TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

OAO Kill Bill Vol. 2 Thread...

Well Kill Bill Vol. 2 opens today, and I can't wait. I'll be seeing the 7:10 show and if no one wants to go, I'll be seeing it allllll by myself.

Here are the reviews done so far, well the ones they posted at Yahoo.

Critics Reviews Average Grade: B

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Steve Murray "Quentin Tarantino slows things down for a well-measured conclusion to his stylish revenge fantasy." more... A-

Chicago Tribune

Mark Caro "...for those seeking the vibrant innovation of Tarantino's first movies or the sheer rush of Kill Bill, Vol. 1, Vol. 2 feels like a dulled blade." more... C+

Cincinnati Enquirer

Margaret A. McGurk "Tarantino uses every tool on the work bench to bring the story home." more... B+

filmcritic.com

Sean O'Connell "The thrill has been completely abandoned in Volume 2..." more... D+

Hollywood Reporter

Kirk Honeycutt "Worth the wait, this luminous exploration of action-movie ethos expands terrifically on themes raised in Vol. 1." more... A

New York Times

Elvis Mitchell "...deliciously perverse..." more... B+

ReelViews

James Berardinelli "The moments of greatness make it worth seeing..." more... B

Rolling Stone

Peter Travers "It's a bold swing, and Tarantino knocks it out of the park." more... A

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

William Arnold "...an exhilarating piece of filmmaking..." more... B

I'll be seeing it tomorrow afternoon, unfortunately. I really wanted to go tonight but a bunch of other plans came up, damnit! :(

Guest thebigjig

I want to see it tonight but all of my friends are working... and I hate going to see movies alone. Tomorrow though, I'll be going

Guest MikeSC

Hmm, no comments on the gore, I noticed.

I guess only "The Passion" gets that critique.

Fair enough.

-=Mike

Two things:

One, this already had a thread, Mole. It's still on the first page.

Second, if you are gonna give a synopsis of critic reviews, at least use Rotten Tomatoes, which blows away that Yahoo crap.

www.rottentomatoes.com

According to RT, Kill Bill V2 is certified fresh at 88%. 88 fresh reviews, 12 rotten. It's also 91% fresh from the Cream of the Crop, with an average score of 8.1 out of 10.

This movie is going to be so awesome, and I've watched Volume 1 twice in the past three days. I can't wait for tonight.

Guest thebigjig

Fair enough.

-=Mike

completely different context... most of the gore in Kill Bill is done in an over the top, unrealistic, and completely comedic way... I did not get sick at my stomach over it because the action and gore could not be taken seriously

Its the exact same difference as a realistic action movie and an unrealistic action movie... if the action is DESIGNED to be unrealistic, then you're not supposed to take it seriously

...Or, don't use Critic reviews at all.

I honestly believe that movies are the one place where critics are to be believed. I think they don't know jack about music, wherein taste is more subjective, and although the same arguments can be applied to film, I'm more of the philsophy that a bad movie is a bad movie is a bad movie, and most critics will recognize it as such.

I just came home from it...

I'm the only one out of the 8 who saw it who thought it was better than the first.

This one is more story driven than the first, dont expect to see anything near the amount of action as was in Vol 1.

Only around this place could there be two, count 'em two, "One and Only" threads for the same exact thing.

Maybe not, where else does Mole post?

That movie owned- it was excellent. I don't know if it was better then the first but it was one amazing film.

And can we please merge both threads?

without spoilers for the moment...

this movie was AMAZING. Amazing. Different from the first, very.. but still a great piece of work. This one seemed a little mroe dialogue than action, which is the opposite of the first one.

Overwhelmed so I can't speak anymore without getting giggly :D

Guest wildpegasus

I watched the first one yesterday and thought it was "good" but wasn't even close to being blown away which dissapointed me because I thought I'd really enjoy it. It was probably enough to get me watch the 2nd volume sometime however. Samurai Jack's still the show for me.

Sorry, wrong thread.

This movie fucking owned. Since I am hungry as hell and need to go eat my lunch before it gets cold, let me just say I can't wait till the SE DVD comes out that merges the two volumes rightfully into one film like it was meant to be, along with the restored footage that was cut(crosses fingers). Wow. Just Wow. More to come later.

Did anyone stick around for the credits? In his RIP list, he gave a shout out to the Late & Great Italian Horror Master: Lucio Fulci

god, that movie was awesome.

The only problem was my friend and I went to see it with these two doosh bag coke heads, and when we were leaving, they turned to me and said "Ken, you never get to pick the movie again."

Fuckers.

But yeah, 9/10 from me.

Well it was a good movie, but it wasn't as good as Vol. 1. I'll give my full thoughts tomorrow when they sink in, but I thought the ending was too talky, even though I liked the ending.

I am not a fan of * ratings, so it gets a B+ from me.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Fair enough.

-=Mike

There's not nearly as much gore.

Yeah, I was just about to say that. This one was violent in a few scenes, but not gory at all. Well, one gory moment, but it's played for laughs.

The frenzy of the first volume is gone, and in its place a measured, superb conclusion to the story with lots of face-to-face scenes that are given lengths of time to develop. Vol. 2 is one of the most generously made films I've seen recently in terms of the time it gives its actors to just walk around their room, to talk, or to climb some stairs. Really great. Anyone who only wants more of the fight with the Crazy 88's will be disappointed, but everyone else ought to love this. It was surprisingly calm for Tarantino, and I thought that was really great.

Honestly, I don't event think the movie should be judged as two seperate movies, although in the scenario that played out, that is exactly what ended up happening. I can just imagine how fun it will be to watch them as one long epic film.

Guest Retro Rob

Fair enough.

-=Mike

There was about 1/10,000 the amount of gore in Kill Bill Vol. 2 than in The Passion.

Guest JMA

Wow. I really enjoyed this movie. It didn't have near the level of violence as the first, but it was good nonetheless. There was more drama here and we got to see some of the backstory. I agree that the two volumes shouldn't be looked at as two movies. V2 isn't really a sequel.

Sidenote: Once the movie was over, the audience in the theatre clapped. I'd like to think I incited some of the applause.