. But Lindros isn't quite bust-worthy enough to make the top 25 bust list. He's had a long (but injury-prone) career and has played well for most of it. He's certainly not the all-time great that he was hyped to be, but he hasn't been a complete bust. Alexander Daigle was a bigger bust than Lindros.

One thing that ESPN is doing right is bringing back the 'legends' in the upcoming weeks. I'm actually looking forward to Sportscenter on Sunday (Kilborn was one of my favorite anchors) and I haven't looked forward to a Sportscenter since the Cup ended.

STILL Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless

STILL!

Skip Bayless is making me LIKE Stephen A, which I didn't think was possible. I've never had the urge to punch someone until I heard and watched Skip Bayless for two straight days.

I'm pretty sure ESPN is mad at us all.

I am firmly convinced that this world would be a better place if Berman was lined up against a wall and shot...

But he's god!

God I hate it whenever they pimp him like he's something special.

I wouldn't mind it if ESPN overhyped Chris Berman's public execution like they do when he calls a game or does Sportscenter. That way, nobody would dare miss it.